[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good resources on traditional painting? No matter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: 1466089215395.jpg (104 KB, 1200x768) Image search: [Google]
1466089215395.jpg
104 KB, 1200x768
What are some good resources on traditional painting? No matter how many books and videos about rendering I see it always seems like people are patching together random colors when they paint
>>
What do you mean by patching?
>>
>>2596095
Like, they take yellow and green and red and somehow it makes a face. I never understood how they pick out those colors, just "red goes with green, make things darker to look more 3d"
>>
>>2596111
Iearn how light works and brush up on your perspective that's all you need to do
(Also when it comes to painting blending is about 60% of the process)
>>
>>2596127
I'm not talking about blending, just how people pick those colors, like shit how do I know adding a green patch on this face makes it look like it was shaded blue?
>>
>>2596129
Again, learn how light works. Specifically, I'd recommend the book "Color" by David Hornung. It is comprehensive on the subject, indispensable really. That will answer all your questions, how to mix paint, how to pic colors of certain hues and values, and so on.

And if you've already read that, I dunno dude try painting yourself instead of just watching people and being baffled by it.
>>
>>2596050
Maybe try doing the color charts in Richard Schmid's Alla Prima book. Then do a bunch of still life paintings and refer to the charts to see which color to mix.
>>
>>2596145
i second this. reading all of alla prima really opened my eyes and changed the way i think about painting/choosing colors. of course it won't really click without trying things out for yourself.
>>
>>2596050
youre supposed to study values for years then move to colors
>>
File: a.jpg (124 KB, 600x642) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
124 KB, 600x642
TLDR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS8QkZrm5h8

There are three stages to mixing a colour.
>Mixing the pure hue
>Adjusting the chromacity
>Adjusting the value

Once the desired colour is determined, pick the closet two tubes to the target hue at maximum saturation and mix. Then slam the complement into it to desaturate it, lastly modulate with black or white to adjust the value.

Assuming we have the tubes red-blue-yellow and want to mix a half value almost neutral orange. The pigments used would (in order) be red-yellow-blue-white.

Hues have varying values, rather then tinting or shading a existing hue, you can shift the hue to darken and lighten the value. Rather than tinting a orange mixture, warm it with some yellow. Cool to darken., it just looks better. (5:00 into video)

>>2596050
Be careful when using resources on a digital screen. Find the Munsell Book Of Colour at a library (or buy one if you have 1000$ kicking around) because those printed and glued strips will look different then what any monitor can represent correctly. the sRGB (read: What these lovely screens can reproduce) gamut is different then the physical pigment gamut.

>>2596175
You are fucked in the head. It's a holistic process restricting to simply values will impede knowledge of how hue effects value.
>>
>>2596299
post your work faggot
>>
One effective method is color matching. You use a color matcher (it could be a mail clipper). You mix the paint to the color of your subject and then u put a dab on the color checker. Hold it up to the subject. If it matches, brush it on.

80% of a traditional painter's work is dive on the palette, mixing colors. Very little time is spent actually brushing.

Soon you will develop an instinct for color mixing.
>>
>>2597179
It's true, but I wouldn't say 80%, more like 80% of their interest (maybe even more), so much that sometimes they don't develop their drawing/measuring and end with a painting that's not so good

As long as you get the color shape as you see it, the right size and position relative to the other shapes, your painting is going to end well

I've already done some paintings and a couple weeks ago finished reading Alla Prima (amazing book). I've realized that many things I developed instinctively are recommended there, got some great tips like a bigger palette instead of just ybrw for easier color mixing, using washes of color, different approaches to edges, and will do the color thingys starting tomorrow. I'm very interested in seeing how my eyes will develop even further
>>
>>2597182
Definitely, if you're painting over a shit drawing or can't draw, you're in trouble. But I was always surprised how much time I spend on the pallet--like 10 minutes or so, for maybe a dozen brush strokes.
>>
File: Colored Cube Illusion.Gurney.jpg (44 KB, 800x461) Image search: [Google]
Colored Cube Illusion.Gurney.jpg
44 KB, 800x461
>>2596129

Like in pic related, how the red and green cubes are painted with the same colour of paint but look completely different because of their context?
>>
>>2597202
Colors are relative to each other and the light they're receiving

In the left drawing every color has a bit of red, in the right drawing every color has a bit of bluish green. The square is made with red and blue in both paintings (bluish in red light, redish in blue light), yet the surrounding ones are not (red, yellow, white in red light of course are different than blue light)
>>
>>2597202
Grays in particular are highly influenced by the colors around them. A pure gray tone will look warm in a predominately cool image. And it will look cold in a warm image. In this case the gray is a very desaturated red. Or a gray with a tiny bit of red in it. Since green is a compliment of red it is probably emphasizing the bit of red that is in the gray, in the right image. In the left image it is probably reading as green because the image is so red-heavy. Though it really looks more like a cerulean green-blue than an actual green. There are no actual greens in that image. If there were some true greens then that gray "green" would probably lose a little of its greenness and look even more towards cerulean. If it is supposed to be a scene with a reddish light then it wouldn't make sense to have true greens though.
>>
>>2597202
Also the square being surrounded by red in one image pushes it towards the greens. In the other image, surrounded by greens, is pushed towards the red.
>>
Elements of Color: Johannas Itten
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.