[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's a good foreign country to live in?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: Peter_Jackson-afr69310gfxcql.jpg (30 KB, 420x285) Image search: [Google]
Peter_Jackson-afr69310gfxcql.jpg
30 KB, 420x285
Hello /int/

French expat here. The money is good, but it will not last forever and I'm really not sure what I should do after.
If I stay, I will most probably end up in a slave job and finish a hunchback because of too much bowing down to my Japanese masters.
I feel like I still don't want to go back home to my home country yet.

I have master's degree in computer science and about 5 years of experience. I can speak French and English mainly.
I've learned German, I loved the language but it's only used in Germany and Austria so no chance of practise and I forgot most of it. I can speak some Japanese, basic conversation and bar talk.

I'm now wondering what would be a great foreign country to live in? One that would offer me good opportunities?
If necessary, I'm willing to learn the language.

I've travelled the world a little bit, so far I liked:
* Russia the most, but maybe I'm biased because I love their literature
* China looked interesting
* Singapore was good, but very small and probably boring after a little while
* Sweden, Stockholm looked like a clean version of Paris with friendly locals
Japan is of course still a pretty cool place, but the rampant xenophobia is sometimes hard to cope with (I make a little bit less than 100k$ and I'm denied any credit card because of gaijin while broke students have dozens of them).

I didn't like US so much (I've been to D.C. and San Francisco bay area), it looked like a cheap version of western Europe, even though I recognize the money can be good there.

tl;dr what would be your advise for a foreign country to live in as a technical engineer?

picture unrelated
>>
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-07/pm-to-unveil-20-measures-to-foster-innovation/7005696

could get a new visa announced today
>>
>>51773539
>technical engineer

any anglo country. you'd make the most money in north america so if you're against living in the US then canada is the next best thing (although i don't think the bay area and D.C. are quite representative of this country tbf).
>>
>>51773717
I didn't really hate the US, it's just it looked very similar to western Europe, with less history and cheaper looking buildings. So I don't see the point of going through the troubles of being a foreigner there if I can get the same living style back home.

Russia looks tempting, but the fact that it's a dictatorship is scaring me a little (if Putin decides France is evil overnight, I might get kicked out and lose everything I had built there, friendship, love, family, whatnot). Also language barrier, I have no idea how difficult Russian is (in comparison, Japanese isn't that hard, the real difficulty comes from the writing and their thousands of kanjis).
>>
>>51773539
Could learn Spanish and look into Latin America
>>
File: 1449411127928.jpg (126 KB, 703x710) Image search: [Google]
1449411127928.jpg
126 KB, 703x710
>>51773539
>DC and the san fransisco bay area
literally the worst parts of the country
the south, midwest, or anywhere else would be better
>>
In my opinion are best countries for live Finland, Norway, Denmark and Sweden
>>
>>51775778
If you want to use your German then you should go to Switzerland.
>>
>>51775972

Schwizerdütsch is a little different from standard german. They also use different terms for the same stuff. You could survive with high german, but as far as I know, they'll get assblasted if you don't speak their accent.
Though he could try to go to the french areas of Switzerland.
>>
File: 1446779562073.png (251 KB, 603x346) Image search: [Google]
1446779562073.png
251 KB, 603x346
>>51773539
FUCK YOU LUCAS, You ruined the prequels.
>>
>>51778766
wouldn't that be just the same problem? I bet the Swiss French have their own accent and would get assblasted by standard French
>>
>engineer

I am so jelly :(
>>
>>51779060
The Swiss hate everyone and especially their neighbouring countries. Germany would be better
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.