[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does your country still bitch about World War Two? What effect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: USS arizona.jpg (97 KB, 528x960) Image search: [Google]
USS arizona.jpg
97 KB, 528x960
Does your country still bitch about World War Two?
What effect on your cultural heritage did WWII have on your country.
Here in New Zealand the whole myth of the ANZACs and the Maori battalion is used as a beacon for patriotism, and the war is frequently glorified through these myths as part of the whole nation making narrative.
>>
>>51815437
It sure does. Literally (but not officially) claiming everyone non-friendly to be faschist, bitching about yurop being ungrateful about us saving them from Hitler and just looking for every opportunity to make parallels between modern times and WWII.
>Cultural heritage
Yes, a lot of songs, movies, books and poems.
>>
File: liberator Spurdo.png (718 KB, 1291x845) Image search: [Google]
liberator Spurdo.png
718 KB, 1291x845
>>51816560
I can imagine the saturation of war heritage in Russia must be...either glorious or nauseating, kinda like when they start playing Christmas carols on the radio in November.

Do people really get their wedding photos taken in front of war monuments, or is that just an exaggeration?
>>
>>51816630
They do, but it's not a tradition or anything. More like because these monuments are far more frequent than any else. Seriously, almost every town with population more than 10000 has some sort of memorial.
>>
>>51816560

Even we aren't this obsessed with ww2. Clearly we joined the wrong side.
>>
>>51817457
Yes. I honestly prefer that Hitler would invite Japan and start with USSR. This way, we would have USSR gone and Chinese Republic saved. And it's not like it would last forever, by the 1945 Hitler would have gotten rekt by US and France anyway.
>>
>>51817263
We have monuments to world war 1 in every town, even little villages with less than 100 people.
>>
bitching about ww2 is mostly neighboring countries' business here.
but every august mainstream media, most notably, NHK, public broadcast, air lots of shows about the horror of war and how retarded military's decision making processes were. also, there are still the remnant of america's WGIP (war guilt information program) to some extent, i suppose.
>>
fucking hated learning about anzacs in school. It was literally a retreat. My teacher said gallopoli was the "worlds most successful retreat" in primary. Like fucking what? nothing to be proud about.
>>
>>51825572
>WGIP
explain
>>
Yes, but only because we claim everything that isn't hard-left is Nazism.
>>
YES
FINLAND STRONG
>>
>>51825716
Bullshit

The hard left are a joke in this country
>>
>>51825679
we basically tried to program war guilt into them

it didn't take with the japs as well as it did with the huns
>>
>>51825716
Lots of Americans do the same. It's annoying. It's an argument that's frequently used to pussify the state.

>you aren't accepting immigrants? you know who else didn't accept immigrants? HITLER! is this great country going to follow in his footsteps?!

>suddenly immigrants are fucking accepted
>>
>>51825598
Nothing about gallipoli was successful
>>
>>51815437
Why would we bitch about World War 2, when we ceased existing for the entire war and beyond?
>>
File: REEEEEEEEEE.jpg (57 KB, 895x895) Image search: [Google]
REEEEEEEEEE.jpg
57 KB, 895x895
>>51815437
>mfw WW2 was the worst thing that ever happened to Europe.

Overall our education on WW2 is shit and hardly any Brits actually know just how much the UK actually did in the war.
>>
>>51825572
There was also a lot of shit going on about WWII when I visited in August, but that's mostly because of all the bomb/surrender anniversary stuff
>>
>>51828079
Poverty of 19th century that spawned communism is gone, the only hard leftists viable for power are the pro-immigration crowd.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.