[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people think the USA is Anglo? Jamaica is more Anglo than us
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (205 KB, 916x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
205 KB, 916x1000
Why do people think the USA is Anglo? Jamaica is more Anglo than us
>>
Errr...because you speak English ?
>>
we do speak english, and I guess we would make a big deal out of it but we're the greatest and most powerful country on earth so we don't have to (unlike canada, australia, and new zealand lel)
>>
>>52487427
It's because we're white, we speak English and we have a lot of British ancestry.
>>
>>52487427
They are Jewish by birthright.
>>
>>52487504
Don't you guys have more German ancestors ?
>>
>>52487427
Because, Miguel, most towns in the US outside your Spanish-speaking spic community in Arizona are majority English-speaking
>>
>>52487554
technically I think so, but when you take into account that the irish scottish etc there is more I think
>>
>>52487427

Look back over the list of Presidents. Nearly all have surnames originating in the UK. The meme about Wasps traditionally holding all the power is true.
>>
>>52487554
It's exaggerated. The truth is the greatest percentage of ancestry is British, but it tends to be overlooked because it's sort of the default and not as interesting as German or Irish or whatever. Most people are mixed anyway, so they just go with what's the most interesting for "muh heritage" purposes.
>>
>>52487617
India has the most English speakers in the world. Are they Anglo?
>>
>>52487554
That's because a ton of people don't report their British ancestry, because European immigrants (especially Germans, Irish, and Italians) came here and formed their cultural identities. As a result, people here today would rather view their ethnicities as something with personality rather than boring old British, which was always sort of the standard. I think lingering anti-British sentiment from the Revolution feeds into that, because people then kind of purged themselves of their British identity and created an American one. This leads to a lot of people (especially in the South) to report their ethnicity as "American" rather than Scottish or something of the like.
>>
>>52487554
It's actually quite hard to know because white Americans are mixed as fuck

But it seems like the largest European migrations were, in order:

>German
>Ulster Scots/"Scotch Irish"
>Irish
>Legitimate English
>Italians
>Scots
>Jews (mostly from Russia and Germany)
>Poles
>Scandinavians
>Dutch

In addition, there are indigenous French, Dutch, and Spanish minorities from territories annexed in the 19th century and earlier
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.