[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw you start to think about all the money you'll have
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: charles--z.jpg (171 KB, 372x600) Image search: [Google]
charles--z.jpg
171 KB, 372x600
>tfw you start to think about all the money you'll have to make doing art just to get into the black from all the money you've spent on art supplies you've bought that weren't even strictly necessary to learn.

I'll need to make about $10,000 and I'm years from making any money with my art. A-at least I didn't go to art school?
>>
>>2557773
Money you've bought art supplies with? Dude what?
Digital is kind of the norm for serious artists now for a reason. Did you buy like, paint and canvas and stuff? Pollock that stuff fast and buy a Wacom with what you get from it
>>
>>2557773
10k? I'm with >>2557780 , what did you spend it on dude?
>>
>>2557780
>>2557784

Surface Pro 4, Cintiq 22hd, fountain pens and inks, a ton of copics, a lot of pencils, moleskine notebooks, every brush pen you can buy, software, etc. Small purchases add up, brah.
>>
>>2557809

oh and I've got a Cintiq 27hd in the cart because the 22 is too small and I scratched the screen pretty bad but I've got to wait a few weeks to save the money
>>
>>2557780
not the op, but whats wrong with traditional? I don't see the money I spend on supplies as something I have to "get back" because it sounds silly to me, but there are plenty of "serious" artists who work only in traditional mediums. I would like to get used to digital but I just can't, focusing on a screen for a lot of time hurts my eyes, the feeling of the stylus is different, etc
I guess I could get used to it but I simply enjoy trad. more
>>
gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>2557824

Traditional is dieing as a way to make money, most companies want the flexibility and workflow of digital.
>>
at least you didn't do art school OP
>>
>>2557824
>I don't see the money I spend on supplies as something I have to "get back" because it sounds silly to me.
Then you clearly don't understand how a business works and wont be making money you live off with your art. If you work to get money (rather than mommy and daddy getting it for you) then where the fuck do you think those supplies to make art will come from? The sky? That's all billed into your work when you quote jobs or decide how many jobs you need to take on. Supplies, rent, food, heat, electricity, etc.

>>2557773
If this thread is serious then OP's problem is he went out and bought a bunch of expensive shit he didn't need like a moron. Don't buy top of the line shit before your even good enough to make money off it. If the work your making is shit you don't need A+ supplies and equipment to do it. It's not professional quality tools that make you a pro, that's NEET tier logic.
>>
>>2557773
I spent $1,200 on a tablet PC and made it back on my first gig.
>>
>>2557833

I'm pretty sure that overall you'd spend less on gouache + brushes + paper than on electricity from cintiq + computer unless you are some fuck that sculpts oil paint.
>>
>>2557833
maybe I had to word it better, I mean the supplies I buy while in the process of learning new stuff and such, which I assumed is what Op meant, since he said he's not good enough to sell stuff yet. I also don't spend too much or more than what I need for art supplies, will probably spend more when I can afford it and I will be sure to not waste anything on a mediocre piece
>>
File: 1465479015410.jpg (25 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1465479015410.jpg
25 KB, 600x600
>>2557829
Not true at all. You're full of shit.
>>
>>2557894
Not him, but it is, my friend. Not as in "it won't exist," but in any illustration job, common traditional media has already come and gone. If you work professionally in art, you're a digital artist. If your art is an investment, you're using a wacom. OP is in a tough spot if he thinks he can transform 10,000 USD of art supplies into 10,000 USD of realistically marketable art

>>2557850
I take it you don't paint much?
>>
>>2557906
>but in any illustration job, common traditional media has already come and gone.
Pleb detected, just because IC thinks all game/entertainment industry jobs are digital doesn't mean it's true. Plenty of traditional artists out there making bank.

lol
>>
>>2557906
>any illustration job, common traditional media has already come and gone
Do people on /ic/ really believe this? Wew. You need to get out more, start looking at illustration annuals, different artists, different branches of illustration. There's a lot of traditional artists still, and they probably outnumber digital artists.
>>
Oh look it's another "/ic/ assumes that all professional art is concept art" thread.
>>
>>2557780
>Digital is kind of the norm for serious artists
Fine Arts is done almost 100% traditionally.
>>
>>2557988
I assume that but what's the truth?
>>
>>2558022
Fine artists aren't serious artists. They're mentally ill fruitcakes masquerading as artists

https://www.youtube.com/v/I9lmvX00TLY
>>
Prime example why this board is full of fuckin' amateurs I swear to our shared father in the deep blue sky.
>>
File: 1462406803284.jpg (108 KB, 685x600) Image search: [Google]
1462406803284.jpg
108 KB, 685x600
>>2558031
nice bait f a m
>>
>>2558022
>Fine Arts is done almost 100% by using household items and gluing them together with superglue, then urinating and defecating on them

ftfy
>>
>>2558061
the one baiting is you senpai
>>
>>2557773
I've spent under £800 on art.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.