[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>you is both singular and plural how can you (plural) live
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: images(2).jpg (10 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images(2).jpg
10 KB, 275x183
>you is both singular and plural
how can you (plural) live this nonesense? please make using a different word for singular popular again
>>
it's a babby language
>>
>>51560641
How about explaining är (is) and är (are)?
>>
>>51561004
not a personal pronoun. "the black cats" not "thes blacks cats". not necessary to have plural for everything
>>
There is no need
>>
It just works.
>>
you is plural?

lmao

us Texans are actually civilized, and invented y'all for the English speaking world.
>>
>he wants to remember one more word
if your autism is truly triggering you, just say "you guys" when you're addressing multiple people like the yanks do
>>
Use youse if it bothers you so much.
>>
use you'uns if you are so picky
>>
>>51561924
i
you
he/she
we
you guys
they

pls update english
>>
>>51562049
why are you acting as though this is a trait exclusive to english?
>>
>>51560641
Youse/y'all/yiz are all informal plurals though, used by many (if not most) English speakers.
>>
>>51562083
you mean third person singular and plural having the same word? or adding another word after the personal pronoun?
>>
Thou
Thee
Thine

Dont tell anyone you re germanic
>>
>tfw some tumblrites use "they" for a single person when they don't know how they ~identify themselves as and don't want to label people~
That had me fucking confused for a long while.
>>
>>51562186
>third person
it's second person isn't it? anyways, yeah that's what i mean. in french also you can refer to the second person has "vous" regardless of how many people you're referring to.
>inb4 there is "tu"
there is "youse" if you really must make this silly unimportant distinction but that word is pretty archaic/uncommon. nobody says it.
>>
>>51562369
that is a valid use of the word "they" btw.
>>
Of all the Germanic languages (excluding Afrikaans) English is definitely the most 'dumbed down':

loss of genders
loss of cases
loss of nearly all conjugations
loss of singular-plural distinction in 2nd person
loss of most synthetics in favor of analytics

Of course, they make up for this with an abundance in vocabulary, but still.
>>
>>51562369
>tumblites

But everyone does that
>>
>>51562387
yes of course i meant second, just a mistake. i didn't correct myself because i expected you to get my message anyway since you are probably an intelligent human being

i didn't act as if it is exclusive, though i don't expect it to be common in languages. english is the only one i know and can complain about
>>
>>51562709
lmao didn't mean to be a dick about it. english had it at one point but it got phased out over the years
>>
>>51562851
no worries m8, im not butthurt
>>
>>51562387
>youse
>archaic/uncommon
It's clear you've never lived in the UK lad
>>
>>51562458
I agree, but I would still never use it in a college paper, for example.
>>
>>51562387
>there is "youse" if you really must make this silly unimportant distinction but that word is pretty archaic/uncommon. nobody says it.

"Youse" is very common here in the UK. I think most speakers probably use it.
>>
>>51563613
>>51563742
google tells me it's common in a lot of places (mainly the old commonwealth and the UK). i stand corrected. still i'd say the number of people that use "youse" is lesser than the number of people that don't.
>>51563732
it's just easier to say "they" than "he or she" every time you're referring to that entity.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.