[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Global language is broken
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: kurwa_please.png (7 KB, 418x150) Image search: [Google]
kurwa_please.png
7 KB, 418x150
Why do Anglos pronounce "Europe" as "Yurop"? Why is the Greek digraph "Eu" pronounced as "yu" of all fucking sounds?
>>
File: 1447745592125.jpg (30 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1447745592125.jpg
30 KB, 500x375
bump you lousy maggots
this is /int/-related and not a yellow face with a shit text about australians for a change
>>
My theory is those barbarians didn't know how to pronounce it when they first read the classics :>
>>
>>52029104
Well, in original Greek (by this I mean the one from which the word was borrowed) that was simply two vowels e+u, right? In modern Greek it's "ev", if I'm not mistaken?
>>
It's still written eu (ευρώπη). It's written like that in english too. That reminds me of the irony that my name Michael is written more properly in English than in modern Greek (Michalis) but pronounced wrongly there (Michael instead of "Mee-cha-eel").
>>
>>52028773

Because there was a vocal shift in the English language. One might imagine the sound drifted from an "eu" towards an "iioo", and from that the two vocals merged into one.
>>
>>52029104
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iotacism
>In Modern Greek the letters and digraphs "ι", "η", "υ", "ει", "οι", "ηι", "υι" are all pronounced "i", [i].
dont you be talking shit
>>
>>52028773
From Greek to Latin, no problems.
From Latin to French, no problems.
From French to English...
It's the same problem you can see with people pronouncing the letter "Þ" as if it were a "Y"
"þe olde shoppe" =/= "Ye olde shoppe"
>>
>>52029317
Greek is not the global language.

>>52029356
So it came from Greek to English via Latin and French?
Well, Latin has a pretty simple pronunciation, but could it be the French language that fucked it up?

>>52029299
If that "e" was more like [e] instead of [ɛ] we have in Polish, then I admit, this is actually quite logical.
>>
>>52029317

υ is not pronounced ee when it's after an ε. It's pronounced ef.
>>
>>52029669

I mean both of them are pronounces like that. Hence the word europe, ευρώπη, is pronounced Evropee.
>>
>>52028773

and why is Europe = Yurop, but Europa = Auropa eh?
>>
>>52029725
Yeah, which explains how Russians pronounce it, but we in the west were borrowing these words from Latin, from classical Greek I think.

Back then it was simply Europe, literally as written, instead of Yurop or Evropee.

This triggers my autism. I wish someone fixed English spelling.
>>52029821
Europa is Europa, not Auropa. It's pronounce with E followed by U. Literally [ɛu]. Avrupa is how Turks pronounce it, I think.
>>
>>52029821

Because the words are stressed differently. I can't speak for Norwegian, but in Swedish we pronounce the eu in "Europa" like "eu", but like "ev" in "Euro".
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.