[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My Canadian friend says that in Canada, no one ever talks to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: g2DQgr5.jpg (64 KB, 960x699) Image search: [Google]
g2DQgr5.jpg
64 KB, 960x699
My Canadian friend says that in Canada, no one ever talks to people they don't know on the street. He says that when he's in America and people just randomly talk to strangers, that's normal, but in Canada only crazy people do that. Is that true of Canada, and is it true of other countries?
>>
>talking to complete strangers

Autism
>>
>>52444502
>>
>>52444502
Quebecers will talk shit to strangers
They will use the second person singular and will say how much they hate your religion
>>
personally if complete stranger started just randomly talking to me I would feel threatened and great discomfort
I think its common to cross the street or otherwise avoid a complete stranger if he randomly started talking to you in a panicy manner

>tfw on the bus, or in uni, or a public place, secretly looking at people around my age, wondering if they are as lonely as I am and if they also want to talk about stuff like I do, but too scared to ever start a conversation about anything that isnt protocol for public (the weather, what time it is, maybe directions around city)
lmao dood kill me soon pls
>>
>>52444502
Not only Canada, a lot of europeans do the same. I guess it's just autism.
>>
It's not normal to talk to strangers in most places I think. Like people will answer if you ask directions or time, but why would you start talking to someone if you really don't have anything to say? Why would you care how my day was? We don't know each other and we most likely don't have anything in common, why pretend to be interested? It's uncomfortable, no point in creating relationships that aren't deep and genuine.
>>
No that's bullshit. I talk to strangers all the time
>>
>>52444502
Talking to strangers when you're drunk is normal procedure, but talking to strangers while sober is the sign of a nutjob.
>>
>>52444667
This is not true.
>>
>>52444502
People have different reactions, if I try to talk to a total stranger here there are 3 possible outcomes;
1. casual chit chat bah blah was nice to meet you cya
2.completely ignore you
3.look at you scared and start walking faster
The later being the most common answer.
>>
>>52444779
905 here. Everyone is friendly and talks to each other. Same with in New Brunswick
>>
>>52444750
You should understand better than most finland

At any moment we might be forced to defend our countries from a sudden communist invasion. The person next to you is your comrade, you should gain some degree of familiarity so you can better function as a team while repelling the red menace!
>>
>>52444840
I know I can trust a fellow Finn. It's no problem to get along when it's needed. But no point in abusing other people's personal space if there's no reason to.
>>
>>52444839
Generally the further from Toronto, the easier it is to get along with people imo.

>not bantering with random neighbors you haven't met before at your timmies and later becoming best buddies
Literally how I met my best friend.
>>
Would be so annoying if some random jackass wanted to talk to you everytime you go outside. I had a half mexican half American guy babble non stop at a burger king in Poland for twenty minutes.
>>
File: 1413385447165.png (2 MB, 1404x936) Image search: [Google]
1413385447165.png
2 MB, 1404x936
>>52444575
this
>>
In america old black people talk to you are bus stops
>>
>>52444750
that's actually a pretty fair representation of your points finlandbro. Here in NZ We will get chatty with strangers and honestly I think it just boils down to "you don't want to look like an asshole"
>>
And you can't create familiarity by talking to random people on the street. You just naturally become friends with people who are meant to be your soulmates. Then you start building a close friendship, which is a slow but rewarding process. I have 3 good friends and good relationship with family, that's all I need.
>>
>>52444997
It's cultural

both talking to strangers and not talking to them has been called autism in this thread and both are regularly called rude. That makes it completely culture dependent and subjective
>>
>>52445038
Yeah. I went to Europe and I'll never forget how depressed I was when cashiers and stuff didn't small talk. Felt so dead inside desu.
>>
>>52444502
Here in Alaska, strangers treat you like old friends. It's a super friendly state
>>
>tfw people dont smalt talk with me ever and I don't know if its because I'm ugly or because everyone here is dead inside
>>
>>52445110
Where do you live?
>>
>>52445077
There's no reason for grocery store cashier to do smalltalk, they don't get ass kissing tip for it anyway. An owner of smaller private store could do it since it might make the customer buy something.
>>
>>52445139
Montreal
>>
>>52445077
Even the cashier small talks in Canada? I get so god damn angry when the cashiers small talk to people in front of me which is slowing down the process. It doesn't happen often though.
>>
This week i was waiting on the line to put some cash on my bus card. The i started to talk with a stranger and chatted for like 30mins.

Still thinking that guys knows /int/. He acted like someone who would access this place.
>>
>>52444916
Same but with mc donalds
>>
If a guy I don't know came to talk to me for no reason I'd think he thinks I'm gay and tries to hit on me
The only exception is homeless drunks
>>
>>52445312
>I'd think he thinks I'm gay
And you aren't?
>>
>>52444826
It's true, they will remind you that your ostentatious religion is hurting their rights to a laïc society, and they will tell you rudely in the second person singular.
>>
>>52445363
That depends how good he is
>>
Europe confirmed nonwhite. White societies engage in small talk all the time due to high trust.

Tbh even nonwhites can do it here you have no excuse.
>>
>>52444502
>walk around with a big smile on my face
>people say hi and hello to me all the time
>people start conversations with me on the bus or on the street

just smile
and people will feel more comfortable around you
everyone wants to have a friend
>>
File: topkek.jpg (9 KB, 480x250) Image search: [Google]
topkek.jpg
9 KB, 480x250
>>52445441
>implying random chitchat isn't a nignog/ayyrab trait
>>
>>52444575
Lol, being a social person isn't Autism you dumbfuck.
>>
>>52445187
so do store transactions just happen in complete silence in europe?
here its generally like
>hi
>hi
>how are you? (insincere)
>good thanks
>need a bag today?
>no
>ok thats $5
>thanks, bye
>>
>>52445525
How is telling the price and if the customer wants a bag small talk?
>>
>>52445525
>hey
>hey
>you need the receipt?
>no thanks
>thanks
>>
Even though I'm a half-Asian manlet, some qt French foreign exchange student went out with me during my sophomore year of college because she was convinced I was some alpha because I looked her in the eyes when I talked to her out of the blue. Apparently that's a very forward thing to do in Yurop.
>>
>>52445551
according to some autists itt just looking another person in the eyes is basically small talk.
>>
File: feelsgoodman.jpg (31 KB, 418x371) Image search: [Google]
feelsgoodman.jpg
31 KB, 418x371
>>52444502
>be anglo
>be more social than everybody else
non-anglos = neets
>>
>>52445614
according to whom?

obviously we say hi, need the bag/receipt, thanks and bye

all you added was 'how are you?'
>>
>>52445525
>hi
>hi
>*cashier rings up stuff*
>that'll be X€
>do you need a receipt
>no/yes
>thanks
>thanks
>>
>>52445622
>t. wizard
>>
File: CV6GvEgWsAAZKMm.jpg (73 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
CV6GvEgWsAAZKMm.jpg
73 KB, 600x600
>>52445622
>being annoying to foreigners in a bus

>social
>>
File: golden trump.png (22 KB, 658x643) Image search: [Google]
golden trump.png
22 KB, 658x643
>>52445729
>>52445693
>i talk to random people on the internet but not in real life
>t. neets
>>
>>52444502
I believe it's the opposite?

People here are generally really nice to strangers. That may be because i'm on Prince Edward Island, though.

This summer was the first time i drove accross Canada.

New Brunswick: went to a gas station in Frederiction, struck up a conversation with a stranger at a gas station, as a cool old guy.

Went to a wendy's in Edmundston, 3/4 of the staff was black (super weird to see in New Brunswick). They barely spoke English but they were very friendly actually. Ended up getting my order wrong but ya'know.

Quebec: No one was a dick to me. Driving wasn't crazy. (both go against stereotypes).

Ontario: Was driving on the 401 when traffic was going slow, guy slows down beside me and says he's from PEI too, we have a conversation out of our windows about traffic and all that jazz. Good times.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.