[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
French was no way near this hard
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
French was no way near this hard
>>
>>51570815
How many times have you been raped?
>>
File: Le shiggy shrug.jpg (70 KB, 810x780) Image search: [Google]
Le shiggy shrug.jpg
70 KB, 810x780
>>51570865
>>
>>51570865
So viele
>>
>14 different "the"s and "a"s

>don'tdothatcostanza.jpg
>>
>>51570815
OP ist eine faggot.
>>
>>51570815
>tfw I can't explain any German grammar rules to foreigners
>tfw I'm just speaking proper German on the basis of a sentence sounding right and "natural"

Our language is fucked up and hard af to learn I'd imagine, can't deny that
>>
>>51571302
OP est un faggot desu
>>
>>51571480
Honestly the der, die and das is the worst imo. Why the fuck does a door or a train have to be either masculine, feminine or neutrum? Just get rid of grammatical gender like most other civilized Germanic languages have.
>>
>>51571302
Meinten Sie eine Schwuler, Schwede?
>>
>>51571480
>>51571616
There's no reason to decline articles either, as far as I can tell, since you could discern which words are in which cases based on sentence structure. Although, that's assuming Germans use the same sentence structure to express the same statement most of the time.
>>
>>51571616
I don't think there is an explanation for that.

I mean the word for girl (mädchen) is neutral, while the word for boy (junge) is masculine....
It makes no sense, but it just sounds right to us native speakers.
>>
>>51571616
swedish doesn't use gender? I thought English was the only Euro language advanced enough to drop it
>>
>>51571758
Technically we still use grammatical gender but it's rather rare and essentially being phased out.
>>
>>51571616
>Why the fuck does a door or a train have to be either masculine, feminine or neutrum?

It doesn't have to be, but it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnslSas5ZOQ

Left: manly door
Right: you
>>
>>51571480
I stopped learning german because of the declension desu, I like the language but I never could be arsed to remember all that bullshit.
>>
>>51571616
It not really the gender I mind on its own. I'd be ok with a language having either multiple genders of multiple grammatical cases. It's just the with German they combine to give you this massive multiplication table of declensions. I just find it amazing that a native German speaker would have 36 ways to decline a simple adjective like "green".

In English, "green" is "green" where ever it goes in a sentence.
>>
>>51572362
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't stuff like "city, cities" a form of declension?
>>
I absolutely hate all languages with articles. God created them to make Russians suffer.
>>
>>51570815
You're right, it's way harder. All the rules are fucked up and they're so many exceptions and unnecessary rules. The only shit that fucked me up with German was to know the difference between masculine, neutral and feminine of nouns.
>>
ITT: indo europeans arguing
>>
Eh, French has the much weirder orthography going for it, plus they have a lot more tenses/moods/multiplications thereof as well as random adjective placement, depending on, but not only, if the adjective in question is of Latin or Germanic origin
>>
>>51572698
Damn, ya got me
>>
>>51572698
Yeah, but I think declension to indicate plurality is much more useful than German article declension. Something's number is important info, whereas decline articles in German don't really provide necessary info, and plural variations aren't hard to know, since they're generally standard in a language and there's just one form of plural.
>>
>>51573476
>>51572698
Kek, now that you mention plurals, even they are random as fuck here (in English this only still exists in a few examples such as "ox" - "oxen" but here you usually never know)
>>
File: 1448798287133.png (77 KB, 280x261) Image search: [Google]
1448798287133.png
77 KB, 280x261
>>51571522
>Un faguette
>>
>>51573593
> they are random as fuck here
Could you give an example?
>>
>>51573720
Mann - Männer
Frau - Frauen
Stein - Steine
Garten - Gärten
There's just no system to it
>>
>>51571742
It does make sense since it's a diminutive ("-chen") of Magd/Maid and those are always neuter.
Now having genders at all makes very little sense but languages are entities and not constructs, so what can you do (except switch to Esperanto).
>>
>having gender based words at all
>>
>any year of our Lord
>not learning German watching anime on RTL 2

To think that we share the same website.
>>
>>51573913
>having 3000 characters
>>
>>51572821
Wait, there are languages without articles?
>>
File: 1420863203680.jpg (77 KB, 384x313) Image search: [Google]
1420863203680.jpg
77 KB, 384x313
>tfw both definite, indefinite and suffixed definite article
>>
>>51574509
Do you really have definite in front though? Or are you mixing it up with demonstrative?
>>
>>51573913
>chinese "language"
>>
File: image006.jpg (65 KB, 859x365) Image search: [Google]
image006.jpg
65 KB, 859x365
>>51573029
I kinda agree with this guy. French has a lot of exceptions. German may have a lot of rules, but it sticks to them pretty steadfastly. There is a certain Ordnung to the language.
>>
>>51573593
>>51573837
English has some irregular plurals, but maybe not as many as German. Geese, fish, oxen, knives, teeth, feet, children.

Many words that are borrowed from Latin or French tend to have irregular plurals, although the ones above seem pretty Saxon in origin. Although there's a growing tendency to use "s" to show plural even with Latin/French-origin words. e.g., antennae and antennas.
>>
File: VOM.png (268 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
VOM.png
268 KB, 800x800
>>51573913
>having tones
>>
>>51574267
Yes, just like there are languages without cases
>>
Why in the fuck would a language have cases AND articles?
>>
>>51570815
Better version for the faggot.
>>
>>51573913
>Shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi shi.
A valid Chinese sentence.
>>
File: tetris.jpg (38 KB, 327x315) Image search: [Google]
tetris.jpg
38 KB, 327x315
>>51578657
Thank you based Brazil bro. That diagram is fucking perfect.

There you have it. German declension is like playing tetris with word endings.

Now if only I had a colour printer. Hmm perhaps I could print it out using the photo printers at Boots.
>>
What happens if you speak german and just use neutral gender for everything?
does it matter that much?
>>
>>51579132
Go to a printer shop and ask them to print it on photo paper. Put it on your wallet and take with you.

>>51579176
As I speak a language with genders I can say that it would sound extremely weird.
I would understand you easily because we don't have cases, in the other hand I doubt a German would understand you so quickly because you are not using cases the proper way.
Cases are vital because it's how you indicate the objects of the sentence. In English you have prepositions for that.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.