[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post a word in your language with no English translation, then
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7
File: image.png (1 MB, 759x2305) Image search: [Google]
image.png
1 MB, 759x2305
Post a word in your language with no English translation, then explain its meaning.
>>
דווקא
it can be Actually, in spite, Specifically, rather
but there is no one word translation
>>
Goo-nats-Za. It's Romani.

It's basically the relationship between a son/daughter's father and mother, and their father in law and mother law.

In English you would say "my son's father/mother in law"

In Romani you would say "moogo Goo-nats-Za"
>>
meh, every local slang here has an english equivalent

boring
>>
saudade

the feeling of missing someone
>>
Bix nood.
>>
>>51940362
Nanar

A movie so shit it's funny to watch. Usually for old sci-fi movies
>>
File: cafuné.gif (530 KB, 500x212) Image search: [Google]
cafuné.gif
530 KB, 500x212
Cafuné. The act of tenderly running your fingers through someone's hair and scalp with a scratching motion as a display of affection.
>>
>>51941264
saudade não é só de outrém

i have one:
desenrascar

while it does have a literal translation, it's not correct to what it means
it basically means "to macgyver yourself out of a situation"
>>
>>51941021
are you a gypsy?
>>
>>51941104

manjar o dulce de leche has to be translated as is because there is no equivalent english word

empanada as well
>>
Not a word but an expression "mal du pays"
Basically when you're not in your home (region/country or whatever scale you want) and you miss it.
>>
kurva
it means a woman who gets paid to have sex
>>
>>51946106
We have the same: Heimweh
>>
>>51946106
You mean homesick?
>>
>>51946106
homesick is the English word
>>
Mamalón. While it is Puerto Rican slang, it's still a Spanish word meaning "cocksucker."
>>
>>51947114
And yes, I know it has English translation. Just read that now. Fuck me.
>>
>>51945788
The word is 'improvise' Alberto.
>>
>>51946106
"Homesick" can kinda translate that, but a related word that absolutely doesn't exist in English is "dépayser".

In construction, it's pretty much "to de-country-fy", but it conveys the meaning of making you feel like you are somewhere else, experiencing something different.

The most obvious use would be when traveling somewhere else, the feeling you get from just not being in a country you're familiar with is "dépaysement". But it can also be applied while still within your country, or in general in a more metaphorical manner - as long as it makes you feel not at home, but in a positive way.
>>
Griftefrid = peace of the grave/dead

If you murder someone it's a crime against griftefriden to move the body.
>>
Хyeплeт. Literally "dickweaver". Means a pathological liar.
>>
"gewieft"

a word from an old dialect that was spoken mostly by criminals, that has been assimilated in modern everyday language

if someone is "gewieft", he is smart in a mostly illegal, criminal way. sometimes used for people who are good at playing tricks on other folks
>>
Hyggelig
When a situation, usually, but not always, with others, feel nice, good, cozy, whatever
It's kinda hard to explain
>>
>>51947401
But there is an added dimension, Marcello. It implies a certain kind of innovation in improvisation, which by itself would suggest a slapdash effort.
>>
Wow, actually a good thread. Is that you, /int/?
>>
>>51953427
p rare tbqh
>>
Basically our convoluted family terms. Even we can't get them straight. What's worse is that a lot of them change based on dialect and region. There's also some pretty obscure ones that don't get used at all anymore and can actually change based on age.
>>
Pretty much all the terminology regarding sauna
Löyly, kiuas and vihta come to mind.
>>
>>51953427
virgin xDDdd
>>
3ajem
The most horrible disgusting thing on the planet. The best way to describe it is Iranian
>>
>>51946106
there's also
"L'appel du vide"
it's that strange urge to jump when you're really high up, while at the same time knowing that's insane.
>>
boh
i don't know, i can't believe, i'm not sure, etc.
>>
>>51940362
Japs truly have shit taste
>>
>>51950104
slang terms like macgyvering (as OP said) or jerry-rigging work pretty well. They imply that something was improvised in a haphazard way.
>>
>>51947458
That's a specific variety of taboo. You would just say it's taboo in English.

Over here the Polynesians, both Maori and the immigrants we get, place a lot of importance on gravesites. There have been legal battles between Maori families over where the resting place of famous Maoris should be.
>>
>>51941264
Enough with this meme

Estou com saudade de X = I miss X
>>
>>51945988
But brits have cornish pasties and french have dulce de leite 2
>>
Sananvapaus
It's when you have the enforced right not to get sued, arrested or assaulted for having a differing or controversial opinion on any topic, in public.

It very briefly existed in the early 90s. Then people talked about things that matter.
>>
>>51941021
You people are everywhere. Do you read palms n shit?
>>
File: 1445730753655.png (160 KB, 450x433) Image search: [Google]
1445730753655.png
160 KB, 450x433
>>51954301
>the right not to get sued, assaulted, or arrested for speaking your mind

>having a word for this instead of a right
>>
File: prince.png (712 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
prince.png
712 KB, 500x667
>>51940362
Are there any English words that have no foreign equivalent?
>>
>>51954255
Exactly, you fucking idiot, there is no word for that feeling, it doesn't mean you can't express it. How fucking stupid are you, you fucking cumrag? Did you seriously think that guy didn't know the verb "missing"?
>>
tabernak

it literally means the tabernacle of a church, but it's normally used as the French Canadian version of fuck
>>
>>51940362

"Reem"

It is a word with no known English translation.
>>
>>51954979
It always bothered me how there is no totally accurate translation of "doom" to Portuguese.
The closest we get is "destino", and other similar words, which only mean destiny.
>>
>>51955117
Miss = saudade
Same shit, you're adopted
>>
>>51949080
It's not specifically a situation/setting either.
You can say or do something hyggelig as well.

But it's just like you wrote, it's something that can be all of it at the same time, or just some of it.
It's generally just a good thing.

There is one word that most germanic languages have, which is skadefryd.
It's the joy of seeing someone else get hurt, or get in a bad situation.
>>
>>51955254
Eu saudade você, é?
Miss é um verbo, saudade é um substantivo sem nenhuma tradução pro inglês.
"I miss you" significa "eu sinto sua falta", mas pra eles a saudade não é uma emoção que tenha um nome. É exatamente esse tipo de coisa que o tópico está pedindo, e é isso que as pessoas querem dizer quando dizem que não há tradução pra saudade. Para de tentar pagar de esperto só porque você acha que sabe mais inglês que seus amiguinhos na escola.
>>
"te la mamaste"
it would literally mean "you sucked your own dick" but it's a slang used when you do something over the top, or exagerated, regardless if it's good or bad.
>>
>>51940362
Utepils
The literal meaning is "outside beer" a beer that's being consumed out in the open, but there's more to this word.
This word describes going out with friends to a bar, cafe, or restaurant to sit out in their open area to enjoy a beer with your friends talking shit during a hot sunny day during the summer.
>>
>>51940362
I guess some diminutives just get lost in translation. Like saying "ahorita", "ratito"; they come from "now/right now" and "in a while", but as diminutives become faster. They're basically a faster right now and in a closer while
Also, I guess "Te quiero" can't be exactly translated either. In english, the closest thing to it is "I love you", but telling someone "te quiero" isn't the same as telling them "te amo"; "te quiero" is like an "I love you, platonically".
>>
Affenzahn
Literal translation would be "Monkeys tooth" but can be uses as a slang adjective to describe something really fast - the word "Zahn" (tooth) also can be used on its own for "Speed" as in "Leg einen Zahn zu" ( increase a tooth! / go faster)
>>
>>51955748
Dogn

The word "Day" and "Night" describes specific times during the day in Norwegian, so we have a third word which describes 24 hours.

When a gas station is "Nattåpent= Open at night" it could close at 3AM and open again 7AM, but if it's "Dognåpent", it's open 24/7.
>>
itadakimasu

greeting for before eating a meal.
and also thanks to chef, god, animal / plant life.
>>
desu (standard)
dosu (Kyoto dialect)
degozaru (samurai)

can't explain. there are no meaning.
>>
>>51956197
But why?
Does it help convey a certain personality?
Does it help understand the mood of the speaker?

From what I understand you have more of these words with no meaning at the end of a sentence.
>>
>>51955479
REKT
>>
Do you have any words for vorspiel and nachspiel?
In Norwegian vorspiel means when you meet people at home to get drunk before you go out to get drunk (saves money), and nachspiel is after you've been out to get drunk and come back home.

The problem with answering questions like this is that there are many parts of the English language I know nothing about, so it limits the areas of day to day life I am able to discover anything.

>>51956157
rub a dub dub thanks for the grub
>>
pisdariki
a bad situation
>>
>>51956010
Uting

It's something that's to some degree are socially unacceptable or a more fitting; frowned upon.
Things like eating with a open mouth making a lot of noises while eating, talking in your phone on public transport, continually interrupting someone else talking.
Generally shitty things people do: Uting
>>
>>51956197
What would happen if I would address myself as "あたし" on my trip to Japan (I am 187cm 100kg)
How confused would the people be?
>>
>>51940362
Duende.
It's like a Leprechaun, but it's not.
>>
Kanker

it means kanker
>>
>>51956824
ja kanker..
>>
File: last ned.jpg (7 KB, 251x201) Image search: [Google]
last ned.jpg
7 KB, 251x201
>>51956406
It can be translated roughtly to "it is" roughly, but not really.
Using desu indicates a level of politeness more than anything.
You'd for instance use it when talking to your superior or your seniors in school/uni.

You should know this 2bh, you're on an anime website after all.
>>
>>51949080
gezellig
>>
File: file.png (20 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
file.png
20 KB, 500x500
>>51956010
Dǿgn*
The retarded Ǿ censorship strikes again.
>>
>>51949080
>>51956938
shit it's almost exactly the same..
>>
>>51955276
ours is leedvermaak
>>
>>51956923
Thanks for telling me but

>You should know this 2bh, you're on an anime website after all.

I'm mostly here to shitpost on /k/ and watch the insanity over at /pol/ and /tv/
>>
>>51956489
Vorspiel = Pre-drinks or pre-drinking. A bit strange considering that while you are pre-drinking you are, in fact, drinking.
Nachspiel = Many, many things: Pissed, Bladdered, Shit-faced, Rat-arsed, Fucked, Steaming and of course, Drunk. There's bound to be a lot more, really.
>>
uitwaaien
>>
natafelen and carbidschieten
>>
"cheeky"

there is no American English equivalent
>>
>besto

x1 dons metaphorical asbestos suit x2 to guard against flames x3 on topic x4 from x5, who disagrees with post x6 for reason x7, not realizing that the post was meant to be sent to x8 rather than all of mailing list x9 (default jboste) where it was posted in response to email
x10, whose author wishes selma'o x11 (default SE) were extended to concisely express place x12 of brivla x13 (default Besto) which has place structure x14 and too many places because of sadistic whim x15 of brivla-maker x16, who also created brivla x17 which has place structure x18, and so winds up using too many of cmavo x19 (default zi'o) in order to make the brivla ( x13) more usable by standard x20 and wishes they had never heard of the word besto for reason x21, not realizing for reason x22 that it was suggested sarcastically due to boredom x23 of person x24, who is proposing it against better judgement x25 because it is fun by standard x26, but still wishes it had as many places as x27 (default du) for reason x28, and feels like throwing in epistemology sumti x29, because he/she knows both that gismu x30 (default besto) has its place structure defined by run-on sentence x31 and that epistemology sumti are used in gismu x32 by epistemology x33, notwithstanding the fact that x34 actually has a use for besto places x35 (default 1) through x36 (default x7) and wishes this weren't an extremely long and stupid joke, longer than joke x37 and stupider than joke x38 but still appreciated by x39 - a fact which says x40 about them in the opinion of x41 - but not seen as even remotely amusing by x42, who is aware that x43 has a use for the gismu besto because of x45
>>
>>51957275
Rascally?
>>
>>51940362
Avanto - a hole in the ice meant for swimming
Kiuas - the heating element (kind of like a stove) in a sauna that you throw water on
Löyly - the steam that comes from throwing on the kiuas
Myötähäpeä - shame you feel on someone elses behalf, like if someone is trying to be funny but they fail miserably
Ole hyvä - used in the same sense as please, but literally means "be good" ("be good and pass me the salt"), and is slightly more commanding in tone than please which is more begging in comparison
We have lots of different words for snow that don't exist in English but probably exist in eskimo etc. languages.
Then there are several words that can be translated into english but not as a single word, for example "ehtiä" means "to have time (for something)".
There's probably more but I can't think of any right now
>>
tyan - a girl
>>
>>51957126
Nachspiel are like a after-party.
The bars and clubs are closing for the night but you invite people home to you, or join someone else to continue the party.
>>
"Kokoro" in Japanese

it can mean "heart; mind; mentality; emotions; feelings"
>>
>>51957528
We have etkot and jatkot which are literally same thing as yours
>>
>>51957369
no one would ever say that though. it's amazing how there's a word that's so common in English but there's no American word for it
>>
>>51957589
We just use the word cheeky. Your local culture =/= the culture of the entire country.
>>
>>51957909
where in the US do people say "cheeky" without trying to sound British?
>>
>>51954979

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/missing_words_french.shtml

Also, for everyone else -- I'm sure a word could be found in the English language to convey all of the concepts mentioned in this thread if you look hard enough.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.