[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why does Switzerland not have its own language "Swiss language"?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5
File: ch~.gif (754 B, 324x216) Image search: [Google]
ch~.gif
754 B, 324x216
why does Switzerland not have its own language "Swiss language"?
then, what is their identity?
they don't want their mother tongue?
>>
>a fucking medpack
>>
>>52097339
Because they never made it official.

Objectively speaking, Swiss German has the right to be considered a different language from High German as much as Dutch does.

I dunno why they never made Swiss German official tbqh.

They're not even an ethnicity by the way, they're just "muh neutrality, muh money, muh mountains".
>>
Romanche is the native Romantic Language of Switzerland, but they don't call it Swiss.
>>
>>52097548

>as much as Dutch does

Another totally uneducated Italian. Seems to be a norm with you wops.
>>
>>52097635
>le Dutch is so different maymay
I'm not even a native german speaker and I can understand a shitton of Dutch through my German knowledge.

Swiss German has a different grammar( Fewer cases, different syntax), a different pronunciation, a different orthography.

If Dutch and Plattdeutsch have the right to be considered different languages, I honestly don't see why Swiss German wouldn't.
>>
>>52097339
>then, what is their identity?
It's literally "Habsburgs fuck off".
>>
>>52097548
Swiss German actually comprises several different dialects. There's no such thing as "Standard Swiss German". There would be no point in making Swiss German the national language if there's no standard form.

Our situation is actually very complex. It's called a "medial diglossia": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_German#Use
>>
>>52097794
Dutch and German are like Spanish and Portuguese

German and Swiss German are like Spanish and Mexican Spanish
>>
>>52097339
swiss identity is alemannic speaking and alemannic culture. we're also conservative as fuck
alemannic should be the official language though, not kraut.
>tfw only speak hochdeutsch and not glorious schwiizerdüütsch
dunno about romandy and italian speakers tho.
>>
>>52097794

>fewer cases
How about Dutch which has NO cases you ball of grease?
>different syntax
So does Dutch, depending on what you mean.
>different pronunciation
So does Dutch.
>different orthography
So does Dutch.

Dutch and German are completely mutually unintelligible. We have no cases at all, and two genders instead of three. We don't write nouns with capital letters. Our vocabulary is different to a large degree. We have totally different pronunciation.
>>
>>52097815
+1
Nowadays it's just "leave us alone,fuckers"
>>
>>52097932
it's more like russian and ukrainian, except it has no standard form.
>>52097845
desu high alemannic should be the standard. or different dialects based on different regions. easy.
although the current situation of "everyone speaks swiss german exclusively except for writing" is pretty good too.
>>
>>52097845
Well Italian and German were standardised pretty late, it doesn't necessarily mean that the language itself doesn't exist.

>>52097932
Yet a lot of German say that Dutch is easier to understand than Swiss German.

I also highly doubt that Mexican Spanish has different grammatical rules (Apart some minor differences) from Standard Spanish.
>>
>>52097973
JUST LIKE ALEMANNIC GENIUS
he's not saying dutch isnt a different language, but that alemannic is
>>52098035
also minaretverbot and guns tbĥ
>>
>>52097973
That's why I said that Swiss German should be considered a different language just like Dutch is, you dipshit.

Next time try to comprehend what you're reading, retard.
>>
>>52098069
>Yet a lot of German say that Dutch is easier to understand than Swiss German.
Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on that. Dutch has a completely different vocabulary whereas Swiss German has mostly the same vocabulary as High German (with a few minor exceptions) and the words are just pronounced slightly differently.
>>
>>52098035
So pretty much the same as always. Could replace Habsburgs with EU
>>
>>52098144

No you guinea subhuman monkey, you implied that the difference between Dutch and German is as big as the difference between Swiss German and High German, which is simply false.

Let me guess, your dumb ass doesn't even speak German or Dutch? Get fucked you hairy grease ball
>>
>>52097973
Also you take the piss and do silly stuff like add j's whenever you see an i.
>Berlijn
What the fuck.
>>
>>52098188
true
>>52098164
i think the grammar and phonology are enough to distinguish it as a langiage to be honest. after all, its about mutual intelligibility, not differences in differet categories that make it a language
>>
>>52098289
its the finnish of germanic
>>
>>52098364
But the grammar and phonology can vary greatly between different dialects. The Wallis dialect is difficult to understand even for us.
>>
>>52097845
I think you might call the concept of " Swiss German" to Swiss language even if there's no"Standard Swiss German" and there are a lot of dialects, such as we call British English and American English just to English.

Why don't you Swiss people do this?
>>
>>52098552
It just sounds pretty ridiculous to us. High German is the written language we use. Swiss German is also used in its written form, but only in very informal contexts such as text messages or informal e-mails. At school we were supposed to speak High German during class. There's also the problem of having a shared literal tradition with Germany and Austria. No one would want to start writing books in Swiss German for no real reason at all. It's simply not feasible.
>>
France, Italy and Germany should take their rightful clay and dissolve Switzerland
>>
>>52097794
>I can understand a shitton of Dutch through my German knowledge.
Ja, tuurlijk, alsof je hier ook maar iets van begrijpt, pannenkoek. Nooit dat je dit zonder google naar je pizza-taaltje of naar engels om kan zetten.
>>
>>52098989
youre just being intentionally different from german faggot
were not saying dutch isnt a language
>>
>>52098989
Are you a TV host on RTL?
>>
I just wanted to post this, but you can see the difference between Swiss, Dutch, and High German here pretty well
ek munuð meyla - Old norse
Jeg elsker små piger - Modern danish
Minä rakastan pikkutyttöjä - Finnish
Ich liebe junge Mädchen - German
Amo a las niñas pequeñas - Spanish
mahal ko ang mga batang babae - Tagalog
J'aime les petites filles - French
幼女が愛してる - Japanese
어린 소녀들 사랑 해요 - Korean
i liebe jungi meitli - Swiss
我爱小女生 - Chinese (Standard)
Parvas puellas amo - Latin
Ik hou van kleine meisjes - Dutch
Mám rád malé holčičky - Czech
ฉันรักเด็กผู้หญิงเล็ก - Thai
>>
>>52099132
everyone in the netherlands is
>>
>>52099060
>youre just being intentionally different from german faggot
I said exactly what I wanted to say in the exact wording that I would have used in everyday conversation.
Stop pretending you know anything of our language when all the evidence points to the contrary.
>>
>>52098989

Domme kanker Italianen proberen onze prachtige taal te ondermijnen met hun propaganda
>>52099060
Wees niet zo kankerdik
>>
>>52099197
>i liebe jungi meidli
>nid i liebe chli buebli
2/10 would not lynch for pedofaggotry
>>
>>52099197
This is cherrypicking at its finest, Amerifat.
>>
>>52099204
>implying the two are mutually exclusive
kankermongol tbĥ
>>
>>52099270
You can't spell büebli without ü.
>>
>>52099286
S-sorry, I got my German friend to give me the German one and my Swiss friend gave me the Swiss one, I don't know either language so I just trusted them
>>
>>52099197
>i liebe jungi meitli - Swiss
Would it be pronounced "Ih Liebe Yungih Mytlih"?
>>
>>52099286
no it isnt. all the words in the sentence have the same root, only different phonology
>>52099358
i havent spoken swiss german since i was 9 m8
>>
>>52099403
it would be ee, lee-eh-bee, yungee, maitlee
>>
>>52099358
Indeed. The pronunciation is completely different.

En Bueb --> singular
Zwei Büeb --> plural
Büebli --> diminutive (both singular and plural)
>>
>>52099324
Yes, using natural language and changing your wording in order to make it more different two German are in fact mutually exclusive, kankerdomme teringlijer. Regel eens een normale opleiding of zo.
>>
>>52099455
>lee-eh-bee
lee-eh-beh
>>52099480
i know
>>
>>52099498
*too
>>
>>52099516
How much of this do you understand?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3-UfPCubsE
>>
>>52099480
>zwei Büeb
het nie öpper gseit
wenn scho zwei Buebe
>>
>>52099480
We actually say "zwei buebe".
>>
>>52099381
In addition, that Japanese is a bit weird
幼女を愛してる is better desu
>>
>>52099597
Scheisse, du häsch rächt. Was han ich numme graucht um z'dänke, dass "zwei Büeb" irgendwie Sinn macht.
>>
>>52099595
probably not much
when i was in st gallen with my familie everyone had to speak standard german with me
lemme listen though
>>
>>52099669
熟女を愛してる is best desu senpai
>>
>>52099595
surprisingly i understood about 70-80% of it. gave me serious nostalgic feels though
>>
>>52099669
Thanks jap friend! Updated
>>
>>52099882
I actually transcribed the entire speech in the comments and translated it into Standard German. Take a look at it and see if you understand everything.
>>
>>52099595

It's like she's speaking Swedish or something.

>>52099669

What does 'desu' actually mean? And why is it used so often at the end of a sentence?
>>
>>52099954
nobody knows desu ne baka gaijin
its probably like la in cantonese or to be sure in hiberno english. meaningless emphasis
>>
>>52099954
>It's like she's speaking Swedish or something.
Come on, you've got to admit that at least the throaty "ch" sound is very reminiscent of Dutch.
>>
>>52098989
>Ja, tuurlijk, alsof je hier ook maar iets van begrijpt, pannenkoek.
Ja, türlich, als ob du hier auch mal (? should be something along was) von begreifst, Pfannenkopf.
>Nooit dat je dit zonder google naar je pizza-taaltje of naar engels om kan zetten.
Nicht das du das von der google nach deiner pizza-talk und nach englisch übersetzen kannst

well, i guess the general gist of easy sentences is possible to understand.
>>
>>52099954
> it means "it is"
>>
>>52099954
It's kinda impossible to translate a particle like desu into a non particle based language
>>
>>52099949
>ponyfaggot
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>52099954
just type t b h without spaces
>>
>>52100075
>says the >muh heritage namefag
You're one to talk, Amerifat.
>>
>>52100027
once i heard someone say swiss gwrman is like dutch with a danish accent t b h>>52100033
>>
>>52100064

Could you please give an example? Or some sort of context?

>>52100027

I agree. But sometimes when I hear Swedish from a distance, it's like they are speaking Dutch.
>>
>>52100158
>ponyfaggot thinking he can call someone out for being a namefag
ell em ayy oh
>>
>>52100076

I didn't mean the world filter, I meant in Japanse.
>>
Dog eating bastards.
>>
>>52097397
Underrated
>>
>>52100208
And thus the butthurt commences. I was expecting you to react this way and you did. Good to know that even after five years this fandom still causes unending amounts of butthurt. Now that we're in hiatus, I could use some more fun. That's why I'm here, after all.
>>
>>52100215
desu is the word when the speaker wants to make his phrase sound gentle to the listeners.
>>
>>52100307
The Red Cross was based on our flag, Mohammed. We came first.
>>
File: katana_nerd.jpg (205 KB, 608x367) Image search: [Google]
katana_nerd.jpg
205 KB, 608x367
>>52100317
>I was expecting you to react this way and you did.
>>
>>52100257
we eat horse actually
>>
>>52100165
It's kinda like confirming the previous statement is true, whereas something like "janai" is stating the previous statement is false. Take for instance "sushi ga suki desu" means "I like sushi" and "sushi ga suki janai" means "I do not like sushi". See how that particle at the end changes the message? Or even "sushi ga suki desu ka" means "do you like sushi?" due to the particle ka. At least that's my basic understanding,
>>
File: 1385280082783.jpg (17 KB, 221x261) Image search: [Google]
1385280082783.jpg
17 KB, 221x261
>>52100450
>>
File: 717.jpg (34 KB, 600x539) Image search: [Google]
717.jpg
34 KB, 600x539
>>52100572
>>
File: 1435159324616.jpg (28 KB, 603x530) Image search: [Google]
1435159324616.jpg
28 KB, 603x530
>>52097339
in the west they speak bastardized french. in the east they speak bastardized german. in the south they speak bastardized italian.

I guess what you could say is they are all a bunch of bastards
>>
Remember that news where they fired German nationals teaching kindergarten in Switzerland because they didn't speak the local Swiss German dialect? Even though Swiss German isn't properly defined in any of their laws?

BUT schools in Switzerland actually teach standard German, not Swiss German. So would it also be legal to fire a bilingual Swiss kindergarten teacher who grew up in the French or Italian speaking part and also spoke fluent German the way he learned it in Swiss schools, i.e. the standard German variety? All very confusing.
Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.