[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/lang/ general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51
File: 0v.png (91 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
91 KB, 400x400
Previous discussion: >>52171899

Feel free to learn, discuss, teach, and funpost in your favorite languages.

Also, please Vocaroo some of your languages.
sina o toki!
>>
>>52243508
Woah that's a rare vocaroo
>>
>>52243612
Dankon.
>>
File: 0a.png (528 KB, 1052x866) Image search: [Google]
0a.png
528 KB, 1052x866
Can someone make one of these for Toki Pona?
>>
File: 0v.png (61 KB, 1200x350) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
61 KB, 1200x350
Hello foreighnfag!

Let's take a trip to the magcal world of Toki Pona!

toki pona is a minimalist conlang with a vocabulary of around 120 words and roughly a dozen of grammar rules. It takes about an hour to start swearing and about a week to start swearing well in toki pona.

ITT, let's see if it is useable as a pidgin (one of the reasons it was invented for), excercise in semantical deconstruction (that's another reason) and translate boardspeak in toki pona!

Lessons: http://tokipona.net/tp/janpije/okamasona.php or https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Updated_jan_Pije%27s_lessons
Word list: http://tokipona.net/tp/ClassicWordList.aspx

http://sitelen-pona.herokuapp.com/

By popular request, all the rest of conlangs can be discussed here (although our conlang mastermind is asleep at the moment).
>>
File: catfrench.png (865 KB, 598x800) Image search: [Google]
catfrench.png
865 KB, 598x800
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiyBYZEykfc
>>
vulcanlanguage.tumblr.com/
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckFpOj30OMw&feature=youtu.be
>>
File: flago.png (24 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
flago.png
24 KB, 2000x1333
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkbK5oV9wnc
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvoAXa634u8
>>
http://lyricstranslate.com/en/juliano-hern%C3%A1ndez-angulo-tiel-la-mondo-iras-lyrics.html#ixzz3uXnU82Gr

Tiel la mondo iras, tiel la mondo iras.
Tiel la mondo iras, tiel la mondo.
Tiel la mondo iras, tiel la mond'.

Lundo, merkredo, sabato, mardo, ĵaŭdo kaj dimanĉo
jen milito, jen la paco, jen infano kun malsato.
La misiloj preskaŭ falas, la kolomboj malkonsentas,
estas tiel, estas tiel.

Jen virino kiu ne sidas, ĉar laboro ĉiam estas,
kaj la patro kiu ne alvenas, ĉar la poŝo estas malplena.
Tiom da manoj kiuj konstruas, kaj la aliaj kiuj detruas,
estas tiel, estas tiel.

Dekses horoj kiuj sonoras kaj ok horoj kiuj silentas
Multaj homoj kiuj rapidas, jam la alia tago venas.
Ni profitu la momenton, ĉar la vivo ne atendas,
estas tiel, estas tiel

Lundo, merkredo, sabato, mardo, jaŭdo kaj dimanĉo
jen milito, jen la paco, jen infano kun malsato.
La misiloj preskaŭ falas, la kolomboj malkonsentas,
estas tiel, estas tiel.

Iras por mi, iras por vi,
iras por ŝi, iras por li, tiel la mondo
Iras por mi, iras por vi,
iras por ŝi, iras por li, tiel la mondo

Tiel la mondo iras, tiel la mond-ooo iiirrrr-aaass
>>
What do you guys think about interlingua?
>>
After you're finished with memes will you learn something real?
>>
>>52252201
It's basically Italian with English grammar.
>>
>>52252430
All languages are real languages.
>>
>>52252678
That's not true. And you are a fraud.
>>
>>52252861
But that is wrong.
>>
>>52252927
You are using a system of communication. Not a language.
>>
>>52252948
See >>52252678
>>
Is this the thread where those you can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages?
>>
>>52253127
I think maybe yes
>>
>>52253285
If this is really the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, I'd like to join.
>>
>>52253344
You've already done so!!!
>>
>>52253358
Am I considered a member of the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages?
>>
>>52253127
Bien sûr
Cependant l'Esperanto est une langue vraie
>>
>>52253381
Fuck I don't know anymore
>>
>>52253344
Welcome to /lang/ senpai
kama pona!!
>>
>>52253391
Can I tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages?
>>
>>52253443
No, it's our secrit club
>>
>>52253471
Should I learn toki pona before I tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too?
>>
>>52253498
This is a good meme, France.
>>
>>52253529
>>52253498
I think it may be the next t. Alberto Barbosa
>>
>>52253573
If it's your secrit club, then, I won't be part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, even if it's only toki pona.
>>
>>52252967
Listen to me you little shit. You speak in memes, nothing else.
>>
>>52253599
I'm sorry, I don't understand.
Can you translate it into lojban for me?
>>
>>52253654
I don't know lojban, but I really wanted to be part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, even if it's only toki pona.
>>
>>52253701
You can be part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, even if it's only toki pona, because it's not a secret club, France
>>
>>52253701
If you really wanted to be part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, even if it's only toki pona, then you would learn lojban so that you can be part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, even if it's only toki pona and be part of our secret club.
>>
>>52253779
Can I really be part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, simpler and more primitive means of communication, and that is not a secret club, while repeating over and over between themselves and especially to outsiders "It's a real language" to tell and convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, if it's not toki pona, but lojban that I learn?
>>
>>52253127
>>52253344
>>52253381
>>52253443
>>52253498
>>52253599
>>52253701
>>52253745
>>52253779
>>52253818

What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Language Creation, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on prescriptivist assholes, and I have over 300 confirmed conlangs. I am trained in grammatic warfare and I’m the top morphosyntax expert on the internet. You are nothing to me but just another case ending. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this conworld, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of conlangers across the internet and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your conlang. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can decline you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare fricatives. Not only am I extensively trained in unvoiced combat, but I have access to the entire phonetic inventory of !Xóõ and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the con-continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit phonemes all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo.
>>
>>52253779
Nice me-me.
>>
>>52253858
I'm sorry, I don't understand.
Can you translate it into toki pona for me?
>>
>>52253895
I don't yet know Toki Pona, but it would be hilarious to read the translation.

Mi lernas Esperanton. Mi komencanto.

.i mi tadni la .lojban.
>>
>>52253858
If I became part of those who tell people I'm from the thread where those who can't learn a foreign language gather and learn a made-up, easy and more simple means of communication, and that isn't a secret club, while repeating over and over between them and to outsiders "Its a real language" to convince themselves and others they can into languages, and that I can into languages too, will I be able to say "What the fuck did you just fucking say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in Language Creation, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret raids on prescriptivist assholes, and I have over 300 confirmed conlangs. I am trained in grammatic warfare and I’m the top morphosyntax expert on the internet. You are nothing to me but just another case ending. I will wipe you the fuck out with precision the likes of which has never been seen before in this conworld, mark my fucking words. You think you can get away with saying that shit to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting my secret network of conlangers across the internet and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your conlang. You’re fucking dead, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can decline you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare fricatives. Not only am I extensively trained in unvoiced combat, but I have access to the entire phonetic inventory of !Xóõ and I will use it to its full extent to wipe your miserable ass off the face of the con-continent, you little shit. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your fucking tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will shit phonemes all over you and you will drown in it. You’re fucking dead, kiddo." in toki pona?
>>
File: pretty_bird.jpg (129 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
pretty_bird.jpg
129 KB, 1366x768
>>52245196
tenpo pini la moku akesi li awen laso tan mu sama musi li lili e soweli la laso lili pi suno sinpin nimi li ilo pi toki sewi ilo. nena pi awen kiwen nena li awen lipu e namako pi tu walo walo li suwi la laso li lon kute. mije sin pi walo awen meli li ken walo e unpa e lape pi ko alasa kute poka unpa esun tan oko. akesi kepeken li kama seme li pini kasi e pimeja e sama kepeken pi pali musi esun la lape monsi pi loje sewi awen li kama selo e kala poka linja toki pi kili mama pini sama kepeken sin.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2B1nIkJ66e4
>>
Safety bump
>>
>>52253127

je t'emmerde.
>>
>>52253895

Sure, mate.

It'd be: mi unpa e mama sina la sina moku e ko jaki.
>>
1. toki pona: http://vocaroo.com/i/s0jnLLlkgAmv

2. Esperanto: http://vocaroo.com/i/s19GwECg8Lk2
>>
>>52251682
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0yN9YTwTzTu

and I'm gonna sing some of that because I love that song, although I am trying to be quiet
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0bSXdcQScTT

I'm bored, the semester is over, a lot of people already went home, pretty bored pls respond
>>
>>52259808
Texas?
>>
>>52260246

No, never been to texas desu
>>
>>52258443

A grill in a conlang thread?
>>
File: some man.jpg (33 KB, 460x338) Image search: [Google]
some man.jpg
33 KB, 460x338
>>52260914
I have been in most of them, jan Losi :^D
>>
>>52261284

jan sewi mi o, tan seme?
>>
>>52261320
Mi lon ni, tan seme?

o kute e toki mi: >>52258397

>"mi kama sona e toki pona"

Mi lon ni tan ni: ni li linja pi toki pona.

Kaj, ankaŭ mi parolas Esperanton kaj ŝatas babili esperante ĉi tie, kvankam la alia esperantisto ĉi tie estas aŭtismulo.
>>
File: ldkRyBGy-ZshIppidIOkAw_r.jpg (74 KB, 700x468) Image search: [Google]
ldkRyBGy-ZshIppidIOkAw_r.jpg
74 KB, 700x468
mi tawa, amikoj

bonan nokton /lang/
>>
>>52261614

mi mute li unpa e mama mute lon. ken la mi mute wile kama ike lili.
>>
File: 1449763976639.gif (1 MB, 736x627) Image search: [Google]
1449763976639.gif
1 MB, 736x627
So, like...
Is Toki Pona /lang/'s new meme language?
Haven't been here in 2 weeks, tell me what's up.
>>
>>52263298

Russian invasion. Tokipona is obligatory, yes.

Link to the coursebook is in the beginning of the thread. :3
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s1RZQneonEtf
>>
File: 1429095047292.jpg (64 KB, 730x615) Image search: [Google]
1429095047292.jpg
64 KB, 730x615
>>52264210
And I just got used to La merdpostoj d'Esperantistoj, to...
Oh, well.
Mi kama pona la toki!
>>
Requesting some Polish text to read for fun.
>>
>>52264979
Ojej, kód posie? Przyściędzej owieńszy o nostry dom biała, jewnia fila, prokód gwardar nieporłarz. Ła fieczy kód pociewa prokód ojekar natu: jekawa sie ku łu, kętawa li kęciekła i.s.ł. Uta małgra ili nieporłarz osłucie łą, deskarnie łą, dzieworze łą, maż resztle ił dziejece za wniestrze. Kód faczer, kód faczer? Wiortablemięć nie szczyje. I dąk o wiecze partaczem afera, prokódsi polica nie komięcar propunier nodzęcie kwieszczenie.
>>
>>52264645

sina jan pona! mama sina li meli pona kin.
>>
>>52264979

I think I had the Witcher series lying around at hdd. Want some?
>>
>>52261284
Super rude question but bear with me:

Do you have the autism?

Most women aren't interested in these sorts of things, so it tends to attract only men and socially-awkward women.
>>
sewi!
>>
>>52263298
>>52264645
>>52264210
Does anyone want to learn aUI, the language of space? It is another minimalist language.
>>
>>52266548

Socially awkward men too. Where's that 'Drive' fan guy?
>>
>>52266846
I am pretty awkward... :P

How would one say "awkward" in Toki Pona?
>>
>>52266898

mi piln e ni: toki tawa jan ante li ike tawa mi.
>>
>>52267055
Dankon. :)
>>
>>52258397
> toki pona:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s110xcvApPnZ

I know, I sound autistic, but I've tried x)
>>
>>52266796
I think it's sort of ithkuil, but it's grammar is not that complete. Don't know...
>>
File: 0v.png (127 KB, 472x451) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
127 KB, 472x451
>>52267182
>>
Should I learn toki pona? Can I learn it in one day?
>>
>>52267520
Yes. Yes.

See >>52245196
>>
>>52267182
dat vowel reduction
>>
>>52267676
How many time did you take to learn it?
>>
>>52267394
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0c54GB8tYzk
>>
>>52267764
Well, I've tried to speak as not a native jan pi toki pona (lol), but a simple slavic guy, that's the point. OTOH it's my first toki pona speech :c
>>
I must leave. Please, continue the Vocaroo practice.
>>
>>52268186
tawa pona!
>>
>>52267778
You can learn all the grammar in one day, and it takes about a week to talk(i.e. write) in it very good, if not perfect.
>>
>>52268313
Nice, thank you
>>
>>52267764

dat vowel reduction is one of core characteristics of modern Russian prononciation.
>>
>>52268427
B-but it's not OK for Toki Pona and other languages.
Try to record yourself in toki pona :з
>>
>>52243508
What's the second most useful language in the world?
>>
>>52269178
lojban
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0xptIAulKXM

sina o toki e ni:
nimi pi kalama musi seme li ni?
>>
sewi
>>
>>52269178

Danish, but no one can into Danish phonetics.
>>
>>52269178
[spoiler]Esperanto[/spoiler]
>>
>>52267182
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s110xcvApPnZ
I've wondered, what would Toki Pona sound like with Russian accent, since I first saw these threads. Now, I've heard it...
>>
pona! sina mute wile ala wile e sitelen pi toki pali Katuwale mi? sina mute wile la mi ken sitelen e ale

mi wile e ni: toki pona ike mi li ike ala e sina mute.
>>
>>52272910
sina o pana e lipu lawa pi toki sina!
mi wile sona e ni: sina wile ala wile toki kalama e toki pona? ni li pona tawa mi li pona tawa linja ni.
>>
>>52273050
mi sitelen e lipu lawa* pi toki mi kepeken toki Somi. sina ken ala lukin e ni. sina wile la tenpo ante la mi ken sitelen e ni kepeken toki Inli.

mi wile ala toki kalama e toki pona. jan ante li lon tomo mi.

*I assume you mean "grammar" here.

Btw, I appreciate if you our someone else can point out mistakes in my Toki Pona
>>
>>52273388
>*I assume you mean "grammar"
here.

Yup.

>mi sitelen e lipu lawa* pi toki mi kepeken toki Somi. sina ken ala lukin e ni. sina wile la tenpo ante la mi ken sitelen e ni kepeken toki Inli.
>mi wile ala toki kalama e toki pona. jan ante li lon tomo mi.

sina toki e toki pona la sina toki pona!
mi wile. ken la mi mute li pona e toki sina.
sina ken ala la ni li ike tawa mi..

And yes, you should use "li" every time since a subject isn't "mi" and "sina".
>sina pona
>sina mute li pona
>sina pona li pona
>>
>>52272551
http://vocaroo.com/i/s00upxDxkpzi
>>
>>52273566
Okay.

I have some Toki Pona, but I quitted so I don't know all the root words and struggle with understanding and making the adverbs, so there will be mistakes.

mi ken sitelen e wan lili pi lipu lawa pi toki Katuwale tenpo ni. sina wile e sitelen seme?
>>
>>52273707
pona! taso, mi unpa mije sama ni:
>>52273806
>>52273388
>>52272910

mi wile ala wile kepeken e nimi lon ni? jan li wile e sitelen toki Katuwale tan mi li ken sona e mi tenpo pana mi
>>
>>52273806
mi wile e sitelen pi nimi toki.
Just give some phrases, sentences or dialogue in it. I'd like to look how it might sound, kek. And with little explanation.
>>
>>52273806
And yeah, write about a thing that is so special in your language :3 Dunno, case system or whatever.
I saw your first posts, but they're not enough for me.
>>
>>52243508
Any of you guys want to play risk? I'm hosting now.
>>52273922
>>
This is pronounced like Toki Pona plus with rolled r.

Reweltuner! - Hello!
Pure wintutu. - Nice to meet you!
Tawil warte je? - How are you doing?
Wintutuner! - Goodbye!
Kur morlotu. - Bye (while leaving)
Morlotuner pure! - Bye (as an answer to previous)
Laware!/Laware tolsen! - Thank you!
Kon tuso! - You're welcome!
Tolte ortu war je? - What's your name?
Kurte ortu ____ jo./ Kur _____ ortutu - My name is ____
Tol warsen tenkutu? - Where do you live?
Kur ____-sen tenkutu. - I live in ____
Tol warpor morlotu? - Where do you come from?
Kur ____-por armutu. - I come from ___
Kur Somikaropor/Ruskikaropor/Enkaropor/Estikaropor/Werjakaropor armutu - I come from Finland/Russia/Britain/Estonia/Sweden
Tol warroso weral usenmorlotu? - How old are you?
Kur ___-roso weral usenmorlotu - I'm ___
Kurko jorte nuketu - I'm hungry/I want food
Kurko soli nuketu - I'm thirsty/I need water
Lutote jortetenku warsen je? - Where is the closest restaurant?
Lutote _______ warsen je? - Where is the closest ____
Ajowel morlotuner - Go to the left
Ojawel tosen morlotuner - Turn there to the right
Morlotuner irko. - Go straight.
Ta ajosen je/Ta ajotu. - It's on the left
Solitonte menusen morlotuner - Go over the bridge
Tolko war murtu? - What do you want?
Kurko _____ murtu - I want ____
Kurko tolwel war nuketu armu? - What does this cost?/What I have to give to you?
>>
>>52273806
>tenpo ni la mi ken sitelen e wan lili pi lipu lawa pi toki Katuwale. sina wile e sitelen seme?
>>52273923
>pona! taso mi unpa e mije (maybe, you'd say 'meli') sama ni:

>mi wile ala wile kepeken e nimi lon ni? jan li wile e sitelen pi toki Katuwale tan mi [li ken sona e mi tenpo pana mi]*

I'd like to devide your phrase in two parts.
*[ona li ken sona e mi tan...]
tenpo pana mi - didn't get it.
>>
Since I drew inspiration from Toki Pona, Kartuwalean case system is very much like Toki Pona prepositions, maybe more than I'd like to admit. I'ts OK, I never was going to profit with this language and I've intended it only as a personal language. Kartuwalean has many unique features too and imho resembles more a real language than Toki Pona. Of course, Toki Pona is much more minimal than Kartuwale

Absolutive (abs) -0
Ergative (erg) -ko
Genetive (gen) -te (like Toki Pona mi)
Allative (all) -wel (like Toki Pona tawa)
Locative (lok) -sen (like Toki Pona lon)
Ablative (abl) -por (like Toki Pona tan)
Instrumental (ins) -kere (like Toki Pona kepeken)
Comitative (kom) -kul (like Toki Pona poka)
Temporal (tem) -roso (like Toki Pona tenpo)
Equative (ekv) -watu (like Toki Pona sama)
Vocative (vok) -ner (like Toki Pona o)
>>
>>52274750
>tenpo pana mi - didn't get it.
"During my posting" or "While I am posting"
>>
>>52274682
Laware tolsen!
Here's a thing about "nuketu/murte" I don't now.
>Kurko jorte nuketu
I food need
>Kurko tolwel war nuketu armu?
I what give need toyou?

>Kurko soli nuketu
I water want (sic!)
>Kurko _____ murtu
I _____ want

Why dont we say as "Kurko soli murtu"? Or the speaker didn't want but NEEDed water?
>>
>>52275035
pona! tempo wan la mi sona e ni. taso nimi ni li kalama nasa tawa mi :D
>>52274983
Wow, it's an ergative conlang! It changes everything. Also, there is one guy in Russia who made smth like ergative aUI and named it Arahau. 10 years passed and the grammar book is comming, also a scientific-or-somewhat publication from his estonian friend, as I know.
>>
>>52275341
Oh, there are some mistakes, which occured because I've added features to the language over the time. I just copied these sentences from a file and translated their Finnish translation to English.

Kartuwale used to have same word for "need" and "want" like Toki Pona, "mur(tu)". However, I added later a separate verb for "need", "nuke(tu)", and thus:

>Kurko jorte nuketu
I food need

>Kurko tolwel war nuketu armu?
I to you what need give?

>Kurko soli nuketu
I water need

>Kurko _____ murtu
I ____ want.

If you want to say, that you want food or water, you say:
>Kurko jorte murtu
>Kurko soli murtu

Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>52275643
Wow, that seems interesting. It's a shame that there is no proper material available about aUI on the internet, and making it have an ergative-alignment seems to be a sign that it is going to have a very interesting grammar.
>>
And say something on verbs so I can somehow analyse your language. btw

>>52275813
since -te is for Genitive, i thought that
>Kurko jorte nuketu
jor-te := jor - food (abs?) -> jorte - food (gen)
but here comes "soli" with no "-te".
so it's like "jorte" modifies verb or a part of it?

>>52275932
http://www.frathwiki.com/Arahau
>>
>>52276316
>And say something on verbs so I can somehow analyse your language. btw
Kartuwalean verbs are made by attaching the suffix "-tu" to the noun
>tawil - life
>tawiltu - to live, live, lives

Kartuwalean has no adjectives, so when we want to say that "house is red", we say "house reds", or "Tenku werlotu", where "werlo" means "red".

Auxiliary verbs can be attached to verbs. In this case, only the auxiliary verbs in marked with the suffix and the main verb follows the auxiliary verb unmarked.

>Kurko tenku murtu kalnu.
>I want to paint the house.

>so it's like "jorte" modifies verb or a part of it?
"jorte" is in absolutive actually, genetive form would be "jortete". Actually, I should change it. Thank you for noticing this!
>>
File: bona lingvo por la tuta mondo.jpg (595 KB, 936x1599) Image search: [Google]
bona lingvo por la tuta mondo.jpg
595 KB, 936x1599
>>52266548
Hahahaha yeah I probably do to some degree. I'm pretty sure that anyone you find in a conlang community is going to be somewhere on that scale. Probably less so with Esperanto folks because the language has grown enough to attract normies, but the "autistic" type person is pretty easy to find in the Esperanto community.

I lucked out to have a not-bad physical appearance, be female, and have good language skills so IRL I'm not totally "socially awkward". But in my free time I am spending almost all waking hours on 4chan, drawing conlang countryballs, learning toki pona, posting in Esperanto, to the point that I forget to eat and sleep, so, draw your own conclusion.

>>52267182
mi pilin e ni: toki sina e pona

>>52267520
Yes and almost. Personally I have mostly been picking it up by reading this threads with http://tatoeba.org/eng/ open in another window. Just set Tatoeba to translate toki pona words and start translating ones you don't know, study a couple of the grammar lessons, and you will be shitposting with us within a day or two.
>>
File: elrTg044mc4.jpg (11 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
elrTg044mc4.jpg
11 KB, 200x200
>>52277267
>drawing conlang countryballs
aw, show us more :3

>mi pilin e ni: toki sina li pona
spah'seebah :ь

>>52276740
pona! taso tenpo ni la mi wile e ni: mi tawa.
>>
>>52277712
pona! o tawa pona!
>>
File: something on your face.jpg (165 KB, 477x873) Image search: [Google]
something on your face.jpg
165 KB, 477x873
>>52277712
you probably saw it but I did this one too
>>
>>52278075
AH! IT WAS YOU!
Pure little tokiponas. tan seeemeee...
>>
File: 35plo3qhH_A.jpg (114 KB, 1401x1080) Image search: [Google]
35plo3qhH_A.jpg
114 KB, 1401x1080
tenpo ni la mi tawa poka soweli tomo ni. tenlo kama lili la jan seme li wile toki kepeken ilo Wokalu? (m-m-mi)
>>
>>52278685
tan ijo la ilo kalama mi li pali ala :/
>>
mi lukin e lipu ni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergative%E2%80%93absolutive_language

mi pilin mute pona

Ĉi tio estas treege interesa al mi. dankon, linja pi toki.

Ĉu iu ĉi tie nuntempe studas Esperanton? Mi kredis ke unu aŭ du el vi ekstudis ĝin.
>>
mi lon!

>>52279406
Mi ekstudis la lingvon, jes. tenpo pini mute la mi sona lili e toki Epelanto la mi pali e traduko pi toki musi Losi pi kulupu Kino.

>>52279269
ike :<
>>
Since we have admitted this is a place for autism I am going to try and represent the ergative case via Esperanto.

In Esperanto we show transitivity in the verb, using the affixes -ig- and -iĝ-. Unfortunately a design flaw in Esperanto makes the transitivity of verbs unpredictable, because you don't always add -ig- or -iĝ- because some verbs are naturally transitive and some are naturally intransitive, and there's no way of knowing which aside from memorization or redundant useage of -ig- and -iĝ-.

Ex:

La akvo bolas. = The water boils(VT) = The water is boiling (an object).
La akvo boliĝas. = The water boils (VI) = The water becomes boiled.

Mi mortas = I die(VI).
Mi mortigas = I kill(VT).

So "boli", to boil, is inherently transitive, and "morti", to die, is inherently intransitive, so respectively we have to add -iĝ- to boli to create intransitivity and -ig- to morti to create transitivity and there is no good reason for this.

From what I am reading about the ergative case, it marks transitvity in the subject noun of a transitive verb. So we would have something like

Akvo-iĝ bolas = Water is boiled
Akvo-ig bolas = Water boils (something else)

Mi-iĝ mortas = I die
Mi-ig mortas = I kill

Akvo-ig bolas ovon. = Water boils an egg. This combines ergative case with accusative case.
Akvo-ig bolas ovo-iĝ. = Water boils an egg. Or, "Water does the boiling of an egg that gets boiled". Haha.
Akvo-ig bolas ovo. = Water boils an egg. This seems to be what most of the natlangs are doing, where the transitive verb subject is marked and the object of the verb is unmarked.

Thanks for your time /lang/
>>
>>52280871
Is there some rules about inserting the affixes "-ig" or "-iĝ-"?

I like your idea, but I don't like the case suffix (I don't like the looks of Esperanto in general though, so this opinion might not have any value
>>
>>52281125
>Is there some rules about inserting the affixes "-ig" or "-iĝ-"?

Generally, only one of those should be allowed to be added to a particular verb, because all verbs have an inherent trasnitivity or intransitivity as I mentioned. So, "akvo bolas" (transitive) and "akvo boliĝas" (intransitive) are fine, but "akvo boligas" (intended to be transitive) would be considered incorrect because boli is already transitive, so you don't need to add the transitivity affix to it, and so "akvo boligas" actually means something like "water causes things to boil other things", "water has a tendency to make things boil other things".

In practice, however, I see people do it all of the time. Most people aren't intimately familiar with what the natural state of all verbs are, so if someone said, "La akvo boligas la ovon", ("the water boils the egg") nobody would correct them because it's 100% understandable, it's just gramatically incorrect, and in fact if you analyze what it means, it could mean "the water causes the egg to boil (something else)" but in day to day conversation, you would know that isn't what someone was intending to say. Verbs where that could actually be the intention naturally become understood that way.

You can also put both -ig- and -iĝ- into the same word. "Tagiĝo" is a noun that means "dawn" and literally means "day-becoming". If you wanted, you could say "Dio tagiĝigis la nokton" = "God made the night become day" or "god made night into a becoming of day" or "God day-becoming-ed the night".

You can also use iĝi and igi as nouns, verbs, or adjectives, and on their own if you want.

Ridi = to laugh/smile
Ridiga = something funny, something that makes people laugh/smile
Ridigo = the occurance of something that made someone smile

La ridigo de la reĝo estis bona. = "The act of making the king smile was good."
>>
>>52282024
I should have said you can add only one or other onto the actual root, because after you modify it, your new noun bcomes a root of its own and you can clearly add more onto it if you want, as I put in the example. As far as I understand Finnish is also agglutinative so maybe this makes sense to you.
>>
>>52280871

>Akvo-ig bolas ovo. = Water boils an egg. This seems to be what most of the natlangs are doing, where the transitive verb subject is marked and the object of the verb is unmarked.
>most of the natlangs

How is it in English? How subject is marked? To me it seems like subject is in Nominative case and object usually """marked""" by a preposition. Or in Esperanto: Mi legas libron.
Object is marked by accusative case.
What am I doing wrong?
>>
File: tre bon.jpg (38 KB, 559x558) Image search: [Google]
tre bon.jpg
38 KB, 559x558
>>52282108
>your new noun

*word, not noun...derp

also, not liking the look of Esperanto is pretty normal. After you speak it a long time though it looks like any other language and imo can be quite beautiful.
>>
>>52282131
And sorry for lack of articles desu~
>>
>>52282024
Oh, I thought that "-ig-" and "-iĝ-" both turn the verb in a transitive verb and you just decided that one affix represents ergative and another absolutive. So, I asked if it has some rules, when comes ig and iĝ, but it turned out that they have different meanings.

>>52282200
I think Esperanto is like Spanish with much more simplified grammar, some Slavic sounds and diacritics. Never actually liked it, but I guess I would get used to it.
>>
>>52282131
In English we don't mark our nouns very much and rely on word order and alot of prepositions.

The only time in English I can think of where we decline our nouns is in pronouns. Eg. "He" will decline to "him" when it is accusative.

He killed him, rather than something like "He killed at he"/"He killed on he"/"He killed of he" etc.

But word order is our main method of making what role a world is playing. It's almost always Subject-Verb-Object.

"DogA killed DogB." DogA is the subject.

"DogB killed DogA." Now DogB is the subject.

Still, we will never say "Him killed I." It still has to be "I killed him" in the S-V-O word order to be a proper English sentence even though both of the pronouns are conjugated to show their case.
>>
>>52282506
>But word order is our main method of making what role a world is playing.

Ah, forgot about it, but with this fact it makes all clear.
Hmm... also, in langs with free-word order Nominative is a marker of subject. Suddenly, yes.
>>
File: gradualy althysme.png (26 KB, 511x439) Image search: [Google]
gradualy althysme.png
26 KB, 511x439
o sewi, linja toki o!

tenpo suno ni la, mi wile li ken ala toki kepeken uta. tan la, ni li ala: mi taso li lon tomo.

>>52282331
toki Inli pi nimi lili ala li ike ala kin. jan ala li ken ala sona tan ni.

#endif /* TOKI_E_NI_TAN_NI:_SONA_ALA_E_TOKI_EPELANTO */
>>
>>52282470
LOL sorry I didn't realize, you were simply asking what ig and iĝ are. ig makes it transitive, iĝ makes it intransitive. Hahaha. Sorry for the infodump.
>>
>>52282916
Wait, do subject-less sentences ever happen in tp, other than imperatives?
>>
>>52282929
Nah, it's fine. Really informative and interesting actually.
>>
>>52282916
toki!
>sitelen sina
ni li nimi lawa pi jan pi kama sona anu seme? sina jan pi ilo sona, tenpo suli la mi pilin e ni. tan ni la sina pana e sitelen ni tan seme?

>>52282957
o sona: ni li lon ala. ike. wile e ni.
taso toki sama "wile e ni" li ike tawa jan kute tan .. ni: mi sona ala. jan tu li wile toki pi nasin ni la ona li toki.
>>
>>52283389
>ni li nimi lawa pi jan pi kama sona anu seme?
lon lili. jan pi pona sijelo li kepeken. ona li toki tawa jan lili pi wile kulupu ala li toki e ni: lawa pi jan lili li pakala ala pakala.

toki sama "wile e ni" la, mi pilin e ni: mi kepeken ona tan ni: toki Inli pi ilo sona li sama. en la^H^H^H^H^Hsama la, jan kute li sona ala e ni: toki li sama ala sama toki pi nimi "o".
>>
File: Main_Circumstance.jpg (271 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
Main_Circumstance.jpg
271 KB, 1200x600
يا \اللغة\، اين الصديق الذي تحول بدء حوارا بالعربية في الحائط الماضي امس؟ ارجع؛ لا تهملها العربية!!!! هههههه
>>
>>52284586
>li toki e ni
li pali e ni: mama pi jan lili li kama sona e ni **
>>
File: 1444853122975.jpg (90 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1444853122975.jpg
90 KB, 720x960
>>52284595

By the way /lang/, if anyone on this thread seriously wants to learn to read and write in MSA (Modern Standard Arabic), ask me some questions on this thread or request info from me! I'll help you free of charge on whatever you need to learn, I need the practice too. I translate shit on /k/ all the time.
>>
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0tcw476M9dA

Cheeky bit of history desu
>>
>>52284586
>jan kute li sona ala e ni: toki li sama ala sama toki pi nimi "o".

mi pilin sama.

>Does the student make an eye contact

tan nimi ni la mi pilin e jan pi nasa taso :c //nasa taso as autism, ew
ni la mi pilin e jan lili pi nasa ni. jan lili li lilin ike la mi ike.

taso ken la pilin insa pi jan lili ni li pakala li jan ala. jan lili mute pi nasa taso li kama jan ike pi pilin pakala.
taso ni li ike kin.
>>
French. Beautiful language, nice country, 'prestigious' language. 150 million speakers. Tons of resources.

Spanish. 500 million speakers, Nice language. Lots of resources.

Italian. Err... Hmm...

tfw italian grandparents.
>>
>>52285258
mi pilin e ni: nasin ni la, jan lili li sona e ni: jan pi pona sijelo li sona e ni: ona li kama jo ala e poki la, ona li wile kama jo e poki ante. tan ni la, ona li toki ala li awen.

(tenpo ala la mi lon ni. tan ni la, mi sona ala li pilin taso li wile sona e pilin pi jan lili)
>>
>>52285141
Sounds epic, sir. But what's the point?

>>52286114
>Italian. Err... Hmm...
>tfw italian grandparents.
PASTA
>>
>>52286191
ale li ike tawa ona la jan lili li sama soweli lawa musi li pilin sama li pali sama :D mi toki ala e ni: ni li ike. ni li lon.
a. jan lili li kalama wawa lon sewi. tenpo ni la ona li kalama ala. mi ken kute e ala pona :3
>>
>>52286114
>tfw italian grandparents.

So your feel about your italian heritage is basically "mama mia"
>>
>>52286191
>tenpo ala la mi lon ni
sina toki e ni la mi sona ala e ni.
sina o toki pona sin!
>>
tenpo ni la mi lukin e lipu ni: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_equivalents_of_adjectives
>>
>>52286758
lu «ca no da mi ru lifri» li'u sei mi randa .o'a nai
>>
>>52269514
>lojban
>useful

Even as a Lojbanist, I would dispute this.
>>
>>52287060
>too much sumti for lifri or whatever BOOM *ike

sina o toki wawa ike ala, sina jan pona! tenpo kama sina li pona!
>>
>>52285141
http://vocaroo.com/i/s18VzBkmCyR2

here is some esperanto poetry

I am saying:
But also in the ranks of the attacking Roman army
there's more than just a single one who fathered me.
When Roman fought the savage in a battle to the death
sword to sword and hand to hand 'til only one drew breath.
Two men fought with each other to the grave whose seed combine
post centuries apart to form this blood of mine.
With a fearsome blow one of them brings forth the crimson flood
and so the donor of my blood, spills out my very blood...

^this translation is pretty bad but it gives you the gist
>>
File: unnamed.png (46 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
46 KB, 300x300
>>52287404
Ofc you will.
Loglan is the master race.
>>
File: 0v.png (3 KB, 150x81) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
3 KB, 150x81
If anyone is interested, I run an Ido channel on Freenode.

Server: irc.freenode.net

Channel: #NiaIdo

If you don't know what IRC is - it is a chat protocol. You can connect to IRC servers through Pidgin, HexChat, Trillian, and more.

If you want to check it out via the web, I have a web-client embedded on my language website that will connect directly to it.

http://ayadan.moosader.com/ido/ido-chatroom/
>>
>>52286491
Was bored in History class and wrote a little poem about the topic, felt like posting it somewhere. I suppose it may be difficult to understand if you are not knowledgeable about the subject though.
>>
>>52287441
well its not THAT bad a translation but you know what I mean...poetry is hard to translate
>>
File: bridiman.png (19 KB, 231x143) Image search: [Google]
bridiman.png
19 KB, 231x143
>>52277267
The most fluent speaker of Lojban has Asperger's Syndrome...
>>
File: 1450008536993.png (138 KB, 680x798) Image search: [Google]
1450008536993.png
138 KB, 680x798
>>52253383

Fuck off with your useless shit arsing meme speaking bollocks you waste of space idiot. Drown yourself in the piss puddle of created by your own ineptitude.
>>
File: 0v.png (80 KB, 264x198) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
80 KB, 264x198
>>52280871
>a place for autism
That should be our slogan! :D

"/lang/: A Place For Autism"
>>
>>52287441
>here is some esperanto poetry
Translation with rhymes, anyway, nice. Who did write it?

>>52287732
How intolerant (kek) of you.
What's you're doing today, monsier practical businessman, learning arabic?
>>
>>52284836
Post a Vocaroo recording of you reading some Arabic.
>>
>>52285141
Is that you, Harry Potter?
>>
>>52288045
It is William Auld's, "La Infana Raso" ("The Child Race"), a famous poem among Esperanto speakers.

Original: http://www.sunela.eu/maku/Esperanto/La%20infana%20raso?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=la_infana_raso.txt

translation of Chapter 1: http://www.sksmithmusic.com/esperanto/Child_Race_1.html

>Auld was nominated for the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1999, 2004, and 2006 making him the first person to be nominated for works in Esperanto.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Auld
>>
>>52287732
Nice try, French government!
>>
>>52244474
We need more language emotion pictures!
>>
can the Russians force me to learn Russian instead пoжaлyйcтa
>>
>>52287921
Hey, /lang/, I've intened tEh NuE /int/ErNaTiOnAl LaNg!
It consists of two vowels 'e' and 'ё' (pronouced as [ʉ] and [ɯ]), those differ with tones (3 st. tones and 1 undefined tone ($) for special subjective purposes of speaker) and one semi-consonant "k" (pronounced as [ɧ]). It has two genders (animate and inanimate, ke1k and kë$ke1k), it's ergative, has somehow twelve cases for adjectives, also there are only adjectives and only one verbe in the lang: kek (intr. v.) - to kek.
Wut do?

>>52288709
What kind of literature do you prefer?
>>
>>52288696
>>
>>52288961
We should make some with the other Toki Pona glyphs.
>>
>>52288999
ni li lon, jan pi nanpa pona o!
taso mi pali ala e sitelen ni.
tenpo pini la jan sitelen ante li pali e ni. ike. mi ken ala tan ni: ilo sona mi li pakala mute.
>>
>>52288597

> Implying the French gov speaks any kind of English other than "hon hon hon"
>>
>>52289140
>>52288999
http://tokipona.net/tp/janpije/hieroglyphs.php
>>
>>52289587
>suwi
^.^

Pretty nice, but no one will understand it, I think (but it doesnt matter, right?). All the picture in those symbols anu seme?
Or... if you means scripts (that coulf transform text into emoticons) or something about programming - it's not my deal, I don't really know it, ike.
mi nasa la mi wile lape la mi tawa. tenpo kama lili la tenpo suno kama li kama.

>>52288709

http://tokipona.net/tp/janpije/hieroglyphs.php
>>
File: my_trip_to_thailand.png (642 KB, 364x750) Image search: [Google]
my_trip_to_thailand.png
642 KB, 364x750
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ptidnvDVWI
>>
>>52290353
>>52288709
>http://tokipona.net/tp/janpije/hieroglyphs.php
Ooops, pardon.
https://youtu.be/sqdiEUp6s4E
>>
>>52290728
>poverty cartoons
>>
>>52290917
it's
A R T
R
T

ь_ь
>>
Cẋaaə vey mott bücaş valaẋ quzaẋ süga yazdi, vey yiş xilaẋ skype çöẋ ǩamelaş dira du vey, Dala muǩa xilaẋ. Laramca.
>>
>>52291331
So is this: >>52290601
>>
>>52291818
Člabsudelkees, soo te ta fasomen y vrechuu en bi kojjii i yɛɛ Abɔ a haa pravolvertícul ređunderseegualaga wɔtu; hu fi žives y feutivirgand kaa ɛsɛ akimirravan pondaa sonachuu nomdwumijamni n'aa adie wɔdworɔ hei no mmao ko mur naa asaaliducción a kwala qabaarbaciamnipa im n'ausummo ara dig!
>>
Toki Pona was invented by a transgender Canadian, you're all being cucked.
>>
File: babel.png (37 KB, 1499x927) Image search: [Google]
babel.png
37 KB, 1499x927
>>52292610
>2015
>being transphobic
>>
>>52292820
>Le current year man
>>
>>52293025
I do not understand this reference.
>>
File: 1450224711334.jpg (247 KB, 1500x1543) Image search: [Google]
1450224711334.jpg
247 KB, 1500x1543
>>52293339
>>
>>52293385
Ah, I see.
Bigoted opinions belong on >>>/pol/ .
>>
File: aWidyWh.png (227 KB, 381x334) Image search: [Google]
aWidyWh.png
227 KB, 381x334
>>52293469
It's in our right to think that Transexualism is a mental disease.
>>
>>52293551
I didn't stutter, bigot. Take it to >>>/pol/ .
>>
File: 0v.png (449 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
449 KB, 500x374
https://vo.wiktionary.org/wiki/Vükivödabuk:Cifapad
>>
File: ic3peak.png (214 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
ic3peak.png
214 KB, 350x350
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55gOHqHvX3U
>>
File: 0v.png (31 KB, 150x90) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
31 KB, 150x90
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWJJXxUjEGM
>>
File: 0v.png (579 KB, 512x1198) Image search: [Google]
0v.png
579 KB, 512x1198
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d6TWMWddXWY
>>
File: 0_1a.gif (261 KB, 678x960) Image search: [Google]
0_1a.gif
261 KB, 678x960
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LznfBIqzEfM
>>
File: 0f.png (442 KB, 629x623) Image search: [Google]
0f.png
442 KB, 629x623
>>
>>52297912
Slightly funny. :)
>>
File: 1434691568497.png (939 KB, 964x1268) Image search: [Google]
1434691568497.png
939 KB, 964x1268
I would like to learn Russian.

I speak only english fluently, can get by with French, and know a scratch of ancient greek. Obviously they will not help with Russian, but i just thought id throw that it in.

How achievable is it to selfteach Russian using books, websites like Duolingo and the occaisional vocaroo from a friend?
>>
>>52298920
reddit.com/r/LanguageLearning
>>
File: 1439083731835.jpg (35 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1439083731835.jpg
35 KB, 640x360
>>52298920
It should take you a couple years. You need to be constant, learn new things every day, and immerse yourself in the language. Motivation and enthusiasm are really important as well, you will rarely manage to learn anything without a good reason (aka books, media, talking to russians).
>>
>>52288298

Why do you need that? Not pissed, just asking.
>>
>>52299087
>Motivation and enthusiasm are really important as well, you will rarely manage to learn anything without a good reason (aka books, media, talking to russians).
At least with the big euro languages (English/French/Spanish/German) you can motivate yourself by simply doing you would normally do, but force yourself to use the target language translations.
But there isn't THAT much translated into Russian, and I get the impression that the translations tend to be really shit.
>>
>>52299248
This is a Vocaroo thread. Post voice.
>>
>Using Duolingo to learn German
>First nationality it teaches is "Turk"
>Everyone learning German has to say "I am a Turk" before the even learn the word Deutsch
>>
>>52299513

I see. This is my first reading of a high level passage in Arabic with attempts at inserting some diacritics. There is a bit of stuttering, sorry about that.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1FC5m6bZVlT

link to the article discussed in my reading (it talks about previous Arabic works on fucking [btw I suggest looking up "The Perfumed Garden"; it puts the Kama Sutra to shame in descriptive language])

http://raseef22.com/culture/2015/12/17/%D9%82%D8%B5%D8%B5-%D8%B9%D8%B1%D8%A8%D9%8A%D8%A9-%D8%B9%D9%86-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AD%D8%A8-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AC%D9%86%D8%B3-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%A3%D8%B1%D8%A8%D8%B9%D8%A9-%D9%83%D8%AA%D8%A8-%D9%85%D9%86/
>>
>>52299992
Quality microphone, amiko.
>>
>>52300101

sarcasm? It's a MacBook Pro from 2008...
>>
>>52300174
It sounds like a tin can from 1975.
>>
>>52284836
my Arabic needs practice as well. I'm not a beginner, but it definitely needs work
Mainly my problem is lack of practice speaking and conversational skills, any tips to help with that?
>>
>>52299525
I don't remember it doing that at all
>>
File: Turk.png (102 KB, 2115x1179) Image search: [Google]
Turk.png
102 KB, 2115x1179
>>52300350
>>
File: 1437127122000.jpg (19 KB, 500x455) Image search: [Google]
1437127122000.jpg
19 KB, 500x455
>>52300438
Quality bantz from the owl, right there.
>>
>>52300206

Don't talk shit about Apple lol

>>52300305

For conversation, I would suggest you meet someone who speaks it. Skype, online, interpals is one way, I would suggest visiting a mosque or an Arab Christian church (like Copts, Maronites, or some Orthodox) as another, Arab Christians are usually bro-tier, but I would also suggest a Quran study group in a mosque or speaking with worshippers there. It all depends if you want to be conversationally fluent in dialect or in MSA, idk which one you want.

As for practicing on your own, vocaroo seems like a good tool, and also don't forget

-sun and moon letters
-pronunciation of the consonants

and finally, !إعراب, إعراب, إعراب

If you know which diacritics come at the end of each word and why, you will improve exponentially on conversational skill in MSA. Guaranteed.

I was at it day in day out for a long time, and grammar helped me the most w convos
>>
>>52287732

> muh francophonie

Dont't worry dude, even if Esperanto disapears tomorrow votre morceau de merde of a language would not become more popular.
>>
>>52300438
>tfw every "German" on cultural pals who contacted me was a turk
>>
>>52293551

Nice to see not all of you are idiots.
>>
>>52300624
Vidu >>52292820
>>
>>52300542

to add:

also, for smooth conversation, I would get familiar with kana, inna, and all them bitch's sisters. This is because kana and her sisters will help you talk about what has occured and what has transformed, while inna and her sisters will help you state factual information and state conditions.

Along with أن especially, learn the verbal nouns of the verbs, that will smooth things.

Use the correct manners of لا و ليس

that's what has helped me.
>>
>>52300542
Thanks!
I'm learning MSA exclusively right now, but I would like to learn dialect, or at least how to comprehend it when spoken. idk I take a class three times a week, and then study for 30-45 minutes as many days as I can. The class isn't very serious at all though :/

I'll look into finding a Mosque or Arab Christian church to meet native speakers and practice my conversation skills. My classmates are not serious at all about learning the language, so finding native speakers outside other than the teacher would help.

I feel like I'm most lacking in understanding of the function of diacritics desu. I usually forgo the diacritics when saying sentences and don't pay THAT much attention to them when reading / writing. Also, do you hhave any recommendations for in-depth grammar books or short stories / simple practice books for reading comprehension?

Sorry for all the questions haha
>>
>>52300542
>>52300997
>spoken diacritics
holy shit what
>>
>>52300678
What is the function of أن specifically in the sentence? I thought it was similar to using هذه / هذا and their conjugations
>>
>>52300997

I find it quite hard to learn dialect without teachers, there's no corpus for dialect of course.

I know EXACTLY how you feel about your class. One just doesn't truly learn Arabic in the same, tongue-in-cheek let's-have-fun-bullshitting way people learn Spanish or a language like that. I've always said Arabic is a demanding yet austerely and arrestingly handsome mistress.

When you speak, it's just good to have the important instances of the diacritics remembered, like a dhamma for subjects in a normal sentence, using the correct case with the sisters, or tanween. Otherwise, trying to say all the diacritics is both tedious and comes off as a bit pompous sometimes. Keep the rules in your mind as you speak (look up langue vs parole, thats what i'm talking about).

As for books,

http://ebooks.rahnuma.org/religion/Arabic/Modern-Standard-Arabic-Reference-Grammar.pdf

is wonderful for grammar. That's pretty much a standalone reference for that.

Hans Wehr is definitely the standard dictionary for Arabic-English translation; English-Arabic is usually al-Mawrid.

Lane's Lexicon is an ABSOLUTE WHORE, but it provides much deeper insight into the measure system than Hans Wehr.

Honestly, get the Quran and start with the Tafsir of ibn Kathir in English (you can get it as an app). Just reading some of the suras with explanation made things so much clearer for me in reading Arabic, grammar and lexicon wise.
>>
>>52301037

O yes, habibi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%CA%BEI%CA%BFrab

actually a great take on the subject

http://arabic.desert-sky.net/g_cases.html

is a bit more concise and less technical IMO

>>52301137

أن is one of the sisters of inna. A lot of people translate it as "that" as in "he said that lunch would be cheaper today" or "to" as in "i love to eat beef". It is usually described as the separator between two verbs in a sentence. These are good explanations for its basic use, but I prefer to look at أن as a colon. This is because especially in higher level passages, it takes on a much more multifaceted purpose: it is the particle that specializes in introducing factual information that is a result of the verb it precedes. This includes communication (even though you use إن instead of أن after قال).
>>
>>52301457

also, for basic reading comprehension, news sources will be your best friend. BBC Arabic, al-Jazeera (a bit higher level usually, but still), al-Arabiyah, Sky News Arabic, dw.de Arabic, NHK Arabic, al-Hurra, CNN Arabic and some Arabic radio stations are good.

For stories, get an edition of 1001 Nights for higher level, there are some good Arabic novels if you look, Harry Potter, Twilight, and all that shit have been translated too, might need to look deeper for those. Poetry is quite complex usually, so be careful.
>>
>>52301457
Your description is perfect haha. I am really motivated to be fluent, even if it takes a few years.

I end up dropping the diacritics once I start having to use tanween for every word, though I try and keep at least some dhammas and kasrahs.

I have a Hans Wehr Arabic-English dictionary and I love it. The root system is a bitch though. I also have an IQRA First Steps in Arabic Grammar that I'm almost done with in terms of lessons, but its a great reference when I'm stuck.

Probably have picked up some bad habits from so much independant study lol. I try not to use English-Arabic dictionaries often, since theres a tendency to become reliant on them. Though when doing translation exercises I sometimes need to use an online one a lot
>>
>>52301694
>>52301864
Thanks so much for the help!

The poetry can be really complex. I love English poetry, but in Arabic poetry I get lost very easily. Arabic radio and music are somethings I like to listen to as well. Can't understand much of the songs, but most have catchy tunes.

Ohh makes more sense now. so أن essentially functions as a divider between two verbs, which in English would be "to" or other prepositions. I've been using لِ or إلى when translating sentences with two verns like that
>>
File: se vi povas legi ĉi tiun.jpg (82 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
se vi povas legi ĉi tiun.jpg
82 KB, 960x960
toki, ĉiuj!
>>
>tawa lape
>lukin e linja ni
>lukin e jan kama sona toki Losi
>lukin e jan sona toki Alapi
>lukin e jan ike jan kama poka ante
>lukin e jan ike Polu
Tan seme?
>>
>>52302148
>>lukin e jan ike jan kama poka ante

mi ken ala sona e ni toki sina
>>
>>52301963

With practice and especially appreciation for the concepts brought forward by Arabic and how it does so, it will take a shorter time than you think, and in some aspects you will be surprised how long it takes. Learn to enjoy the root system more, it's one of the most beautiful parts of the language. I would suggest for English-Arabic translation to guess the root which best relates to word you're looking for in your head, try to apply the right measure, the right verbal noun pattern, then look it up on Google or whatever... even if you're wrong, you'll be amazed at how broad the scope of some of the roots are. For example, حفظ means "to protect, preserve, or keep". A wallet is a محفظة, or literally "a place of keeping something", and someone who memorizes the Quran is called a حافظ, or "someone who keeps the Word in his head".

>>52302119

I can't understand the songs or most dialect either.

Remember a few things about ل or إلى:

إلى is used as a preposition, not an introduction to a clause like أن. It merely points the action to something else, location-wise, time-wise, or semantically when combined with a certain verb.

ل is a preposition most of the time, but it is used in some constructs and also as a weaker imperative. You might have noticed that in some higher passages, it just seems that they slap ب or ل in front of some words will nilly and when translated, they dont seem like the right meaning. Understand that a lot of the time, especially in higher passages, this is done solely to put the object of it into the genitive case (where the nouns modifies another in some way) so that it's easier to manipulate in a sentence.
>>
>>52302457
The root system takes getting used to I suppose. I do like how most words related to the verb, as in your example of حفظ branching into حافظ and محفظة. I think some words do fall outside of this pattern, but theres execptions to almost every grammar rule haha

I've noticed that the prepostions لِ، بِ، إلى، على (and more) function as different English equivalent in different sentences / parts of the sentence. The meanings are largely based on context.

How long have you been learning / speaking Arabic? It seems you have practiced for a long time
>>
File: 1445331101279.jpg (14 KB, 221x246) Image search: [Google]
1445331101279.jpg
14 KB, 221x246
>actually learning Arabic
Come on, lads.
>>
File: r_plus_7.png (229 KB, 450x436) Image search: [Google]
r_plus_7.png
229 KB, 450x436
http://lingweenie.org/conlang/grapheion/
>>
>>52302790

I've practiced for a few years. It's been a long and stressful ride to me. The next thing I need to do is learn dialect, my teacher told me it's easier for a noob to learn MSA than for a dialect learner to learn MSA, so I'm wondering if it's the other way around. My main flaw is I get a hard-on for going straight to the high level shit and deconstructing it before I learn what is needed to be learned by rote.
>>
>>52302941
Dialect shouldn't be that big of a leap from MSA, but idk. My teacher teaches in MSA, but also gives the slang words / dialect versions of sentences to familiarize the class with dialect. There lots of different dialects too, depending on the countries.

I've have the same problem. I just want to jump right into the higher level material without being 100% on what needs to be learned by memorization. Lately I've been telling myself to review more and go a little slower to make sure I understand completely what is being learned
>>
So I'm trying to make sense of that Wave thing.

I think I'll be, for each of lessons, adding the following to a dedicated Anki deck:
- all the terminology introduced
- all the new lexics
- for brain-raping stuff like FA etc. - some exercises
- a dozen words

And only work through one or two lessons a week.

It has separate words for hardware and software clients/servers and the word 'repair' can be narrowed down to 'repaired to do X'. What's not to love here?
>>
File: lincoln.png (72 KB, 740x680) Image search: [Google]
lincoln.png
72 KB, 740x680
>>52303256
What would you like to know?
>>
>>52303302

Lojban lol.

At this point I can't even start asking questions, it's different from other human languages I know. Actually some things feel like lua/ruby/python to me: it seems to have nil and undef in a way and words resemble objects with methods and properties.
>>
>>52303475
Well, it *is* a logical language, so it will resemble programming languages to some extent.
>>
>>52303530

Pretty neat it is. Would be nice to read documentation in it.

I wonder how people go about studying it. It's not like you can attend to Lojban course or something. The Wave is good but it lacks exercises, so I'm trying to make some for myself.
>>
>>52303622
Just check out the links on la .jbotcan.
>>
>>52303651

> .uu.ue mi se skami srera

Wow that 500 is cute :3
>>
>>52303875
http://jbotcan.org/
>>
>>52303929

mi jimpe

http://jbotcan.org/docs/l4b/
>>
>>52304056
.ui nai

In any case, all the information you might ever need can be found on the first few pages of Google.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-p2jJ_jngKc
>>
>>52304198

I don't say there's no information. I say I can't find good textbooks (!= grammar reference or presentation), Wave is closest to it but see above. Anyway, I'm working on it.
>>
Bonvolu ĝui ĉi tiun paĝon: http://www.fridaynightlinguistics.org/languagecreation/index.html

Ni lipu o musi tawa sina: http://www.fridaynightlinguistics.org/languagecreation/index.html

:)
>>
>>52304504
There are no textbooks. All the lessons are on the website. Everything else for you to learn from the grammar book.

It was designed to test the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis, so it deliberately avoids trying to force the learner into a set standard.
>>
>>52304348
mi ŝatas ties vizaĝon

ekzistu pli da videoj en esperanto pri artefaritaj lingvoj mdr
>>
>>52304613
Yeah, its pretty rare to find!
>>
>>52304677
fakte mi mem kreas videojn fojfoje, tamen ne pri lingvoj. pro ĉi tiuj fadenoj eble mi kreos filmeton pri tokipono. la malfacilaĵo estas ke mi estas komencanto, tokipone.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 51

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.