[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you call pic related in your language? Zavináč here.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: 220px-At_sign.svg.png (6 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-At_sign.svg.png
6 KB, 220x220
What do you call pic related in your language?

Zavináč here. Zavináč means rollmops, which is a kind of rolled up pickled fish food, which I guess resembles @ in shape so they called it that.
>>
Apenstaartje

Monkey tail. Sounds childish as fuck desu
>>
Małpa - monkey
>>
at sign
>>
Snabela

Means trunk a
>>
>>52117045
Arobase.

I don't know why though. It can easily be substituted by saying "at". People generally understand and can interchange the two.
>>
Afna
>>
Arroba. It was an unit of measurement of weight in medieval MENA and it was officially used in Spain during the Islamic ocupation. In fact, the @ was the sign of said unit and was invented by muslims, it was calledالربع(ar-rub) originally and it was roughly 11,2 kilograms
>>
>>52117045
Arroba, that symbol was used in Spain as a weight unit.
>>
>>52118446
>and was invented by muslims

The earlier use of that symbol was in Italy and Spain.
>>
at thing/sign/symbol

pretty obvious why, [email protected]
>>
>>52117045
Sobaka
a dog
>>
miukumauku
>>
>>52119630
Sure kid
>>
>>52119742
> An Italian academic claims to have traced the @ symbol to the 16th century, in a mercantile document sent by Florentine Francesco Lapi from Seville to Rome on May 4, 1536.[8] The document is about commerce with Pizarro, in particular the price of an @ of wine in Peru. In Italian, the symbol was interpreted to mean amphora (anfora). Currently, the word arroba means both the at-symbol and a unit of weight. In Italian, the symbol represents one amphora, a unit of weight and volume based upon the capacity of the standard amphora jar, and entered modern meaning and use as "at the rate of" or "at price of" in northern Europe.

>Until now the first historical document containing a symbol resembling a @ as a commercial one is the Spanish "Taula de Ariza", a registry to denote a wheat shipment from Castile to Aragon in the as 1448. Even though the oldest fully developed modern @ sign is the one found on the above-mentioned florentine letter.[8]
>>
Strudel
>>
kukac
which translate to the little worm you go fishing with
>>
mouse
>>
monkey
>>
atto marku ("at mark")
>>
>>52117045
monkey tail
or aarond
>>
JUST
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.