[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did Thailand never try this shit. It is barely 50kms of land
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: file.png (414 KB, 916x760) Image search: [Google]
file.png
414 KB, 916x760
Why did Thailand never try this shit. It is barely 50kms of land they need to cut through (1/4th of the Suez canal), and almost a third of that is dominated by a lake/bay

It would cut down the shipping route by atleast 800 kilometers (insead of going through Singapore), so they would be guaranteed business

They can even set up a huge as fuck port city
>>
Update, it would actually cut down 1200 kilometers of route, and probably fuck over Singapore big time
>>
>>51679869
They should do it

Fuck singapore
>>
>>51679869

Because Malaysia would fall off and crash into Indonesia
>>
>>51680555
I actually read up on it after the thread went quite, and turns out Thailand has tried to do this many times, but Singapore and Malaysia blackmail them to stop

Even Britain had ideas to do it back when they owned the place, but didn't want their already flourishing trading port at Singapore to be affected, and decided not to do it
>>
>>51679869
i read somewhere that it's very difficult terrain
>>
>>51680599
It would be pretty economically devasting for Singapore. But I don't understand Malaysias beef with it?

What do they blackmail Thailand with?

Interesting thread never though of this before.
>>
Just do it . Fuck Singapore.
Australia should invest on it
>>
>>51680660
Malaysia makes a lot of money from Singapore's trade I think, either from some trade agreements or treaties they have

I was surprised to see it wasn't Singapore that broke of from Malaysia, Singapore was actually a part of Malaysia until the 1960s, until Malaysia actually voted to expel Singapore from their union, due to tensions and political disagreements. I imagine the separation agreement included some form of Malaysia still getting to profit of Singapore

>>51680665
Honestly I fucking would if I had the chance, even China is interested in it, but China and Thailand aren't too friendly for it to happen
>>
>>51680810
Like China would fuck up the only evidence of a successful Chinese run country

Singapore's existence does more for their people's image than their entire propaganda division
>>
because malaysia, singapore and indonesia would sabotage the fuck out of it if it happens
>>
File: file.png (11 KB, 1138x88) Image search: [Google]
file.png
11 KB, 1138x88
>>51680810
also Malaysia is Singapore's biggest trade partner, I actually thought it would be the other way around, but in terms of trade, Singapore is heavily reliant on Malaysia, so it would make sense for Malaysia to have a huge interest in Singapore's success and prosperity, and possibly the other way around as well.
>>
>>51680864
I could actually imagine a scenario where Singapore, Malaysia and Indonesia team up to actually invade that southern bit of Thai territory, if Thailand goes ahead with trying to build a canal their
>>
File: file.png (414 KB, 916x760) Image search: [Google]
file.png
414 KB, 916x760
>>51680599
>>51680810
>>51680864
>>51680915
just make it go through Thailand AND Malaysia, so both countries would profit from it
>>
>>51680915
not outright invasion really who would be dumb enough to pull that shit nowadays. maybe we would just rile up the south thais pattani muslims and make them secede
>>
>In the 20th century the idea resurfaced, including with a route in southern Thailand connecting Bandon Bay near Surat Thani with Phang Nga. Another proposed site is across Nakhon Si Thammarat and Trang Provinces. If completed, it is believed that the canal would bring an economic boost to the nearby area and benefit Thailand.

>The canal would compete directly with ports in the Strait of Malacca area, including Port Klang and Singapore and there is a long-standing rumor in the region that Singapore and Malaysia have been trying very hard to prevent the construction of the project by bribing Thai officials to vote against the construction of the project in the Bangkok parliament.[citation needed] Both stand to lose a substantial sum of business if the project was erected.
>>
>>51680959
obviously through proxy wars, but even then, invasion because of disrupted trading routes is pretty not that unlikely
Suez, Granada were both fought over, not that long ago

I would say, in modern times, that would probably one of the only reasons two huge countries would go to war, like if Turkey pulled some shit at Bosphorous, or Iran did that with Hormuz, there would definitely be war
>>
>>51680953
I now know where Phuket is.
>>
>>51681071
What does Phuket have to do with it
>>
Singapore is a trade centre so not many might actually wish to go past it though as a lot of goods are distributed from there.
>>
>>51681127
I shit, I didn't see the "now know", i thought you said "I know where Phuket is." as in, you are telling me off for implying I insinuated that you don't know where it is
>>
>>51681127
Every man and his dog has gone to fucking Phuket and when they're all like 'you know Phuket right' I'm like 'yeh dude, totally' when I know fuck all about it besides ping pong balls in vaginas.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.