[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Chinese diaspora thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9
File: Chinese in Southeast Asia.jpg (300 KB, 1179x1100) Image search: [Google]
Chinese in Southeast Asia.jpg
300 KB, 1179x1100
The Chinese diaspora is massive. Malaysia is almost 25% Chinese, and Thailand is reportedly 14% Chinese. The nation of Brunei has a similar percentage. Singapore is currently majority Chinese, despite being on the Malay peninsula. Vietnam has at least a million Chinese citizens, even after 250,000 fled during the Chinese invasion in the late 1970s. I'd love to learn more about this international community, but online information is unfortunately scarce.

When learning about Chinese migration, I'm most drawn to two parallels:

>Greek colonies in the Classical Era
>Jewish immigration to Britain and various colonies during the 18th-20th centuries

Greek colonists arrived as both merchants and conquerors, establishing their own cities and often warring with locals, while Jews (with the exception of Israel) integrated into other societies and worked with existing institutions to succeed.

Which of these two parallels best models Chinese immigration to Southeast Asia? Were they colonists who sought to live in
independent settlements in Thailand and Sumatra, or were they immigrants who sought to live within established societies and make do with what they could?

Did any Imperial Chinese regime encourage merchants to go abroad to better-aid China?
Did Chinese immigrants to far-flung places like Indonesia arrive from mainland China, or were they largely born in other parts of Southeast Asia?

I'm aware that the Chinese Indonesians were slaughtered during the 1960s, but is there a long history of Anti-Sinicism in Southeast Asian, comparable to Anti-Semitism in the West?

Lastly, did the same factors that pushed wealthy Chinese to Southeast Asia also push them to North America to Africa, both historically and currently? Is there any continuity between early modern migration and modern-day migration?
>>
they brought and spread islam to java, basically ruining this country forever
>>
>>52275858
The Arabs brought Islam.

Convert back to Buddhism
>>
File: 0023ae606e660f3b559742.jpg (33 KB, 354x500) Image search: [Google]
0023ae606e660f3b559742.jpg
33 KB, 354x500
I'm Thai and the Chinese presence is huge here. Unlike modern Chinese, Thai Chinese are more respectable because they are the ones that left before the Manchus made them degenerate.
Thailand made them assimilate, and forced them to abandon thier Chinese names.
>>
>>52276143
t. Trang Nrang Brang Bong
I'd rather have my Chinese name than that
>>
>>52276009
>The Arabs brought Islam.
to irrelevant sumatra, it was ambitious chinese that converted most kings and conquered java.
they're also the one whou brought the foundation of radicalism. seriously, look up for 9 walis
>>
>>52276201
t.muhammad akim
>>
>>52276143
>Sraechphattarachakhan Loewaeronkhrangsuen is better than Er Nie Lang
>>
Reporting. How many of you fuckers can speak Mandarin?
>>
>>52276275
t. Ranjeet Kumar-Patel
>>
File: 1397777706456.jpg (31 KB, 433x419) Image search: [Google]
1397777706456.jpg
31 KB, 433x419
>>52275784
>Be American
>get asslicked
>>
>>52275858
>Chinese brought Islam

what
>>
>>52276298
only 9-15 percent of indonesian chinese aged 6-30 can speak mandarin
>>
>>52276336
t.alberto barbarossa
>>
>>52276384
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wali_Sanga
>>
Chinese people here are alright, even the 100% Chink ones do not care about China or any of that shit.
>>
>>52276477
t. Albertinho Barbosinha do Mar do Sul
>>
Probably a bit of both really. I get a lot of immigrants round these parts and they tend to wall themselves off into their own little cliques which is a bit weird
>>
>>52276540
t.albert boi boi
>>
>>52276733
Wow a Singlish pleb
wew
>>
>>52275784
My dad moved here in the late fifties from Indonesia. I know a decent bit about Chinese diaspora.

>Which of these two parallels best models Chinese immigration to Southeast Asia? Were they colonists who sought to live in independent settlements in Thailand and Sumatra, or were they immigrants who sought to live within established societies and make do with what they could?

Neither. The Chinese didn't really integrate, because the Dutch government specifically segregated the three different racial groups. The Chinese dominated internal commerce, using pretty Jewy tactics.

>Did any Imperial Chinese regime encourage merchants to go abroad to better-aid China?

They didn't, commerce is not appreciated by Confucianism, but China was overpopulated and people left of their own will.

>Did Chinese immigrants to far-flung places like Indonesia arrive from mainland China, or were they largely born in other parts of Southeast Asia?

Mostly China, though my great-grandfather was born in Penang.

>I'm aware that the Chinese Indonesians were slaughtered during the 1960s, but is there a long history of Anti-Sinicism in Southeast Asian, comparable to Anti-Semitism in the West?

Yes. The first Indonesian mass movement, Sarekat Islam, was specifically anti-Chinese.

>Lastly, did the same factors that pushed wealthy Chinese to Southeast Asia

Most Chinese that moved were poorfags, the rest were merchants who permanently settled for business.
>>
>>52276143
Chinese names >>> Thai names

Thai names are often beautiful but way too ungainly
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 480x319) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 480x319
>>52276872
>anti-sinicism related to anti-semitism
except anti-semitism is almost always 100% justified
>>
>>52276774
T.albertino the abyss
>>
>>52277321
>>>/pol/
>>
>>52277321
you guys better hope trump wins
>>
File: Asia for Asians.png (371 KB, 4972x2517) Image search: [Google]
Asia for Asians.png
371 KB, 4972x2517
>>
>>52277238
>rappatttangtang chaiwookravatta is better than giok tjun lan
>>
>>52277484
Absolutely disgusting t b h
At least give Tibet and the Mongols (incl. Tannu and Altay Uriankhais) a state. Maybe even the Manchus.
>>
>>52277423
dumb, ignorant comment desu don't fall for the memes

http://youtu.be/9Lv-r_XQK4M
>>
Are chinese seen as alphas in asian countries?
>>
>>52277624
>Chinese
>alpha
>>
>>52277624
...no. There's no racial distinction between alpha, beta, etc that I know of, mainly due to the fact that everyone's pretty homogenous.
People don't usually tend to look at race here, so that's not a thing either.
>>
>>52277713
im asking for a friend
>>
>>52277713
>Flips
Heh.
>>
>>52277722
>People don't usually tend to look at race here
despite the facts that native dads desperate to make their daughter marry an arab or a chink?
>>
>>52277568
i would want any one of the democrats desu
>>
>>52277818
thats indo not singapore
arnt you guys the shortest group in the world
>>
>>52277818
>native dads desperate to make their daughter marry an arab or a chink
Does that happen in Indonesia? I've never heard of that.
Then again, maybe it's because I'm not that familiar with the customs of the other races having gone to a Chinese middle/high school.
>>
>>52277824
would'nt*
>>
>>52277557

Ethnic composition of Inner Mongolia:
Han - 79%
Mongol - 17%

Also Manchu people are totally irrelevant ethnic minority, even in Manchuria. And Han Chinese will be majority in Tibet in near future.
>>
the chinese are the weakest race when it comes to warfare

the malays literally have to give them singapore to prevent us from genociding their whole lot for being a bunch of unapologetic assholes
>>
>>52277870
I'd wager the shortest ethnic group in the world are the Congolese pygmies.

>>52277914
What about Outer Mongolia?
>Manchu people are totally irrelevant ethnic minority
One can dream. I sort of like their language.
>>
>>52277896
arabs for mud dad, chinese for christian.
chinese are encouraged to marry another chinese though
>>
>>52277976
I don't see that happening here. People (parents) tend to be more liberal with respect to that sort of thing.
>>
>>52277928
That's just Malaysia allowing itself to get cucked

>be a proud, strong Malay
>instead of forcing Chinks to integrate you kick them out and give them their own hugbox
>decades later they become far richer than Malaysia
>>
>>52277950
in asean at least
Singapore seems to be the biggest in asean in aspects where it matters
>>
>>52278023
probably "desperate" is bit of an exaggeration, still their dads will be very excited over their daughter's prospect of marrying this people.
>muh secure finance
>muh good looking grandchildren
>>
My parents moved to America in the 80's, their parents are from China and fled to Taiwan in 1949.

I've never been enthusiastic about Chinese diaspora because Chinese culture is really varied. It's hard to feel kinship with a Cantonese person for example, when they look different and speak a different language. Any of you fags feel the same way?
>>
>>52277568
do people watch this guy seriously, or is it a parody?
>>
File: 45657667877979.png (39 KB, 1300x810) Image search: [Google]
45657667877979.png
39 KB, 1300x810
>>52277950

>> KMT claims sovereignty over Mongolia and Tuva as well as the territories of the modern People's Republic and Republic of China.

I wish Kuomintang rule China soon.
>>
Historically China has not given a fuck about the outside world. In a sense China inadvertently colonized Korea and Japan, in that they all share the same cultural and genetic heritage. During it's zenith the Chinese Imperial government viewed the outside world as too savage to be able to support higher civilization so China has never attempted to colonize territories oversea. Chinese people on the other hand have set up colonies across the world due for business opportunities.
>>
>>52278107
>in aspects where it matters
It used to. It's fallen back in economic growth, etc.
And how is height an aspect that matters?
>>
File: 1449690694155.jpg (48 KB, 590x518) Image search: [Google]
1449690694155.jpg
48 KB, 590x518
>>52276143
Why can't we assimilate our immigrants like this
>>
>>52278181
I think China's doing fine without them. An abrupt switch of ideology isn't going to turn out well.

>>52278263
Thais and Southern Chinese basically look the same, and their languages (rather, the etymologies of their words) are close.
You're importing Pakis.
>>
>>52276872
What was the relationship between the Chinese elite and the new European arrivals?

Did the Chinese and Dutch get along better than the Dutch and the Indonesians, or were they rivals?
>>
>>52278244
nevermind, i wasnt talking economically
at least we're stable
>>
>>52278052
We're that fucking dumb like the pinoys where you literally gave your whole country to the chinks
>>
>>52278404
If stability is something to be proud of, you know how shit your region is.
Place is a bloody cesspool.
>>
I'm most interested in Chinese that go to Japan. What kind of fucking failure chooses Japan over US/Canada/EU or even Singapore/SE Asia?
>>
>>52277321
No it's not. Even if individual Jews are greedy, they shouldn't be killed for it. That's some commie logic.

More importantly, the families and servants of greedy merchants CERTAINLY don't deserve to die for that greed. The vast majority of medieval Jews were not money-lenders, but working class craftsmen and servants who relied on the employment or financial aid of a handful of wealthy Jewish bankers.
>>
You can press a button and replace all the chinese in your country with poles (or philipinos). do you do it?
>>
>>52278484
well yeah historically it has been so
>>
>>52278582
Replace myself with a Pole? Sure.
With a Filipino? Never.
>>
>>52278582
it'd be a pole-ar shift
>>
>>52278593
Historical stability doesn't really matter.

>>52278677
Exactly why do you insist on making these lame puns on every other thread I expand? I've genuinely never seen you before, how new are you?
>>
>>52278444
Well, we haven't given Mindanao to the Muslims yet so we can't be dumber than Malays :^)
>>
File: 1322469064778.gif (78 KB, 182x250) Image search: [Google]
1322469064778.gif
78 KB, 182x250
>>52278338
>I think China's doing fine without them.

Filthy gommunist.
>>
>>52278180
his info is top-tier. sorry if it breaks your fantasy of trump
>>
>>52278722
fine I'll stop shitposting

desu i can see some parts of malaysia sperating, like jorhor
>>
>>52278382
>What was the relationship between the Chinese elite and the new European arrivals?

There bascially weren't any Chinese until the Dutch came.

>Did the Chinese and Dutch get along better than the Dutch and the Indonesians

Somewhat, though it's difficult to make generalisations over such a long period of time, especially when the VOC and Dutch government ruled very differently.
>>
>>52278801
I should have worded that properly.
What I meant is that China would be fucked if KMT seizes power all of a sudden, and is better off staying as it is now.
>>
Japan and India will save South-East Asia
>>
>>52278801
he's right about the switch part, but the communist party isnt doing a whole good for lifting china's reputation for cheap goods and shady products
>>
>>52278896
If war breaks out over the Spratlys or something Japan's going to be fucking useless, let alone India.
Southeast Asia's current political situation is really fragile right now tbqh

>>52278918
>the communist party isnt doing a whole good for lifting china's reputation for cheap goods and shady products
I don't think it might be possible with 1.3 billion people and the fourth largest country in the world. Once they manage to develop the economy, they should be able to do it.
Although I must agree they're not putting in enough effort into that.
>>
>>52278788
you are so dumb you gave the chinks the whole government

top 10 richest pinoy are chinese
the elites in the gov are chinese
ethnic pilaks compromise the 99% of the poor

shoulve asked USA for a reid commission
>>
>>52279038
>If war breaks out over the Spratlys or something Japan's going to be fucking useless, let alone India.
>non-claimants are useless and therefore not needed in a dispute where they aren't involved
>>
>>52278896
i'd rather have more 1 million more of chinese than 10000 desi
>>
>>52279038
>Once they manage to develop the country
not anytime soon desu
>>
>>52279087
They're eventually going to be pulled into the whole fiasco if that happens. Remember that literally every nation carrying out a substantial amount of global maritime trade has to care about SEA's political situation.
>>
>>52279087
war wont
the war would allow US to drop all denbts to china and whack them for all the profit they can get
>>
Philippines versus Malaysia

Who would win in a war?
>>
>>52279446
As with most maritime wars, depends on who's the aggressor.
>>
>>52279446
>the malaysians lepak and assemble by the naval docks 4 hours late
>the pinoys navy reaches the target point, only to realise someone has sold off the anti ship missiles for scrap money
>the pinoy navy in its panic, fires into the direction where the enemy should be
>the discount auto loader loads a shell warhead first and causes the ships to catastrophically detonate
>the malaysian navy arrives another 3 hours late because they had to make a stop for the nasi lemak n teh tarik
>seeing the sinking hulls of the pinoy navy, the malaysians conclude their decisive victory
>>
>>52279797
loads a shell by its warhead*
>>
>>52279446
>all those malaysian terrorist proxy
gee i wonder which one will win
>>52279797
toplel
>>
>>52279541
>>52279446
We can't wage war, its in our Constitution
>>
>>52277423
Trump is the most Jewish person to ever run for president. His daughter, son-in-law, and grandkids are all Orthodox Jews
>>
>>52279995
Neutral constitution?
Pretty sure the only countries in Asia that have that are Turkmenistan and Japan. Since when did the Philippines have one?
>>
>>52279995
Pussy.
>>
>>52280007
Sanders is literally a Jew.
>>
>>52280078
they are actually renowned for being a cheaper thailand
ask australia
>>
>>52280104
>implying Hillary won't win the DNC nomination
>>
>>52280198
I thought you were referring to announcing a campaign bid, not being selected as one of the actual candidates
>>
>>52280278
She'll be selected, don't underestimate Democrat cronyism
>>
>>52280421
>She'll be selected, don't underestimate Democrat cronyism
Yeah, I know.
>>
>>52278493
I don't know man, remember what happened in 1930-1945? A lot of Chinese ended up in Japan for a certain reason.

Also in the 80's Japan was short on workers, China was absolute shit, and America had restrictions on commies.
>>
>>52279446
Malaysia, unless we supported the Flips
>>
>>52280104
Haha you're right. Not sure how uncle Bernie slipped my mind.

It would be fun for him to win just for the novelty of a Jewish president.
>>
>>52276452
Can you be Chinese if you don't speak the language? You're certainly not ethnically Chinese.
>>
It makes me sad that my family almost all went back to china after 16 years of immigration. Now only my mom is left and she'll go back at retirement. I dont even know if i should i even stay in canada after finishing medical residency..
>>
>>52282628
What else are you going to do with a medical residency?

Where would you go? Would your education even be recognised in China?

And why would you go? Canada is one of the greatest countries on the planet.
>>
>>52280059
>ARTICLE II: DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES AND STATE POLICIES
>Section 2. The Philippines renounces war as an instrument of national policy, adopts the generally accepted principles of international law as part of the law of the land and adheres to the policy of peace, equality, justice, freedom, cooperation, and amity with all nations.
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.