[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Teach me about the history, people and culture of South Africa.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1
Teach me about the history, people and culture of South Africa.
>>
WE
>>
>>51146087
no
>>
What do you want to know
>>
>>51146444
Fuck history, tell me about present:

1. Are you white?
2. Are Boers even remotely relevant today?
3. What is the difference between Boers and Anglos today? Farmers and city dwellers still?
4. Are whites still leaving?
5. Is affirmative action preventing or seriously damaging white folk's economic potential?
6. What's up with immigration form the north?
7. Why are whites still in SAR? Isn't it dangerous? I mean, I don't have to lock doors of my house... and I live in the capitol of my country I guess you don't have that luxury.
>>
>>51145143
these guys look so fucking ridiculous
>>
>>51148110
>1. Are you white?
yes

>2. Are Boers even remotely relevant today?
the culture? sure they make music and if you've ever tasted melktert you'd know whatsup. I'm Anglo/Swiss so I can't say that I know everything about them but their language is the 2nd most spoken in the country.

>3. What is the difference between Boers and Anglos today? Farmers and city dwellers still?
Basically this but 100 years ago. Today most Boer decedents live in the city as do the Anglos. Of course lots of Boers still farm (more than Anglos) but there are just more of them now, so they go inna city to get educated/different jobs etc. Farmings a lot of work and shit ya know?

>4. Are whites still leaving?
yeah but not at the same rate, those who have stayed have made up their mind (until the ANC changes the president again). Cowards IMO

>5. Is affirmative action preventing or seriously damaging white folk's economic potential?
I guess you could say it is damaging it a bit, but not nearly as much as the old system damaged black folk's economic potential.

>6. What's up with immigration form the north?
Price of success I guess. Zimbabweans are some of the nicest people I've ever met (black and white) obviously the lower class will always shit on immigrants bec "dey terk ur jerbs!" The whole issue hasn't been in the media lately so I cant tell you whats going on right now.

>7. Why are whites still in SAR? Isn't it dangerous? I mean, I don't have to lock doors of my house... and I live in the capitol of my country I guess you don't have that luxury.
Why should I surrender and leave the country of my birth? Say what you want about crime, I fucking love it here. Sure you have to lock your doors at night and build big walls and have a big dog and pay a private security company to protect your assets but I don't think anyone ever settled in Africa because it was safe.
>>
>>51148110
Boers/Afrikaners are not White because their small founder population had some Khoisan, Malay and Indian women in it, they are 6% Non-White.
>>
>>51146444

1. Does South Africa heavily adopt Western culture?
2. Is the white middle/upper class mainly living in suburbs? Or do they settle in rural areas too?
3. Music and other popular aspects of youth culture?
4. Are cliques mixed in terms of black and white children/teenagers? Do schools promote this by either keeping a decent balance in terms of race or are they often all-white or all-black?
5. How big of a taboo is public racism?
6. What is the general consensus on the ANC?
7. Can you tell me more about the youth culture?

Thanks.
>>
>>51149431
>1. Does South Africa heavily adopt Western culture?
yes

>2. Is the white middle/upper class mainly living in suburbs? Or do they settle in rural areas too?
Both, Google Howick KZN

>3. Music and other popular aspects of youth culture?
Yes lots of bands/rappers/night clubs

>4. Are cliques mixed in terms of black and white children/teenagers? Do schools promote this by either keeping a decent balance in terms of race or are they often all-white or all-black?
Cliques are up to the kids, mine back in HS was pretty mixed, we had an indian/cloloured, black white (anglo and Boer)
Middle class schools are pretty balanced but the more poorer schools are almost all black

>5. How big of a taboo is public racism?
It's pretty big man, think black people can get away with more though because of 'you know what'

>6. What is the general consensus on the ANC?
corrupt, ass kissers, lets vote for them anyway

>7. Can you tell me more about the youth culture?
I guess it's just like you'd find anywhere else, kids express themselves through the arts, gaming is pretty popular online here (lots of servers) too. Is there anything more specific you'd like to know?

>Thanks.
Pleasure <3
>>
>>51149431
SA is literally the failed spawn of dutch and uk
>>
>>51149896
A shame to see racism still holding back SA on so many aspects.

How does the youth view Western Europe and the USA? Is your media (news) centered around what goes on in Africa or rather about what is happening in Europe and the US?

I've noticed that countries that take after Western culture often lag behind varying from weeks to years in terms of culture and what is 'hip' in western countries. Is this the case in SA?

I'm not awfully familiar with SA music but I'm assuming the gang culture of the black youth goes hand in hand with music often associated with gangs? Could you recommend me some SA bands of the newer generation other than DA?

Does the new generation have the urge to leave SA to build up their future elsewhere or do they want to continue living in SA (possibly to help the country improve).

Last question sort of goes hand in hand with the previous one, but do any of the generations show a great deal of nationalism? I would assume any nationalism that was left is gone now that the people have lost faith in the ANC?
>>
>>51150777
>How does the youth view Western Europe and the USA?
Some Idolize it others despise it. But we follow the trends regardless

>Is your media (news) centered around what goes on in Africa or rather about what is happening in Europe and the US?
Media is centered around what goes on in SA more than anything else, its very proud to be free so it bashes the government at any chance it gets

>I've noticed that countries that take after Western culture often lag behind varying from weeks to years in terms of culture and what is 'hip' in western countries. Is this the case in SA?
in terms of fashion and music trends we follow, but not too far behind, then again there could be some amazing new dub trash out in the US that I don't know about yet

>I'm not awfully familiar with SA music but I'm assuming the gang culture of the black youth goes hand in hand with music often associated with gangs? Could you recommend me some SA bands of the newer generation other than DA?
Not at all, if you a criminal it means you are dirt poor and probably high on meth. the gangs over here are really rough and they originate from prisons. South African know enough about crime to know its really not glamours
Al bairre
Desmond and the tutus
gold fish
Knogos
freshly ground
the list goes on. there are so many good bands here, I suggest you just google South African Bands and move from there, the list has lots of good stuff

>Does the new generation have the urge to leave SA to build up their future elsewhere or do they want to continue living in SA (possibly to help the country improve).
I spent a few years in Switzerland learning french and doing my military service, and let me tell you that there is no place like home, I know quite a few people who have left and come back but I cant speak for everyone.
>>
>>51151574
1 - Are interracial relationships still a taboo in your country?
2 - Where do you live?
3 - What is the best city to live in South Africa?
4 - What kind of legacy has the World Cup left in your country?
5 - How does AIDS scare impacts young people's everyday life? Are you afraid to fuck a random girl?
6 - Are people able to speak English in urban areas or is Afrikaans/native languages knowledge mandatory to visit your country?
>>
>>51150777
>Last question sort of goes hand in hand with the previous one, but do any of the generations show a great deal of nationalism? I would assume any nationalism that was left is gone now that the people have lost faith in the ANC?

I'm a proud South African I know many people who wouldn't leave until shit goes Syria.
However if you are talking about the American: love your country, join the army patriotism. We have never had an outside threat. Would be interesting to see.

I'll answer more in a few hours. I got people coming over
>>
>>51152300
Not militarism or patriotism. Nationalism. More in the sense of pride for your country's culture and people. Your nature and accomplishments. Your politics and your sense of 'brotherhood' for others who share your nationality?
>>
>>51151574
I know i'm going to sound like a kek shitposters, but how often do you see interracial couples? Is it common like in brazil?
>>
>>51145143
>genuinezulumidsummer.jpg
>>
Do you love yolandi?

Why yolandi is so great?

Is yolandi the rat queen?

Can you post yolandi?
>>
>>51159326

She has AIDS.
>>
>>51159373
Shut up, dont think you are cute>>51159373
>>
I'm back after a few beers

>>51152556
not that often, a shame desu, I'm into black grills

>>51152036
>1 - Are interracial relationships still a taboo in your country?
no

>2 - Where do you live?
East London. Eastern Cape

>3 - What is the best city to live in South Africa?
Cape Town

>4 - What kind of legacy has the World Cup left in your country?
Big Stadiums that no one uses and the knowledge that FIFA jewed us

>5 - How does AIDS scare impacts young people's everyday life? Are you afraid to fuck a random girl?
yes I'm scared to fuck a random girl, but thats prob just me

>6 - Are people able to speak English in urban areas or is Afrikaans/native languages knowledge mandatory to visit your country?
A second Lang is mandatory at school. But like 98% of the country can communicate in English

>>51159326
shits for trash tbf
>>
What's the sentiment towards the British? I assume this depends on whether you are Boer?
>>
>>51160702
Not Afrikanse so cant say, never met an Afrikaner that is "racist" towards Anglos though

>>51152036

>1 - Are interracial relationships still a taboo in your country?

Coming back to this question, Many parents would tell their kids that they aren't allowed to date outside of their race groups (or even tribes). If I walked down the street with a black grill on my arm, I can guarantee you that I'll get more than a few double takes because its unusual.
However in my experience its never publicly shunned, but white folks would comment more and probably judge more, where's blacks would almost like the idea and smile/give high fives etc.

so i guess in short yes. it is taboo, but not in a S&M type way, more like in a 'Oh god they actually have sex' way
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.