[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone ever feel like this country doesn't actually
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10
File: 300px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png (3 KB, 300x150) Image search: [Google]
300px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
3 KB, 300x150
Does anyone ever feel like this country doesn't actually exist? Like I'll be on int posting 2015 and weed memes and then suddenly remember that canada is a REAL PLACE and IM IN IT RIGHT NOW
Like it's just really hard for me to accept that right now, I and everything around me are in the country CANADA
>>
>>52159268
stupid leaf stfu
>>
>>52159401
this desu
>>
>Not being loud and proud of the greatest fucking leaf in the Commonwealth
Go drown yourself in the straight, Chang.
>>
File: 2522626.png (63 KB, 1300x866) Image search: [Google]
2522626.png
63 KB, 1300x866
>>52159984
This.

Fucking kill yourself OP.

God Save our Queen and Heaven Bless the Maple Leaf Forever
>>
>>52159984
I feel like an American most of the time, maybe because I am. Really the only time I feel any different is when someone disregards my post because of ebin weed memes and when I look at the colorful money.
>>
>>52160046
>>52160046
woops, meant for OP Tbh, must be the weed fumes
>>
File: 1448728379867.jpg (74 KB, 640x843) Image search: [Google]
1448728379867.jpg
74 KB, 640x843
>this thread
>>
Minorities are prouder to be Canadian than whites are
>>
>>52160232
Yeah those Chinks in Vancouver who refuse to learn English sure are patriotic Canadians
>>
>>52160046
>colorful
Fuck off Yankee
>>
>>52159984
>being proud of something out of your control like where you're born
if anything I should be ashamed for being a fuckup despite being born in a great country
>>
>>52160232
you've clearly never met or worked with them, the ones I know brag about taking advantage of the country

guess that CBC propaganda works on someone
>>
>>52160232
feels so fucking good honestly
>>
>>52160046
This is the only country on the planet with no national identity.

I've always been in favour of shit like billingualism [taught to everyone to a high-standard/fluency K -12], stronger ties to the Commonwealth, a bigger and better CBC akin to the BBC, english/scottish/french style Canadian architecture [which was built regularly before the 1960s], less suburbanisation/better urban planning.

Make Canada great again. Make it what it should be.

Canada became diet America during the 1960s. The USA will always be our greatest ally, but no nation has ever had a cause to exist by being just like its neighbour. Canada can easily be far better than the USA, and it's absolutely pathetic that we're content to be a carbon copy of them. At this rate they may as well annex us, and I don't want this nation that can be so much better than that to become the 51st state. The greatest existential threat to Canada has always been the United States. It is vital to our national security that we actually have a national identity, and both our liberal and conservative politicians don't mind our country being a vapid, cultureless non-country. Liberals care about petty identity politics and the Tories suck the dick of corporations and big oil.

We should never have become independent from Britain if we were just going to become America's vassal.
>>
>>52165306
Dude, whatever. We like the same things because we're not retarded. To change who you are because you want to be different than america would be a great disservice to yourself.

What would you change? How would you get out from underneath america's boot?
>>
>>52165306
>The USA will always be our greatest ally
WTF, they tried to invade you multiple times. The UK protected Canada every time and now the US is your greatest ally?
>>
>>52165306
Read lament for a nation and ignore the yank who replied to you
>>
dumb leafposter
>>
Trudeau 1 destroyed out country decades ago, and Trudeau 2 is here to finish the job. I'm fleeing this soulless MacPlace like a rat from a sinking ship and moving to Japan. Enjoy your Balkan style race war when the economy tanks.
>>
>>52160293
Both are technically acceptable in Canada, though in most universities and in the government only Commonwealth spelling is correct.

You see both everywhere. Also, a lot of products are imported from the USA so American spelling is ubiquitous, as well as of course American movies and television.

I'm not defending how widespread American spelling has become, but it's a matter of fact that in Canada it's perfectly valid. Many Canadians write one word the American way, and another the Commonwealth way. It's a discrepancy between what we're taught in school and what we see on imported products, in media, and private companies.

I've always been pretty anti-american so I personally use almost exclusively Commonwealth spelling, but I know that many people, like OP, are basically Americans in every way but birth certificate and use almost exclusively American spelling. The truth is very few people here give a shit how you spell colour/color, tyre/tire or centre/center.

I hear it's similar in Australia as well.
>>
>>52165306
>Make Canada great again. Make it what it should be.
We've got a canuck trump here everybody, in 2015! It's the current year for God's sake, you can't say things like 'great' and your country in the same sentence, you racist! IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR!
>>
>>52165601
Literally reddit holy fuk, stop posting anytime
>>
File: turbot war.png (70 KB, 372x615) Image search: [Google]
turbot war.png
70 KB, 372x615
>>52165306
>>52165464
Also the US does not recognise Canada's borders, it doesn't respect Canadian sovereignty:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_areas_disputed_by_Canada_and_the_United_States

Even on more recent and minor conflicts, who supports Canada? The UK, not the US. Pic related.

Throughout history and more recent history Britain has helped Canada, the US has mostly been an aggressor, or unwilling to help, or actually rejecting Canada's definition of its own sovereignty

And the US is your "greatest ally"? Well paint me triggered.
>>
>>52165464
>>52165712
get fucked bong, no one likes you haha
>>
>>52159268
Agreed, IRL it feels like 20 people live in Canada
>>
>>52165481
>lament for a nation
It's so sad how many books there are like this for the west, particularly Anglo countries, and how much shit they get right.
>>
>>52159268
Canada is the prefered place for immigration by the brazilian middle class.
>>
>>52165464
It's not 1812. As anti-american as I am in sentiment [I'm against them dominating us], for the past century we've had a incredibly stable, friendly relationship with our rebelious cousins south of the border. We have a remarkably cordial relationship with them, but we've fallen into the trap of becoming a copy of them.

Thinking the USA isn't our friend would be naive, but you don't want to be a shadow of your friend, you have to build your own identity and purpose. That's what we lack.
>>
>>52165808
>It's not 1812
This >>52165712 happened in 1996. I'm not saying don't be their friend, of course you should be friends. But to say they're your greatest ally when it's the UK that supports you in disputes with other countries while the US does nothing, and the US actually doesn't recognise Canadian sovereignty over its borders, that's pretty sad from our point of view.
>>
>>52165743
Since it's winter, that number is currently about 5
>>
>>52165735
America is always pretending to be everyone's best ally but is happy to meddle as much as possible in anyone's country regardless of what that country wants, has fuck all respect for anyone's sovereignty but its own.
>>
>>52165808
Can confirm
>>
>>52165464
And if Canada weren't paying sheckles to the Queen right now I doubt you'd be saying any of this bullshit.
>>
>>52165464
>>52165712
canada is our closest ally no matter what kind of bullshit you want to bring up, and despite that there are autists like this living there >>52165601

i've lived an hour away from canada for the first 20 years of my life and have been there, idk, 40 times and the differences are so minimal that an american can integrate into canada and vice versa in a couple days. i think that's what you would call a close relationship.
>>
>>52165961
>i have been to canda lots and im us so canada best ally
>>
>>52165933
They don't pay for the Queen you clueless moron. They pay for their own governor general (a substitute head of state which they would be paying for whatever they did), and the upkeep of buildings in Canada - which they would paying for anyway since they're Canadian buildings. I don't know why you're lying.
>>
>>52165996
i think that's some better justification than bringing up the war of 1812 and a fishing rights dispute and trying to pass that off as the UK being a better ally to canada

then you have a canadian guy who flat out said that he's anti-american government wise and is saying that we're extremely friendly and their best ally

you're weird
>>
>>52165998
because it's so fun to see how buttmad you get about Canada-US relations and how its' one of the best relation between two states in the whole world
>>
File: triggered.jpg (22 KB, 265x308) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
22 KB, 265x308
>>52165961
>canada is our closest ally no matter what kind of bullshit you want to bring up
>bullshit
You mean the facts? >>52165464 >>52165712

FACT: the US doesn't recognise Canadian borders

FACT: the US did not support Canada in recent disputes with European countries, while the UK did. In fact the UK single-handedly stopped the EU from putting sanctions on Canada.

FACT: the US has repeatedly tried to invade Canada while the UK always protected their independence

>i think that's what you would call a close relationship.
Obviously the US and Canada are culturally similar you fucking retard. Do you understand the concept of "alliance"? It has nothing to do with similar ways of life.
>>
>>52166087
Do you think the threat of EU sanctions aren't a big deal? It's a huge deal, the EU is like a quarter of the world's economy. It's ONLY because of the UK that Canada's economy didn't take a massive hit from EU sanctions.

And where the hell was the US, Canada's supposedly greatest ally. Fuck off.
>>
>>52166104
>Do you understand the concept of "alliance"
yep, and bringing up a fishing rights dispute and ancient history (relative to this country) doesn't negate that canada is our closest ally. you would be hard pressed to find a canadian that would not say that the US is their closest ally.
>>
File: Canada_US_border.jpg (2 MB, 2560x1920) Image search: [Google]
Canada_US_border.jpg
2 MB, 2560x1920
>>52166104
>>
>>52166162
What kind of ally doesn't recognise their "closest ally's" borders? I mean that's like the most basic issue of sovereignty. You try to brush off the other thing as a fishing dispute, I'll remind you that the EU is a huge huge economic deal, the UK's support was fucking important whether Canadians realise it or not.

We did NOT have to help them. Maybe it would have been more beneficial for us to instead form a better relationship with our European neighbours. No, we didn't do that, we had Canada's back.

>>52166203
Fucking congratulations, you border each other. I didn't know allies had to be neighbours in order to be allies. Dopey retard.
>>
>>52165866
>>52165890
Prehaps "greatest ally" was an overstatement.

Still, I see the problem less as stemming from the USA itself but from the leaders of this country who see no value in sovereignty.

From our schools, to our industry, to our architecture, there is nothing Canadian about this country. Not to mention toxic multi-culturalism, which is our subsitute for any real values we should have.

Again, this country is half-assed and soulless. We shouldn't have asked for sovreignty if we were going to be so shit at it. At least we'd be different from our only neighbour if we didn't become independent.
>>
>>52166306
We are each other's largest trading partners and form the world's largest trade relationship

Canada is our greatest ally.
>>
File: bemused leonardo da vinci.jpg (40 KB, 614x545) Image search: [Google]
bemused leonardo da vinci.jpg
40 KB, 614x545
>>52166358
>We are each other's largest trading partners
Woah I didn't know China was Australia's greatest ally! Thanks for that great insight Cody.
>>
File: Flag-Pins-Canada-USA.jpg (81 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
Flag-Pins-Canada-USA.jpg
81 KB, 400x320
>>52166396
this jealousy is cute
>>
>>52166315
why are you alluding to the fact that our current relationship doesn't come with any benefits to your nation?

i mean, just the two obvious things, trade and defense allows your country to focus on things that you're so proud of like your expanded welfare state.

even still, cooling your relationship with us really wouldn't make anglo canada much different than us. we play the same sports and consume the same media. the only thing in my mind that would have made you a lot different than us is if your country decided to be entirely francophone.
>>
>>52166396
We are both in North America, so we are Canada's greatest ally.
>>
>>52166358
By the way, the UK's largest trading is the EU. It's the EU by fucking miles. Our primary economic interests are here in Europe and yet we helped the Canadians.
>>
>>52166461
>Our primary economic interests are here in Europe and yet we helped the Canadians.

The US helps Canada more than the UK, faggot
>>
>>52166488
no we dont because that one time the UK backed canada over a fishing dispute when we didn't so they're a better ally to canada than us
>>
>>52166510
Oh yeah, also if I used Google I'm sure to find that British companies employ more Canadians than American ones.
>>
File: 1387472788452.jpg (13 KB, 252x240) Image search: [Google]
1387472788452.jpg
13 KB, 252x240
>>52166488
How exactly, NORAD? That's in the USA's self-interest as an attack on North America threatens the US. Also pressuring the Canadians to be militarily dependent on the US is only good for the USA. We have a historical AND recent track record of helping Canada

>>52166510
Oh you want more do you? Shall we talk about how the US betrayed Canada with the 1946 McMahon Act? The Canadians, along with Britain, helped the Americans develop the nuclear bomb, and then straight after the war finished - DESPITE written agreements - the USA totally shut them out of the project. After taking their help and money.

Canada might have had the nuclear bomb today, but the USA betrayed them.

>Implementing the McMahon Act created a substantial rift between United States and Britain. The new control of "restricted data" prevented the United States' allies from receiving any information, despite the fact that the British and Canadian governments, before contributing technology and manpower to the Manhattan Project, had made agreements with the United States about the post-war sharing of nuclear technology. Those agreements had been formalized in the 1943 Quebec Agreement. In the case of the United Kingdom, these were developed further in the 1944 Hyde Park Agreement, which was signed by Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt.[33]

Greatest allies right? Right?
>>
>>52165601
I'm surprised to find that out.

I always though Commonwealth spelling was the only accepted spelling in Canada. I'm sorry about this.
>>
>>52165601
We have a few americanisms in our spelling, skeptic would be one example where people seldom use the British spelling.

If you were to use "Color" though people would give you funny looks and silently wonder if you're too stupid to find the letter u on your keyboard,
>>
>>52166823
i really find the amount of attention given to commonwealth/british spelling silly, if you speak another language you'd realize how standardized english is compared to everyone else
>>
>>52166630
we have the same electrical sockets, so point one for the big guy. You've got nothing
>>
>>52166916
English is actually unstandardised compared to other major languages. French has the Académie française, Spanish has Real Academia Española.

English has no such oversight and regulation of the English language.
>>
>>52167091
This. that is why there are such spelling conflicts in the first plst
>>
>>52167091
i speak spanish and am kekking, cause de jure you are very wrong
>>
>>52167159
No, I'm correct
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_Espa%C3%B1ola

Do you even know what "de jure" means? Did you mean to say "de facto"?
>>
>>52167284
i did mean de facto, it is 6 am here and i've been up all night

for fuck's sake, spain and argentina even use another conjugation (vosotros) while mexico doesn't

not sure how you're gonna argue about spanish with me when i speak it and you don't. thats another level of autism.
>>
>>52167365
t. Jesus Manuel Ortega de Trastamara del Santa María de la Bahía de Vizcaya en las rocas de Cantabria
>>
File: trudeau.jpg (62 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
trudeau.jpg
62 KB, 960x960
>>
>>52169661
DUDE
>>
>>52170542
Canada? More like Cannabis.

Amarite?

420 ₩€£D ▶ 2015 ◀ Islam //
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.