[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Athens had no culture before contact with Egypt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
>According to Herodotus (ii. 154), king Psammetichus I (664–610 BC) established a garrison of foreign mercenaries at Daphnae, mostly Carians and Ionian Greeks.

>Athens was established in 630BC
>Greeks suddenly had technology to build large temples, human sized figurines (as opposed to miniatures) around the same time

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timeline_of_Athens

Western culture btfo. I'm not even black.
>>
Nigga you high, Greeks took it all from Minos on Crete when they sacked it
>>
Egyptians were white though.
>>
The Mediterranean was more or less viewed as single cultural sphere back then, the separation of it into Europe, Africa, and Asia only comes about after the fall of the Roman Empire.
>>
>Culture and technology are continuous and shared across nations

BAZINGA
>>
we wuz kings n shyt
>>
>>51912209
Haha he has a benis :DDD
>>
>>51912385
What happens if benis falls off?
>>
>>51912407
it would be bery painful :DDDDDDD
>>
>>51912427
for you :DDDDDDDDDDD
>>
File: benis.png (256 KB, 644x594) Image search: [Google]
benis.png
256 KB, 644x594
>>51912407
>>51912427
>>51912438
Remobe Benis
>>
>>51912312
proof?
>>
File: kuroi.jpg (3 MB, 2592x3888) Image search: [Google]
kuroi.jpg
3 MB, 2592x3888
Early Greeks were heavily inspired by their neighbors too the East and South. But as an anon has already said culture exchange was common.

Yet the Greeks eventually developed their own style that the Renaissance would imitate.

You could have picked a more obvious picture too OP.
>>51912238
>he thinks the Mycenaean were the Classical Greeks
>>
>>51912312
>the separation of it into Europe, Africa, and Asia only comes about after the fall of the Roman Empire.
lula and lulz
>>
>>51912209
>>According to Herodotus
And that's where I stopped
>>
>>51912490
Y? I demand an answer.
>>
>>51912312

It was only practical. Greeks, Phoenecians, islanders, Egyptians, other N. Africans, and then the Italian states and sicily. The sea was relatively calm and boat travel was the quickest way to move goods and people around. It was like one big highway sitting there, warm and livable, it's the natural place for cultural centers to arise and share.
>>
>>51912472
Herodotus. Plato. Xenophon. Really any Greek or Roman writer. The generally divide the world into three cultures: Barbarian areas like Germania and Celts, the Mediterranian civilizations , and Oriental civilizations such as Persia. The Greeks believed that many Egyptian cultural practices were simply weirder and older versions of their own, in contrast to say, Persian culture which was seen as completely foreign.

>>51912485
I meant into separate cultural spheres, smartass. Of course the names "Africa" and "Asia" are Latin in origin.
>>
>>51912523
Herodotus isn't exactly easy to verify m8. His histories are either anecdotal or possibly on occasion even made up. It's great stuff to read, but you'd be stupid to not question the source.
>>
>>51912671
>Herodotus isn't exactly easy to verify m8. His histories are either anecdotal or possibly on occasion even made up. It's great stuff to read, but you'd be stupid to not question the source.

Psammetichus was two generations detached from Herodotus, idiot. It wasn't ancient history.
>>
>>51912473
>You could have picked a more obvious picture too OP.

it's already obvious with the left foot stance.
>>
>>51912209
>athens started ancient greece
poor b8
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.