[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This thread is for discussing languages, what you are learning,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1
File: 1443079589924.png (10 KB, 800x500) Image search: [Google]
1443079589924.png
10 KB, 800x500
This thread is for discussing languages, what you are learning, asking other anons, etc. Is Finnish a difficult language? I want to learn it. What kind of support can I use to study Finnish?
>>
Fuck you all faggots
>>
>>52073260
Its hard af and even if you moved here, you'd never become as fluent in it as natives. Sad but true.
>>
>>52073809
Thanks
>>
>>52073260
They don't fit each other!
>>
>>52073809

speaking maybe but there's a brazilian who self-studied into pretty much fluent written finnish
>>
>>52074461
The Swedish flag's « bars » are larger than the Finnish's.
>>
>>52074461
The cross in flag of Denmark is even thinner than sweden's
>>
>>52074624
No, sorry, it's au contraire.
>>
>>52074609
Do you know any resource to learn Finnish? I really want to. And I have heard Finnish words are pronounced exactly as they are written, so why ie it hard ?
>>
>>52074746
conjugations and noun cases mainly, that's where people usually fuck up

http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/~fkarlsso/genkau2.html
http://koti.mbnet.fi/henrihe/tiede/verbikaava.html
>>
>>52074624
>>52074678
BIG
FINNISH
CROSS
>>
>>52074840
Arw there many cases on it?
>>
>>52074894
check the links, or what do you mean?
>>
I don't know if some Finns here actually buy into the "Finnish is difficult" meme or if they just enjoy making foreigners think that, but it's not really true. It's definitely different from indo-euro languages so if those are what you're used to, it'll take a bit of work. But it's not inherently difficult.

The grammar is very logical with few exceptions. The stuff that gets posted here like >>52074840 only demonstrates how flexible the language is, not how complex it is to learn.
>>
>>52074942
Are there many noun cases on Finnish, and how are the verbs inflected? What is it with those long words?
>>
>>52075062
>Are there many noun cases on Finnish
check the first link
>and how are the verbs inflected
and the second one
>>
>>52075059
>only demonstrates how flexible the language is, not how complex it is to learn.
that's a shitton to learn and definitely makes learning more complex, or why do people fuck them up so often?
>>
>>52075138
Finnish grammar is way easier than German or French for sure.
>>
>>52075090
Thanks fäm. How Finns react to tourists and strangers, even if I knew the language?
>>
>>52075059
It all about how fluent you want to sound, speaking "kebab-place owner" finnish isn't that hard, and everyone understands you even though your grammar is totally shit. But learning all the conjugation rules takes forever, and one might not ever fully learn them.
>>
>>52075188
By avoiding them.
>>
>>52075062
>What is it with those long words?

It's called agglutination, lots of languages do it, although indo-europeans don't
>>
>>52075188
we're friendly towards foreigners, but not in a sweden yes way
but we avoid strangers
>>
>>52075188
If you look foreigner people will talk English to you
>>
>>52075275
>although indo-europeans don't

*or if they do, it's usually nouns only, like in german, what makes finnish difficult is agglutinating cases, most finns couldn't probably describe the rules if asked
>>
>>52075240
>>52075275
>>52075303
>>52075338
Thanks

Do Finnish people usually have problem with your language?
>>
>>52075511
Some special ones do with the written standard
>>
>>52075511
>Do Finnish people usually have problem with your language?

You could list dozens of small things that confuse people. Usually the difference is one letter only.
>>
>>52075626
>>52075688
Is it weird to use only one third person pronoun for both genders?
>>
>>52075853
It's weird having to pick one when speaking English.
>>
Mina olen opiskellut suomia nyt 6 kuukausia. Se on todella vaikea kieli.
>>
>>52075898
suomea* kuukautta*.
>>
>>52075898
Minä*
>>
>>52074624
>>52074676
>The Finnish flag's « bars » are larger than the Swedish's.
>The cross in flag of Denmark is even thinner than sweden's

Swedish and Dannish say "Finnish bar is too big to join".
>>
>>52075931
Why is it "kuukautta"? It's supposed to be plural, monthS. Doesn't -tta ending mean "without something"?
>>
Just speak English and everyone will understand you in both countries and switch to it as if they were natives.

I doubt you can pronounce long Finnish words anyways, it's different from Portuguese monkey clicks.
>>
>>52076129
Daddy forgot to molest you today? Is this why you so sour?
>>
>>52076106
I guess it's partitive, don't ask why
>>
>>52076106
Kuukausia could be used in a sentence like "se kesti kuukausia" "It lasted for months".
>>
>>52076106
-tta can mean "without something"(juomatta -> "without drinking") but not in this context, it's because it's the partitive form for kuukausi and when you say "6 months" it's answering to the question "how many months?". So you need partitive.
>>
>>52076106

In this context "without month" would be "kuukaudetta"
>>
>>52075853

It's not, besides "it" is used quite commonly to refer to pretty much everything. For example, in English people always say "he/she came to town" in Finnish it would quite often be "it came to town"
>>
>>52076464
>>52076106

And in plural it would be "kuukausitta", which is probably a bit clearer to you.
>>
Also "kuukausia" is the partitive plural form. But you don't use that in that context. It's when you don't have any specific answer.

I saw that years ago -> Näin sen vuosia sitten
I saw that 12 years ago - > Näin sen 12 vuotta sitten
>>
>>52075853

When there's only one word you'll notice that there's always a contextual clue to reveal gender. It simply isn't an issue.

The only confusion I can think of is a rare, foreign unisex name like Hilary, but that couldn't last long either.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.