[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Motivating shows/films/animes/...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16
File: bakuman_flim.jpg (210 KB, 560x793) Image search: [Google]
bakuman_flim.jpg
210 KB, 560x793
What makes you want to draw till you puke blood? Anything goes, youtube channels, movies whatever.

Pic related, recently seen this, they adapted the manga in a quasi asano-esque bitter(((sweet))) way, and the sountrack is great to work on.
>>
File: Pumping_Iron_movie_poster.jpg (47 KB, 262x400) Image search: [Google]
Pumping_Iron_movie_poster.jpg
47 KB, 262x400
>>2553220
This and...
>>
File: jiro-dreams-of-sushi-movie-2012.png (344 KB, 398x598) Image search: [Google]
jiro-dreams-of-sushi-movie-2012.png
344 KB, 398x598
>>2553410
... and this.

They're not art related but they always remind me that you have to work hard to get where you want to be.
>>
If any tard here tries to say Whiplash I'll slap you. The point of the movie is that it's a terrible approach to art.

>>2553220
The made Bakuman into a live action film??? And it was okay? I read the comic a few years ago and thought it was pretty good.

Arakimentari is fun. It's not the most inspirational in the sense you are looking for, but if you like his photography it's interesting to see, and his enthusiasm towards photography really makes you feel more energized about art and creation in general.
>>
File: 1459184400333.png (1 MB, 814x744) Image search: [Google]
1459184400333.png
1 MB, 814x744
>Live action
>>
>>2553220
Blue Blazes and Welcome to the NHK
>>
>>2553418
>Welcome to the NHK
This is not motivating at all.
>>
File: whiplash_69913.jpg (21 KB, 600x300) Image search: [Google]
whiplash_69913.jpg
21 KB, 600x300
/thread
>>
File: ChgLyZeUoAEYACi.jpg (59 KB, 600x394) Image search: [Google]
ChgLyZeUoAEYACi.jpg
59 KB, 600x394
Talking about manga going 3d, there are series running now "juhan shuttai", if you can overcome the cheesiness of Japanese dramas its pretty cute. Mainly about manga publishers and artists they work with
>>
>>2553415
>The point of the movie is that it's a terrible approach to art
Guess you missed the end, because that was not the point.
The point was, to achieve greatness sometimes you need to push your own boundaries and this push will break or make a person but if you manage to make it and git gud, history awaits...

Every great artist we ever had, was pushed by family/mentors or was obsessed with art and pushed themselves, a lot of them ended up crazy or killing themselves but their art still lives.
>>
>>2553220
Subs where, OP?
>>
>>2553415

Will never make it
>>
>>2553434
Yeah he "made it" in the end, but that was pure luck. What the movie really showed was how his teacher was a petty asshole who justified his abusive and horrible behaviour by using an old anecdote about some famous drummer. He willingly manipulated people, used entire people as pawns, intentionally tried to destroy careers, was verbally and mentally abusive, directly caused at least one suicide, and in his whole career never had one success. Who knows how many people never had the chance to turn into the genius he so wanted to create because he used the wrong approach and destroyed them.

The main character fell for this bullshit and we got to watch as it ruined his life. It lost him relationships, made him miserable, made him quit music and lose his passion.

The ending of the movie doesn't make the entire thing a "ends justify the means lol". It was pure chance that things turned out like that and it was only because the main dude broke all the social codes and was selfish and it luckily turned out okay. The entire premise of him being on stage was his teacher wanted to permanently ruin his career and humiliate him as some petty revenge. The success reflects more on the main character's strength and talent than it does on that teaching method being viable.
>>
>>2553454
Nobody ever defended the teacher and I don't know why you're focusing on him so much.
>>
>>2553460
A lot of d/ic/ks when that movie came out have praised that style of teaching and said they wished they had someone who pushed them like that, or put it up as an example of how to get good, saying you need to suffer to be great.
>>
>>2553430
Yeah, I like it a lot. Agree with you, would rec.

>>2553418
Didn't know Blue blazes, will check!
I really love NHK, but I wouldn't say it's motivating.

>>2553415
>it was okay?
Depends. I like it, but it's very dark. Basically everything is from the manga, but it's either a direct copy or the complete opposite. It has its flaws, but in that regard the manga is worse, it completely jumps the shark midway through, even though the beginning is stellar.
>Arakimentari
Will check.

>>2553412
Yeah... you have to wait 10 years to have the right to touch the fish. The eldest son got completely fucked over. But it's beautiful.
>>
>>2553436
Saw it on dvd, but a duckduckgo search gave me streaming links among the first results, so you shouldn't have any trouble.
>>
>>2553420
>>2553506
If the fear of remaining a celibate NEET for your entire existence doesn't motivate you then I don't know what will
>>
>>2553538
But NEET life is actually great in comparison to wageslave life.
>>
>>2553538
i love when 4chan retards think that there is something inspirational in having a delusional crush on an underage
>>
>>2553564
T-there is! Haven't you read Lolita?
>>
>>2553570
My sides.
>>
>>2553415
>If any tard here tries to say Whiplash I'll slap you.
You can find the movie motivating without trying to live up to it 100%
>>
File: ishoujo_nemu_189.jpg (156 KB, 728x1097) Image search: [Google]
ishoujo_nemu_189.jpg
156 KB, 728x1097
>>2553220
>What makes you want to draw till you puke blood?

Shoujo Nemu.

Basically what Bakuman would be if it was written by Mashiro's uncle (the author never "made it" and died young), except it's about a promising girl and a failed artist and there's only 1 volume. It's way bitter about the life of an artist and why he does it.

The scene where the author explains all the bad reasons to become an artist really resonated with me. If you're the real thing, you just do it.
>>
>>2554008
depressing that it's unfinished
>>
What's that one manga about that one artists's biography to become a mangaka?
>>
>>2553418
Welcome to the NHK
>Kid with glasses Dad dies
>No one can run the family farm now
>Kid with glasses drops out of game design school
>Gives up on his art along with his dreams
>Leaves a girl who accepted his perverted hobbies behind
>Gets an arranged marriage set up by his Dad
>Works on his Dads farm for the rest of his life

I heard the manga was different, but I'm still mad.
>>
>>2554315
I heard both the manga and the LN had a lot more despair.

The anime was basically the good end.
>>
File: 1424357014569.png (80 KB, 375x383) Image search: [Google]
1424357014569.png
80 KB, 375x383
>>2553420

It's not a show that's trying to sell a message of "you can achieve anything if you work yourself to the bone", and that seems to be what people look for here. The message is to stop living in your own head and to accept that you're not special. It says that you wont progress and that you'll find yourself permanently miserable if you keep expecting life to suddenly and miraculously fix itself, and to take a step back now and again and to appreciate life for what it is.

I also love the idea of dedicating your whole self to a craft and becoming the fucking best at it, which is why >>2553412 is fascinating and beautiful and >>2553429 is fucking invigorating. That said, I do think it's important to recognize that reality isnt TTGL and that you shouldn't give up on being human to be an artist. NHK got me out of NEEThood and my art has improved a lot since I started functioning a bit more properly as a person.
>>
File: G_Senjou_Heaven_v02p179.jpg (81 KB, 728x1072) Image search: [Google]
G_Senjou_Heaven_v02p179.jpg
81 KB, 728x1072
>>2554008
G Senjou Heaven's Door is worth a read too.
>>2554276
Kakukaku Shikajika

Urasawas Manben Documentary is an interesting insight into the lives of various mangaka.
>>
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 451x451) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 451x451
What is that “I need to motivate myself to draw so bad!”

Do those people hate drawing but just want to be famous?
I don't have to do that because I like drawing.
>>
File: Ootsuka Yasui 25.png (353 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Ootsuka Yasui 25.png
353 KB, 640x480
joy in motion
>>
I look at the nature and scenery photographs I've collected.

I'm not even super into drawing nature scenes themselves, but seeing how much raw beauty there is in the world makes me hyped to create big illustrative pieces.
>>
>>2554319
Anime and manga are identical at first, and after the carbon monoxyde suicide, they diverge completely. At that point the anime was crap, at least IMO. The manga, however, is fantastic over this point. You should definitely read it if you liked the anime.

>>2554327
That's great.
>>
>>2554374
I was pleasantly surprised this type of post didn't come earlier.
Did any of the person on the thread say that they need to watch such things to draw?
Why are you such an idiot?

I watch shows during meals, and I'd rather watch something about drawing/painting/manga that helps keeping motivated.

And honestly, you just like drawing, you should probably challenge yourself a bit.
If you never hit a wall or found your abilities to be lacking, you're either Buddha or not very good.

Here's your (You).
>>
>>2553418
Started to watch blue blazes, thanks anon. It's not much a motivator but fun to watch main chara struggles since I think many can relate to his thoughts and excuses
Also cool to see bunch of big name japanese creators in there
>>
>>2554388
You have a link for that? I googled around and couldn't find it online, just people talking about it.
>>
>>2553220
https://www.youtube.com/user/levelupsessions
>>
>>2554902
There's a torrent link on bakabt dot me.
It already DL'ed, so it's quite fast.
>>
>>2553496
Okay, then some people have their own interpretation. But the movie itself isn't necessarily trying to glorify that teacher, and some random viewers interpretation doesn't speak poorly of the movie itself.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (129 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
129 KB, 1280x720
>>2553220
>>
>>2554915
Funny that the main chara was voiced by creator of evangelion
They talk about it in the documentary
The kingdom of dreams and madness
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=24wViGZKVu8
>>
>>2554948
Also by the way, hideaki anno is also in blue blazes
>>
>>2554431
My nigga
>>
>>2553220
> MC was shit when he was a kid and never drew for years, aside from times to rimes sketches of his waifu.
> all of a sudden gets pro level and can draw every and anything in realistic style, and as a manga at thatn just because he's super motivated

It's hard to take this shit seriously when you're a drawfag.
>>
>>2554915
This movie just made me fall asleep personally.
>>
>>2554987

Mashiro is already correct at drawing when the story begins, 1st page of the manga shows that he had several awards for his art as a 7 years old, and he's 14 when the story begins. So it's not over the top... for a shonen.

His grand-father offers him a studio just when he needs one and he's still 14 year old. The first editor they met is a good one and always supportive. This is on par with shonens where the MC wants to become the best tennisman, the greatest Baker, a Pokemaster, etc.
>>
>>2555171
Except it was shown that his "past" drawings were "really bad". The titles you mentionned are a bad comparison because drawing is a skill based on learning, and in that case the MC hasn't for years. You can't draw all of a sudden a manga with realistic drawings. The studio doesn't matters (considering what you can get on the internet) and they when they got an editor they were already pretty good.
>>
>>2555175
He draws in class. When you spend ~7 hours per day 5 days a week in class, that gives you a whole lot of time to draw. I've kept stacks of my notes from high schools that are full of designs for magic extensions (high school days).

And the quality of most manga drawings are not that great, ever read HunterXHunter? Don't take dramatization literally, it's a shonen.
>>
>>2555204
> He draws in class.

No. He just draws from times to times portraits of Miho. That's it. And sketching in class won't makes you improve much in the first place.
>>
>>2553220
>animes
>>
>>2555224
>chinese cartoons
>>
File: tumblr_nbpfwpJwx81r9tozso4_1280.png (566 KB, 771x463) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nbpfwpJwx81r9tozso4_1280.png
566 KB, 771x463
>>2554374
Because more often than not when a person draws only to get better without even putting their works up for others to see, online or otherwise, all they have to look forward to is the grind and stress of trying to get better, a feeling like groping in the dark and hoping you find a light switch, which will wear on you after a while. It's nice to have a little reassurance, and relevant entertainment to your interests, to help carry you through that process, which is what these threads are about.

>I don't have to do that because I like drawing.
Good for you, not everyone gets off on running a pecil over paper though.

Also staying relevant to the thread I'd recommend a J-Drama called Aoi Honoo or Blue Blazes, it's brief look at the college life of a mangaka, also features portrayals of various anime industry types like Anno in their college years. Very entertaining, referential, and historically educational if you like anime / manga. More like a live action anime than anything though. No coincidence it's one of the only live-action anythings /a/ has cared about in a long time.
>>
File: feels.jpg (16 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
feels.jpg
16 KB, 500x461
>>2555276
I feel you anon. It's going to be okay. Work will pay off.

Aoi honoo as been rec a few times already, it's seems to be on point.
>>
>>2554948
just finished watching it, anyone can recommend anything similar?
>>
>>2553220
>(((sweet)))
Japanese jew?
>>
>>2554336
>Urasawas Manben
Fantastic! Thanks a lot!
>>
File: hopsin1.jpg (59 KB, 780x520) Image search: [Google]
hopsin1.jpg
59 KB, 780x520
not related to the topic but oh well
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.