[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you feel about foreigners who are good at your language?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7
File: my white friend.png (558 KB, 680x541) Image search: [Google]
my white friend.png
558 KB, 680x541
I don't mean those fags who know how to order a beer and clumsily hit on a girl, I mean people who can at least read a newspaper, watch TV, have real conversations, etc.

Do you like it? Dislike it? Are indifferent?

Pic not particularly related.
>>
It's normal for us. Basically everyone I meet speaks English, no matter where they're from.
>>
weird
>>
>>52357259
This is my general experience too. Western people expect others to learn their language.

On the other hand, where I am it's kind of strange. Some people seem really happy to meet foreigners with good Korean, others seem really uncomfortable and nonplussed about it.

>>52357421
Can you expand on this? I've gotten the impression that a lot of Koreans react similarly. Isn't it natural for people to make an effort to pick up the language of wherever they're living, especially if they're staying a while?

What exactly weirds you out about it?
>>
>>52357226
i don't see how you could dislike someone achieving a high level of understanding of your language

if anything it's impressive
>>
>>52357462
>Western people expect others to learn their language.
Yeah, if you live in our country. I don't at all expect it if i'm in their country. In fact I always make an effort to learn bits and pieces of the local language if I don't speak it already.
>>
>>52357462
maybe they hate you because you're a creepy weeb
>>
>>52357596
Define "creepy weeb"
>>
>>52357620
you listen to k-pop while being a grown man
>>
>>52357674
>implying I'm particularly into k-pop

And even if I was (which I'm not) there are plenty of grown Korean men who are, so I don't see what the big deal would be
>>
File: 1450422300683.jpg (49 KB, 550x535) Image search: [Google]
1450422300683.jpg
49 KB, 550x535
>>52357462
>others seem really uncomfortable and nonplussed about it.
why? afraid they'll fuck your women?

fucking asians man, neurotic and insular to a fault
>>
>>52357226
On the hand it's nice to see some effort to learn the local language on the other hand it's weird. Whenever I encountered native english speakers who tried to talk to me in german I always responded in english although they probably tried to improve their German.
>>
File: 1424056072016.png (94 KB, 239x406) Image search: [Google]
1424056072016.png
94 KB, 239x406
People in this country seem to appreciate when I make efforts to speak Spanish as opposed to just asking if they speak English (in Spanish.) Besides a few people giggling at me, everyone is really happy to help out here and I haven't had a bad experience yet with my fumbling through words.

In America, I was really critical about "if you live in my country, then you should learn to speak the language!" So I really appreciated those who could speak both English and their mother tongue. Didn't matter how fluent they were, the effort was what was important. I was especially impressed with those who were fluent, as being bilingual is pretty cool in the US.

I absolutely loathe foreigners who don't even attempt learning English in my homeland though. I wanna give them a big freedom-loaded boot in their ass back to their own country.
>>
>>52357462
Language is strongly tied with culture, so even if they have much ability enough to literate my language, they look weird to me because they haven't mastered the unspoken rules of the culture it belongs to.
But again, if they have lived here long and mastered that culture side, it still look like something is different to me.
And it also depends on what race the foreigner is.
>>
>>52357746
They probably sucked at German, so you felt awkward about continuing the conversation in the language.

In my experience, when you're good enough, the locals of a given place will almost always respond in the local language, regardless of their attitudes towards people learning it.

>>52357717
I'm not sure what the reason is. And it's only SOME people who have this attitude desu. Most people are pretty chilled or happy that I've put in the effort.

The funny part though is that the people who are weird about speaking Korean to foreigners seem to get weirder about it the more I improve, which is curious.
>>
>>52357746

no they were secretly hoping you would respond in english, you did good
>>
>>52357886
But by that logic, shouldn't you feel equally uncomfortable speaking to Western people in English - knowing that you're almost certainly making cultural mistakes yourself?

I guess the difference might be that you don't know when you're doing it in English, but are very aware when foreigners are doing it in your language. Maybe this is a cultural difference in itself, but when I speak to someone who has about as good English as I do Korean, I feel about as equally at ease or not at ease. One way, they have to put up with me being a bit awkward, the other way I have to put up with them
>>
>>52357746
>Whenever I encountered native english speakers who tried to talk to me in german I always responded in english although they probably tried to improve their German.
Now this is a sterotype of Germans that is only proven right again and again.
>>
I like them and appreciate their efforts very much, I fail the see what the bad implications of a foreigner speaking my language could be.
>>
>>52358063
I think it's more of a case of it being way more easier for both parts. If you're German is good enough, he obviously wouldn't make the switch. I do the same thing.
>>
>>52358143
>you're
>>
>>52358143
>>52358173
Well memed my friend :^)
>>
>>52358143
Yes that's what I think too. If I know my english is better than his german it's much easier to talk in english.
>>
>>52358197
Thanks, I'll try proofreading before pressing enter and not after in the future:^)
>>
>>52358208
What if he'd ask you to talk in German just to improve his level?
>>
>>52357226
now, can you tell me, please, why in the fuck mono asiatico hijo de una gran puta you ask a question about language and post that stupid pic, huh? 감사합니다!
>>
>>52357226
Feels good man.

The good thing is that every white person speaking French sounds classy as fuck.

Shitskin often have a funny accent.
Slavs sounds badass.
>>
File: 1388076881054.jpg (6 KB, 147x139) Image search: [Google]
1388076881054.jpg
6 KB, 147x139
>>52358277
>mono asiatico hijo de una gran puta
>>
>>52357829
reee yanquis fueron
>>
I don't encounter foreigners in person, but it wasn't until I started talking to a few Germans online did I start to appreciate others trying to learn English.

My 'main' German friend that I've known for a few years, has improved his conversational English a lot in the time that I've known him, but his written messages give off a huge foreign vibe.

Either way, I give foreigners speaking English credit for being bilingual ever since I begin trying to learn another language on my own.
>>
>foreigners good at speaking Italian

I only met Eritreans that could do it. And with regional accents, too. Can post vids if interested
>>
>>52358447
post videos pls
>>
>>52357462
>Some people seem really happy to meet foreigners with good Korean, others seem really uncomfortable and nonplussed about it

1. A lot of Koreans don't like foreigners being in Korea, they want you to go home and by learning the language you are more likely to stay.

2. Koreans are insecure and some people are worried that you'll start to despise them the more you learn about them.

3. Koreans are competitive and if you get fluent in both languages you have social and professional advantages they don't have so some people will 열폭 about that.
>>
>>52357226
few people are good at spanish, most foreigners tend to be shitty as fuck at spanish and know a word or two, or have TERRIBLE grammar. So if i ever come across with someone who speaks spanish correctly, i would be surprised desu
>>
File: 1414484410979.png (13 KB, 530x492) Image search: [Google]
1414484410979.png
13 KB, 530x492
>>52358447
>Eritreans
They were probably just southerners italian.
>>
>>52358490
An you can understand it?
>>
>>52358568
Honorary Italians they are for sure
>>
>>52358568
T. Mahmadou Nhgongo, true frenchman
>>
File: 1443593438608.jpg (9 KB, 231x233) Image search: [Google]
1443593438608.jpg
9 KB, 231x233
>>52358568
n o i c e
>>
>>52358534
I met a Korean guy in Japan who suddenly asked me 5-6 questions in flawless Norwegian, he had learn it because of the Norwegian singer Marit Larsen. I was absolutely shocked lel
>>
>>52358564
that's because there's literally 359993406349 different kinds of Spanish and in high school in America we are taught the "Mexican" kind. We are even taught to omit vosotros because "nobody uses it anyways."

Can't even find a decent, reliable European Spanish resource online.
>>
>>52357226
if a foreigner can speak Irish then fuck me I'm impressed
>>
>>52358657
>Can't even find a decent, reliable European Spanish resource online.
You can't have looked far then

https://www.youtube.com/user/LightSpeedSpanish

https://www.youtube.com/user/ButterflySpanishola
>>
>>52358673
Not even the Irish can be bothered to speak Gaelic anymore.
>>
>>52358719
oops second isn't european, but her dialect is basically the same as castillian anyway
>>
File: jap post.png (194 KB, 1531x1029) Image search: [Google]
jap post.png
194 KB, 1531x1029
>>52357421
That's how you come across to us too.
>>
I feel indifferent. German isn't exactly a difficult language to learn.
>>
>>52358741
why did you call it Gaelic when I just used the proper term Irish, REEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>52358773
>Implying I want to learn anything except proper European Spanish.
Not Valencian.
Not Castillian.
European. Standardized. Spanish.

Thanks for the first tho
>>
>>52358643
seriǿst? hvor god var norsken hans? det virker nesten utrolig.
>>
>>52358825
Isn't Gaelic a language with two main dialects, Irish and Scottish?
>>
>>52358825
Because it's a reminder that even Gaelic isn't even yours, it came from Scotland in the 5AD. Lazy shits can't even invent their own language.
>>
>>52358809
Fuck you and your compound words.
>>
>>52358886
They are distinct languages.

>>52358894
It's the opposite. Have the Scots been trying to convince themselves that Scottish Gaelic didn't come from Ireland? lol
>>
>>52358809
>German isn't exactly a difficult language to learn.
Ist es doch. Sehr schwierig im Vergleich zu anderen indogermanischen Sprachen. Ich lerne es seit Januar und mache immer noch Fehler.
>>
>>52358797
you literally couldn't make that shit up
>>
>>52359051
It's like google translate on steroids.
>>
>>52357226
>How do you feel about foreigners who are good at your language?
If they are genuinely then I find it positive. I think it's great when foreigners make an effort to learn our language and it's even better if they manage to learn it properly and speak it properly.
>>
>>52359261
That has to be impossible for anyone outside of Scandinavia.
>>
>>52359398
Not at all, those languages are very close to English. It's just a matter of who could be bothered learning them, which as it turns out is not many people.
>>
>>52359398
Norwegian is one of the easiest languages you can learn.
>>
>>52359499
Shame I'm shit at languages in general then.
>>
>>52357226
I'm impressed by the number of non-anglo foreigners who can speak perfect english, all the whilst imitating an american accent perfectly.

I mean, a friend of mine has an acquaintance that I could have sworn was born in the US, until I noticed that he switched from an American accent to an occasional English pronunciation. Turns out he was Swedish.

I don't know what other language I should learn but I want to now.
>>
>>52358884
Han hadde ikke noe særlig vokabular, men uttalen er den beste jeg har hǿrt av en som ikke har det som morsmål. Han spurte fǿrst: "Snakker du norsk?" og da trodde jeg han var fra Norge. Det var ganske surrealistisk ja, god historie da.
>>
>be black
>see white person that speaks good zulu
>fucking everyone wants to be his friend
people like it a lot
>>
>>52358643
Lol Isn't norwegian hard for korean?
I've never seen who learn norwegian before Lol
>>
>>52358884
Is it shocking that asian learn your language?

>>52359499
Really? Even for an asian?
>>
Awkward
>>
>>52357226
i wish i was joking but the first thing people in my country would ask is why they would learn our irrelevant language and then we switch to english because dutch people like to show off how good they are in english
>>
You can't expect anyone to want to play personal language tutor for you.
>>
>>52358879
>European
>Spanish

You know what to do
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.