[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why was the American revolution the only one that actually worked?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
File: York town.jpg (115 KB, 734x567) Image search: [Google]
York town.jpg
115 KB, 734x567
Why was the American revolution the only one that actually worked?
>>
File: poverty.png (35 KB, 1360x790) Image search: [Google]
poverty.png
35 KB, 1360x790
Divine providence
Manifest destiny
Being in the middle of a resource rich continent populated by backwards savages
>>
revolution on ez mode
>>
Worked as in how? French revolution changed the world more drastically.
>>
>>52429142
France, memes aside whats the history behind the white flag? You guys seem to adore it.
>>
Not every revolution had massive financial, logistical and manpower backing from half of mainland Europe tbqh sempai.
>>
>>52429142

They started from scratch.

Risking your like to take control of an established great power like France or Russia in the manner of Stalin or Napoleon is a powerful temptation.

Youre less likely to risk your life to take control of a fledgeling, literally who experimental nation.
>>
>>52429330
It was the royality flag everybody knows that.
Paris flag was Blue and Red.
Blue White Red, means we owned king.
>>
>Implying
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glorious_Revolution
>>
>>52429142
It wasn't, other revolutions work like Haiti against France
>>
>French revolution
>Japanese revolution
>May Revolution
>Greek Revolution
>>
>>52429142
The Dutch one before it was quite successful.
>>
File: USA vs democracies.jpg (531 KB, 884x2068) Image search: [Google]
USA vs democracies.jpg
531 KB, 884x2068
The revolution was a treasonous chimpout and a failure, as the US ended up vastly worse than the loyal and pure colonies
>>
>>52429142
Brits can only fight zulu people.
>>
>>52429501
>>52429510
I think he was talking about creating a successful nation
Haiti is not successful by any metric
The French Republic lasted for like 10 years before Napoleon took over, and then reverted to monarchy for several decades
Japan worked
I guess the southern cone is decent
Greece has lasted long enough
>>
>>52429330
It's the colour of Monarchy, thus of our kings. It became the surrender flag because when our ermines surrendered, they waved the white flag to show that they did recognized our victory.
>>
> Why was the American revolution the only one that actually worked?
>France? what's a France?
>>
>>52429142
France and Spain.
>>
>hey guys we need to raise taxes to finance a war is that ok
>SHALL
>NOT
>BE
>INFRINGED
>>
>>52429651
October Revolution created us. So it's the most successful and relevant one.
>>
>>52429683

A failed revolution inspired by ours
>>
After we defeated Spain and the HRE we literally had to fend off attacks by the HRE, France and England. And we managed through it all and even get twice as rich as any of them. I'd say that's fairly successful.
>>
File: 27207a.jpg (52 KB, 580x300) Image search: [Google]
27207a.jpg
52 KB, 580x300
Name me one better working Revolution then the Meiji revolution:
pro tip: you cant

Japan before the revolution:
>Stuck in the dark ages
>People lived like 40 years
>Japan about to become a colony of some european nation

Japan after the revolution
>One of the most modern nations of the World
>Pople lived longer then any other part of the world
>Japan became a Colonial power itself
>>
File: 1444438327898.jpg (17 KB, 252x276) Image search: [Google]
1444438327898.jpg
17 KB, 252x276
>>52429771
>finland
>relevant
>>
>>52429703
>>52429683
>>52429278
Yeah, worked tremendously. France turned into a dictatorship, then back to a monarchy in 15 years.
>>
>>52429826
I was on about why the American revolution worked.
>>
anglo heritage i suppose
>>
>>52429826
But it created lasting effect of toppling down tyranny and oligarchy, eventually paving the way (or pretty much forcing) rest of european monarchies to turn into constitutional monarchies and giving people voice. It's not like Americans didn't have a civil war, or smooth sailing all the way.
>>
We fucking failed.
>>
>>52429982

The Declaration of the Rights of Man and of the Citizen was written by Lafayette with help from Thomas Jefferson

>>52430058
okay retard
>>
>>52429982
We did it before them.
>>
>>52430058
>get more land than you hoped for at the end
>that land gain eventually leads to becoming the richest and third largest nation in the world
yeah but overall it was a loss i agree
>>
>>52430126
Okay?
>>
It was a war of independence, not a revolution.
>>
We went from a Spanish cash cow to one of the richest and most powerful countries in the world for a while. In addition, it became a centre of free scholarly thought without too much interference from religion.

I'd say we did pretty well for ourselves.
>>
>>52430178
You had been a non-monarchy before. France was the bastion of royalty, if it would fall because of the people, there would be no country which could withstand the public pressure.
>>
>>52430263

Ours is the most influential

>>52430267
A revolution (from the Latin revolutio, "a turn around") is a fundamental change in political power or organizational structures that takes place in a relatively short period of time when the population rises up in revolt against the current authorities. Aristotle described two types of political revolution:

Complete change from one constitution to another
Modification of an existing constitution.[1]
>>
>>52429982
>This revolt was one of the first successful secessions in Europe, and led to one of the first European republics of the modern era
>The Dutch revolt against their lawful sovereign, most obviously illustrated in the Act of abjuration (1581), implied that a sovereign could be deposed by the population if there was agreement that he did not fulfill his God given responsibility.[citation needed] This act by the Dutch challenged the concept of a divine right of kings[citation needed], and eventually led to the Dutch Republic. The acceptance of a non-monarchic country by the other European powers in 1648 spread across Europe, fuelling resistance against the divine power of Kings
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Revolt
>>
>>52429142
>implying
>>
>>52430058
To have written a bill of rights, and still have it stand and be the ultimate legal authority over 200 years later is quite amazing. Especially the separation between church and state bit, which is unique even today.

Shame you'll sign away your rights so easily though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJVZa9_Ha5c
>>
>>52430335
We didnt exist before that. We were part of the HRE and Frankish empire before that. And they all had kings.
>>
>>52430455

I seen that too. That's the modern left for you. Luckily as they get older they realize how stupid they were
>>
>>52429142
>Revolution

Beside that, what do you mean "the only one that actually worked"? Do you know how many revolutions there were in history?
>>
>>52429330
It actually was our flag at some point.
Back then, when you wanted to surrender, you raised the enemy flag, and our army were so victorious that the white flag became the official flag of the surrendering.
>>
>>52430126
>>52430257
>>52430455

Our revolution was a success but overall we became 100 times worse than what we had fought against.
>>
>>52430474
Weren't you a "republic" after seceding from Habsburg dominion? But think of it this way if finland was to leave euro vs germany, which would change the course od history more?
>>
File: 2-revolutions.jpg (38 KB, 584x324) Image search: [Google]
2-revolutions.jpg
38 KB, 584x324
>>
>>52430714
Why are you comparing us with irrelevant countries like Germany and Finland?
>>
wasn't the french one revolutionary
>>
>>52430712
Compared to other countries in the world that censor what people can say and have a mandatory abortion law (france) we have it pretty well
>>
>>52430828
I do not disagree that we have it pretty well in many aspects, but the experiment of limited government failed. We don't have representation anymore. We have a huge, overbearing government that violates the constitution every day. We have a private central bank and we're trillions in debt.

Our jobs are disappearing and our real GDP is going down. We're crumbling and no one wants to admit it.
>>
>>52430714
Not exactly. Nominally it was a republic, but in practice the head of state was for much of the republic's history a Prince from the house of Orange. One of the reasons the republic declined as much as it did was rivalry between the monarchists and republicans.
>>
>>52429142
Depends on what you mean by worked

Technically many revolutions worked, most of the Latin American colonies succeeded in throwing off the rule of Spain, France succeeded in overthrowing its king.

If you mean worked in the sense of creating a lasting and effective government, then to that I don't have an answer, but probably it has something to do with already living in a relatively free culture with a well established rule of law that they could follow the example of. Britain already could basically function without the king at that point if they needed to, though he still actually wielded power at that time.
>>
>>52430951

First of all you do have representation. And 90% of the laws that affect your daily life are state laws. That wouldn't happen if there wasn't a limited federal government
>>
>>52430676
I hope this is true
>>
>>52430807
Netherlands is orions belt.
UK is the woman.
Germany is the man with the gun marching in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7ojSW5pODk
>>
>>52431045
The bit about it actually being their flag at some point is true

>In 1873, an attempt to reestablish the monarchy failed when the Comte de Chambord refused to accept the Tricolor. He demanded the return of the white flag before he would accept the throne, a condition that proved unacceptable.
>>
>>52431026
>i don't know how my own constitution works

Federal law supersedes state law, cletus. We have the worlds highest prison population, even worse than Soviet Russia. Wake the fuck up.

http://www.kowal.com/?q=How-Many-Federal-Laws-Are-There%3F
>>
>>52429567
Ol' Georgey was a good general.
Shame he was a traitor and no better than a communist in 1917, Russia.
>>
>>52429567
You're richer because you left.
That's all I have.
>>
>>52431075
The guy that's swatting bugs is France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMDGYKLSzk
>>
>>52429516
>>52429796
The Netherlands never had a revolution

>>52430590
I'm talking about longevity.

The values originally demanded in the bill of rights are still the highest legal authority in the US. What other country has had that?
>>
>>52431177

God you are stupid

9. The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

10. The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people
>>
>>52431177
>Federal law supersedes state law, cletus.

No it doesn't
The Constitution supersedes state law
The powers given to the federal government by the Constitution supersede state law

State law supersedes federal law unless it somehow comes from the constitution. Unfortunately or not, the Federal government is very creative in finding ways its powers come from the constitution and thus a lot of laws supersede state law as a result

For example, the federal ban on certain drugs is justified as affecting interstate commerce, something federal government has control over, and thus why the federal government can ban drugs for all states
>>
>>52431376

Literally the 80 years war
>>
>>52429651
>I think he was talking about creating a successful nation

i'm sorry tyrone, you lost claim to that when you elected a kenyan for a second term.
>>
>>52431477
That's the problem with it, it lasted 80 fucking years.

Not a sudden turn of events, no >>revolutionary<< overthrow of government. It ended in a long negotiation that gave the dutch their independence.

That's why you wont find the word 'revolution' when someones writing about it.
>>
>>52430828
>mandatory abortion law
Based France
You should do the same to blacks.
Also source.
>>
>>52429501
Haiti is still in a state of vassalage to France though, due to "reparations" they are defacto slaves to France, this is enforced by the whole west.
>>
>>52429142
>french revolution didn't work
>>
>>52429142
Because it was an independence war, not a revolution
>>
>>52430455
>bill of rights
>ultimate legal authority
have you been living under a rock? The bill of rights is no longer relevant since our government realized they can shit all over it with no consequences.
>>
>>52430828
>mandatory abortion law (france)
wat
>>
>>52429567
This chart isn't even accurate
>>
>>52436137
shh, let the murriclap live in his fantasy world.
>>
>>52435127
This tbch, no government was toppled and society pretty much carried on as it had before the war. In proper liberal/communist revolutions like with France, China, Russia, etc. society gets completely turned upside down, traditional institutions are destroyed, and you get a new regime.
>>
>>52429797
Japan before the revolution:
Be strong ninja samurais with strong moral values.
>Japan after the revolution
Lose ww2 and became american puppet.
Yeah nah.
>>
>>52429142
A revolution is about bringing down the old social order, not about building something new.

In that regard, the American revolution has failed (since the social order wasn't changed at all) and many other (French and Russian, to quote the most famous) have succeeded.

What comes afterwards is pretty irrelevant, as far as the revolution is concerned.
>>
File: 8NBHvA3thk4.jpg (73 KB, 807x538) Image search: [Google]
8NBHvA3thk4.jpg
73 KB, 807x538
>>52431177
> We have the worlds highest prison population, even worse than Soviet Russia.
not once, not even even if you imprison all criminal scum like negroes and latinos, still won't be close to 30-40%

pic was random but then I realised it somehow resambles Stalin and ukranian peasans lol
>>
>>52437647

They would have become a Russian puppet if you had it your way, Ivan Bydlovich
>>
>>52437780

I would say taking the monarchy, Parliament and British aristocracy out of the social equation is very much bringing down the social order. Did you even read what you typed?
>>
>>52437979
>They would have become a Russian puppet if you had it your way, Ivan Bydlovich
Like GDR?
>>
>>52437979
>Ivan Bydlovich
if you are native usa and not immigrant from russia, I applaud your language skills
>>
>>52438037
Not really. Political and social order can be very independant: the same people had money before and after american independance.
>>
>>52435127
This. France and Russia had revolutions. Slave owning aristocrats rebelling against the ability for the parliament of Great Britain to legislate them is not a revolution.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.