[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is France so terrible at speaking English? They have absolutely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6
File: France can't speak English.jpg (72 KB, 800x630) Image search: [Google]
France can't speak English.jpg
72 KB, 800x630
Why is France so terrible at speaking English? They have absolutely no reasons to considering they are a first world country and thus education should be up there, and English has so many words from French it gives them a much better base to work on compared to pretty much every other non-germanic languages.

French people have no reason to be worse at English than people who speak languages that are completely different grammatically like Finns.

Coming from Quebec I can say that the mother tongue has nothing to do with it as people here are generally much better at speaking English than French people, and the exposure to the language isn't even more common than for them (outside of Montreal anyway).

Explain.
>>
i blame niggers
>>
Ego is the only reason. And they have every right to not force English on their population
>>
>>51841122
>Parler anglois
Très peu pour moi
>>
>>51841122
no one really cares enough
if you speak english, good for you, if you don't no one will give a shit
>>
>Kaliningrad, Corsica, Sardinia and Sicily
>>
>>51841538
>>51841594

Why though?

Why be okay being an unilingual faggot when your language isn't even useful worldwide to the extent English is? It's doing yourself a disservice because being fluent in English (or merely decent) is necessary for a fuckton of jobs, and let not even talk about the usefulness of knowing English for traveling or media consumption.
>>
>>51841122
Because they're living in the past. They still think that France is an important country, and that their language has some semblance of relevance on the world stage.

So they don't bother learning English, like the rest of the world.
>>
>>51841755
>France
>not important

>t. generic cross-flag country
>>
>>51841755
only northern europe speaks good english mate
>>
>>51841122
Tfw belgium should be very high but the french speaking part fucks it up
>>
File: mask-ws-435-2.jpg (15 KB, 375x375) Image search: [Google]
mask-ws-435-2.jpg
15 KB, 375x375
>>51841122

>fluentugal
>>
>>51841122
>37

top kek
>>
>>51841749
Even in the Netherlands you dont need English for anything though. Let alone France.
>>
File: 0.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>italy
>moderate
>>
>>51841851
this 2bh
France is still an important country and French is still exclusively used in some international organisations
When Norway's oil runs out it will beg Sweden to annex them
>>
>>51841871
The french part fucks everything thing up for belgium desu
>>
>>51841749
ye this.

What speaking English gets you:
>speak the international language of commerce
>get around in tons of countries as a traveler since millions of others speak it
>lots of respect in politics/international relations for not having to use a translator like some faggot

What speaking French gets you:
>talk to French people (kek)
>talk to French Canadians (double kek)
>talk to French speaking africans and arabs (tippity top kek)

Great deal you got there frenchies.
>>
>>51841122
>spain
>not very low level

delet this
>>
>>51841967
I go to Spain, Portugal and Italy a lot and you guys barely speak English.
Amd even in Germany people often barely do.

But only in France people pretend not to understand you.
>>
>>51841951

I can't believe that to be true really.

Any job in tourism, or ANY job that involves communicating with people from other countries in any way shape or form should have Proficiency in English as a requirement.
>>
>>51842001
Fucking walloons, can't do anything right
>>
>>51842021
What speaking English gets you:
Listening to retarded American opinions that no one gives a shit about
>>
>>51842057
>job in tourism
We're not Greece.
>>
>>51841851
On the world stage France is a very small player. At least compared to the big ten. It might be more important than Norway, but that's not really saying much. It's like saying you can run faster than a paraplegic man. Congratulations, I guess.

>>51841855
Keep telling yourself that, Frenchman on a skiing vacation.
>>
>>51842047
that's because they are assholes
>>
>>51842131
>6th biggest economy
>somehow a small player
>>
File: 1424986187441.jpg (28 KB, 280x289) Image search: [Google]
1424986187441.jpg
28 KB, 280x289
>>51841122
>>51841749
>>51841755
>>51842131
Educational problems, english is not taught enough at schools and it's very badly taught.
That's it, really.
>>
>>51842047
Doubt you've ever come here.

But keep in mind the 40 year old waiter taking your order will have a shit accent and doesn't even care.

>>51842057
No, this is the call of the specific institutions that are going to hire, not the government you gommie
>>
>>51842187

Why though? Why can't France get it right while pretty much every other Western European country does?

It's simple, practice over theory, THAT GOES FOR EVERY FUCKING LANGUAGE.
>>
>>51841855
true
>>
>>51842242
Our educational system hasn't really deeply changed since 1945 and it won't change until the constitution itself changes.
It's a fucked up situation we're in.
>>
>>51841993
Are you serious? we hit peak oil in 2005. The only thing that kept us going for the past decades has been the high oil price. Right now, our currency is in the process of collapsing, unemployment is almost as high as in the US, and shit is generally quite bad.

This meme about Norway having oil really needs to stop.

>French is still exclusively used in some international organisations
The organisation of French-speaking countries? Wow. Congratulations! You Frenchies really need to get over yourselves.

If your only response is: "Well, at least we're more relevant than Poorway!" you've already lost.
>>
>>51842057
Toirist jobs only exist in Amsterdam and Scheveningen (where lots of Germans go) Our biggest trading partner is Germany. Germans often just speak German here. And we reply in terrible German.
>>
>>51842319

From one collapsing economy to another, how much money would I need to live in a non-Oslo city for a year?

In NOK pls.
>>
>>51842177
The size of a country's economy is not everything.
There are lots of other factors that you have to take into consideration. What kind of influence does France have over other countries? Pretty much none. Which is why it's a small player. A bigger player than Norway or Slovenia, sure. But still a small player overall.
>>
>>51841122
holy shit i witnessed this.
>be 16
>work on a french company because dad wanted.
>sure whatever
>a retard's computer can't connect to ftp of our company
>whatever i can fix it.
>while fixing it, check through his mails
>he talked with company's french it
>retard: my computer can't connect to ftp://*****
>french it: im check it
>fi: your ip strange, what you do
>r: i dont do nothing. you break. i dont.
>fi: no you broke. i can connect it.
tl;dr french people sucks at english for some reason
>>
>>51842599
I'm just curious, who do you think that the big players are?
>>
>>51842449
I don't know. I get by on 100k, but I am a poor student, who happened to be lucky enough to find very cheap housing. You're probably going to need a quite a bit more than that.

But you should honestly ask someone else (maybe in the Norway threads?), because I have no idea.
>>
>proficientugal
>>
>>51842748
The US, China, Russia, Japan, Germany, Saudi Arabia, India and possibly the UK and Brazil.

Canada and Australia are fairly important as well, and in Africa there are some regional powers like Nigeria, South Africa and Kenya, although they are not really any more important than France on the world stage.
>>
>>51842131
lmao hardly anyone here speaks good english, let alone in africa, asia and south america
>>
>>51842898
There's no reasoning with you if you put the UK in the same place as Brazil
>>
>>51841122
>english
>germanic

kek
>>
>>51842951
>lmao hardly anyone here speaks good english, let alone in africa, asia and south america

Lots of African countries have English as their official language. And when I was in China, most people I met spoke decent English. (That was not the case in Japan, though.)

Everyone in Germany seems to speak English just fine, I don't see why it should be different in Austria.
>>
We learn english at school but a lot of people doesn't care , why would you when you doesn't work in tourism ?
We suck at english because we doesn't need it
>>51842898
we are the 6th bigger millitary force of the world and 6th by GPD
>>
Parce que ça fait mal au cul des anglos et de leurs chiens
>>
>>51841749
We learn Spanish, German and Latin (for those who are lucky enough to have good grade or caring parents).

There's a lot of reason but to put it up simply, French authority and French people want their culture to resist mondialisation.

People have decided that their country is relevant enough to deserve better than become an america light.

Everything is dubbed, French movie industry (and every arts) is subsided heavily, every technical term are translated (you can work in IT and don't use any English term, everyone will be able to keep up).

It's called "the cultural exception".

This and the fact that our language education is 3rd world tier.
>>
>people thinking that we refuse to speak English out of arrogance

Well our language classes do really suck, and we dub pretty much everything (which gets really cringe inducing, especially when children are dubbed by adults)
>>
>>51843117
>people doesn't care

I can't tell if this is bait

>>51843140
I'll translate. Because we like to get buttfucked by the anglo dogs

>>51843205
Do you think Poland doesn't dub their shit?
>>
>>51843251
but polish dub sucks ass
>>
Frenchman teaching English here.
The reason France sucks at talking English is generally because students replicate the country's spirit, which is "I don't give a f*ck if you succeed in talking English."
Thus, while not being particularly stupid nor arrogant, a lot of teenagers just won't do the effort - "But sir, in France we speak French !"
>>51843117

We don't*

Tu n'utilises "doesn't" au présent simple qu'à la 3ème personne du singulier (ex "she doesn't, he doesn't, it doesn't"). Jamais ailleurs.
>>
>>51843305
>>51843251
Well their language classes are probably not third world tier
back in high school I was the only one in my class with a decent level in English, everyone else was just unable to make up simple sentences

>>51843305
Yeah there's this whole 'hurr durr language classes aren't useful"
Man I'd hate being an english teacher in a collège public
>>
>>51843251
not a bait, why would you care speaking a language you will use 2 time a year when some tourist want the direction ?
also it translate as : " because it butthurts the anglo and their dogs"
>>51843305
oui sur 4c j'écris vite et je fait souvent pas gaffe à la conjugaison
>>
>>51843420
t'es nouveau sur cette planche ? Tu bouffes des chattes ?
>>
>>51843420
>oui sur 4c j'écris vite et je fait souvent pas gaffe à la conjugaison
You seem to be having trouble with the French, as well.
>>
File: 49.jpg (47 KB, 400x402) Image search: [Google]
49.jpg
47 KB, 400x402
>italy and spain
>moderate

I don't think so. When I was spain, I read countless studies and articles trying to explain why spaniards can't into english. They're at least as bad as we are.
>>
>>51843305
>at talking English

lel
>>
>>51841122
Poland strong
>>
>>51843537
ça fait un bail que je suis ici maintenant, nope toujours pas goutté
>>51843592
>fais
that's it, otherwise the sentence is fine
>>
>>51841122
>coming from quebec
Quebeckers are TERRIBLE english speakers
Maybe teenagers can speak now, but anyone older than 25 is terrible at english
>>
>>51843776
They're terrible french speakers too
>>
>>51841538
>pour moi
No 4U
>>
>>51843741

Got anything useful to say, senpai ?
>>
>>51843775
It's the same kind of mistake that you made in English. Using third person instead of first or second. I thought it was funny.

And that "pas" looks slightly out of place. Don't you need another word to go with it? I don't speak a lick of French, so I wouldn't know if it's wrong or not.
>>
>>51843035
You sure are one delusional Russian.
>>
>>51844040
>I don't speak a lick of French, so I wouldn't know if it's wrong or not.

Shut up then?
>>
>>51843982
>at talking english

Seriously ?
>>
>>51843819
New world French is horrible.
>>
>>51844148

Seriously. State your point.
>>
>>51844131
It's not my fault you Somalis are so retarded that you think Brazil is a biger player than the UK
>>
>>51844192
T'es prof d'anglais et tu dis "do you talk english" ?
>>
>>51842131
>compared to the big ten
Dude, we ARE part of the big ten.
>>
>>51844040
it's true , I didn't even notice.
I could have use "ne" before the "fais", I used a more familiar register than standard
>>
>>51844274

Wow bien vu, j'ai bien fait d'insister pour que tu craches ta valda. Putain ça ne va plus moi, merci de la correction.
>>
>>51842599
>permanent member of the UNSC
>6th world economy
>super involved in shenanigans abroad by virtue of being one of the last euro countries with a decent army and the will to use it
Pls be trolling
>>
>>51844412
C'est à force d'entendre des erreurs énormes toute la journée. J'ai une copine prof d'anglais en lycée et elle me demande souvent mon avis tellement elle fini par douter à la longue.
>>
>>51844295
Don't respond to the Somali, it thinks that Saudi Arabia is one of the big players.
>>
>>51844519

Oui, on régresse vraiment dans ce job sans y faire attention. C'est abrutissant au possible.
>>
>>51844295
No, you're not. Big twenty? Yes. Big ten? No.

>>51844472
You have a pity seat in the security council. Congratulations.

>>51844534
Saudi Arabia controls the muslims and the oil price. They are an extremely influential country.
>>
i went to france and tried to speak english, and people seemed really pissed at me for trying to communicate with them, they also acted like complete dicks even if somehow my message came across.

Some of my french m8s explained that the french perceive politeness differently than most of he world.

When someone is asking for directions, you have to concentrate 100% in order to help them, which is why most french appear angry when talking to strangers.

Also they find it disrespectful to answer stupid questions because that would imply that the asker is stupid himself, so they wont answer anything.
>>
>>51844711
ok babe
>>
>>51844711
Dat fucking delusion.
>pity spot
And a veto right.
>>
>>51844711
>thinks that Saudi Arabia is OPEC
top kek

>Saudi Arabia controls the muslims
That's why they have to bomb ISIS instead of just saying stop
>>
>>51844957
Yes, a pity seat. The seats were reserved for the countries that won WWII. And half of France was occupied for the entire war, and the other half was allied with Germany. Poland would have been a better candidate for that seat, to be honest.
>>
>>51845836

The same stands for China then.
Pity seat or not, we have one.
>>
>>51841122
because muh French heritage and it's burden to spread French as world language
>>
Because French hate the English

t. France expert
>>
>>51843075
English is basically a crippled version of French with a few Saxon words
>>
>>51841749
You dont need it at all here.
Why bothering?
>>
>that norwegian who's little sister is shagging a french man
no matter which you look at it, france is top 10
>>
>>51842021
>angloboo

Non merci

>>51841749
>Why be okay being an unilingual faggot

>this from an anglo

topkek

We don't give two fucks about your "language", deal with it, mes amis
>>
>>51841122
Because French is better. Simple other questions ?
>>
>huuuuuuur speak english, fgts !!! french is useless, france is irrelevant !!!!

Tabernak, rien que pour ça, je continue de parler Français
>>
>>51841122
French and German are better to explain ideas. English is poor language. and ... we need a entire life to speak a perfect and beautiful french.
>>
>>51841122
>>51841749
>>51841755
>>51841871
>>51842001
>>51842021
>>51842131
>>51842165
>>51842319
>>51842599
>>51843098
>>51843251
>>51843592
>>51844711
>>51845836
Dudes, I know that you love your dear English language (because you're keks), that you hate France and French people for some reason...but damn, no need to be rude

Even Brits ITT are bro tier (and not arrogant cunts)

>>51842898
....well, ok, that's really ridiculous, Norway...
>>
>>51847317
you can't watch or read anything without subtitles or translation that looses all of nuance
>>
this i bullshit, 90% of portuguese over 40 years old suck at english, it may be high for the half of people under 40yo, but it's very bad for the other half, so the final score should be moderate, not high.
>>
>>51844711
Dude you have no idea what you're talking about. You think Brazil and SA are important, but UK and France aren't. You're out of your depth in a fucking 4chan thread.
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.