[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
War of 1812
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4
Convince me the war of 1812 wasn't an overwhelming victory for Britain.

>Only ended impressment and economic sanctions after we'd dealt with France.
>Inflicted more casualties upon America than vice versa.
>Reduced maritime trade to a trickle and bankrupted the American economy, forcing them to rely on loans for the rest of the war.
>Successfully defended Canada, which was the whole point of the war from Britain's point of view to begin with.

And of course:

>American capitols occupied by Britain: 1
>British capitols occupied by Americans: 0
>>
American's did wipe out the Indians, which were our allies.
>>
It was, but it came 40yrs too late
>>
What is it with anglos and historical delusions.
>>
>>51690593

I doubt this was as high a priority as the defence of Canada. Don't forget it was the Americans who started the war with the express purpose of taking Canada.
>>
it was a stalemate

then and now

to stalemate against a powerless former colony is shameful desu
>>
>>51691143

Not really considering we were effectively fighting with one hand tied behind our backs for much of the war and we were operating out of the other side of the world. Also, it wasn't a stalemate, it was a victory for the British, as my points indicate,
>>
>>51691257
so mean you didn't really want to win
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tl9HD01V704

This is the first Canadian Nationalist song from 1812, it was our 'first try'
>>
>>51691329
Stalemate was a victory for us, we didn't want to recolonise America, just retain naval pressgang and Canadian clay.
>>
>>51690545
Literally never heard of this war until autists on int
>>
>>51692289
catchy af
>>
>>51691143
Then you did not win Vietnam too.
>>
File: 1.jpg (54 KB, 291x630) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
54 KB, 291x630
Thank god they didn't keep it
>>
>>51690545
>muh glorious past

hahahaha
>>
>>51694535
Future will be more glorious
>>
>>51694617
under islam, sure
>>
Every time I see this thread I will always post the most embarrasingly lopsided battle in this entire war

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_New_Orleans

also

>Around 500 British troops who pretended to be dead rose up and surrendered to the Americans after the battle

>be brit
>surrender
>>
a stalemate is a pointless war

the aggressor loses by starting something and getting nothing

and no we weren't the aggressor
>>
>>51694724
>John Coffee
kek
>>
>>51694789
>and no we weren't the aggressor
kek, good one. Your president was a warmongering shit. Why the fuck would we start a war when we're already busy with a legitimate threat to our freedom in Europe?
>>
>>51694883
>warmongering
>shit
you a kek or something lad?
>>
>>51694913
actually he was the kek
>get pursuaded by Napoleon to start shit with Britain
>get your house burned down
ayyy
>>
>>51694724
the war was over lad
>>
It's quite simple Britbong.

America did not accomplish it's short term strategic goal of conquering Canada.

Britain did not accomplish it's long term strategic goal of bringing America back into it's sphere.

How is that not a stalemate ?

that's the perspective of the AP history Textbook, and I really can't disagree with it.
>>
>>51695100
listen to lei fang shing over here
>>
>>51695100
>Britain did not accomplish it's long term strategic goal of bringing America back into it's sphere.
[citation needed]
>>
>>51695545
Sure

The late flurry of U.S. successes dashed British hopes of squeezing concessions at the Ghent talks. This led the negotiators to abandon the plan to insist on a buffer state for the defeated Native American tribes that had helped British troops. Prime Minister Liverpool gave up trying to teach the Americans a lesson: “We might certainly land in different parts of their coast, and destroy some of their towns, or put them under contribution; but in the present state of the public mind in America it would be in vain to expect any permanent good effects from operations of this nature.”

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/british-view-war-1812-quite-differently-americans-do-180951852/?no-ist=&page=2
>>
>>51695922
> the plan to insist on a buffer state for the defeated Native American tribes that had helped British troops
In what way is this "bringing America back into it's sphere"? Unless you mean America in the geographic sense (ie creating a native american country which we have some control over).
>>
>>51696292
Don't you think that creating a fake ass puppet state, which would be full of a different race of people who are hostile to American interests, would be greatly undermining to American strategy. It would be an excellent way of keeping America leashed to Britain's foreign policy. Which would at the very least have kept America from expanding at the breakneck pace it had during the 1800s.
>>
>>51696292
Further down the line it isn't unreasonable to believe that Britain wouldn't become interested in further concessions from America. It was no secret that America has some of the best land in the world for farming and excellent navigable rivers, even at that time.
>>
It was pretty much a loss for us.
We did get to tell Britain to gtfo of the Great Lakes though.
>>
>>51694489
vietnam wasnt a war though, it was a policing action :^)
>>
File: image.jpg (380 KB, 1541x964) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
380 KB, 1541x964
>the point of the war was to capture Canada
Can Limeys be any more retarded
>>
I believe you forgot a certain battle in New Orleans
>>
>>51694724

Crysler's farm was more lopsided than this, as was Stoney Creek.
>>
thread theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50_iRIcxsz0
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.