[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has any country ever had as quick and dramatic a drop in geopolitical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8
File: 1395904486386.png (783 KB, 1500x1796) Image search: [Google]
1395904486386.png
783 KB, 1500x1796
Has any country ever had as quick and dramatic a drop in geopolitical relevance as Britain did post WWII without being outright conquered or destroyed?
>>
>>51788917
Spain? Maybe Russia post USSR.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-psZiB7kJXs
>>
Britain licked Hitler's balls prior to WW2 to avoid getting shitstomped and had been reduced to inhuman practices to keep india, so I assume the drop happened long before that.
>>
portugal
>>
Argentina. Total economic collapse.
>>
>>51788917
Pretty sure Britain had a bigger drop in relevancy from pre WWI to post WW2 than Germany
>>
>>51789809
"Germany lost the war but won the peace" as the saying goes
>>
File: British Overseas Presence.png (125 KB, 1280x712) Image search: [Google]
British Overseas Presence.png
125 KB, 1280x712
>>51789809
>>51789941
Nah not really. We lost the empire but we also gained a seat on the UNSC P5 and independently developed nuclear weapons. We also kept a military presence around the world, including East Asia and the Gulf, despite withdrawal from Empire.

Germany on the other hand was excluded from the UNSC, its country was divided into two for almost half a century, its political system was re-made by foreigners in order to neuter it, and Germany was never allowed to develop nuclear weapons or a proper delivery system for them.
>>
UK went from 3rd most relevant country in the world to the 4th

Hardly that severe
>>
>>51790126
>we were only third then

>we're the fourth most relevant country now

ahahahha
>>
>>51789620
this
>>
>>51790179
Everyone is irrelevant except a few 4th is already an insult
>>
>>51790079
we still have that base?
>>
>>51788917
Spain after the Thirty Years' War.
>>
>>51790318
Yep and you will for a long time

>In 1981 the lease for Suffield was extended and in 1991, the lease was again extended. In 2006, on the expiration of this lease, the British and Canadian governments concluded an agreement that will allow British forces to maintain their training practices in Canada indefinitely.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Army_Training_Unit_Suffield
>>
>>51789620

it was the Lisbon Earthquake that caused it, watched a documentary a bit out not so long ago, was bretty gud
>>
>>51790380
Source of documentary? Sounds interesting
>>
>>51789553
Nah, Britain exhausted itself economically and mentally fighting the War. It took until 1982 for us to pick ourselves up as a people.
>>
>>51792186
Where did you hear that utter trite? That's when the see u see kay became a real threat to your nation.
>>
File: 8YcuQ9x.jpg (33 KB, 305x406) Image search: [Google]
8YcuQ9x.jpg
33 KB, 305x406
>>51789675
WE WUZ WEALTHY ND SHIT
>>
>>51792377
What happened? I don't know of anything besides Evita.
>>
>>51792563
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_history_of_Argentina
>>
No. We were always pretty irrelevant even on regional level.
>>
DESIGNATED
>>
>>51788917
Maybe France after Napoléon it all went downhill
>>
File: economic_decline.jpg (92 KB, 595x338) Image search: [Google]
economic_decline.jpg
92 KB, 595x338
>>51792253
The fuck are you on about Sven? The 80s is when we began our rebound
>>
>>51790079
UK strong
>>
Well, France became literally irrelevant after 7YW/Waterloo
>>
>>51796089
Yeah but it became relevant again a few decades after
>>
Empires come and go, why do you presume yours was meant to last forever?

But don't worry, it'll all be over soon.
>>
Austria wuz Holy Roman Emperor and shit. Austrohungarian empire was rekt to oblivion.
>>
>>51788917
Spain by a massive degree
got BTFO by its own amazing success
>>
>>51788917
Austria
Portugal
Spain
Netherlands
Russia
Poland
Germany
Mexico
Colombia
Serbia
Rome
Byzantium
Mongolia
Iran
Egypt
>>
>>51792563
used to be the second wealthiest nation in the Americas or something close

now its a shithole and Canada is the second wealthiest
>>
>>51799375
Says who?
>>
>>51788917
Portugal...
Back then the countries that controlled the world were,England,France,Portugal,Spain,HRE,Ottoman Empire and nothing else.
Portugal controlled the seas from the atlantic to the east asian sea...
Spain got the pacific.
England and France were fighting for Europe.
The ottoman was steamrolling the balkans...
The rest was meaningless and of little interest to western europe...
>>
We had. Fucking twice. I mean of course there's 90's and the USSR collapse, but imo the establishment of USSR was even worse
>in 1917-1921 we went from a world power to an unrecognized rogue state, literally ISIS-tier
>from a huge economical and cultural rise before the war, to a full "just fuck my shit up" in all aspects of the country
>lost 3 million people in emigration, almost the upper class, including many outright brilliant people like Sikorsky.
>>
almost the entire upper class*
>>
>>51800294
The Russian Revolution was a terrible disasters. WW1 is why we can't have nice things. Worst war ever.
>>
It took 150 years, 5 powerful countries and +10 wars to kill us.
>>
File: Trump.jpg (95 KB, 482x496) Image search: [Google]
Trump.jpg
95 KB, 482x496
>Thread on empires lost
>US not mentioned

Feels good, m8.
>>
File: enough.jpg (71 KB, 707x500) Image search: [Google]
enough.jpg
71 KB, 707x500
>>51802552
Poland is my favourite meme country. Never again will dirty Krauts and Russians invade Poland.
>>
>>51802557
The US empire was pretty small, just the Philippines and some more islands. Can't fall very far by losing that.
>>
>>51802557
Well, the U.S. is pretty much at the top of it's game right now.

Following the trend of history, something is about to go down in the next couple of decades, though.

I'm expecting either China or India (granted, they learn how to poo in loo and close the gap between the upper and lower class somewhat)
>>
>>51802685

t-thanks, Alberto
>>
File: usa world gdp.gif (5 KB, 482x296) Image search: [Google]
usa world gdp.gif
5 KB, 482x296
>>51802713
>Well, the U.S. is pretty much at the top of it's game right now.
>>
File: photo 1.jpg (60 KB, 964x423) Image search: [Google]
photo 1.jpg
60 KB, 964x423
>>51802557
>American "education"
The American Empire is currently at the greatest geographical extent its ever been.
Likely its all downhill from here though.
>>
>>51802815
That is bullshit definition of an empire.

Going by that logic, the UK still has an empire (because we have military garrisons in a bunch of foreign countries)

I mean the US government even pays rent for most of those bases
>>
>>51802802
Well, maybe not so much as right after WW2, but it's still dominating both military and economically.

This proves my second point, though. Which is that the U.S. will lose its position of power somewhere in the near future.
>>
>>51802946
Are you really going to argue against the fact that US is the dominant geopolitical and economic influence in those countries where it has a troop presence?
>>
>>51803640
>Are you really going to argue against the fact that US is the dominant geopolitical and economic influence in those countries where it has a troop presence?
Yeah, I don't think that's true. Is Italy more concerned about what the USA does, or more concerned about France and Germany? I think it's the latter. Even the UK put its own interest about the USA's interests when it joined China's AIIB after the US told it not to.

Obviously the USA is a superpower, I'm not arguing with that. But your argument is that having military bases in other countries constitutes an empire? That's fucking dumb. According to you, the British Empire still exists and Canada is part of it.
>>
>>51803101
Yes it is a superpower
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.