[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does your country's name means?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5
File: Meshico - Texcoco.png (270 KB, 1219x480) Image search: [Google]
Meshico - Texcoco.png
270 KB, 1219x480
Albeit the exact etymology remains unclear, one of the more acknowledged theories is that Mexico is composed by the words moon (mex-tli), navel (xic-tli) and the locative 'co'.
The name alluded to the rabbit resemblance shared by the surface of the moon and the shape of the Texcoco lake, where the aztecs founded their capital.
>>
florida means the land of flowers
uruguay also has a florida
>>
>>51899340
Literally flatlands
>>
>>51899340
>The name of Argentina is ultimately derived from the Latin argentum "silver" and the feminine of the adjectival suffix -īnus.

Some dumb conquistador thought there was silver in Argentina.
>>
>>51900444
Is that also the origin of Rio de la Plata?
>>
>>51899340

Warm Port
>>
>>51901729
Quite curious considering that Brazil means ember.
>>
File: etymology-map.jpg (689 KB, 4500x2234) Image search: [Google]
etymology-map.jpg
689 KB, 4500x2234
Could anyone confirm?
>>
>>51899340
Rabbitland, but it's a theory.
>>
Polska is an adjective form of the word 'pole' meaning field. That's because our country is quite flat.
>>
File: 1446704036757.jpg (57 KB, 978x554) Image search: [Google]
1446704036757.jpg
57 KB, 978x554
Nothing. No one knows for sure.
>>
>Be states
>Also be in America
>Get United
That's as far as I could get to cracking the mystery
>>
A spanish bastard king.
>>
Azerbaijan - Fire worshipers
Baku(capital) - City of winds.
>>
>>51899340
America means "The Lord's most favored Land" in Aramaic.
>>
>>51899340
etymologists also can't agree if it's "Para-gua-y" (river that comes from a sea, in alusion to the Pantanal region), "Para-ruguai" (sea's tail), "Payagua-y" (river of the Payagua tribe, who ruled the zone), or "Para-gua'a-y" (river of the crown, in alusion at the multiple parrot feathers that compose a crown)
the important is that "y" means river, hence Paraguay and Uruguay. too bad there's no Paranay

>>51901664
indeed

>>51902886
it's shit. delet that
>>
>>51903204
hehehehehe
>>
>>51903158
Just one thing missing: North and South America were named after Amerigo Vespucci
>>
>>51907706
>Amerigo Vespucci
>a fucking pickle-dealer
>>
>>51899340
In Newari langauge, Nepa means 'in the middle' or something. In Sanskrit, Nipalaya means 'at the foot of the mountains' and in Tibetan, Niyampal means 'holy land'.

>>51902886
Not exactly true for Nepal.
>>
a tree used to extract red tint for clothes
>>
Literally just Kingdom/Realm of the Swedes.
>>
>>51907847
R A R E
A
R
E
>>
>>51907706
The American continent was named America after Americo Vespucio.
Later came the North/South division of the continent.
An finally the united statians named themselves as America
>>
>>51907279
>Fire worshipers
That's haram desu.
>>
>>51908081
Should've gotten to the name sooner, loser
We are THE America.
>>
>>51899482
The US also have a Montenvideo
>>
yamato = great harmony
nippon = land of rising sun
>>
>>51908115
One of Azerbaijan's earliest ancestors, Albania(No relations to the current Albania) were Zoroastrianists(Litteraly translated to Fire Worshiper).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoroastrianism
>>
>>51908157
but we got it first, before there were the United States of America the continent was already named America.
>>
>>51899340
ni-can-atl-hua ('water owners here' or 'where there are two large water tanks').
nic-atl-nahuac (meaning 'here by the water')
>>
Thename Australiaderives from Latin australismeaningsouthern, and dates back to 2nd century legends of an "unknown southern land" (that is terra australis incognita). The explorer Matthew Flinders named the land Terra Australis, which was later abbreviated to the current form.

t. Google
>>
>>51908256
There is no such thing as a continent called America.
>>
Australia was originally known as New Holland but the British didn't like that very much so they started calling the continent Terra Australis (from the concept of Terra Australis Incognita, the unknown southern land). This became "Australia"

Then federation happened and the colonies on the Australian mainland and Tasmania federated to form "The Commonwealth of Australia". No one is quite sure if Commonwealth means union as in the "Polish-Lithuania Commonwealth" or one of the founders was trying to imply some cheeky Republicanism (which was rather popular around the turn of the century).
>>
>>51908462
>>51908520
No one cares Bruce.
>>
>>51908493
>you
>\ | /
>dumb shit
>>
>>51908558
this is a bully free zone
>>
>>51908587
There isn't.

The only people who think so is sudacas and if you were intelligent enough to be commenting on such things you wouldn't be living in mudhuts and shitting in the jungle.
>>
>>51908635
Please, just google "Continents".
>>
>>51908764
I did.

There doesn't seem to be any continent named "America."
>>
>>51908558
Well yeah no shit, who bothers to read other people's replies in these threads?

Thanks for the attention f.a.m.
>>
It means ember...ly. Or ember-ish... ember-y... it can't really be translated. Though most of us don't even know the meaning, when explained they will get it quickly. It's kind of an odd word, we don't really use the -il suffix anymore.
>>
Do not know what does "Republic of China" mean

>want to wake Sun Yat-Sen up
>>
>>51908764

dont reason with an american he will drag you down to his level and beat you with his experience
>>
USA
A is America
America comes from the explorer named Amerigo, based off the Latin form of his name "Americus"
"Americus" means "Industrious Leader"
>>
>>51908902
>>51908902
I forgot to mention America (in general) ends in an A rather than the US because the feminine Nominative form ends in -a for the declension his Latin name was in, which I think was the 1st declension
>>
>>51908902
Amerigo
Italian
Etymology: An early byform of Enrico.

Enrico
Italian
Etymology: A male given name, cognate to English Henry.

Henry
English
Etymology: Old French (and Anglo-Norman) Henri, from Germanic heim (“home”) + rihhi (“ruler”).
>>
The stilt houses in the area of Lake Maracaibo reminded the navigator, Amerigo Vespucci, of the city of Venice, so he named the region Veneziola.[31] The name acquired its current spelling as a result of Spanish influence,[31] where the suffix -uela is used as a diminutive term (e.g., plaza / plazuela, cazo / cazuela); thus, the term's original sense would have been that of a "little Venice".[32]

However, Martín Fernández de Enciso, a member of the Vespucci and Ojeda crew, gave a different account. In his work Summa de geografía, he states that they found indigenous people who called themselves the Veneciuela. Thus, the name "Venezuela" may have evolved from the native word.[33]
>>
>>51908814
Like the Spanish 'braza'? Ah shit that makes sense
>>
>>51908635
>sudaca
chicano
>>
Argentum = Silver
>>
>>51909347
"Brasa" is just "ember". Brasil is... something else. It's an adjective. It means that something is "like" an ember; that it burns like an ember, or is red like an ember (thus the name "brazilwood", because the sap is bright red), or that it irradiates light like an ember, etc.. What it means depends on context, but it means something is "ember-like". It can't be translated into English.
>>
>>51909085

native langauges inject ambiguity and confusion to etimology
>>
>>51909562
I speak Spanish, I understand.
>>
>>51902886
Close its "Big Village"
>>
>>51908635
What's the logic between separating North and South America? They're obviously the same land mass. We can't even argue historical reasons as Europe/Asia here.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-12-10-04-04-53.png (324 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-10-04-04-53.png
324 KB, 1080x1920
>>51908797
>>
Brasil comes from Pau-Brasil ( Brazilwood). Brazilwood was the most important thing for the portuguese when they got here, iirc it was used to make their ships, so they named our country after > a fucking tree
The "original" name of our country is Pindorama, it's a Tupi word, but i don't remember what it means.
>>
>>51899340
River of the colourful birds
>>
>>51910195
>The "original" name of our country is Pindorama
[citation needed]
>>
>>51909878
>They're obviously the same land mass.
>implying

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panama_Canal

Fuck off spics.
>>
>>51910262
I'm on my phone so i can't give many sources, so just google it
Also i learned that in school m8, there even was a little song that went like "Pindorama, Pindorama, é o Brasil antes de Cabral..."
>>
File: george-lucas.jpg (2 MB, 3000x2000) Image search: [Google]
george-lucas.jpg
2 MB, 3000x2000
>>51908209
>>51899482

Poetry
>>
>>51910348
I seriously doubt there was any consensus between all the thousands of tribes that lived here on a single name for the entire landmass they inhabited.

I could accept that a couple of tribes which shared a language used that name, but all of them? Ridiculous. There was no single nation which could name the place before the tugas arrived.

However, we did have a name before Brasil, it was Terra de Santa Cruz. And "Ilha de Vera Cruz" before that, since they thought it was an island.
>>
>>51899340
I think it's "abundance of fish" or something related
>>
>>51910295

lol stupid retard that makes no sense
>>
Freedom.
>>
>>51910491
I didn't mean all tribes called it that m8 (Although it does make sense for all languages of the Tupi family to have a similar word for their land), and before the reforms of Marquês de Pombal, Tupi was the most spoken language in Brazil, even by whites, so that word probably was probably used in those times
>>
>>51910684
Also, i just searched for Pindorama on google and apparently it means Land of the Palm Trees in Tupi, so yeah it makes sense
>>
>>51909878
too big to fit in one map for the rest of the civilizations
odd because it fits very well in any spanish map
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.