[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
some artist drama for you, Dave Rapooza about Anthony Jones
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60
shots fired
>>
>>2555940

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2131695070/heavens-hell-the-art-book/description

Holy shit.
>>
What happened with the book? Didn't AJ released the PDFs and allowed refunds? Or it's some other book? Why do I care at all? He's a hack anyway.
>>
>>2555943
I have no idea, I just remembered he was on the collective podcast long time ago talking about how the books were done

then learn squared happened, getting money from people while professionals get money to learn new stuff
>>
>>2555942
Dave posted this because of people asking him to get a refund like Dan got

>Hey, this is Dan Warren again. A total of 23 people have reached out to me since last month asking me if i can secure their refund from Anthony for them the way i got mine years ago. I can't. Anthony, the absolute least you can do is read these comments and respond to them individually yourself. That doesn't cost you anything but a couple of hours before bed. I do it daily. It's easy. The fact that you are ignoring everyone is causing them to come contact people who barely even know you like myself and Mike in the hope that we can either convince you to give them their money or explain your behavior for them. respond to everyone individually, here, publicly. they believed in you. They've earned it. Not being able to afford mass refunds all at once is one thing, I can find a way to maybe understand that. but straight up ignoring people who have believed in you, financed you, and forgiven you consistently for 3 years is absolutely shameless.
>>
File: 1464514543737.gif (116 KB, 277x400) Image search: [Google]
1464514543737.gif
116 KB, 277x400
>>2555940
>people trusted a nigger
>>
Just find his address and break a couple windows or something
>>
Eh, take money and don't deliver hoping that time will cover it? Anthony fucked up.
>>
>>2555943
>Why do I care at all?

Maybe somewhere in the future you might be a successful artist and you consider creating an artbook and finance it via crowdfunding. But because other well known artists have shamelessly scammed their fans before, people have become wary and as a result, you don't get the necessary support to make it happen.

Artists who try to move on from client work to make a living with their own personal projects, whatever those may be, are for the most part relying on the goodwill and support of their fans. If other artists poison that well, that sort of thing becomes more difficult for everyone.
>>
>>2555940

Well, he is absolutely right. I hate internet niggers, if I could I would make international agency that would be deployed to deal only with things like drone bombing houses of "Breeding Season" developers or hunting down the lazy fuck that makes "Princess trainer".

Could be deployed in 24h from any place of the world and specially trained agents would eliminate scammers before the damage would spread.
>>
nigger
>>
>>2555940

Based Dave at it again.

I can see why Luvisi's gf left him for Dave.
>>
>>2555943
>Why do I care at all?
Clearly this >>2555974

Making a living through crowd funded work alone is tenuous. I know a lot of artists out there survive by selling at conventions and doing kickstarter project so it's a viable option but a relative new one. (kickstarter anyway) You don't need idiots like Jones adding any more doubt to the general public that what they fund might never develop into anything.

If anyones kept up with how Dan and Dave have been running the Steve Litchman kickstarter you'd see how dedicated they are to getting that product out and moving forward making more products funded by kickstarter. The idea being to start their own publishing company that pays enough to live off of, an idea lots of other artists share. If you get too many morons like Jones pulling fast ones the site could get an unfavorable rep amongst normies as a place to throw your money away and one of the best new options for independant artists, or any artist really, to make a living will go away.

On top of all this people who make money from crowdfunding could eventually help drive up fee's for freelance. If enough good artists are making decent money doing these types of independent projects companies might eventually have to pay more to peel them away from their projects and in turn raise the generally accepted rates for the rest of us. However unlikely anything that pays artists more is generally good for everyone in the long run.

At the very least Jones should be publicly banned from kickstarter. After that give him a chance to refund or face criminal charges. Something should be done to dissuade others from doing the same in the future. A lot of game companies already seem to abuse the platform.
>>
Meh, I stole some tutorials of his, se we are even. I forgive him for stealing from other people.

His tutorials are shit btw.
>>
I'd take 55,7k in exchange for internet hate any day, lol.
>>
>>2555987
is that true lol?
>>
>>2556017
Yup, she is hot btw.
>>
>>2555987

LuVisi always set off my cuck radar. Something about his endless stream of cat pictures...
>>
>mfw he is creating courses, workshops around the world and gumroads so he can pay back the money he already spent from his kickstarter
>Mfw backers are basically paying themselves
Top kek
Anthony jewnes back at it again
And the worst thing is that he didn't fix that fucking nose man
>>
>>2556011
Eh, 55k one time might be nice but if he's ruined his rep for doing kickstarters the amount he could of made over the course of this life using that platform could have been significantly more.

Outside of being a NEET a one time 55k payday ins't that much money. It wouldn't take you long to go through it.
>>
>>2555940
>I'm not trying to throw him under the bus, I'm saying that he lives under the bus
wew, damn son
>>
>>2556011
Then you're a short sighted fool because as an established industry professional, your reputation and credibility is worth far more than 55k, which is barely a years worth of salary.
>>
>>2555940
I would say he stole the bus like any other nigger
>>
>>2556028
>>Mfw backers are basically paying themselves

You mean they're paying him more money, and it is for attending courses and workshops

If backers were paying themselves then they wouldn't see any net change in the amount of money they have
>>
>>2555940
Awwwww he deleted it
Would like to be in that livestream to watch him trying to explain where all that money went to
>>
>>2555987
Luvisi is a blackshading fag anyway.
>>
I kind of get who Rapoza and Luvisi are but who the fuck is Anthony Jones? same as Android Jones, who painted faces with the dick brush is PS or whatever?
>>
>>2556115
No no, Anthony Jones aka Robotpencil is another guy. He's not "android" jones. The guy you're thinking of.

In all honesty outside the small niche art circles of gaming and concept art online social media no one knows who the hell any of these people are, so it's understandable.
>>
>>2556125
>small niche art circles of gaming and concept art online social media
It's still niche I guess but not really that small any more. There's literally millions of people involved.
>>
File: 1434932289382.png (38 KB, 200x160) Image search: [Google]
1434932289382.png
38 KB, 200x160
>>2556031
>a one time 55k payday ins't that much money
>>
>>2556106
>blackshading
didn't get that vibe when I met him

>>2555987
well, Dan is an autist, what did you expect
>>
>>2556007
he comes off as a more "look how good I am, work hard and be on my level" instead of a guy that teaches you stuff
>>
>>2556165
it isn't, trust me

>>2556067
according to Mac Smith and Emerson Tung commenting on Dave's new post, that probably won't happen
>>
>>2556165
It certainly isn't nearly enough of a payday to make up for the consequences of ruining your credibility in an industry you want to keep working in.
>>
>>2556185
>won't happen
How can it not happen?
Does he really thinks no one will ask for an explanation?
The question will be asked for sure, and if he doesn't answer it he is just gonna make an hero professionally
>>
>>2556194
>want to keep working in.
Maybe he just wants to go back to plumbing
Once plumber always plumber
>>
>>2556197
>look guys I've been through some financial problems and spent the money

he probably won't say that because of the Learn Squared and Croatia thing

>look guys the books are here with me, I'm just trying to get everything sorted to send you guys, hopefully in the next month

that's probably what he'll say and he'll probably not ship them again

>>2556018
Dan's new gf is also hot
>>
>>2556216
>Look guys I didn't want to make this public but turns out I got nose cancer and had to spend the money in hospital bills
Awwwww it's alrighty Tony senpai
>Makes a gofund me campaign
>>
>>2555940
>not getting the book thrown at him for theft

Is he white or looks white?
>>
>>2555965
Fuck off twat.
>>
>black person screws some over they are a nigger
>white personal screws someone over, nothing

What is the appropriate word to use in that case?
>>
>>2556264
Who is that white person that screw some of us over and we didn't get mad about it?
>>
>>2556264
Nigger.
>>
>>2555940
>>2556244
>>2556264
Nigger.
>>
>>2556274
Top kek
>>
>>2556264
>What is the appropriate word to use in that case?
Nigger
>>
>>2556264
we're in a post racial society. You can unironically call white people niggers and I do that everyday.
>>
>>2556553
>post racial society
>people actually believe this
>>
>>2555965

kek he's a hack

around hacks never relax
>>
Oh wow
>>
>>2556206
It's-a me, Anthony!
>>
>>2556197
>How can it not happen?
>Does he really thinks no one will ask for an explanation?
Because he did the exact same thing last time this was a thread.
Someone publically spoke about this, he said "this weekend on stream", but it was never addressed because everyone had forgotten
>>
Class action lawsuit when?
>>
File: trust me.jpg (203 KB, 1712x1712) Image search: [Google]
trust me.jpg
203 KB, 1712x1712
It's just $50,000. Stop making such a big deal about it!
>>
>>2556787
The problem is it wouldn't be worth it. By the time you hire a lawyer and get all the people to sign on you'd be lucky to get back 40 cents on the dollar. He knows no one that got screwed has enough power or motivation to do anything about it so he's just ignoring it. He also knows his employer doesn't care and it wont effect his in house or freelance jobs.

He'll probably even wait a few years and then just do another kickstarter. Yeah, sure it's fraud but it's in that gray area where it's clear he is breaking the law but it's not really worth it to do anything.

Be on the look out, 2 years from now Anthony Jones Art book Mk, II. Hitting shelves 2018.
>>
File: aj.jpg (77 KB, 471x600) Image search: [Google]
aj.jpg
77 KB, 471x600
>>2556820
I'm surprised Kickstarter doesn't have a third party legal team to deal with these kinds of situations, the more people that get screwed over like this the worse it is for their brand.
>>
A valuable lesson about trusting non-Whites.
>>
>>2556837
The internet moves too quickly for anyone to really concentrate or care about KickStarter scandals.
>>
Looks like he just updated.
>>
>>2555940

> Anthony spent the first year of his college life drawing almost 16 hours a day.
> He was not an artist, but he was committed to becoming one.
> He practiced everything and looked at everything with an objective and non-biased opinion on what “art” should be.
> Also, the Internet was around for him to exploit and use as another tool to learn and educate himself.
> He did everything he could possibly think of to improve his skills: attending classes, workshops, and events.
> Five years later Anthony is now an accomplished artist and teacher.

Truly the Hero /ic/ deserves...

So, I went to Amazon to look at the comments for the book and found this gem:

> So, I looked on Amazon and found the book here for less than it was selling for at the Con. SCORE!

... but not the one we need right now.

So basically:
> You're a backer, you got nothing
> You're buying at the con, you've your book
> You're buying from Amazon, it costs even less and you've your book

This is really the way to treat your fans. Maybe those 16 hours a day at getting gud didn't leave him the time to understand some very basic things.
>>
>>2555940
Pew pew pew
>>
File: windy nigga.gif (1 MB, 370x288) Image search: [Google]
windy nigga.gif
1 MB, 370x288
>>2556886
>He's selling the books that he published and had shipped to his residence entirely with kickstarter backer money to random con goers

HOLY FUCKING SHIT THIS GUY IS INCREDIBLE
>>
OY VEY!
>>
>>2555940
do you think there could something going on that nobody knows about?
>>
>>2555980
is there breeding season drama? please do share.
>>
>>2557034
with rapoza and aj? this >>2555947
with aj? rapoza and dan speculate that he probably spent the money and is too nervous to talk about in public
>>
Why do people even bother to still use kickstarter? There are so many games and projects that are either completely stalled or obviously turned into failures that had their money funneled into other non-related purposes.
>>
>>2557097
Its only viable use at this point is basically a preorder service for projects that are already pretty much done, like what Dave and Dan did with Steve Lichman.
>>
File: le jacksonville jaguars face.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
le jacksonville jaguars face.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>>2556859
Couldn't someone literally just call the local police on his ass? He basically publicly defrauded hundreds of people. I don't even know if it would even take a lawsuit specifically. Just some evidence and a phone call to put this chump behind bars for a couple years to think about what he's done. It's not even important that people get their money back, it's important that this person doesn't get away with an actual crime.
>>
>>2556264
STFU nigger
>>
>>2557139
Kickstarter is the ultimate legal grey area.

As far as I can tell any money you kick in counts as a charitable donation for (((tax purposes))). So there's no legally-enforcable contract for goods and services in place.

A class-action civil lawsuit to recover costs is a possibility, but you'd have to get a good number of the backers co-ordinating to bring it to court, and a good lawyer.

Tl;dr Kickstarter is pure San Franciscan hipster cancer.
>>
File: basketball head nod.gif (1024 KB, 242x198) Image search: [Google]
basketball head nod.gif
1024 KB, 242x198
>>2555965
we dont have a universal insult for white people, unfortunately.
>>
>>2555940
anthony's a jew, nothing new about it
but it's pretty sad that dave needs to stir up drama every 3 months about something just to stay relevant with his shit comics
>>
>>2557231
Actually I thought the same, but now is more about his new tut
Smart move nonetheless
>>
>>2556264
jew?
>>
>>2555987

Dan Luvisi is a cool guy, not as good as Dave but as a person he's much better than Dave, you should meet him in person
>>
>>2557226what about honkey, or cracker. or cave dweller..
>>
>>2557265
We just laugh those off tho
>>
>>2557269
Why? What's the difference, besides the underlying reality?
>>
About time we had a new drama, I hate how Irakli and Ramirez ended in kissing each others asses and crying.

Fucking Dave is great. Remember when he publicly scolded Michael Bay for ripping off his TMNT design?
>>
>>2557273
>Remember when he publicly scolded Michael Bay for ripping off his TMNT design?

I thought he scolded whoever did the blu-ray re-release of the Dolph Lundgren He-Man movie. They took his goddamn skeletor.

>I hate how Irakli and Ramirez ended in kissing each others asses and crying.

That sounds pretty cringeworthy

(tell me more)
>>
File: 1461384904604.jpg (18 KB, 367x388) Image search: [Google]
1461384904604.jpg
18 KB, 367x388
>>2556031
>a one time 55k payday ins't that much money.
>>
>>2557272
the difference is that niggers don't laugh it off, so it sticks
>>
>>2557319
We get it, you're a poorfag who never had a job before, stop repeating yourself. For you, it is a lot of money, for a working professional who was full time employed at Blizzard it isn't. And it certainly isn't a big enough payday to make up for the loss of money you will suffer due to your ruined reputation when your main source of income relies on workshops and gumroad tutorials.
>>
File: 1435768087417.jpg (70 KB, 524x542) Image search: [Google]
1435768087417.jpg
70 KB, 524x542
>>2557365
> for a working professional who was full time employed at Blizzard it isn't
We've already seen leaks about how much artists make and it's not that much, you flaming homo. 50k for doing nothing is a lot of money.
>And it certainly isn't a big enough payday to make up for the loss of money you will suffer due to your ruined reputation when your main source of income relies on workshops and gumroad tutorials.
Niggers can't make art, the only mistake people made here was giving a nigger money in the first place
>>
>>2557399

>Niggers can't make art, the only mistake people made here was giving a nigger money in the first place

Are you slightly retarded? Anthony Jones got the money he got from kickstarter from people who wanted to buy his artbook, consisting of his artwork. The art was already there, so was the demand for his art, what was lacking was his willingness to spend the raised money to print and send the books.
>>
>>2555940
weekend is here bois
stream when?
>>
File: 1465559195469.jpg (680 KB, 904x1200) Image search: [Google]
1465559195469.jpg
680 KB, 904x1200
>>2555980
I would finance that kickstarter
>>
>>2555987
Too bad they'll birth another eliot rodger.
>>
>>2556264
Nigger.
>>
>>2556837
Why should they care? They get a cut either way.
>>
>>2557847
because no-one will trust them if this hit keeps happening, they might get their cut now but it will fuck their shit up in the long term.
>>
>>2557847
Because that's 1000 people who might be hesitant to back something next time, and who have probably told several of their friends what happened and how kickstarter sat back and did nothing.
>>
>>2557847
It's the same as any buisness like this if you have a commonly held reputation as being a screw job people stop using you.

It won't happen right away, maybe it'll take a few years or more but eventually with a few hundred people at a time your site gets a shit rep and people stop using it. Maybe they won't all stop but unless it's some big name company doing a kickstarter people might be hesitant to back and then it might as well be a non-option for regular folk.
>>
>>2557226
Don't try to play the victim or racism card nigger, you are responsible for the majority of crimes and shootings. Have some agency and quell your fellow negroes.
>>
>>2556264
>white personal screws someone over, nothing
>(((white)))
>>
>>2558269
SHUT IT DOWN!
>>
Only blacks are this completely short-sighted that they would completely ruin their reputations and future business options for a quick payoff.
>>
>>2558278
He definitely doesn't look black
>>
>>2558282
Because Anthony Jones is Korean
>>
>>2557277

Fuck everyone ripping off Dave's work!

Anyway Ramirez met Irakli to puch his face in and ended up getting emotional and hugging each others. He wrote on Level Up that Irakli actually cried and said he was sorry or something like that and Ricky felt bad for him and forgave him.
No blood was spilled that day
>>
>>2558313
so irakli was a hack all along?
>>
>>2558313
screencaps?
>>
>>2558313
you're talking about ricky martinez anon.
i noticed rapoza commenting on ricky's post recently too. i think theres more going on than we know.
>>
>>2558316
the whole thing happened on level up. martinez basically called nadar out with a video he made. then when nadar cried like a bitch, martinez challenged him to live painting, no ref. nadar backed out. top kek shit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzvRBuEestI
>>
>>2558337

Live painting? Who, Nadar? lolol
>>
>>2558337

lmao he reminds me of krones or whatever his name is.
>>
>>2558337

Didn't he say he was gonna stream in july?
>>
>>2555940
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2131695070/heavens-hell-the-art-book/description

are you guys fucking retarded?

https://www.amazon.com/Heavens-Hell-Anthony-Jones/dp/1624650015
>>
File: lmfao.jpg (174 KB, 1247x695) Image search: [Google]
lmfao.jpg
174 KB, 1247x695
>>2558337
>/ic/ was right all along

Wonder where Nadar's contrarian ass-kissers are now kek.

>>2558365

Are you?

Read the reviews.
>>
>>2558367
Stream is today guys
Be ready
>>
>>2558331
what did dave say?
>>
>>2558313
I know about the fight between ricky and irakli but the rest is bullshit
>>
>>2558313

haha what that is some highschool level toddler bullshit wtf

>>2558435

sup dave
>>
>>2558331
Yeah Martinez, my bad

>>2558444

Bullshit? Why you say so? I read it live on level up
>>
>>2558365

Those dudes paid for that book and never received it, they shouldn't have to buy another one on Amazon because they already paid for one.
If for some reason he's unable to send it to them (shits happen), he should be clear about it. Also maybe refund them so they can buy it at Amazon for cheaper.

>>2558401
>Stream is today guys

My bitterness of being a failure is ready for more drama. Bring me more drama.
>>
>>Stream is today guys

what stream? where to watch?
>>
>>2558337
>>2558313
I feel bad for Irakli. Can someone post his process of picrelated
>>
>>2558401
isn't it starting exactly right now ? where could we watch ?
>>
File: 1271117495621.jpg (9 KB, 350x268) Image search: [Google]
1271117495621.jpg
9 KB, 350x268
>>2555940
Anthony is on twitch atm explaining the drama
>>
>>2558789
at least post the fucking link, can't find him
>>
>>2558790
/robotpencil on twtich fool
>>
>blaming his son's tooth for his money spending live on stream
>top fucking damage control
>>
>>2558804
wat
>>
>>2558527
The fight part is real and there are screencaps everywhere, but no screencaps of ikrali owning up and crying like a bitch
>>
watching it here https://www.twitch. /robotpencil/v/71852217

the chat replay isn't working did he disable it?
>>
File: optics_p9.jpg (24 KB, 609x94) Image search: [Google]
optics_p9.jpg
24 KB, 609x94
>>2558804
> Dentistry is so bad in his country that you need a 55k Kickstarter to fix a tooth

Sounds legit to me.
>>
>>2558813
everything that comes out of his mouth legit triggers me
>>
File: virus.jpg (21 KB, 633x229) Image search: [Google]
virus.jpg
21 KB, 633x229
>>2558813
>connection not private
what are you trying to do tony boi
>>
>>2558827
what's wrong with your browser mexican?
>>
>>2558813
cant see shit
>>
this whole stream is fucking terrible. lol
>>
File: dicksucking.jpg (57 KB, 321x731) Image search: [Google]
dicksucking.jpg
57 KB, 321x731
>>2558813
>mfw
>>
it's like, he knows he should be ashamed, but he's not.
>>
>>2557226
>universal

i had never hear the word nigger until i started browsing here.
>>
I wanna be dentist
Art was mistake
>>
File: 1459700540019.jpg (244 KB, 1203x1447) Image search: [Google]
1459700540019.jpg
244 KB, 1203x1447
Original backer here, funded him literal years ago and he's made the same excuses since then. Got my money back as soon as possible thank fuck. Dude spent all his money on other shit, not even art related but I'm talking partying and flying abroad etc, and then took forever to do anything. He had updates for a year which were all like "almost ready to send things off to the printers!"

And the "I'll stream on Friday to explain everything!" thing he's also said over and over and then just doesn't even respond to people asking what happened. And now in this stream he's talking about how he needs to keep painting to forgive himself, and how he's learned so much and it's made him a stronger person and shit.

Anthony Jones is a lazy piece of shit. And he even has the cheek to talk about how he's going to change people's lives with his teachings, and even, I quote, "I don't think I did all this on purpose, yknow, I wasn't like, deliberately fucking everyone over."

>>2558850
Absolutely. Doesn't care at all about squandering other people's money and the whole campaign to get funded was so damn promising. Groups like LevelUp and all those facebook groups started up because of this shit, everyone sharing folio links in streams and then deciding it'd be easier if we were all on one platform, namely fb. Never been more disgusted in an artist and that includes all the photobashing tracing cunts like Irakli and Kron.

Personally I'm not going to fund another artist ever again. No kickstarters, gumroads, patreons, whatever fucking easymode shilling techniques, not doing any of it. No doubt some of the other thousand people feel the same, so now when I eventually make my own book or whatever it'll need to be with my own money and hope to fuck that people buy it when it's done.
>>
>>2558856
>"I don't think I did all this on purpose, yknow, I wasn't like, deliberately fucking everyone over."
Hah!
>>
>>2558856
>Personally I'm not going to fund another artist ever again
Almost believed your story until I got to this.

So because a single guy fucked you you'll never buy anything again, even from people who have a track record of keeping their word and giving you a product on time? Are you 18+? You sound 14, internet tough guy. I give you a few months until you buy something again.

Your salt the earth mentality is only going to hurt you in the end, especially if you're talking about selling something some day. You also severely over estimate the amount of other people who would resign themselves to such an idiot standard.
>>
File: muh dik.png (1 MB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
muh dik.png
1 MB, 1024x1024
>>2558866
Why is it so hard to believe that he wouldn't fund another artist again? In the years that kickstarter has been a thing I've only given money to Krita and Shantae: Half Genie Hero. It doesn't seem like an unreasonable standard to adhere to. He didn't say he would never use kickstarter again.
>>
File: GRusC.gif (1 MB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
GRusC.gif
1 MB, 256x192
>mfw I treat my commissioners how AJ treats his kickstarter backers
>art is an awesome career, nowhere else can retards like him and me make a semi-decent living
>>
File: 1464590787768.jpg (373 KB, 1368x1386) Image search: [Google]
1464590787768.jpg
373 KB, 1368x1386
>>2558890

I think his point is more along the line of "stopping because you've been burned once is stupid, just be more careful next time".

There are people who have the reputation to deliver. These are the people you can fund safely.
>>
>>2558851
You must have been either living under a rock or are just learning English (In which case you probably have still heard it before but just haven't noticed).
>>
File: backed.jpg (85 KB, 509x280) Image search: [Google]
backed.jpg
85 KB, 509x280
>>2558866
What's hard to believe, that I funded this project? You can see my name on the "funded by" page on the amazon preview. That I won't fund another artist again? Why would I. I don't know why you're assuming this is the only artist I'm basing my decision off either, pic related are the kickstarters I've backed in the past, all by artists I knew and was supporting more for them than for the product itself, and all about the same time, 4 or so years ago.

Let's run through them quickly:

>Dragon Fin Soup
Project by Randis, knew him way back on conceptart, nice guy and this was him finally making his own IP, a nice little rpg game. Funded fine and then we didn't hear anything for ages, until getting an email almost 2 years later asking if we wanted a Steam key or one for PS4. I asked PS4 friend if they wanted it on theirs since I prefer console, they looked up the game on PSN and lo and behold it's there for free. Turns out the kickstarter wasn't needed at all because they then got funded by Sony, which meant that any PS4 players got it free, and any PC or other platform players could get it cheaper than the backers.

>21st Century Tank Girl
Same kind of thing, they were funded by publishers later in the kickstarter and so people could buy it cheaper and sooner online and in stores than the backers.

>NOMAD
Darren Yeow's project, to make "by artists for artists" type satchel thing, ended up being just a laptop case with a relocated strap. I didn't pay for the thing itself thank god, but a ton of people paid the $150 for a bag with a strap, and ofc he used the whole project to shill himself to get more actual work.

>Heaven's Hell
Read rest of thread.

>Slither
Sculptor's project, smaller scale and got a signed print in decent time and he made the cast we funded. Out of all of them, the only one that went right and it was a sculptor not an artist.
>>
>>2558922
cont

Why would I ever fund artists again? This isn't even mentioning guys like Rapoza, who used to go on and on to those crimson daggers kids about how he saved up his money from work and then got gud in a single year or grinding, but lately apologized for lying and explained that he was caught shoplifting and so had to resort to online art work since no real business would ever hire a known thief.

Or Brad Rigney, a self confessed alcoholic. People use him as a "ur nevr too old" type success story but the truth is that he couldn't have got gud in his 20s-30s since he was slightly preoccupied drinking himself into the fucking gutter.

How about Noah, the guy who can only paint cloudy landscapes with rocks or traced over edits of himself topless? He got a couple of commissions and then shilled the shit out of himself so that gullible kids paid for his mentorship program and tutorials which only teach basic shit that's on youtube from better artists. He then used all this money to pay off his student debts and go on holiday to NZ, and then used these as marketing points for future shilling.

Or Dan Warren, who got into art so he could make easy money like Dave does, who piggybacked off his friends name to get attention and can only spend days over rendering some flat, dull armour that looks like it's made of plastic.

Or Irakli, who just edits photos and passes them off as master paintings, or Kr0n, who traces then chromatic abberation spams pictures and sells them, etc etc etc.

Why the hell would I support anyone who is a part of a group that lacks any integrity or honesty whatsoever? I love art, really I do, and spend all my time working on my own or helping others trying to get better. But as soon as it becomes about money and shilling yourself in any way to get likes and sweet patreon bux, it's a cancer. And I won't support any of that anymore.
>>
>>2558930
There will be hacks and frauds in every business, for each one of those people there are at least ten guys who do work worth supporting.
>>
>>2558902
Holy crap Randy Adams is fucking hideous. It's like kronprintz but worse
>>
>>2558902
>>2558972
The fucked up mouth and no neck made me think of shadman t b h, he's like the hellspawn of him and kron.

>>2558968
Sure there's decent people out there too, and I do my best to be one myself, but my point was that it's not exactly a burned once thing. Even people I'm friends with and talk with on skype or LAS streams and such can be bad at business. Too often people only focus on getting their art good and don't realise that you need to be good at business too. You even see it in the confession threads here when people admit they've had commissions waiting for months or sometimes even a year and they still haven't even started them and are just hoping the client has forgotten about it.
>>
>>2558930
>Brad Rigney
Not sure why you are complaining about him. He admits that openly, and there's nothing wrong with it.

>Irakli
There's no proof of him doing that as far as I know? Lots of accusations, but nothing definitive. He has videos recording his process too, and though I haven't seen them myself I imagine if they were fake it would have been a big deal and had someone dissecting them.

>Kr0n
He doesn't trace. He has copied a lot of things and I think failed to mention they are studies until called out, but he didn't ever trace from what I know.
>>
>>2558986
>failed to mention they are studies until called out
>studies
He doesn't trace but it's unfair to call his eye-balled work 'studies', especially when copying commercial illustrations to get more exposure.
>>
>>2558989
Well what else would you call them? Homages? Plagiarism? I don't think he tries to actively hide what he is doing. He has credited screenshots from anime that he changed into his style. The whole tracing meme is just a move by /ic/ to try to discredit him, but he actually took the time to paint them out and is reasonably skilled at what he does.

Like, yeah, I don't really like his art or tastes, but I'm not gonna go around spreading false rumors about him tracing things and lying and stuff.
>>
>>2558991
>Plagiarism
basically this. tracing is a different thing.
not the guy you replied to btw
>>
>>2558991
kr0n took down most of his "studies" when he was called out by Sakimi. If they're bad enough to invoke that kind of reaction then hes not exactly guilt free.
>>
File: JJ.jpg (190 KB, 958x993) Image search: [Google]
JJ.jpg
190 KB, 958x993
>>2558991
>>2558995
hehe, even Jaime Jones basically did this. He just "borrowed" from old dead guys. Same for Craig Mullins. How long until Ruan Jia is caught and the triad is complete? Everyone is a fucking hack.
>>
File: irakli.jpg (337 KB, 1142x673) Image search: [Google]
irakli.jpg
337 KB, 1142x673
>>2558986
The Irakli videos are fake. Pic related, if you slow it down you can actually see him just painting over the photo.
>>
File: irakli2.gif (717 KB, 667x750) Image search: [Google]
irakli2.gif
717 KB, 667x750
>>2559059
>>2558986
He denounced all accusations as baseless until people showed these screenshots and gifs and then he started preaching about how it's just a different method, his own technique, how him using the work of photographers doesn't matter because once he's done his thing they are now unique and wonderful. And his fans switched from parroting "he doesnt trace ur just jelly" to "nothing wrong with tracing its just a technique no rules ur just jelly" without even blinking.
>>
>>2558986
>Irakli
Come on. Just check his video, especially part where he draw hairs, and look at >>2558755 See difference?
>>
>>2558991
>false rumors
what
>>
>>2559062
ONE MIGHT THINK THAT HE'S SELLING SNAKE OIL TO THE GULLIBLE FEEBLE-MINDED
>>
>>2559062
[spoiler]I really like the final result.[/spoiler]
>>
>>2558991
>false rumors about him tracing things
He used to make drawings from copying images in cosplay magazines/personal websites and referred to them as life studies from japanese trains/restaraunts
>>
>>2559059
Forgive my ignorance, but what does this screenshot show? It has the reference on the left and his painting on the right. Is the painting actually the photo that is blurred and he repaints it all?
>>
>>2559428
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rXgFEskf2o

Try using YouTube's 0.25 speed and watch how he goes from laying on the big colours to somehow having detail underneath said colours. He zooms in to start detailing the lips and you can see the stock underneath, as in that pic. He goes nowhere near the gap between the lips in layin but somehow has the exact details when he zooms in, just needs to paint over them.
>>
Someone give me the tl;dr on Anthony's stream today please
>>
ricky martinez is a fucking faggot and he doesn't even matter.
>>
>>2558972
the only people defending Irakli on ic is Irakli. look at the poor bum in that interview. dude doesn't have a dollar to fucking get buried with. watch that stupid interview he has. he looks like he's living in a total shit hole. he should be embarrassed. and he told martinez to watch himself? i'm sure martinez is making way more money than he is. dude is a fucking hack. living standards say a lot.
>>
>>2559445
he's hot <3
>>
>>2559445
>>2559451
>>2559454

>false flagging and same faggotry to the max.

Not even defending Irakli but cmon Ricky you know better than that.
>>
>>2559451
makes sense. someone in that type of shit condition would do anything to get out of it. the guy is a hack. and when he gets found he'll just disapear and no one will care. it's a pity we have to put up with the fake bullshit for now.
>>
>>2559460
kek. like ricky would come in here. last time he was here someone quit art. be grateful for peopel that are standing up to bullshit anon. don't get raped in the process.
>>
>>2559465
>like he would come here
>last time he was here
>>
>>2559465
>last time he was here someone quit art

If you're referring to Ethan Saberi, That was because he revealed himself in thread like an idiot, and any true d/ic/k would have pinned him quitting on /ic/, not some no-name artist.

Keep trying.
>>
>>2559470
"no name artist." -Anon
>>
>>2559482

Of course, its 4chan after all.
>>
>>2559483
"of course, i can be a fat bitch not talent having fuck, living in mommy's basement, talking shit to people online." - Anon
>>
>>2559485

Hahaha I knew I'd trigger you by calling you a no-name artist. You always react like a baby whenever someone badmouths you.
>>
>>2559487
"i'll act like i know you" -Anon
>>
>>2559436
this
>>
>>2559495

Anyone else would've called me out for being absurd, but you just keep taking the bait.

Going to get your fanboys to storm the thread like last time?

https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S1890264#p1891681
>>
>>2559498
ooooh this is ethan saberi?! i thought you had hung yourself and done the world a favor you fat fuck?
>>
>>2559498
>https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S1890264#p1891681
>that damage control

KEK
>>
>>2559498

Hahaha holy shit did he try raid /ic/
>>
>>2559514
we all know it's you ethan, you fucktard. lol
>>
>>2559520
>fucktard

Gee that sounds familiar

https://warosu.org/ic/thread/S1930043#p1930767

Still mad about that?
>>
File: 1416178418272.jpg (173 KB, 1618x473) Image search: [Google]
1416178418272.jpg
173 KB, 1618x473
>>2559500
>>2559509
>>2559520
>getting this btfo he's crying about a boogieman

Don't forget, you're here forever Ricky.
>>
>>2559520

No, I'm not you fucking sperg.
>>
>>2559534
ethan stop.
>>
>>2559445
sdlkjsfdlfkjwe holy fudge who's this guy????
>>
>>2559537
>>2559538

>just over a minute apart

top fucking lel
>>
>>2559426
No he said that he drew it while on the train/in a restaurant you faggot
>>
>>2559054
It's crazy that you guys are wigging about this. IMO Wouldn't call it plagiarism or hacky (lol) more like a homage or a reference. Kind of like a postmodern movie or a comedy would make a reference to an older movie to nudge the viewer with "remember this!?". There are plenty of old master paintings that did that, so what you've said is not really a crime but a long long precedent.

If it's deliberate tracing that's different, but it's silly to think that "you can't put a hot sun backlighting a figure", or "using linear rhythms on a body of water" as an idea future artists can never touch because it's been done before by another painter.
Get some perspective and look at the entire history of art, and not just art but music too. How many artists today used the chord progressions the beatles 'invented'? (who themselves took from old timey blues)?
>>
>>2559603
I should have put hack in quotation marks. All good artists are "hacks" in one way or another.
>>
>>2559451
>Martinez
>Making money

Good joke, Ricky. You've never had a single real job in your life, unless you count that abysmal failure of an Image Comics clone you tried to get off the ground back when you were called PIRAX - what was that called again, Badassery Studios?

>>2559059
Guy's got a weird process more in line with how a 3D renderer or airbrush artist would paint a portrait, but I can prove his stuff's hand-painted.
>>
>>2559699
"you've never had a real job. real. job." -Anon
>>
>>2559699
Does every single fucking thread in this board devolve into irakli flinging shit at other people while desperately crying out he's not the disgusting hack that he actually is? Fucking hell, you are cancer. End your life already.
>>
>>2556564
spotted the mad nigger
>>
>>2558856
>One guy fucked me over so I'm never doing anything for anybody again!

Lol.
>>
>>2558890
Buying a video game is funding an artist retard.
>>
>>2559054
What the fuck does your picture "prove" here.

God you are so fucking salty right now for no reason, you are never going to make it LOL. You literally just sound like you need an excuse for your own inadequacy so you are shitting on everybody you can think of.
>>
>>2559603
Old masters traced and golden age illustrators traced.

You guys are all retards.
>>
/ic/ makes me realize that art history classes for artist actually matter.
>>
> People on /ic/ still don't understand that cartoonists and animators are the best draftsmen
>>
>>2559541
You're moving his words around.
>>
>>2559955
>Old masters traced and golden age illustrators traced.
>You guys are all retards.

I agree with you my only problem is if people trace and say they didn't.
>>
>>2559868
i'm sure it's irakli. nobody in ic would ever defend him.
>>
>>2559955
Not traced you fucking mong, but 'borrowing from old dead guys' like what >>2559054 said in his example.
>>
>>2559433
>copying pixel by pixel
ayo man whats the point
>>
Real question is
Scans when?
>>
>>2559054
wait, are you seriously comparing borrowing elements from master paintings to a fucking photo paintover of a portrait? Are you retarded?
>>
>>2559868
>>2559999
I don't personally like Irakli's work all that much - not my style, not my speed. My objection is that /ic/ is being fucking retarded again.

If you want to know if an image contains photo elements/is painted over a photo/is a photo, take a hi-res copy into Photoshop and start looking through the colour channels.

Red channel will reveal the most in terms of painting. The human eye can't separate red from other colours as well as it can everything else, so brushwork that's otherwise invisible starts to show up in this channel.

Further, if you skip back and forth between channels and see clear difference in value, small differences in form, etc this is a good indicator something was painted by eye. The human eye doesn't mix colours like a camera does, if you go through the colour channels of a photo you see that everything remains uniform.

Finally, if you look at an image in the blue channel it's more easy to find areas that are a lower DPI than the rest of the image, i.e. parts of a 72 DPI photograph meshed with brushwork at 300 DPI. Look for clear pixellation and artefacting next to brush strokes that are clean and anti-aliased.
>>
>>2560798
No, I'm not retarded. But you might be. You seem to have difficulty following a conversation.
>>
>>2561926
thats actually really good to know
i hope people will keep it in mind
>>
>>2561926
took you 6 months to invent that mumbo jumbo instead of live streaming.
>>
>>2561987
Frig off, Ricky.

>>2561983
Thanks. It's pretty foolproof. Try taking some images apart this way for yourself.
>>
so this one doesnt get deleted but the nigger dindunuffin does?
>>
File: Red.png (809 KB, 806x1212) Image search: [Google]
Red.png
809 KB, 806x1212
>>2562013
Well isn't this interesting?
>>
File: Green.png (808 KB, 800x1214) Image search: [Google]
Green.png
808 KB, 800x1214
>>2562067
>>
File: Blue.png (826 KB, 802x1210) Image search: [Google]
Blue.png
826 KB, 802x1210
>>2562069
Everything except the hair, parts of the eyebrows, eyelashes and lips identical across all three channels.
>>
File: Error Analysis 1.png (192 KB, 1626x1098) Image search: [Google]
Error Analysis 1.png
192 KB, 1626x1098
>>2562070
Take a close look at that circled line under the lip. Nice, smooth, anti-aliased. Probably painted at 300 pixels per inch, that line.

Now take a look at the specular highlights on the lips and teeth. Pixelated. JPG artefact-y. Probably at 72 PPI or less.
>>
File: Error Analysis 2.png (244 KB, 1406x1236) Image search: [Google]
Error Analysis 2.png
244 KB, 1406x1236
>>2562072
And again, the same phenomenon elsewhere in the image.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
>>
Haha I always knew Ricky was a fucking tracer. The discrepancy between his "studies" and his godawful original work is too big.

But why the fuck make a video about this shit? Some deepseated catholic guilt driving him to out himself?
>>
>ITT: irakli learns to samefag
>>
The overpainting business really sounds similar to all the vector artists doing g meshes and doing photorealistic vectors with it.
>>
>>2562074
yyyyyyyyyyiiiiiiiiiiiikkkkkkkesss
>>
File: Error Analysis 3.png (124 KB, 1268x1060) Image search: [Google]
Error Analysis 3.png
124 KB, 1268x1060
>>2562165
>>2562188
Took a look at a couple more of his pieces. Not going to bother doing more, you all should understand how this works for future reference by now.

From his K-Stew study. The eye and other parts of the face have been overpainted. Some areas of the flesh haven't, and have much larger JPG artefacts I've partially outlined for clarity.
>>
File: WW Red.png (575 KB, 930x1238) Image search: [Google]
WW Red.png
575 KB, 930x1238
>>2562222
Walter White red channel.
>>
File: WW Green.png (573 KB, 928x1236) Image search: [Google]
WW Green.png
573 KB, 928x1236
>>2562223
Green.
>>
File: WW Blue.png (582 KB, 926x1236) Image search: [Google]
WW Blue.png
582 KB, 926x1236
>>2562224
Blue.
>>
File: WW Error Analysis 2.png (205 KB, 1628x1324) Image search: [Google]
WW Error Analysis 2.png
205 KB, 1628x1324
>>2562225
Closer examination reveals this is a trace in the true sense of the word. He's overpainted a large amount of the original image, but some areas remain untouched. Compare the PPI of the face to the PPI of the background in this close-up.
>>
>>2562226
Are you sure this isn't caused by using a larger brush or a soft brush in those areas, then when he saves a small resolution jpg for posting online that process will change how each section appears? Can you show this for a picture that is definitely not overpainted, and another that is definitely overpainted a bit (you can do it yourself) as controls to see what the results look like.
>>
This sounds dumb, so what does guys does is simply just get a photo and then paint over it. I guess he does some photo manipulation before hand. However, how does one do this, because even if you sample the colors underneath it would still seem "splotchy".
>>
File: WW Error Analysis 1 copy.png (66 KB, 1072x900) Image search: [Google]
WW Error Analysis 1 copy.png
66 KB, 1072x900
>>2562226
In case you thought that could be written off as dropping a photo in for the background - sorry.

He overpainted much of what was visible, but missed some areas in the shadows and other places. More artefacts that don't match the PPI of the rest of the image.

>>2562165
Who knows? Maybe he thinks he's the Tyler Durden of the digital art world or something. Draw or Die are his Project Mayhem space monkeys.

I remember he said he was going to do a video 'debunking' how to fake a painting process for videos and livestreams then dropped it. I'd guess there's a good chance he's an expert on the subject because it's what he does himself, and he didn't make the video for fear of completely 'outing' himself.
>>
>>2562229
See: >>2561926

I can take that apart in more detail if you want me to.
>>
>>2562233
How about some analysis on Irakli's paintings as well?
>>
>>2562234

I ant you to take it apart, I'm really interested in seeing behind the scenes.
>>
>>2562233
Is it possible that he used a bigger brush in those areas? Shadows tend to be flatter than areas of light, so it is common to use larger brushes and if the brush has a built in scale to the pixels then it might show up like this.

It's also possible that the image was started small and upscaled throughout the process, which is pretty common for artists to do.

Not saying either of those are the case, just playing devil's advocate here since these are some big accusations so you want to control for as many factors as possible.
>>
File: Based God Red.png (1 MB, 1400x1216) Image search: [Google]
Based God Red.png
1 MB, 1400x1216
>>2562235
>>2562241
>>2562242
I'll get round to Irakli at some point, but to show you I'm right about Martinez, here's a piece by our lord and master Jaime Jones taken apart.
>>
File: Based God Green.png (1 MB, 1400x1212) Image search: [Google]
Based God Green.png
1 MB, 1400x1212
>>2562244
When you paint from scratch everything's set to the base PPI of your document. Even if you use different brushes, sizes, resize, etc it should all stay congruent with itself.
>>
File: Based God Blue.png (1 MB, 1396x1210) Image search: [Google]
Based God Blue.png
1 MB, 1396x1210
>>2562247
As you can see in this Jones piece, absolutely everything's kosher and on the level.
>>
>>2562248
Even zoomed in on the blue channel way beyond the base resolution of this already exported and compressed image, everything's uniform.
>>
TThank anon for deconstructing this stuff, not only is this actually very informative but you show examples.

However, despite this, I asked how does he actually does this. Does he trace, and sample colors underneath and then paint?. Or he just paints over the image?. Even then how, as painting over, wouldn't blending be a issue> His painted finish works looks pretty wow despite knowing this,a nd I would like to know how.
>>
File: Nadar Red.png (1 MB, 1264x1266) Image search: [Google]
Nadar Red.png
1 MB, 1264x1266
>>2562252
Let's take a look at one of Nadar's paintings. Spotted this on his DeviantArt, title was 'K is for Karma'. Seemed appropriate if it ended up revealing him to be a photo-tracing hack.
>>
File: Nadar Green.png (1 MB, 1266x1264) Image search: [Google]
Nadar Green.png
1 MB, 1266x1264
>>2562257
>>
File: Nadar Blue.png (1 MB, 1266x1264) Image search: [Google]
Nadar Blue.png
1 MB, 1266x1264
>>2562258
I'm afraid this isn't looking good for the 'Nadar is a fraud' people...
>>
so some guys use a photo as a base, so what? the end result is what matters and all their stuff looks better than /ic anyway.
>>
File: Nadar Zoom 1.png (265 KB, 1620x1346) Image search: [Google]
Nadar Zoom 1.png
265 KB, 1620x1346
>>2562259
I zoomed into every area I could think of where, if he was overpainting a photo, he might have missed something.

Nothing. This is all painted by hand. Beautifully, I might add. This kind of style doesn't do much for me, but I can appreciate the workmanship.
>>
File: Nadar Zoom 2.png (267 KB, 1642x1346) Image search: [Google]
Nadar Zoom 2.png
267 KB, 1642x1346
>>2562263
More.

>>2562262
That you, Ricky?
>>
File: Nadar Zoom 3.png (188 KB, 1338x1148) Image search: [Google]
Nadar Zoom 3.png
188 KB, 1338x1148
>>2562264
Last one. If he was faking it, it'd show in the scalp for sure. But no, it's all uniform - clearly hand-painted.

>>2562256
I've got some ideas. That, ironically enough, Ricky gave me from some of his posts during the LevelUp drama.

If this thread's still around in an hour or so, I'll post my findings.
>>
>>2562263
If someone used a very high resolution base photo, would there still be discrepancies in resolution? What about filters that put grain or other things over it that would unify the pixels more, would this hide anything?
>>
>>2562182
This.

This.

THIS.
>>
>>2562268
I assume if you use some Akvis filter that that would hide it yes, but it would also kill the "insane realism" idiots like.
>>
>>2562268
Discrepancies in resolution would be less, but like the Megan Fox piece above you'd still be able to see a clear divide between hand-painted and photograph flipping between colour channels due to the human eye mixing colours a lot differently to a camera.

Ricky uses a grain filter on literally everything. He actually paints UNDER one (more on that later). And no, it wouldn't hide anything, at least not from a colour channel examination. It does make it harder to spot the differences just looking at the raw image, though.
>>
>>2562272
Neat. So the lesson is after Ricky guy accused Irakli of painting over photos and started a witchhunt eventually making the guy cry, it turns out Ricky is the one who did the overpaints and Irakli is legit?
>>
>>2562275
That's some mean girls level intruige right there.
>>
We must realize that artists are not in competition with each other. - robert henri
>>
File: noise.jpg (152 KB, 960x670) Image search: [Google]
noise.jpg
152 KB, 960x670
Noise seems to make things completely uniform across photo > paintover > pure brush strokes.

That is to say, I can recreate the look of iraklis images. Also people suggest that Irakli initially blurs photos as his base. Unless i'm completely misunderstanding what you're trying to show.

I've also seen similar artifacting to the Walter image on jpgs with gradiants even when painting in photoshop. Perhaps i'm just confused.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 60

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.