[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should I buy american car? If yes, Dodge, Chevrollet of Ford?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13
File: maxresdefault.jpg (407 KB, 2784x1856) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
407 KB, 2784x1856
Should I buy american car?
If yes, Dodge, Chevrollet of Ford?
>>
>>51117748
>>
Ford is very reliable.

Also wait for Tesla to go viral.
>>
Buy Ford if you want a small car. They're not really known for that here, but apparently they are in Europe. Buy Dodge if you want a big one, and Chevy if you want an average sized.
>>
>>51117748
If you want a small car or a pickup truck then go with Ford. They're pretty good with cold environments since a big part of their core market is in snowy regions of North America and Europe.

If you want an SUV go for Jeep, best AWD off roaders you can get after Toyota. If you want a fun to drive sports car type deal I'd say go for Mustang or Camaro. Dodge is good if you want something over powered for cheap, but they don't handle as well as Ford or GM products. I'd say if you're looking at Chevrolet just skip the brand if you're not looking at the Camaro and just look at a Cadillac or Buick/Opel. They're mechanically related to Cheverolet but are nicer cars. What type of car are you looking for specifically?
>>
>>51117993
>>51118074
>>51118398
ford looks like shit
>>
>american "cars"
>>
>>51117748
American cars consume an ocean of gasoline. Not very efficient.
>>
>>51119825
>Chilean cars
>
>
>
>
>>
>>51119726
Buy a German car instead, then. I hear Volkswagens have very low emissions if that's your thing.
>>
File: shock.jpg (19 KB, 383x409) Image search: [Google]
shock.jpg
19 KB, 383x409
>>51118398
>go for Jeep
Wow you must really hate OP.
>>
File: twingo-1.jpg (429 KB, 1920x1226) Image search: [Google]
twingo-1.jpg
429 KB, 1920x1226
>not buying a twingo

shiggy
>>
File: tesla1_3400543a.gif (3 MB, 540x303) Image search: [Google]
tesla1_3400543a.gif
3 MB, 540x303
>>51119843
Literally the only presently commercially viable all-electric cars are produced in the US

>>51119961
This. VW has great emissions, especially for diesel. If there's one thing you can trust about Germans, it's their excellent engineering
>>
>>51120192
Wrong and that's not a good retort either
>>
>>51120192
>This. VW has great emissions, especially for diesel. If there's one thing you can trust about Germans, it's their excellent engineering
I'm pretty sure he was making a joke since VW has recently been all over the news because of the emissions scandal.
>>
File: grand_cherokee.jpg (933 KB, 1200x795) Image search: [Google]
grand_cherokee.jpg
933 KB, 1200x795
>>51120056
My grandfather got loaded Grand Cherokee last year. We've yet to get stuck anywhere and he purposefully tries to push it as hard as possible.
>>
File: german_engineering.png (532 KB, 724x446) Image search: [Google]
german_engineering.png
532 KB, 724x446
>>51119961
>>51120192
kek
>>
>>51119843
yes they did 20+ years ago, thank you for perpetuating the stereotype of anything beyond the iron curtain being stuck in the 90's

that being said why would you buy an american car op?
>>
>>51120409
>Wrong
That's an American car that consumes 0 oceans of gasoline, Marcel
>>
I'd get a ford focus ST if I was going to buy a new car
>>
>>51120755
I hope you're only joking

Please tell me you are
>>
>>51120527
What do you mean? Emissions on VW are great
>>
>>51120558
Hmmm. Maybe it's to do with the regions they're manufactured in, assuming they're manufactured anywhere outside of the US for foreign markets. Jeep here has an absolutely terrible reputation for reliability and after sales service.
>>
File: VW_stock.png (56 KB, 992x562) Image search: [Google]
VW_stock.png
56 KB, 992x562
>>51120929
Have you not been reading the news for the past 2 months or are you joking?

They got caught rigging their cars to only activate their emissions controls during testing. The I4 diesel VW engines were putting out literally 40 times the acceptable amount of pollutants under normal driving conditions.
>>
>>51117748
>Should I buy american car?
no

desu you should drive a Hyundai Sonata
>>
>>51120929
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_emissions_scandal
>it was found that the automaker had intentionally programmed turbocharged direct injection (TDI) diesel engines to activate certain emissions controls only during laboratory emissions testing.
Really? Has this not been in the news at all in Canada?
>>
File: 2015-rear-suspension.jpg (652 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
2015-rear-suspension.jpg
652 KB, 2048x1536
only if its made before 1972
>>
>>51121273
>but as far as I know they usually just replace them quick if you complain. Fiat-Chrysler parts are laughably cheap here.
It might be different for OP since he's outside the US. Like I said earlier ITT, here for example, Jeep has a horrible reputation for reliability and service. I'm thinking that maybe it's not a good idea to buy an American car if you live outside of America.
>>
File: 1425855235283.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1901) Image search: [Google]
1425855235283.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1901
no
>>
File: wat2.jpg (7 KB, 207x200) Image search: [Google]
wat2.jpg
7 KB, 207x200
>>51117748
>Dodge, Chevrollet of Ford
>Posts pic of Cadillac
>>
>>51120061
The Twingo is a very good car.
>>
>>51121040
Well Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge products are known for having fuckloads of electrical issues, but as far as I know they usually just replace them quick if you complain. Fiat-Chrysler parts are laughably cheap here.

RHD Grand Cherokees are built in Cairo, Egypt. US market LHD versions are built here in Michigan. I'm pretty sure they're of similar quality though. The parts are still predominantly American regardless of assembly point. Only major foreign components are the engines which are built in Mexico and the transmissions which are German.
>>
File: idtst.jpg (50 KB, 345x345) Image search: [Google]
idtst.jpg
50 KB, 345x345
>>51120061
>>51121452
>Two door
>>
>>51117748
I heard they are going to revive Plymouth.
>>
>>51120821
Tesla is a zero-emission electric car, dumbass.
>>
>>51121571
What do you have like a family to haul around?
>>
>>51121618
>american cars are gas guzzlers
>nuh huh we have this luxury electric car that not even 0.01% of the population owns

This is how fucking retarded you sound

Kill yourself
>>
>>51121744
American gasoline cars pretty similar fuel economy as European cars when they have the same engine displacements. The only difference is that Europeans typically buy their car with smaller displacement engines as fuel is more expensive.

A Cadillac ATS with a 2.0 liter turbo gasoline engine get's almost the exact same fuel economy as a Mercedes C-Class with a 2.0 liter turbo gasoline. The difference is that most Europeans would go for the lower displacement engines while most Americans would opt for the larger 3.6 liter V6 option.
>>
>>51121684
No, but moving seats everytime you need back seat access just sounds like a pain in the arse.
>>51121453
>Well Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge products are known for having fuckloads of electrical issues
I've heard about all sorts of problems they have. Such as:
>Dodgy fuel lines
>CC/AC breaks quickly/easily
>Turbo failure
>Various windscreen wiper problems
>Coolant leaks
>Ignition troubles
>Seatbelt tensioner issues
>Transmission failures
>but as far as I know they usually just replace them quick if you complain. Fiat-Chrysler parts are laughably cheap here.
Maybe so in North America, but again, Fiat-Chrysler's reputation for service has been forever tarnished here. There's literally a group of dozens of Jeep owners here that have been fucked over by FC when they tried to get their car's serviced or repaired.
Again, it could be that Jeeps are perfectly fine to own in North America and it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. But based on what I've seen and heard of them here you could not pay me to own one.
>>
>>51121744
A consumer-level (i.e., non-luxury) electric vehicle in the US costs about $30k, plus the government gives you about $10k in tax rebates.

There are plenty of people with EVs and the entire industry is about to boom.

Sorry you're going to be playing catch-up again, Michel.
>>
>>51122054
Haven't heard of seatbelt, coolant, ignition or turbo issues here. There's actually only one turbo Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler engine even available here and it's not common. The AC and transmission controllers are known issues though. Anything that involves electronics is bound to break by 80,000 miles. Most people here just put up with it here because the parts cost nothing and they're easy to fix, but if you don't have support nor easy access to parts it'd suck hard. We have that problem here with Audi vehicles.
>>
File: spy.jpg (44 KB, 700x525) Image search: [Google]
spy.jpg
44 KB, 700x525
>>51122013
Plus I'll bet you can replace the parts in a Caddie for a fuckload cheaper than you can a Merc.
>MFW even with US prices it's somewhere around $1100 per shock on a Benz.
>>
>>51122199
Renault already has a 22000€ electric car on the market, friend

>>51122013
True, I'm not denying that, jujst pointing out how idiotic the guy sounded

>>51122054
Such is the cost of having a compact car tbµ
>>
>>51117748
Dodge has one of the best infotainment systems.
The Ford Fusion is a good car.
Never buy one of GM's cheaper brands.

>>51121092
>Korean cars
>ever
>>
>>51122266
Tbh, I'm amazed that people that aren't rich even bother buying European cars. Yeah they're well made and they might be great to drive, but if you don't have the means to pay for parts and service they'll bankrupt you. Especially German cars.
>>51122330
>Such is the cost of having a compact car tbµ
Not necessarily. There are four-door options in the hatchback market. Although not too many if you're looking for second-hand. At least not here, anyway.
>>51122358
>>Korean cars
>>ever
lol, my brother drives a Kia. Even he admits it's not a very good car, but then he also got it for free, so can't really complain, either.
>>
>>51122503
I was only posting the twingo as a joke m8, obviously you shouldn't buy one
>>
>>51122555
Hey I've never actually driven one and I don't think I know anybody who has. For all I know you're being serious and they're actually a good car. I'm not going to dismiss a car just because it's small. I mean I'm looking for a car to buy right now and chances are I'll have to get something small for the time being.
>>
>>51122300
GM shit is cheap but they're starting to use higher quality parts now, especially on Cadillac models so the prices are starting to rise. Ironically Mercedes is increasing their manufacturing in the US and Mexico hugely so prices for Mercedes parts are decreasing dramatically. All the ML/GLE/GL/R/C Classes sold in the US are built here now, and currently some of the E/CLS/S Class models are built from CKD kits in Mexico. They're also going to start building the A/B/CLA and GLA in Mexico soon too. In 10 years or so Cadillac and Mercedes will probably have similar running costs.

>>51122300
>>MFW even with US prices it's somewhere around $1100 per shock on a Benz.

Unless that's for an S-Class equipped with Magic body control or one of those heavy duty units the Offroad package GL or G wagen has, then you're being ripped off big. Here you can get an E-Class shock for about $290.
>>
File: 4.jpg (311 KB, 1200x1920) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
311 KB, 1200x1920
>>51121422
SUPREME MEME
>>
>>51122678
Well I mean if you don't mind only 2 doors and having an entire arms workout every time you have to turn, it's a good little car that won't fail to attract attention

There certainly are much better options though
>>
>>51122839
>Unless that's for an S-Class equipped with Magic body control or one of those heavy duty units the Offroad package GL or G wagen has, then you're being ripped off big
Tbh I couldn't tell you which one it was for. I just remember seeing a video of an American mechanic with some 30+ years experience talking about how pricy it was for the shocks on this specific model he was working on. I can look for it if you want.
>>51122934
>having an entire arms workout every time you have to turn
Wait. They don't have power steering?
>>
>>51123018
Most probably do, but my friend's didn't

Was a good laugh whenever he drove us somewhere
>>
>>51123090
Maybe it was just a broken power steering pump or something like that. It just seems really hard to picture a car built in the last 20 years that doesn't have it.
>>
>>51123121
>built in the last 20 years
The first one was built in 1993 so there's that

I don't know tbµ
>>
>>51123204
Pretty sure that even my mum's shitty old 1986 VK Holden had power steering. So I'd be amazed to find a later model European car without it.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.