[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What language(s) are you studying? How far along are you? Currently
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
What language(s) are you studying? How far along are you?

Currently studying Spanish, Weeb and Swedish. Proficient in none so far.
>>
nothing
google translation is the best
>>
>>51629054
Google translate is killing the interpretation industry.
>>
swedish
i am conversational
>>
>>51629054
Google translations are the best translations. An example of my Google translate fluency:

ある時は、私が誤ってシャワーで自分自身をたわごと、それはちょうどdrainhole下、はっきりと目に見える貼り付けたように私のような35分をドレインそれをかかとする必要がありました。

私は水ののmouthfulsを取得し、低ダウン曲げてまでmushedたわごとで高圧でそれを撮影していました。

男良いわけではありません。あなたは空気アップシャワーを開始するたびに私のたわごとを過ぎて出てくるだろうとバスルームがひどい悪臭を持っているでしょう。
>>
>>51629171
What got you into Swedish?
>>
>>51628867
French, Je parle un petit.
>>
>>51628867
Polish. I'm enjoying it. In about 6 weeks I'll be conversational.
>>
German
Japanese

Can read a bit of Japanese, listening comp and speech fluency are absolute shit.
Still chugging along German duolingo.
Will probably never be fluent in either, because I never leave my room, let alone travel to places where I can immerse myself in these languages.
>>
>>51629643
Your room is the best place to study language besides the actual country. How far along are you in the German Duolingo?
>>
>>51629608
That's awesome. What got you into Polish?
>>
>>51629643
I learned enough on my own (starting from info in the threads here) to take a class that goes to Japan next semester with a Japanese person teaching, but I still will have the same awkwardness as you until I use what I know with her or someone else fluent.
>>
I'm learning Japanese from my university and also a little bit from anime and on here, might co-op/get a job there someday
>>
German. Two years or so.
Still doing stupid shit like mixing English roots with German, and spamming Umlaute where I'm not supposed to ("Hünde" for example), but ich glaube, dass es schlimmeres gibt...

I wish I could get back into Polish and some minority Romance languages (mainly Occitan and Venetian), but well, one gets far more resources for DE than those...
>>
>>51628867
I'm studying italian.

I'm about a B1-B2 level. I need more confidence to actively improve my spoken italian.
>>
>>51630193
What do you need confidence for?
>>
>>51629694
Hard to say with German after the update fucked my shit up. Was almost halfway through or more, but now I'm at section 4.
>>
>>51630338
Glad I haven't been doing my German section.
>>
File: Screenshot_2015-09-09-13-08-36.png (97 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-09-13-08-36.png
97 KB, 720x1280
>>51629128
Anyone who uses google translate as an actual professional tool is fucking retarded.

This is a sentence that a Korean friend sent me. I didn't understand the whole thing so I threw it into google translate and this is the mush that google vomited back to me.
>>
>Finnish
haven't started yet desu
>>
>>51629784
Thanks man. I'm traveling to Poland next year. Will spend about 40 days in the country.
I want to able to talk to guys and flirt with girls.
What's funny is I'm having an easier time with Polish than I did with Spanish.
>>
Fluent arabic, conversational french, fluent English. Learning mandarin now and it's by far the hardest

Kill me
>>
Latin and Anglo-Saxon.

Still a beginner, although I think I'm quite good at them, considering what I've learned so far in classes.
>>
File: 790217.jpg (52 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
790217.jpg
52 KB, 640x400
>>51630546
Terve! Mitä kuuluu?
>>
>>51628867
Spanish. Intermediate I guess, can understand most texts but can't speak for shit.
>>
>>51630635
>anglo-saxon
You mean English?
>>
>>51630623
>mandarin
>harder than french
Nigga what? Chinese is so straightforward. With French, there are no pronunciation rules. It's just like, "let's pronounce 'vasquez' as 'purdue' and get away with it."
>>
>>51628867
Studying German. I'm about A2-B1 level. I took a college course a few years ago and excelled, then joined the army and lost a lot of my speaking ability. level 10 and in section 5 on Duolingo. Asked my wife to get me a grammar book for my birthday in a few weeks. Goal is to be fluent in the next few years. I'd eventually like to learn Finnish and a slavic language(Polish/Hungarian/Russian). I have trouble with German though because I work a lot so it's difficult to find time, but I do what I can. Also, no speaking partners because my German friend doesn't want to help me with my German.
>>
>>51630684
I think that Anglo-Saxon is a better way to differentiate between modern English and the English that the Anglo-Saxons spoke. When you call it Old English, people generally think of Ye Olde English, which is just archaic modern English.
>>
>>51630735
Try tones and 5000 characters to read a newspaper then come back to me
>>
>>51630890
>tones
>hard
Try learning kanji where the pronunciation of the character depends on the word.
>>
Spanish at B2 level. I want to get into German and a Slavic language. Currently debating between Polish and Russian
>>
>>51630735
>le Chinese is so straightforward meme
Bullshit tbqh
t. chink
>>
>>51631065
Mandarin is a very simplistic language, otherwise the Chinese wouldn't be able to communicate.
>>
>>51628867
>What language(s) are you studying?
I've been studying German since January

>How far along are you?
Pretty close to B2 proficiency. That's my goal for 2016. I can quite easy express my thoughts in written German and usually I don't make any serious grammatical errors.
>>
>>51631255
before 2016*
>>
Russian. Been studying on and off for 3 yrs but didn't get serious about it until a little over a year ago when I picked up Bulgarian while deployed in Afghanistan. I also took a month of leave during which time I traveled via train from Ulaanbaataar to St. Pete's - I dropped about $2k US in a strip club there like a dumbass but it makes for an awesome experiencence and a love for Russia that grows daily. Ceйчac pyccкий язык нe мнe тaк cлoжнo читaть. I also have a Russian teacher in Ukraine who gives me lesson weekly and she teaches in the target language which has drastically improved my listening skills, but she talks so much so I so I need to get my speaking skills up. Many Russians note that I have very clear pronounciation (пpoизнoшeния; sounds cool in Russian). I also need to boost my vocab.
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 462x579) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 462x579
>>51629538
>I speak one small
YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS UP
>>
speak spanish (native language) and english fluently

currently learning catalan and danish. proficient in none but learning
>>
>>51630635
where are you learning anglo-saxon, my man
>>
>>51631613
University. It's a fairly large one in Ontario. Not going to get more specific than that on 4chinz.
>>
>>51631766
fug i was hoping for online resources

good luck tho
>>
File: BIG LOAD.gif (762 KB, 336x206) Image search: [Google]
BIG LOAD.gif
762 KB, 336x206
Currently at uni studying Akkadian, I might continue Sumerian next semester. Both are difficult languages, one being Semitic and the latter being a language isolate (ie. we have nothing comparable to it, though it shares ergativity with some other uncommon languages like Basque). If you're willing to invest the time in them, it's very rewarding, especially since you'll be one of the only people on Earth right now able to decipher them.

Besides for English, I grew up speaking Korean. I also (used to be) fluent in French, back when I was actively learning and using it more, people said I was pretty close to native. I know a little Japanese, but I wouldn't be able to string much of anything together on my own.

>>51630477
Even if Google Translate worked properly for regular literary Korean, Koreans type in a way that's undecipherable at times anyhow.
>>
>>51631806
This is the book we use: http://www.amazon.ca/Introduction-Old-English-Peter-Baker/dp/047065984X

http://www.oldenglishaerobics.net/ - This is an online companion website by the same guy

Should be a good start. I would also recommend buying a translated version of Beowulf (I use the Broadview Second Edition version) and a copy of Beowulf in Anglo-Saxon/Old English (I use the Blackwell Publishing Revised Edition). After you learn the grammar and everything, it would be a good thing to translate and get experience with the language, since you would also have a translated version of the book, and a lot of other possible resources due to the popularity of it.
>>
>>51631829
Where the fuck would you even learn those languages? Also, isn't there barely any surviving written material with those languages? Interesting though.
>>
People that use duolingo tend to be studying languages forever, giving them up or switching from one to another. This is very simple and not serious method of studying.

Only a grammar book, a student book (a manual with a lot of exercises and lessons) can do their job. Do not also forget about at least minimal immersion provided by movies, Internet pages or tv in this language.
>>
>>51632034
At a university among crusty (albeit adorable) old professors. I currently live in the Midwest (not Chicago, though. I'm a computer science major, and Chicago's not so good for that).

The issue is that both languages kept changing throughout their time, and most of the written material we have are all around the same format, such as transactions, lawsuits, and hymns to the gods and kings. Because of that, our knowledge of either of the two are stilted or divided into specific subsets of which we don't have enough material for individually, and in the case of Sumerian, every academic who knows Sumerian basically has their own take on the grammar. Akkadian's pretty cut-and-dry, though. Try looking for Huehnegard's book on Akkadian grammar if you're interested.
>>
>>51629538
Peu*
>>
>>51631829
How could you be almost native in frencch and forgot it?
>>
>>51632224
I was thinking the same thing
>>
File: coffeeDad.jpg (66 KB, 499x768) Image search: [Google]
coffeeDad.jpg
66 KB, 499x768
>>51632224
Not using it at all for years. I tend to forget things rather quickly compared to some people too. I never felt like I was that close to native, though. I think that's just what some people said to me since I have the accent down pretty damn well and I had a respectable range of vocab at the time. If I brushed up a bit, I'd probably be back on the same footing as before.
>>
>>51630943
Sit in a corner and think about what you just said
>>
>>51628867

Forever studying French, forever only understanding about 60% of what I read 40% of what I hear.
>>
>>51630890
Not that poster, but as someone who studies Mandarin I feel you're overestimating it and jumping on the "CHINESE SO HARD" bandwagon. Tones are difficult at first and become manageable after a few months of study. As for the amount of characters you have to learn, there's no way around that but if you just study a few every day, you'll be fine. As a comparison, you didn't learn how to properly spell English words in a year or two - it was something you were taught for many years in school.

Everybody has different goals for learning a language as well - plenty of people I know who also study Mandarin have no interest in reading newspapers but rather just want to be able to talk to Chinese people about everyday life.

Newspapers and literature use very formal language, and to be honest, a good amount of people don't care about reading newspapers or reading literature in any language - even their own, and mostly use written language on social media to speak with friends about everyday matters.
>>
Native English and Mandarin speaker. I'm intermediate in German and beginning Ukranian.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.