[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>be software engineer >want to live abroad and learn a
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
>be software engineer
>want to live abroad and learn a language for a few years then return to the US
>check salaries in europe
>30k/yr average for engineer
>???
>even a senior google engineer in the london is barely 60k

What's wrong with technology jobs in europe? Why do senior engineers get paid less than 20 year olds here?
>>
>>52439839
what's your knowledge of python like?

I've check Software QC and test automation in London and it did pay well, a guy I used to work with is there now making some serious dough.

Maybe I'll try that shit too
>>
>>52439839
>Why do senior engineers get paid less than 20 year olds here?
Europe is poor
>>
>>52439839
Engineer are well paid in the US, I don't know why you would want to go elsewhere. If you really want to hit some cash, go work at Dubai.
>>
>>52439839

do you get to realize how much money you make now?

It literally takes 100 years of full time slave labor for 50% of the world's population in order to make what you make in a year sitting in a desk.

btw as I understand living expenses in the us are almost double of eu (which also vary wildly by country).
the money are enough to live normally, but when it comes to products of technology etc the high salaries in the US really make a difference.
It's better to come just for vacations desu.
>>
Considering how easy it is to puke out shit code, they don't need to be paid a lot
>>
>>52439839
>getting a degree in a meme field
>>
>>52442700

No no, the senior engineer cleans up the puke code that the junior engineers all vomited out and then tries to arrange it into a semblance of respectability
>>
>>52441037
>btw as I understand living expenses in the us are almost double of eu (which also vary wildly by country).

whar? no.
>>
File: tspikes.jpg (9 KB, 175x211) Image search: [Google]
tspikes.jpg
9 KB, 175x211
>>52442718

You mean the most important field of the 21st century?
>>
Can you code in non English languages? Or do non English speakers have to learn English and then learn the computer programming languages?
>>
>>52442718
He should've gotten a traditional Scandinavian degree like women's studies or african history right
>>
>>52441037
>btw as I understand living expenses in the us are almost double of eu
'no'
>>
File: 1420825346719.png (17 KB, 274x242) Image search: [Google]
1420825346719.png
17 KB, 274x242
>>52442770
Ah, right, the most important field of the 21st century, of course!
>>
>>52439839
Maybe because their college is much cheaper and easier to get in for the average Sven or Nigel than someone here so the amount of engineers increases and value decreases.
>>
I wish I could have become a code monkey, I've recently discovered that it's a dream job for me.

Instead I'm stuck in mech engineering. But hopefully I can switch to energy engineering, which is much more interesting (though I have no idea how shitty the job market is).
>>
>>52442782
The nature of programming languages means you can be fluent without speaking a word of English
>>
>>52439839
I noticed this too. Out of college programming I make a bit over $82,000 with full benefits (healthcare, etc.) and pay a small tax rate. Going to Europe I would be taking a large pay cut not even counting taxes. I don't understand that at all, but perhaps it's part of why they have more income equality? Lots of people make the same?
>>
File: smug pepe.png (13 KB, 528x424) Image search: [Google]
smug pepe.png
13 KB, 528x424
>30k/yr average for engineer

Hey there's a silverlinning:

If you'd earn more than that you would jump to the burgois/explotator/neo-liberal tax-braket and get 90% income tax.
>>
>>52442865
This, engineers are dime a dozen here, especially software ones because anyone can learn to do that even without any schools. But it's true that wages on average are lower here and there are many reasons for it.

I've no idea why any successful American would move to EU unless money doesn't matter to him much. I thought that this was something everyone knew.
>>
>>52442990
I read that in Finland there are a ton of people with STEM degrees and there aren't nearly enough STEM jobs for them so they end up underemployed.

Like this guy, he drives a coach but he's a superautisthuman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bIcbnDXSRg
>>
>>52442990

We see these cute HDI graphs that put us in the same league as these countries while we forget on the other hand that being a middle/upper middle class American is the best existence on the planet (ignoring the poor of course)
>>
>>52443058
But the poor are most of the country
>>
>>52439839
This is also one of the sector with the highest paid job.
Welcome to Europoor, where the memes are reality.
>>
>>52443049
oh shit, I've already seen one of that guy's videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntxa9x45gs0

It's actually a very good video, the only good explanation of the movie "Primer" (a complete and utter mindfuck).
>>
>>52443099

eh

no

30% tops
>>
>>52443049
That's true, at least engineers are having some difficulties getting hired nowadays. Though I think that the guy in your vid only works as a bus driver because he's super autistic like you said, he's competent enough to get hired if he just wanted to move and finds an employer who doesn't mind his autism.

>>52443058
It's actually pretty funny how some Americans (mainly students) seem to admire the Nordic model without really even looking into any of the difficulties the countries might be having or how the locals criticize the system. I bet lots of them would have a heart attack if they actually saw the wages and prices here. Then again, there's same kind of blind admiration towards the American way of things over here.
>>
>>52443302
It has to do with the sort of "collapse" of Nokia after it got bought by Microsoft right? I read in Reuters I think that that's a large cause of the recession you guys are having right now, Nokia had a ton of subcontractors so now that they're not as big a deal it kinda rippled through the economy

I think you'd find very few Americans who are content with how our systems are currently set up, but nothing gets done about it because everyone disagrees on how to fix it. Very few Americans are happy with how our healthcare system operates, university cost etc. but there are different views on fixing it. The Nordic system is the one that the left obviously likes but the right prefers other means.
>>
>>52439839
It's the same with the medical field.
>pharmacist
>$122k/yr in Texas with 10 years of experience
>₤48k/yr in London with 10 years of experience
>>
>>52443421
I think doctors who work in the private sector in England make comparable wages but I'm not sure how much private work there is due to the NHS.
>>
>>52443388
Nokia is a big part of it, the country is so small that a single big company can dominate the job market. I personally know some people who lost their jobs with Nokia and haven't been able to find a stable one ever since. But there's also other reasons, like the euro and EU. The fact that both hiring people and running your own business are heavily taxed makes things worse.

It's interesting to think about what the perfect system would be like. I'd probably be in an economically better situation if I was born in to the same kind of family in USA (white middle class) but then again the kind of poverty that exists there isn't even a thing in Finland. Healthcare affordable to all is a great thing but it's getting worse and worse along with the economy. Free education is great in theory, everyone can become anything if they just put their mind into it, but it also makes the educated go to countries where they earn more because if something is free it's also less valuable.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.