[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is English language education in your cunt? Did it really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 9
File: learn english.jpg (877 KB, 2550x1928) Image search: [Google]
learn english.jpg
877 KB, 2550x1928
How is English language education in your cunt? Did it really help you much in learning it?
>>
>>52077579
No.
>>
We study a lot of grammar rules but we suck at speaking t and our reading comprehension sucks too
>>
>>52077579
It's pretty okay, but you don't learn to speak it fluently just by going to classes.
>>
no.
i learn english by shitposting and stealing from someones sentence.
>>
>>52078657
Why do you Japs suck so much at English? Aren't you fuckers supposed to be smart and shit?
>>
>>52077579
I started learning English at home during kindergarten so I'm not really the best man to give you an answer. But it is a fact that Slovenes are one of the top nations when it comes to English proficiency, so I guess our English education is great - or we just have a natural language skill.
>>
>>52078710
try to learn japanese. you can instantly get the answer.
>>
No. I learned English mostly by watching My Little Pony. Mistakes were made, but now I'm able to shitpost here and that's a good thing I guess.
>>
>How is English language education in your cunt?
It's shit.
> Did it really help you much in learning it?
No,because people still do not get what I'm saying, sometimes.
>>
>>52079024
Desu desu tentacle hentai desu.
>>
>>52079334
baka desu senpai
>>
No
That's not practical,I want to learn more
>>
>>52077579
English is the natural language of the human race. I have a second language but I consider it inferior to my main.
>>
>>52079024
>Finnish is just as different from English as Japanese is
>Finns speak English pretty well while the Japanese can't speak it for shit

What is your excuse? It can't just be the alphabet. I mean 26 letters is fucking nothing compared to all the kanji, hiragana and katakana you have to learn.
>>
File: Canucks.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Canucks.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>52079474
Fuck off Chang. DUDE WEED LMAO IT'S THE CURRENT YEAR. Kill yourself maple syrup-covered poutine faggot motherfucker.
>>
Well English here is pretty good I guess. I mean, we have the highest percentage of fluent speakers in any country.
>>
Nah, I'm self-learned. Or rather exposed. Dad always installed windows in English. I took my first class at 11 which is quite late. Ever since I always scored 9/10 and graduated with the second best grade.

I remember struggling with Championship Manager when I was 8yo. Wish I'd played it in German.
>>
>>52079759
I heard Germans can speak German pretty well, too. Isn't it also amazing how good Finns are at speaking Finnish?
>>
>>52079674
Sometimes, several meanings' words have same transalation, but they are all different in English

As for me
>Facility, Equipment, Amenity
>>
>>52079874
Do you speak with a hilarious Chinese accent?
>>
File: imagits.jpg (251 KB, 800x835) Image search: [Google]
imagits.jpg
251 KB, 800x835
>>52077579
it's shit
i went to a private tutor when i was a kid so i know more than the rest, and it's still too little
>>
File: 1419978079783.jpg (5 KB, 244x198) Image search: [Google]
1419978079783.jpg
5 KB, 244x198
>>52077579

it's ok i guess, but most of my english comes from playing wow in a mainly brit populated guild when i was a 15 yo
>>
>>52080003
http://vocaroo.com/i/s14KLK2XDpkA
>>
>>52078710
>japs visiting my high school as a tour of America or some shit
>told that there super smart and can they can speak english because its taught in their schools
(they teach spanish in my school but no one but tacos can speak any of it because spanish class is a fucking joke)
>none of them can fucking speak for shit and say harro and prease all the time
>they all just sit there awkwardly in their uniforms with huge ass cell phones
>they barely even speak to eachother just act like they just came off from /r9k/

after they left we all made fun of them and one black guy showed us pictures of him making out with one of them
they did this every year for my 4 years in high school
>>
Sort of. School taught me the basic sentence structure, proper conjugation, declension, how to use nouns, pronouns, adverbs and adjectives, and few common interjections. You know, basic grammar.

90% of my vocabulary comes from playing video games and then later browsing the Internet and interacting with English speakers, watching movies and reading news and articles online, though.

The reason so many monkeys can't speak English even at a basic level is because they're retarded, that's all.
>>
>>52080358
Hilarious Chinese accent/10
>>
>>52079759
>implying oi chip chip cheerio it's bong o'clock is proper english
you can't even speak your own language right
>>
>>52080756
Unfortunately, it is.
>>
>>52080446
You must have gone to a pretty good school for you to have learned any English at all. Brazilian education generally sucks, especially concerning foreign language education. Now that the PT has been emphasizing Spanish over English for the last years, it's no fucking wonder Brazilians can't speak English for shit.
>>
The fucking teachers can't even speak proper English here. I ended up teaching them English, however ironic that might sound.
>>
>>52080901
Thanks
t. Chang
For your performance.
>>
>>52081051
>>52080756
Is there any point of reducing my English speaking accent?
>>
>>52081147
You probably should if you're intending to interact with Americans or other English speakers in the future. Native speakers may like to mock foreign accents, but in the end it just has to be clear enough to be understood.
>>
>>52079674
My friend says that Japanese differs way more than Finnish.
>>
Verb "to be" 10 years straight.

t. public school
>>
>>52081147
if you want to be understood.
your vocaroo was kinda to short for me to get any info on your accent but a bad chinese accent is almost complete giberish to english speakers.
they probably will just shake their head and say yes alot or can you repeat that because they have no idea what you're talking about
chinese accents are the hardest to understand out of all the accents
>>
>>52081359
Hanz probably has a shit German accent.
>>
>>52081456
We did that in French.
>>
>>52081492
>Hanz
That's not a name. It's Hans and I don't know a single fucking person who's called Hans. I also have a native-like accent. Do you want to hear?
>>
>>52081495
>having French

We don't even have proper Portuguese classes here t'bh, yiu're lucky.
>>
>>52081359
I actually know the importance
>No one understand me if words have wrong stress
>a proof of bad English
>etc

In my case, it is like
>having English Pronunciation class this semester
>still have hilarious accent
>not a useful class
>>
Yes
Swedish english education is really good
>>
>>52081568
Hans W is not a V
>>
>>52079674
watashi wa baka means im stupid. but in japanese , watashi wa baka desu, baka da, baka nano, baka nanoda, baka dayo, baka jya, baka yo, and shit are all the same meaning. and you have to choose a proper word, subject, and inflection in each situation.
like that, japanese language system heavily depends on situations and even speakers personalities, statuses, genders, ages, and shit. this part is completely different from english and maybe finn.

on top of that, theres a bunch of similar shitty complex topics like this.
>>
File: english-eu.jpg (174 KB, 650x607) Image search: [Google]
english-eu.jpg
174 KB, 650x607
>>52077579
>>
>>52078157
Same here 2bqh we suck at speaking me included
>>
>>52081467
>can you repeat that because they have no idea what you're talking about

>tfw it actually happens so many times
>I know Chinese accent is ridiculous because I have heard Chinese accent English very much.
>>
>>52081617
We learn Lithuania, English, and we can choose between Russian, French and German. So 1 native language and 2 foreign. Did you only learn one foreign language?
>>
File: image.jpg (287 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
287 KB, 2048x1536
>>52081758
>>
>>52082412
>feels bad man
>>
Not exactly topnotch, but not as bad as Indo

>help you much
National Language
>>
Pretty much awful.
I've learnt english through 4chan and chinese cartoons way more than from school.
I wouldnt say i'm fluent in english tho, but i belive i'm pretty decent for a southamerican. I got a c2 in a cambridge test.
>>
>>52079815
It's because we don't dub our shit on TV
>>
>>52081568
>I also have a native-like accent
Vocaroo some swiss german plz
>>
>>52081730
post that map in next 10-15 years, when the old people who were taught russian in public schools finally die
it will skyrocket
>>
>>52081718
But again, wouldn't it be easier since you only have to learn one way to say a thing(two at absolute most)?
>>
>>52077579
It's ok. They teach basic vocabulary and grammar at first, then later on you have to write essays and present stuff orally.

>Did it really help you much in learning it?
It certainly helps to a certain degree, but to actually master English you will have to work on it outside the school system as well. English is kind of strange in that it's a language I use and need every day, but never in its spoken form. In Norway I only ever use Norwegian when speaking to people, so it took me many years before I developed a reasonable English accent.
>>
>>52077579
my school was exceptional at teaching English desu, definitely in the top 1% worldwide
>>
>>52082679
reread, noob
>>
>>52083069
nice
>>
>>52077579
Nonexistant to "to be" tier.

>Did it really help you much in learning it?
No.
I've learned English by playing Tibia, shitposting on /b/ and watching Lost.
>>
>>52079358
RARE
A
R
E
>>
>>52081764
Only really upper class private colleges have the option to choose one foreign language. I've seen Canadian and British schools, Germans schools and French schools, and that's it.
>>
>>52082572
>>52082412
What character is that after "shì"?
>>
>>52081672
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0r3s7XXP3jo
>>52082753
http://vocaroo.com/i/s09KnmB84ASr
>>
>>52083508
Mein Name ist Peter aber ich werde auch als xxFedoralord47 genannt.
>>
>>52083626
Top kek.
>>
>>52083626
The "als" is superflous, though. You just say "Ich werde auch X genannt".
>>
>>52083508
you sound american
>>
>>52081758

I've worked with a lot of foreigners, and there are two things that people learning English do wrong. The first is pronunciation, which really isn't that big a deal. You can replace t's with d's, lisp all of your s's, and everyone will still understand.

What really gets confusing is the sound of sentences, the stresses on words, and the general cadence. It's sort of hard to explain, but if it has the rhythm of English, then pronunciation is a lot less important, because my mind will automatically fix your mistakes and I'll understand. If it doesn't have that rhythm, then I have to think about each word you're saying individually and then put it together to understand, and that's difficult if your pronunciation isn't good, and it's a pain to do, which makes it a drag to talk to you.
>>
>>52083756
That's what I'm aiming for. Do I sound like an actual American or can you still hear some foreign accent?
>>
>>52083708
I was insure so I included it for good measure.
Der erste Teil des Vocaroos war fast unverständlich für mich aber den Rest konnte ich verstehen.
>>
>>52077579
>públic education
Poor

It helps you nothing.

If you really want or need to learn english it's better If you enroll yourself in a good private english school or do it yourself by immersing yourself in the language
>>
>>52083832
There's still a hint of an accent (though if I didn't know you were Swiss I wouldn't be able to say what kind), and the way you space your words is a tad weird. Otherwise, it's perfect.
>>
>>52083838
I said "Ich han am letschten Aabig es bitzli Spaghetti gässe. Mir hets gfalle".

"I ate some spaghetti last night. I liked it".

It's a retarded as fuck sentence, but I just couldn't think of anything better to say.
>>
File: 1446226666059.jpg (21 KB, 273x270) Image search: [Google]
1446226666059.jpg
21 KB, 273x270
>>52078157
Your teachers are old and they suck then.

Fortunately, you can always cry to the head of your University by sending them a paper explaining why some particular teacher doesn't do their job properly. No translations, no boring memorization, no teachers that didn't score at least 110+ in TOEFL or that kind of thing.

Any language is about communication, and memorizing some made up rules is no good at all when it comes to developing your communicative skills and overcoming the language barrier. You may be able to do these English tests perfectly but can't say a word when push comes to shove.

For example, English classes here are more focused on speaking and our teachers are girls aged 23-28 with those international certificates in teaching English.
>>
>>52080897
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGuGzH3Ne5w
>>
>>52084006
Interesting. Your dialects are slightly harder to understand than the Austrian ones which are already quite difficult for me to understand.
>>
>>52083832
There's still something, but it's hard to place. Americans have a lot of slight regional accents, which are minor but consistent. Some people sound like they grew up in Minnesota, California, the South, the South West, Boston, the Mid West, or New York. It can be subtle or overt, but there's almost always a regional identifier if you listen to someone.

You've got a lot of them kind of mixed up, and every once in a while you sound vaguely foreign, but it's really hard to place.
>>
>>52084005
http://vocaroo.com/i/s043F6RS8NXk
>>
>>52084287
What about this? >>52084369
Do you still think my accent is kind of all over the place?
>>
>>52083508
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0r3s7XXP3jo
You still have an accent.
>>
>>52084587
Even here? >>52084369
>>
>>52084369
To a foreigner's ears your pronunciation is excellent. If I didn't see your flag, I would think that you are an American
>>
>>52084369
Almost perfect. Your vowels are sometimes slightly off. For example, you pronounced the last syllable in "exactly" almost more like a Brit would (same for the word "accent' in that same sentence). Also saying "muh" instead of "my" put me off, because that's more associated with other dialects than the one you were using. But I wouldn't worry about it too much--you're almost perfect, and nobody would care that you speak a little differently from a native speaker.
>>
>>52084369
Much better desu but I can still tell you're not an american, mostly because of the cadence. You sound a little stilted, like I can hear you pausing and sounding out the words in your head before you say it. If you could get a better flow to your sentences, it'd be perfect.
>>
>>52084587
>>52084645
Having an accent isn't really a bad thing desu. I'd much rather have a slight foreign accent than speaking with a completely sterile standard american accent.
>>
>>52084762
Yeah, but obviously a foreigner's ear for accents is different than a native's ear for accents. Americans can easily distinguish between a huge variety of American accents that may sound very similar to non-Americans, even Britons and such. I think it figures that my accent is kind of all over place, considering the input I get is also all over the place. I've never been to America so I've never really gotten the chance to acquire a regional accent.
>>
>>52084850
Yeah, that too.
>>
>>52084586
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s043F6RS8NXk
>>52084369

It's all really good, but there's still something there. You sound vaguely foreign on words like "normally" and "accent," and there're some strange regional American things on things like "you know" / "ya know".

It's sort of strange how it works out. You don't sound specifically foreign, but you don't really sound American either. If you lived somewhere in America for a few months you'd probably lose the accent completely.
>>
>>52085073
>>52084850
>>52084848
Thanks for all the feedback. Yeah, I guess I still kind of lack that natural cadence that most Americans have when talking. I'm curious about how you think I pronounced "accent" a bit weirdly. I actually noticed that myself. A lot of my teachers had British accents or were actual Brits and I actually spent a few weeks in England, so I guess it figures that a few words would come out sounding a bit British at times.

You guys have no idea how much work was involved in acquiring this accent. But now I've gotten this close to sounding almost exactly like an American, it feels that even the tiniest of improvements require much more effort than before.
>>
EFL teacher here. In Croatia, almost everyone younger than 60 understands English to an acceptable degree. Children start learning it in schools as an obligatory foreign language at age 6-7.
>>
>>52085448
It's still very good; even for the standards here in canada. I bet noone would really know the difference if you lived here.
>>
>>52085980
I actually sound a little bit different when reading something out loud. I read this post here: >>52085448. What do you think? http://vocaroo.com/i/s1gQ2u5WKnnY
>>
It's nothing great unless you've learned some yourself, and that's coming from a fennoswede.
I played video games from a very young age so I already had some basics down before we even started learning it in school.
>>
>>52085448

Oh I believe it, and you did a great job. I know people who've lived in the US for decades who sound a lot more foreign.

Sometimes it seems like you say it more like Ak-snt instead of Ak-sent. It's a minor thing, but it's a tell.

>>52086249

And honestly, I think one of the big giveaways is that you're speaking too precisely. Americans sort of slide around words. So it's more like "Yeah, I guessi still kinda lack thaa natural cadence thaa most Americans have."

Like: http://vocaroo.com/i/s1z66MVcydD3
>>
>>52086915
>http://vocaroo.com/i/s1z66MVcydD3
You sound Southern. Maybe Kentucky? Tennessee?
>>
>>52088070

Yep! Well, I more or less grew up in Texas, but my parents weren't from there, and I wasn't born there. I went to college in Boston and lived in upstate New York. I spent a year in South Carolina a little while ago, which sort of woke it up. Compared to people with strong southern accents, I don't have one, but I definitely have some of it. I can control it, but it feels like an affect if I do. I don't particularly think accents are a bad thing, whether they're regional or foreign. The way people speak tells something about them. I live in Seattle now, but I don't think an association with the South is a negative thing.
>>
>>52088070

Like: http://vocaroo.com/i/s12JdzzvXfkG

I toned it down, but you can still hear it on words like "talking". It's that relaxed drawl kind of thing. If I worked at it, I could get rid of it, but there are worse things to have.
>>
>>52088070

But yeah, if you want to absolutely nail an American accent without setting foot in the US, I'd say you're 95% of the way there. I'd get a book on tape read by someone with one and mimic his phrasing and pronunciation.

It's sort of funny. You've done a really good job at mostly eliminating your accent, but now you have to acquire a specific one. I'd recommend the general American, but just don't pick anything too crazy.

Warren Buffett has almost the most blandly American accent you'll find; it's so non-regional that it is regional.
>>
>>52091192
Yeah, I've been trying to acquire a specific accent for years now, but it's kind of difficult when you're constantly exposed to practically every accent under the sun. I hear people with German accents, Swiss accents, French accents and other accents every day. Then I watch American movies and series, but the people there also have a huge variety of accents. I guess I really would have to start imitating a specific person to acquire a regional accent or simply live somewhere in the US for a few months as some of you have suggested. Well, but I guess my accent is good enough for the moment. Again, thanks for all the feedback.
>>
>>52083305
>belarus
>rare
>>
>>52084369
Fuck, man
You sound very american/canadian
Just the word
>accent
Sounds very british
>>
It only helps you understand some grammar stuff, if you speak English. However, if you don't, it's useless then since you probably won't learn much.
>>
>>52092146

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, your accent is fantastic. It doesn't sound like you're from anywhere in particular, but it sounds like you're from somewhere. If you went to Arizona and told everyone that you're from Pennsylvania, a lot of them would accept it without thinking. I'm just being hyper-specific, but you've really done a great job.
>>
r8 accent just reading posts from thread

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0fmBqeRJH5h
>>
English education in our country
→shit.
>>
>>52095412
you're a bit slow
maybe its because you're reading something in your 2nd language
try just saying something random
>>
>>52096468
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0WJGQgz1MM5
>>
>>52096026
Japanbro let us hear your engrish desu.
>>
>>52097026
pretty good
slight accent but you could easily pass as an american in anonymous voicechats
>>
>>52079089
Why is my little pony so popular in belarus? its incomprehensible
>>
>>52083832
>That's what I'm aiming for

To be laughed at for having an American accent?
>>
>>52077579
There are a lot of bi lingual schools, but the average argentine knows jack shit about english.

The worst part are the ones that 'know how to speak english thanks to videogames/movies'
>>
>>52082412
is that supposed to say 最好的?
>>
>>52083452
最 zuì-most
>>
>>52077579
it helped me learn the difference between present perfect and past simple. for the rest i believe i was grown into it. internet and films and all. then again i didnt study english in school - i went on a 3 month course one where i learned that exact difference and then in the university i went on a preparatory course for a CPE
>>
>>52083811
i think i get this. like beach and bitch, sheet and shit and so on.
>>
>>52098237
So everyone on 4chan?
>>
File: Jetix.png (36 KB, 350x223) Image search: [Google]
Jetix.png
36 KB, 350x223
>>52077579
Thank you Fox kids/Jetix for putting me on the path to English
>>
>>52079674
Growing up in a country where there is immediate and easy access to all kinds of English media tends to make you more fluent in said language, Fritz.
Why is it that the French, Germans and Spics generally can't speak English nearly as well as the Dutch or Scandinavians? Not because they're dumb lazy pieces of shit but because we're exposed to English from a very young age.
>>
Worse than any other country, I'm sure

If it was for school our english level would be worse than french one, but we like to listen english music and talk in english in the net and we improve our low ass english a bit
>>
>>52099183
>>52099412
Is that 中国是最子的国家?
>>
Pretty mediocre to be honest. At least in public schools, even if they require you to have "B2 level Efficiency" to graduate, they really just lie to themselves. Private schools have a decent level, but by the time I entered one, I was already fluent in it.

Sadly, Mexico is a very monolingual country. Having a third language is like having a 30cm dick.

I'm not saying all mexicans are the same though, usually, those who do care about language learning have a great repertoire in their brains.
>>
>>52082842
this is true

>>52102188
isn't this channel russian? fox kids changed to jetix ad 11 pm when I was a child
>>
>>52078656
Basically this, but it's really good actually when compared to other countries.
>>
In France, our teachers really suck.
When we finish high school, most of the student can't even hold a simple conversation in english. All I know I learned alone with movies and books I bought

Check this out : http://www.thelocal.fr/20141112/france-has-lowest-english-proficiency-in-eu
>>
>>52103636
>Report says Japanese people are more proficient in English than French
Sorry but no, unless speaking isn't considered as an important skill there's no way I'm gonna believe this.
>>
>>52103826
than French people* my bad
>>
Worthless bullshit.
Teachers here give the same contents every year, from third grade until fucking high school.
No pronunciation training, only REALLY basic grammar, like "to be" verb.
I really learned english by shitposting here and playing vidya, then attending to a conversation course.
>>
>>52103420
Wasn't it Romanian or something?
>>
>>52077579
I learnt enough of the basics in primary school to read and play games just fine. Then it was all about building vocabulary through usage. The secondary school classes were too exam-focused and rather useless, though.

>>52082412
>>52102810
中國是最7的國家
>>
>>52077579
shit 2bh
>>
>>52077579
Worthless, unless your career has English 3+ all you'll ever see is the conjugation of the verb "To Be" since you're 8 until 18+. Never tried private institutions tho, they should be better because they're usually associated to UK, Straya or America's embassies.
>>
Heh, it could have, but i decided to follow a less complicated path. Internet is better than any other ressouce, excluding going into an english country
>>
File: american cumbucket.jpg (97 KB, 640x960) Image search: [Google]
american cumbucket.jpg
97 KB, 640x960
Native Speakers did allright.
English speakers were forcibly immersed and were never taught English. They all did terribly academic.
Even the ones that were given some token lessons one hour a week.

Fucking shitskins.
>>
>>52110141
non-English speakers were immersed*

and it failed.
Unless they were the children of rich Indian expats and got private tutoring.
Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.