[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are Americans really as friendly as people make them out to be?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6
File: file.png (865 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
file.png
865 KB, 1440x1080
Are Americans really as friendly as people make them out to be?

I've read so many times online where Americans talk about a stranger complimenting their clothes or striking up a conversation.

I've lived in a few countries in Europe and the furthest interaction you'll have with strangers is asking for the time or for a lighter.

If you were to start talking to someone in a bus or on the street in Europe you'd just get a weird "what the fuck man" look most of the time
>>
>>51705445
I wouldn't say we're friendly, we're just social.
>>
>>51705445
Only if you're white.
>>
>>51705445

Why are northern euros autistic
>>
People are gonna come in here and post about how it's fake, but if you're foreign and come here, for example, on an exchange most people will go out of their way to give you a positive experience.

I always took foreigners from my uni classes around my city to my favorite restaurants and to a NFL/NBA/Baseball game, wouldn't let them go halfsies either
>>
Just depends the type of people you tali to you can find dipshits and really nice people
>>
>>51705445
Yes but I've lived in Germany for the last four years and lost that friendliness because love is not in German. Friends will try to compliment me and I'll tell them to fuck off and if they keep it up I'll start a fight with them so fuck you OP that's your answer you faggot I hope your dog gets hit by a car
>>
>>51705570
I don't know man, I'm from Eastern europe and have been here a year and they're really weird
>>
>>51705572
You sounds like a fag.
>>
>>51705445
Last night when I went to get beer at the supermarket I asked this lady next to me "what should I get" and we had a 15-20 minute discussion about drinks, her family, and life in my state. I did the same to another guy and we talked about his kids, the beach, and different drinks. When the superbowl and NCAA basketball tournament happened a couple of customers and the cashier began talking about it.

Last night I went to Donald Trump speech and I spoke to most of the people around me. I had a good conversation with young father and his 6 year old a kid, a middle aged couple, and an old lady.
>>
>>51705486
This.
>>
>>51705706
This is what I'm talking about. Shit like this NEVER happens to me. I'm an autist but it's rare even for normies
>>
>>51705650
Showing hospitality to guests is a pretty big American trait
>>
>>51705706
what the fuck is wrong with you people, don't you have stuff to do?
>>
>>51705572
Sound like a poofta
>>
>>51705734
Maybe you're ugly
>>
>>51705706
yea some times i'll talk to the clerks at the gas station for like 30 minutes
>>
>>51705746
Maybe for gays.
>>
>>51705445
>I've lived in a few countries in Europe and the furthest interaction you'll have with strangers is asking for the time or for a lighter.
Not everywhere. In Hungary, older ie: 60 something and above people will totally strike you up for a conversation at the bus stop at random. Occasionally it's good because they have good stories, sometimes it's obnoxious, because even if you put your headphones in they'll still continue to talk to you.

On the other hand twentysomethings and younger folks don't really talk to anyone except their friends when in public. Though I had a few positive experiences. Like, one time I was bored out of my mind, I was waiting for the bus reading on my kindle, when a random dude just asked me whether I wanted to go play pool with him in a nearby pub until the bus comes which was another 30 minutes approximately. At first I was kinda suspicious, but he turned out allright. Also I never played pool before so I sucked hard, but it was fun. Kinda wish I remembered his name, because he was a down to earth, funny, a total bro.

Uh, I'm not sure what I wanted to say with this. I guess, people just need to break the ice? Then everything goes smoothly.
>>
>>51705790

Same here if no one else is in line
>>
>>51705758
Nope
>>
I go eat in restaurant and strike a conversation with cute waitresses when possible. If it was an enjoyable conversation, I give her bigger tip.

>Hey, I have never been here. Do you have any recommendation?

This literally works in 99% of stores.

Try it out you autistic eurofags.
>>
How do Americans enjoy living so much?
Everybody is depressed in europe. We love complaining about shit. What is the secret formula to happiness? Is it the the hue infection?
>>
>>51705734
I don't know. I'm an autist too, I stutter and I'll sometimes twitch when speaking, but it's fun to meet strangers and have short conversations.
When I worked at a small grocery store I ended up befriending a few customers. I played guitar with one of customers. And I went drinking with another.
It's easy. If I see someone with a Red Hot Chilli Peppers shirt I can comment on it, they'll reply, and we can start talking about music. I ask them if they play any instruments, what concerts they've been too, etc.
>>51705758
Like what? It's nice to talk to strangers. When you have a good conversation with a stranger you learn more about the world, and you feel happy with your community.
>>
I think it's more common in rural areas, I was born and raised in a city and almost never have conversations with strangers
>>
>>51705907
Freedoms
>>
>>51705907
>What is the secret formula to happiness?
We're happy we're not Europeans.
>>
>>51705907
I think it's smaller communities like this guy says >>51705992
>>
>>51705445

Think it depends on where you live. I'm from a fairly urban area and crap like that never happens unless I go to the countryside.
>>
>>51705940
I see insisting on holding a meaningless conversation as a disrespect for someone's time, why the fuck should you go out your way and listen to whatever the fuck I'm going to say? We won't meet again any time soon, anyway
>>
>>51705907
We're simple folk. We recognize small talk is silly shit, but it's fun. It's nice to talk to share thoughts.

>>51705992
Probably. Northerners are much more serious. I have a friend from New York who moved to the South when he was 12 and he was shocked at how nice people are here.
>>
>>51705992
This. Fuck the city life.
>>
>>51706081
Clearly we need more multiculturalism
>>
>>51705907
optimistic society that encourages and admires success vs pessimistic societies that tend to look down on people who stand out too much
>>
>>51706112
I assume it's cause someone showing interest in you and what you have to say feels good
>>
>>51705895
In restaurants it's normal to ask questions obviously. Once the question(s) has been answered the conversation is over though.
>>
>>51705895
>This literally works in 99% of stores.

Works for what?
>>
>>51705758
We don't stop people on the street and shit, it only happens while people are in the same vicinity doing something (ex. shopping for food) or are on a bus/train/elevator/same taxi
>>
>>51706112
Well I don't really insist on anything. That's where body language comes in.
There's many times when I've just said something, they've nodded or responded, and we've parted ways.
>>
>>51706112
yea it's almost like there are cultural differences between countries that lead to differences in mentality

youre not wrong, in moldova, and he's also not wrong, in the US
>>
>>51705445
They're trained to socialize.
>>
>>51706156
>Once the question(s) has been answered the conversation is over though.
So you can't ask questions like these?
>how long have you worked here
>what're your favorite foods
>are you from around here
>what do you like most about the job
>>
>>51706154
but they don't, they're just talking to me because they expect to be talked to back, this is all phoney
>>
>>51706257
You can and you'll get answer, I'd never do it though. I hated the smalltalking customers when I worked as a cashier, chances are I'm not interested in your life.
>>
>>51706275
Damn, you know our mentality and feelings better than we do. that is quite an impressive task.

Or maybe you just live in a post soviet shithole that still has a soviet mentality where 'outward happiness' and 'trust of other people' are foreign concepts that are looked at with suspicion
>>
>>51706275
>hey're just talking to me because they expect to be talked to back, this is all phoney
That depends on the person and conversation. You have to talk to them before you know.
If they don't listen to you, then it's silly.
>>
>>51706368
>chances are I'm not interested in your life.
I wouldn't just tell you about my life though. The key is asking about someone else's life and trying to learn from them or at least take 1 small tidbit of information.
>>
>>51706387
there is literally no reason to be interested in a person you'll never meet again
>>
>>51706378
You do the exact same thing you're criticizing in your second sentence.
>>
>>51706387
this, it's not hard to realize when someone isn't in the mood for socilizing. recognizing these cues is an inherent function in a neural-typical human being
>>
>>51706478
Why not?
>>
>>51706517
He has severe autism don't bother
>>
>>51706488
yes i did, because i already explained my feelings to him in one post politely >>51706201 which he disregarded.

so i gave him a taste of his own medicine.
>>
>>51706517
because I loathe people and there is no reason for anyone to like me unless proven otherwise
>>
>>51706462
I'm not interested in giving you information about my life either. I know how to smalltalk, and we do when we find it appropiate and meaningful, there's no need to be condescending. There's not like there's a complete lack of social interaction.
>>
>>51706478
There's no reason to debate with an anon you'll never know ether if you want to be a downer about things
>>
>>51706566
You sound like a teenage girl I know. Are you a qt??
>>
>>51706566
Well geeze, I'm sorry you feel that way anon. You could be a shitty person. Or you could be cool. There's no way to no until we talk.

I think the american attitude is more:
>there's no reason to dislike someone until proven otherwise
>>
This is the American attitude desu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpy7UWuWg3Q
>>
>>51706588
there are no flags and memes irl fäm
>>
>>51705706
What is the purpose of having such lengthy inane conversations with people you'll never see again? I don't get it.
>>
>>51706826
It's fun and feels good

Improves your whole day really
>>
>>51706826
It's enjoyable. You get to see the different people that make up the world. Makes you feel the world is not so cold and dark as you'd expect. Makes me less cynical.
>>
>>51706877
In my experience, it's akward and feels horrible.
>>
>>51706488

No shit, Torvald. How insightful.
>>
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 416x431) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 416x431
>>51706478
>t. Edgelord autist.
>>
>>51706923
because you were born and raised in a country and culture that doesn't do this kind of thing

it's pretty ironic how unwilling people on the 'international' board aren't able to come to terms with this concept
>>
>>51706877
it doesn't feel good
I need to spend a whole day alone to rest from ~1h of talking to people
>>51706895
perks of being a cultureless melting pot
>>
>>51705445
Sort of? We don't really have chats with people on the bus like the memes say. Maybe we'd exchange a few friendly sentences depending on the context and get on with our lives.
>>
>>51706946
I believe that hypocrisy should be avoided and rightfulyl pointed out. Why are you so defensive?
>>
>>51707111
that wasn't me, i already explained why i said that which i guess you conveniently ignored

this is really why i never try to have an earnest conversation on here and just shitpost
>>
>>51705907
trust me Yuropoor, its all in The Burger :----DDDDDD
>>
>>51707056
>cultureless melting pot
>everyone consumes our movies, books, music, and wonders why America doesn't seem foreign.
When will this meme die?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1cDECkN2xg
America has more culture than almost any other country. Give me your definition of culture and I'm sure America has it or they're many other Western Countries which don't have it.
>>
>>51707056
That's kind of cute

Are you sure you're not a cute girl

>>51707074
Yeah I don't want anyone talking to me on the bus but off the bus is fair game. Spoke to a local guy who was insisting the local town illuminati is after his landlord, it was fun.
>>
>>51707237
afraid not
>>
>>51707160
You explained why you said what where? I really don't know what you're getting at.
>>
Consider a pack of dogs. If one of them barks, the others will bark back. Some of it is playful barking, some of it is nervous barking, some of it is vicious barking. It's a learned automatic response. If you walk outside and see your neighbor, it's considered rude if you don't wave or ask how they're doing. If you sit with a group of strangers for a long period of time, you break the ice and get to know them.
>>
>>51707327
follow the fucking replies, you're european so you are obviously of superior intellect than me

>>51706488

>>51706548
>>
It's considered rude and immature to be overly glum, so most people go out of their way to be conversational and polite.
Also the social repercussion for being overly happy with things is very small, so there's no reason not to show your happiness.
>>
>>51707457
Right, I don't think it warrants being a hypocrite in the first place, but willingly let it slide. My response to this
>>51706946
was to explain why I posted what was an obvious observation.

If you really are incapable of having an earnest conversation on 4chan, your assumption about my intellect is true.
>>
>>51707777
Dude what ?? I can't even follow this shit rofl
>>
>>51707777
you realize you're talking to two people, right?
>>
>>51705445
>If you were to start talking to someone in a bus or on the street in Europe you'd just get a weird "what the fuck man" look most of the time

How the fuck do European ""men"" pick up girls then?

Christ Europe is so shit- sandnigger muslims, cold, autistic europeans, failing economy and culture, Islam, "refugees"

what a pathetic continent
>>
>>51705706
what the fuck
>>
>>51707914
Yes, and I didn't understand why the second poster was so upset.
>>
>>51707995
>pick up girls
this is anglo autistic culture.No one does that here
>>
>>51708029
idk i dont have a telepathy connections with anons posting from my country, maybe that's just in norway
>>
>>51707995
The only setting you pick up girls is a club or through mutual friends
>>
>>51708148

Yeah, that's another reason why we don't do small talk
>>
>>51708112
Then how do you get laid?

I might be living in Europe in the future, and this is terrifying to me
>>
>>51708112
this
>>
>>51708195
>Then how do you get laid?
wrong place to ask my leaf friend
>>
>>51708195
>Then how do you get laid?
You meet them through your friends by going out somewhere, it develops passively.
>>
>>51708148
I didn't expect the first poster to respond either, but you did.
>>
>>51708279
>You meet them through your friends by going out somewhere, it develops passively.
>tfw I will never have friends in Northern Europe because I look Southern
>tfw beard might give jihad factor, making things worse
>therefore, I will never get laid again

My future looks grim.
>>
>>51708395
>beard
Shave it you monster
>>
>>51708471
No I look like a pussy
>>
>>51708395
>beard
haha I tip my weed to you sir
seriously you should shave that hipster abomination that plagues today's society, most likely it doesn't look good
>>
>>51708623
I have a pretty okay beard actually

like I said I look like a pussy without it
>>
You always hear that western and northern yuropoors are autists who can't hold a conversation, but is the same true of Eastern Europe?
>>
>>51708805
yes
unless I know you, I won't talk to you
>>
File: 1318925927031.jpg (2 KB, 126x95) Image search: [Google]
1318925927031.jpg
2 KB, 126x95
>mfw americans talk first when they answer the phone
>>
>>51708933
Everyone I know does this.
>>
>>51709126
t. Abdul Mohammed al-Norge
>>
>>51708933

I can imagine a phone call between two yurotists, and both are too scared to talk first so they just breathe heavily with anxiety until one of them finally says something after 5 minutes.
>>
>>51708933
>pick up phone
>say hello

This is awkward to you?
>>
>>51705907
>Everybody is depressed in europe.
You live in dreary, overcast shitholes. Look at any picture of Europe, especially Eastern Europe, and it looks like a 1984-style communist dystopia.

Your architecture may be nicer but your weather is shit.

Where the fuck are your blue skies?
>>
Americans are scared of silence. They have to constantly talk to keep the noise going. It's as if they're afraid of hearing their own thoughts and finding out there's nothing in there.
>>
>>51709301
Well, it's customary to for the calling person to send a text message 5 minutes in front, so the answerer has time to prepare - usually all goes smoothly.

Who the fuck are still ringing people anyway
>>
File: latitude vs sunshine hours.png (273 KB, 1150x644) Image search: [Google]
latitude vs sunshine hours.png
273 KB, 1150x644
>>51709373
True
>>51709537
>it's customary to for the calling person to send a text message 5 minutes in front
What the fuck.This is autism.
>>
i live in the rural midwest and you'd think convenience stores and gas stations were actually just some dude's house party where you're expected to go in and chat with everyone

>even slightly glance at the snack aisle
>"HOO BOYO WHAT FLAVOR MUNCHIES U THINKIN BOUT TONIGHT? IM THINKIN CHEETOES MYSELF. HOW BOUT THAT GAME TODAY"
>>
>>51709613
Sounds fun
>>
>>51709565
No, it's bait
>>
File: 1448691572570.png (578 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1448691572570.png
578 KB, 900x900
burger here, ignore the flag I'm on vacation.

The Northeast & california has the best view on shit like this,
>go to store
>purchase item
>cashier says total
> say thank you
>leave

retards from the south consider this to be "rude" because they enjoy having 5+ minute long conversations with strangers (aka being nosy) and being friendly.

Finland seems awesome because people only seem to be talkative when drunk, which is how I am
>>
>>51705445
How do you get sex if you have no conversation?
>>
>>51709508

pretty much this my mother has to talk to herself all the time because she can't handle silence. She will literally announce everything she's doing and whatever's on top of her mind, like "now I need to feed the dog and I am so hungry I want cookies yay!" etc
>>
>>51710831

protip: nobody cares about cashiers in the US that's a beaner job
>>
>>51710831
>Finland seems awesome because people only seem to be talkative when drunk, which is how I am
That's the majority of Europe. I have never experienced anything beyond 10-15 seconds of chit chat whilst the cashier is actually scanning your shit.
>>
File: 1444438979349.png (346 KB, 782x1015) Image search: [Google]
1444438979349.png
346 KB, 782x1015
>>51711796
it sucks, I went to college in the deep south and people there will sit there and try to have a conversation with the cashier, where at the end of the day, noone cares. but southerners are raised to think anyone who doesn't do this shit is rude

Europe I love because I can be drinking outside a pub, talk to randos while smoking, then leave. but sober i'd never do any of that shit
Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.