[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to America >sit on the bus >"How do you do?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 1430137472905.jpg (65 KB, 899x899) Image search: [Google]
1430137472905.jpg
65 KB, 899x899
>go to America
>sit on the bus
>"How do you do?"

>go to grocery store
>at the cashier
>"Welcome to Walmart,How are do you do?"

>go to restaurant
>want to order some food
>"Welcome and How do you do?"

and the stupid thing is when I tell how I was doing with my job they look at me like weirdly.
>>
>>51863734
It means how are you doing, what part of the US did you go to? I never hear the phrase on the East Coast (I spend most of my time in Rhode Island (smallest state) or Jew York City for reference)
>>
>>51863734

I've never heard a single person say "how do you do?". They usually say "how are you?" Or something similar

Anyway when they ask, you're supposed to say "I'm good, how about you?" Then they respond and after that you go on your way. You're not usually supposed to say anything further unless they specifically ask.
>>
2 hi did you find everything is what they askk
3 hi how many

you have never been this is clear
>>
wtf why are you so antisocial
>>
>>51866427
Because he's a proxyfag
>>
mate you have to tip them when they say that, gets them to shut up
>>
>>51866427
Asian culture.

Honestly, how the fuck do you answer them?
>>
>>51866542
Just, don't.
Same thing with french "ca va" ou spanish "que tal".
Unless the tone is insisting/he stares you (that's what your siblings would do), this formula is like a "hello".
>>
hey pacific america

how's it going?
>>
>>51866542
"I'm good, how are you?"

That's it.
>>
>"How do you do"

Nobody says this.

Maybe really old men
>>
>go to goldshire
>sit at the inn
>keep your feet on the ground!

and the stupid thing is when I tell them I clearly am and they look at me blankly
>>
>>51863734
how did you even go to america ?

did you survive the water landing?
>>
>>51866806
What not just say "Hello" ?

Its more logical if you dont want extra answer.If you ask "How are you?" it would be nice to reply with my whole situation.What if I am not "fine"? should I say "I am fine"
>>
>>51863734
It's "how are you". Nobody asked you, how do you do.
>>
>>51868569
It's a meaingless cultural ritual. You don't actual tell the person how you are, just that you're well.
>>
>>51863734
sounds like bs to me
may be its east coast thing
in CA we say 'how's it going?'
>>
"how are you"
"i'm ok"
"what's wrong?"

what the fuck fatasses? how is "ok" not the default state for you? don't try to tell me you're ON TOP OF THE WORLD every day
>>
>>51869301
do non-anglos like, talk to people before they die or something?
or do they just go through their entire life without talking to anyone ?
>>
>>51869301
i always say "im good" desu
>>
>>51869346
if you say "i'm good" in finland you're expected to follow through with an explanation
>>
>>51869436
You mean if you say я хopoшo in Finland, right Ryssland?
>>
>>51869521
looks like you have a better grasp on the russian language than i do jamal
>>
>>51869562
>han bor i finland
I couldn't hear your over the rampant alcoholism, kven
>>
>>51869907
now you're mixing us with sweden but it's getting closer
>>
>>51869982
Har du svartsjukan?
Finska är ful
>>
File: 1252612491639.jpg (8 KB, 211x193) Image search: [Google]
1252612491639.jpg
8 KB, 211x193
When you say "How are you?", are you really interested in how the other person is doing/feeling? Or did it become just a social empty phrase?
>>
>>51870045
It depends on the context. From a close friend, you might expect a real answer, and you sometimes have to clarify that you actually want to hear how they're doing. With strangers, it is entirely a meaningless phrase. The answer is almost always "good," or for certain people, the answer is always "bad."
>>
>>51863734
https://youtu.be/l3o5zVnJeUI
>Why do americans always ask "How are you?", what does that mean?
>They're asking you about how well you are.
>Does every american want to know how am I doing?
>No, they don't want to.
>Then why do they ask?
>Just because. Almost everything except money here is just because.
>>
File: 001.jpg (43 KB, 680x310) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
43 KB, 680x310
>>51869301
This is you.
>>
[groans internally]
>>
>>51870045
The latter invariably. I know exactly how they are. Depending on the person they're either numb from alcohol and drug use and don't care that nothing noteworthy will ever happen. They will say something to the effect of "Ya know... not bad." Or they are devoid of aspiration, clinging on to a vain hope that one day something will fall into their lap giving them a reason to change their state of being from the complete apathy they feel in the face of a life of senseless labor which will only result in failure to adequately support themselves or their children. These people answer something to the effect of "Fine. And you?"
>>
>>51870997
Its not entirely useless.
If you are having a bad day you can respond in a more neutral way ("not too bad", "could be worse", etc) to indicate you shouldnt be harassed.
>>
File: image201512090001.jpg (22 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
image201512090001.jpg
22 KB, 640x480
I wear my pidgeon mask when i leave the house so nobody talks to me
>>
>>51872061
sorry but it seems like that picture is taken in september :^)
>>
>>51872106
That's when I last left the house?
>>
>>51869301
In burgerland the default and expected state of things is 'awesome'. Everything is and should be awesome until proven otherwise.

In Europe we have more melancholy and some misery is expected and even wanted.
>>
>>51869301
If you want to say you're okay but don't want people to think something is wrong say you're alright instead
>>
Why can't you anglos just say "hi" or "good morning/day" and drop the questions if you really don't even care how's someone doing?
>>
>>51863734

>how dare other cultures have different customs?
Why are /int/ posters all autists who are triggered by the existence of different cultures
>>
>>51872545

Sometimes people do. Sometimes they ask "how are you". Key is, just be polite and friendly. Smile, say "good, thanks, how are you?" Honestly sometimes it can be nice to make some small talk and friend with others.
>>
File: 1383864398314.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
1383864398314.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>be american
>engage in friendly conversation with stranger
>was a good day
>>
>>51872708
"good morning" is enough to be friendly
>>
>>51872595
You should already know that the answer is yes.
>>
File: panulla viiraa.jpg (50 KB, 515x329) Image search: [Google]
panulla viiraa.jpg
50 KB, 515x329
Finns are notorious for talking about weather as small talk if one HAS TO talk to strangers or acquaintances.
>>
>>51872595
>all culture is good
How's your dry numb circumcised dick doing?
>>
>>51872545
thats what you say to people you pass on the street, not something you say to people you are going to be interacting in even the slightest capacity with after the initial greeting
>>
File: 1349778971977.png (259 KB, 480x446) Image search: [Google]
1349778971977.png
259 KB, 480x446
>>51869301
If I'd be in 'Murica I'd just say "I'm HUUUGE" just for the expression.
>>
>>51863734
>meet gf's 'murrican family
>hey, how do you do?
>tfw I spen like 20 seconds silent, smiling trying to figure out what her uncle was asking me
>he cleans his throat and says "how are you?"
SHAME.
>>
>>51872872
>thats what you say to people you pass on the street
Wtf, why'd you say that to some total strangers? Where do you even say that? Surely not on busy streets, I hope
>not something you say to people you are going to be interacting in even the slightest capacity with after the initial greeting
So you don't say good morning to people you're going to interact with?
>>
>>51872545
>>51872768
>>51872971
Are all Finnish this autistic?
>>
>>51873007
Answer me
when Finns ask questions we actually want to know something
>>
>>51872971
>Wtf, why'd you say that to some total strangers? Where do you even say that? Surely not on busy streets, I hope

No not on a busy street. But if you are walking down a sidewalk or something and pass someone its polite to say 'good morning', or just 'morning'. If its morning anyway

>So you don't say good morning to people you're going to interact with?

No, you might open with "how are you this morning?"

Thats if you are really directly opening up a conversation, if not then, strangley, you might go "hi, how are you this morning", to sort of greet/aknowledge someone you are not expecting to have prolonged interaction with but might (sitting by someone on the bus for example)

There are plenty of people who just dont say anything and look at their phone or something though. Looking at your phone gets you out of all social interaction in america.

Just sitting there doing nothing though would be awkward if you didnt acknowledge the people near you in the ways described in this thread.
>>
File: 1430979720075.jpg (50 KB, 368x427) Image search: [Google]
1430979720075.jpg
50 KB, 368x427
>>51872840
>...
>....
>jo on ilmoja pielly vai kui?
>>
>>51873069
Why do you need to say something to some strangers?
>Just sitting there doing nothing though would be awkward if you didnt acknowledge the people near you in the ways described in this thread.
Of course you acknowledge them if you are with them
Just say hi/morning and do what you're there to do
If you're just hanging around then start talking about something
But smalltalk is fucking useless waste of everyone's time and those questions don't even mean anything anymore
>>
>>51872360
Burgers could use a nice war on their territory for a change, I bet they would change their oppinion on this matter.
>>
>>51870045
You can tell by the tone of voice.
>>
>>51869521
> я хopoшo
in case u care about the language and didn't google translate that:

"кaк дeлa" doesn't mean "how are you"; it means "how are things". So you'd answer with something like "вcё хopoшo".

If you want to say that you are good, which is unidiomatic in this case unless you're implying you're not evil, it's "я хopoший."
>>
>>51863734
They are bad colonials, Imperialbro.

Don't let them fool you. You are an enemy country - be alert, be suspicious of everyone, take no chances.

They have no free speech. They have no free press. They were brought up on straight propaganda. They have been trained to hate and destroy. Don't argue with them.

Don't try to change their point of view. You will not be friendly - you will be aloof. Don't clasp their hand, it is not the type of hand that you can clasp in friendship.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.