[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This seems very odd to me. Someone explain why this is so: Number
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /int/ - International

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: 1355593197807.jpg (65 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1355593197807.jpg
65 KB, 500x500
This seems very odd to me. Someone explain why this is so:

Number of cities over 1 million population in the EU: 18

Number of cities over 1 million population in the USA: 10

Number of cities over 1 million population in Russia: 14
>>
>make a thread for serious discussion about countries and culture
>no one replies

fucking dicks
>>
>>51001362
>serious discussion

this is not serious, it's a simple concept you can't wrap your head around because american education is shit
>>
>>51001951
FUCK YOU
>>
So?
>>
>>51001317
Russia is very developed in comparison with this EU-slime. I can't wait Romania to leave this crap.
>>
>>51001317
My two cents:

The USA are a single country, so rural people migrating to large cities have an easier time going to an already large city. So you'll have less large cities, but the few ones will be larger.

The EU is the exact inverse.

Russia is the odd one here; it "should" be like USA in this regard, but I guess Russian imperial gov, and then the Soviets, and then the New Regime always "encouraged" [sometimes by force] people to move to sparsely inhabited lands.
>>
>>51001317
because people in russia would rather live in the cities than in the freezing cold?
>>
Probably because of commidblocks
>>
>>51001317
Russia is by and large an inhospitable place, so it makes sense that people would gravitate toward cities. The USA is less so, and agriculture was what kept the economy going for a long time. People only started really moving to cities after the industrial revolution. European countries have little area, so the people would likely move to the city to have a better chance of succeeding.
>>
>>51001317
why it seems odd to you?
>>
>>51001317
>Number of cities over 1 million population in the USA: 10

I really doubt this is true. Australia has 5 cities with over 1 million each
>>
Shove a bunch of countries together in close proximity and their bound to develop their own urban centers.

>>51002894
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_population
Just barely true.
>>
>>51002894
Australia is quite smaller than the USA if you ignore the desert as inhospitable land.
>>
>>51001317
because the definition of a "city" is arbitrary as fuck and varies between regions

if you go by urban area as has clearly been done in russia, eu has 50-100 cities with 1m+
>>
>>51003030
We have 24 million ppl, they have 320+ million.
>>
EU and Russia are old world countries. Especially for europe, read up on the growth of medieval cities, as a result of city rights and serfdom, and so on.

Also, yeah, the usage of dense infrastructural planning (commieblocks, city/village, less towns) in europe and russia vs. towns and wide suburbs in usa influences population density distribution (just look at that "average house size" chart that gets posted around here)

Not to mention, 1 million is an arbitrary cut off, with a lot of cities in the 800k and 900k, a distribution function would be much more telling.

>>51002645
you do know that russian peasants were more or less barred by law to move to cities pre-1861, right?
And that Russia had a large agricultural sector, before industrialising far later than USA...
>>
>>51003311
>EU is a country

fuck me, it's too early in the morning, I accidentaly an american.
>>
>>51003259
This

Pic related, Milan

The part circled in red is what we consider the city (1.4 million)
>>
File: Milan_at_Night.jpg (3 MB, 2832x4256) Image search: [Google]
Milan_at_Night.jpg
3 MB, 2832x4256
>>51003401
Fug, da pic
>>
How much in China?
>>
>>51003030
Yeah but we have like 14x the population of Australia
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.