[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is it true that german is trivial to learn for anglophones since
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: 1448869542375.jpg (100 KB, 648x880) Image search: [Google]
1448869542375.jpg
100 KB, 648x880
is it true that german is trivial to learn for anglophones since both languages are derived from the same common language?
>>
Yes. In fact you will find that all Indo-European languages hardly pose a challenge to master
>>
>>51664003
It's trivial to learn for anglophones because everyone on earth worth speaking to already speaks English.
>>
>>51664319
Russian is indo-european yet has none of the same words as english like german does
>>
German and English are separated by 2100 years but the basic vocabulary are still mutually recognizable in written form.
>>
>>51664003
German is quite different from English desu. It will take some time to get accustomed to. If you're a skilled learner you can learn to read & write the language decently within a year. Three years of consistent practice should be enough to become somewhat fluent in it.

German is not an easy language. There's a lot of grammar to practice and there are tons of ways that you can fuck up. There's also the situation with dialects.
>>
Swedish and Norwegian are probably quite easy but not German.
>>
>>51666475
It should be, but some people have big difficulties with it regardless. No language is easy to learn technically. One must keep in mind that any serious language is very elaborate and complicated. It takes a lot of time and practice to become fluent.

When I explain something in Norwegian I use a different mindset than when I explain something in English.
>>
>>51666642
Whilr this is of course true, but I still maintain that Swedish/Norwegian are very easy languages, relatively,for Englishspeakers. Word order is often identical.
>>
>>51664003
>tfw Czech
>I can use Czech grammar with English words and speak perfect German

feels good, lads.
>>
>>51664319
i hope you're joking
>>
>>51664003
English is a bastardization of Latin, German and French, so yes.
>>
>>51666821
Yes, but here are some differences that anglos really struggle with
>adjective inflections
>fixed expressions with a verb and a preposition (e.g. Det ser bra ut = It looks good; but many anglos write "Det ser bra" which means something else)
>noun gender
>when to use articles
>using words correctly (a given word in English might have 3 translations in Norwegian which all mean different things)
>particles (e.g. jo, nok; "Det er nok det")
>sentence can be drastically different from English once you move past simple sentences
>dialects
>>
Apart from various dialects like Scots that could be considered separate languages, the two easiest distinct languages for native English speakers to learn are by far Dutch and Afrikaans, and those two are mutually intelligible so you basically get both if you learn one. The next easiest are the Frisian languages. German, or perhaps a somewhat anglicized dialect of German like Pennsylvania Dutch (I'm not sure how mixed it is with English), would then be the next easiest. Of course very few people speak Dutch, Afrikaans, Frisian, or the dialects mentioned (even the English dialects), so you're best off learning German as your first foreign language if you want something both easy and useful.
>>
>>51667402
>Pennsylvania Dutch
Most degenerate German I've ever seen. It's basically a koiné language.
>>
>>51666894
English is essentially just German grammar with a slightly different syntax in some cases, a lack of genders, and a somewhat simpler declension, plus a much larger helping of Latin and French vocabulary. German feels like a very old-fashioned version of English. The shared vocabulary has made studying German very easy for me.
>>
>>51664003
>are derived from the same common language?
French ?
>>
File: beowulf-text1.png (27 KB, 613x281) Image search: [Google]
beowulf-text1.png
27 KB, 613x281
>>51667767
Anglo-Saxon also has a very Germanic/Nordic feel to it
>>
>>51667816
the primordial form of english existed before french words were ever added
>>
>>51667517
Pretty accurate, its hardly even a living language anymore
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.