[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Drawing/art advice you would give your past self.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11
ITT: Drawing/art advice you would give your past self.
>>
Use more line weight in your drawings. Thick and thin, not just one or the other.

I don't draw that much differently from years ago, but my drawings look 90% better because of line weight.
>>
DRAW
>>
>>2538666
actually read anatomy books and learn insertions/origins/use rather than just copy images
>>
>>2538666
Don't stop sketching. Seriously lost a lot of mobility and flow because I stopped sketching daily.
>>
File: 14184596872690.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
14184596872690.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
>>2538666
1) Don't pay attention to popularity
2) Trendy things don't matter
3) Keep drawing whatever you like
4) Waifufag artists are popular only in "teenage autists" socium and the fact that you cant be popular as waifufags dont say anything because you still can get job and get paid more than them even if they have more likes on tumblr.
Pretty much the only problem i ever had with art - looking at threndy anime/waifu drawings and being upset that they are the most popular themes out there.
>>
>>2538681

but WHAT do you sketch? i dont have anything i want to draw all the time and get bored sketching. my finished work is fine but i never feel the need to sketch unless i am working on fundies
>>
Stop drawing anime faggot
>>
>>2538666
Learn the fundamentals and stop making polished turds.
>>
Quit wasting your time.
>>
>>2538688
If my future self would appear before me and instead of giving me any valuable advice, he'd just ramble on about popularity, waifufags and teenage autists, I'd do my best to start drawing exactly those popular things just to change the future so I won't end up the bitter loser I apparently became.
>>
don't try to go through all of art sequentially. mix things up during the day, i.e. 2 hours of figures/anatomy, 2 hours perspective, an hour painting, and try to make it fun.

also don't look for a style, especially in the beginning, focus on fundamentals and realism
>>
>>2538812
I guess the future you is a complete retarded moron. And current you is around 16-19.
>>
>>2538666
Draw everyday.
Everyday.
That's all I would say.
>>
>>2538666
Holy shit JUST FUCKING DO IT

DONT WAIT UNTIL YOU'RE ABOUT TO FINISH YOUR MAJOR TO ACTUALLY START DRAWING

YOU WONT HAVE ANY TIME LATER THANKS TO WORK

AND DITCH THAT FUCKING DAMAGED OFFICE CHAIR ITS GONNA RAPE YOUR WRIST/FOREARM/SHOULDER

thank you for your attention ok have a nice day
>>
>>2538690
>not wanting to sletch your waifu at all times
Get a waifu desu senpai
>>
File: 1463883468355.gif (1 MB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1463883468355.gif
1 MB, 400x300
>>2538671
this helped me, thanks bro
>>
>>2538666
Stop playing videogames and draw you lazy fuck.
>>
>>2538842
Le FUCKING ep!c motivation bro! XD
>>
>>2538666
That picture makes me so fucking depressed. Hello Satan, by the way.
>>
>>2539083
>>2539109
what happened to you anon? do you want to talk about it?
>>
>>2539799
You don't know the taste of failure?
>>
File: Jumba Clean-Up.jpg (103 KB, 1024x609) Image search: [Google]
Jumba Clean-Up.jpg
103 KB, 1024x609
>>2538898
Just sharing this as inspiration cause Disney sketches are the thing that helped me most with line weight stuff.
>>
>>2538666
Perspective and form is number 1 priority
>>
>>2540057
Why?
>>
>>2540060
Look at Marshall Vandruff videos.

Perspective teaches you how to have depth in your drawings, which equates to drawings that actually look like a thing with weight on it instead of a kids drawing.

How do you expect to draw a human hand from an anatomy book without understanding basic form and perspective.
>>
>>2540068
By copying it
>>
Please don't get into art.
Do anything else but don't get into fucking art.
>>
>>2538666
Don't just draw when you feel like it you fag, draw every day even when you don't want to

Fill *at the very least* one sketchbook a month

Avoid that Christopher Hart book for the love of god

Stop chicken scratching you little shit, holy fuck

Don't draw anime until you can draw period you fucking weeab

Never give up hope!
>>
"kill yourself"
>>
>>2540651
but i like you
pls dont go :*(
>>
>>2540654
what if i told you that i draw furshit
>>
>>2540658
then merrily fuck off already :^)

.... pls post...
>>
File: 8767.png (65 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
8767.png
65 KB, 480x320
what do i have to do everyday if i want to be really good at drawing?
>>
>>2540666

It's easy, you just have to:

1: Read Perspective Made Easy and do all the exercises.
2: Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises and watch the videos.
3: Read Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis and/or Michael Hampton and do all the exercises.
4: Read Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis and do all the exercises.
5: Read Force by Michael Mattesi.
6: Read How to Render by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises.
7: Read Color and Light by James Gurney and do all the exercises.

There you go, with 4 hours of focused practice a day (don't check your smartphone every 30 seconds) this training will last a whole year or a bit more. Also you need money to buy the books and a cintiq or intuos pro and ellipse templates etc.

After you complete that just do what you want for a while, explore styles, what you like to paint and such. THEN make a list of the things you are not good at and you want to learn and get to it.
>>
File: 1463277600805.gif (318 KB, 192x256) Image search: [Google]
1463277600805.gif
318 KB, 192x256
>>2540668
Wow thank you, i don't have money but i will think in something.
>>
>>2540610
I'd say its Ok to draw Anime, if that's the style that inspires you and you want to emulate, just remember to supplement it with the fundamentals.
>>
>>2540670

Don't be a noble idiot, pirate the shit out of them. Your compettion doesn't care about morals
>>
Do it faggot.
>>
>>2538666
>Take it seriously jackass, it's only thing you'll have left.
>Get instructions jackass, you're not going to magically figure it out on your own, so just breakdown now rather than later and get help
>Draw everyday jackass, video games only leave you more sad every day until you can't take it
>Always seek out your faults, there's no shame in being bad, but there is shame in taking pride in being bad
>Always draw everyday as much as possible. It may be chore now, but you'll learn to love it in two years
>>
File: 1455276453022.png (108 KB, 319x367) Image search: [Google]
1455276453022.png
108 KB, 319x367
do what works for you, everyone else is irrelevant
just do it
do it fucker
pick up that pen and fucking do it
and dont stop
>>
don't go to /ic/
>>
File: 1463205797600.gif (1 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
1463205797600.gif
1 MB, 580x433
>>2540086
Okay, now draw the human figure with all that anatomy from your imagination in a different position.

Lazy asshole don't wanna learn perspective and form
>>
>>2540668
>>2540670
Downloads for all of these books can be found with a google for archived /ic/ book threads.
>>
Two things. Don't give a shit and just draw.

My inner critic is a bitch. I drove myself into a huge mental block and haven't drawn in months. If I actually had the opportunity to give advice to my past self, I would take a long time writing and researching how to best explain it to help stop this over-critical brain before it becomes ingrained. fml
>>
>>2538666
draw you motherfucking son of a bitch procastination is and it will always be your worst enemy.this i why i hate you/me
>>
>>2538666
No you stupid brat, legs don't work that way.
Stop using the "MUH STYLE" bullshit you're not even good and it makes you look like an asshat.
Fucking Loomis.
Draw.
DRAW.
>>
don't play world of warcraft it's not worth it

stop copying loomis pages and find vilppu torrent and do that all summers

update your da everyday
>>
>>2538842
>DAMAGED OFFICE CHAIR ITS GONNA RAPE YOUR WRIST/FOREARM/SHOULDER
what chair should you be drawing in
>>
Always remind yourself of the reason you began drawing to begin with. It's easy to hate where you stand when you're in deep and lost your way.
>>
>>2538666
Block those fucking colours! BLOCK it!
>>
>>2538666
I stop myself from browsing /co/ and go to /ic/ instead. I also force myself to not leave stick page and counting every making YouTube animations, even if they are shitty
>>
Don't be so hard on yourself.
>>
>>2538666

don't get in a relationship.
>>
Don't start, years after you're still shit tier, focus on your main job.
>>
don't stop drawing for years because some people were better than you in high school and you hold your pen weirdly. some crazy fucker made a living out of art without any hands at all, so what's your fucking excuse? just keep drawing, but instead of doodling all the time actually do studies.
>>
>>2538666
Work on recognizing and fixing your mistakes, don't repeat them you faggot!
Drawing a lot isn't enough, you have to draw smart.
>>
>>2538666

Play less vidya.

Seriously.
>>
File: 1459800747949.jpg (64 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1459800747949.jpg
64 KB, 640x640
>>2542118

>Been drawing for 4 years
>Every time I draw a good face it's because I've trial and errored like 10 times
>If you gave me a pencil and a piece of paper and told me to draw a cute girl I wouldn't produce anything above shit
>>
Finish a sketchbook a month. Always draw what you want to draw in that sketchbook. Don't show it to anyone.

Keep a separate sketchbook that is exclusively master copies. Finish one a month.

Stop comparing yourself to others.

There's a time to be judgemental on your own art. But its not when you are beginning. Stop caring so much or else you'll paralyze yourself.

Finished not perfect. It's better to get something good and done rather than perfect but non-existent.
>>
Multitasking such as listening to Music and watching television drastically reduces your performance and output. Learn to go zen and draw in silence.
>>
Loosen up, stop trying to make every little detail perfect, focus more on the big picture.
>>
>>2538833
sick burn bro
>>
Hurry up and get good, cause there's a deadline.
>>
Stop jerking off
>>
>>2540668
what about drawing on the right side of the meme?
>>
>>2542862
If you can suspend your sense of disbelief, then go for it. It's often praised by beginners if you're not aware.
>>
>>2542863
I don't get what you mean.
Should I do right side of the brain or it's useless and instead do
1: Read Perspective Made Easy and do all the exercises.
2: Read How to Draw by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises and watch the videos.
3: Read Figure Drawing by Andrew Loomis and/or Michael Hampton and do all the exercises.
4: Read Drawing the Head and Hands by Loomis and do all the exercises.
5: Read Force by Michael Mattesi.
6: Read How to Render by Scott Robertson and do all the exercises.
7: Read Color and Light by James Gurney and do all the exercises.
>>
>>2542866
I'm a complete beginner by the way, I draw like complete shit.
>>
>>2542866
You read all of those still, but whether you want to read right side of the brain is up to you.
>>
>>2542872
I know it's up to me but is it efficient to read this book lol.
Thanks btw for this list, looks real good.
>>
>>2542875
Well, that's something no one knows until they have read the book. It might be helpful and it might not be for other people? Since you ask, it's probably better to just ignore it, you have a good amount of books already.
>>
>>2542877
Ok thank you so much man. I hope i'll git gud.
>>
Work on your fundamentals. Get rid of that annoying obsession to always create 'beautiful' things. You're gonna make a shit ton of horrible, eye-bleedingly bad art. Stop being a pissy lil autist about it.

Don't wait on someone to take interest in your projects before working on them. It's better to have a lot of half-done works than a fully fleshed ideas and nothing to show.

Stop getting weirdly preoccupied with/antagonist against younger artist. They're younger and they draw better. So what. Let them live their lives.

Draw everyday, Even if it's a dick in the back of your notebook.

Try to hold onto as much of your old art as possible.

Put more focus into practicing than you do hoarding art supplies. Actually READ the books you get instead of sitting on them like a stubborn dragon.

Observe and absorb from other artist. Don't get caught up in being 100% original. Just make sure your execution is on point.
>>
Dont go to art school immediatly. I know you want to "be a real artist" as soon as possible, but it wont work. Get a job or two, join the navy, do some traveling. Give it some three years to become some kind of adult first.
>>
File: el rayo.png (126 KB, 496x290) Image search: [Google]
el rayo.png
126 KB, 496x290
"ANON!
LISTEN TO ME NOW! IT'S LOOMIS! HE'S THE KEY!
AM I TOO SOON?! ITS NEVER TOO SOON!
YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT HIM! YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN RIGHT ABOUT HIM! FEAR HIM! FIND /ic/ ANON! YOU HAVE TO FIND /ic/!"
>>
give up
>>
Give up. It'll only make you hate yourself more.
>>
just give up
>>
>>2538666
Disconnect your internet and focus on drawing instead. Time is precious.
>>
Just end it all.
>>
>>2538666
git gud
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.