[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I plan to start making illustration portfolio specially aimed
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: poxnora-kanencrone.jpg (52 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
poxnora-kanencrone.jpg
52 KB, 800x600
I plan to start making illustration portfolio specially aimed for card games. Though probably I don't have enough skill to land jobs in big card games like magic the gathering and legend of the cryptids, heartstone, I will be able to do the standard of some smaller card games; poxnora, spellweaver, hex to name a few. Do you have any tips on what illustrations should I make, or what ratio should I use. Please don't say obvious research the companies and do what they do, because I plan to do that. But maybe you guys can help me with tips what helped you on your journey.
>>
>>2558786
Well you already said the obvious which is to do some research which is the best thing.

I've done work for small card companies and some things to keep in mind:
-the pay isn't great so try to work efficiently. This may mean using photos at some point in the process, or having organized layers and clipping masks, whatever works for you.
-get a clear value read/composition because they are often viewed very small
-get some variety in what you show, like maybe have some character pieces with different design, a card that shows a spell or action etc
-a small portfolio of strong pieces is better than a large one with inconsistent pieces
-I don't think the ratio matters as different games have different formats
>>
>>2558786

make a lot. quantity looks professional. don't overthink the work itself, these types of illustrations don't need to be masterpieces. they need primarily to have a good read and efficient use of contrast. other than that, yaeh make a lot. try to have 25+ illustrations. you don't have to show all but when your hiring dude scrolls down and sees that there's a ton of work, he'll immediately think of you as a seasoned veteran.
>>
>>2558792
Thanks!
I know it isn't much money, but we must start somewhere
How short are the deadlines?
>>2558800
As far as I know, quantity with quality looks professional. That aside I know they don't have to be masterpieces that take 40hours to finish and I plan to make around 20 pieces to send. Thanks for advice :)
>>
>>2558821
>How short are the deadlines?
Usually you have at least a few weeks up to a couple months. But often you will have several assignments at once with that same deadline, and that's just the one company, never mind if you do lots of work for different companies at the same time.

The bigger issue is how much time you want to dedicate to each image based on pay. You don't want to be working for less than minimum wage.

>I plan to make around 20 pieces to send
That's too many. I would do half that, maybe even less if you want to keep the quality really consistent. You can get work with a portfolio that only has like 6 or 7 pieces if they are good.
>>
>>2558800
>dude scrolls down and sees that there's a ton of work, he'll immediately think of you as a seasoned veteran.
lol no
just have some variety to show what specific style you can do. always focus on the quality
>>2558792
>-get a clear value read/composition because they are often viewed very small
this is very important. artist with good understanding of composition is hard to come by in this industry. most of them focus too much on rendering which often turns their work into a cluttered mess of sparkling effect with no real value (e.g. sakimichan style)
>>
File: KevWalker.jpg (64 KB, 640x502) Image search: [Google]
KevWalker.jpg
64 KB, 640x502
>>2558870
>most of them focus too much on rendering which often turns their work into a cluttered mess of sparkling effect with no real value (e.g. sakimichan style)
>mfw looking at shit composition that is overrendered and with bad values
>>
Not OP but I'm also planning to make some portfolio pieces for card work. Should I post progress here as a barometer?
>>
>>2561794
Why not? Post your WIPs here and people can tell you if you are off course for this type of work, or if you are not yet at the level to start going pro.
>>
>>2561809
Alright I'll do it. When I have some wips to show I'll make my own thread rather than hijacking this one.
>>
>>2558786
>Poxnora
Good taste op. Poxnora is fantastic
>>
>>2558786
>>2561840

Speaking of Poxnora, does anyone know if they have an art drop off email? Or an art director to email? I couldn't find anything on their site on how to contact them, and googling I couldn't find who art directs there.
>>
>>2558786
can you post your work?
>>
>>2564861
flash me
>>
>>2558878
huh? I think this is decent.
>>
>>2558878
Theirs nothing wrong with that piece.
>>
>>2565426
>>2568610
I posted that piece as an example of something simple that is superior to overrendered garbage. And the guy in it is in a pit of goo with smoke coming out of his mouth so I thought it was a good reaction of pain....guess I am not very good at communicating though, sorry.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.