[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I have $100
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5
I am going to spend some time in Asia and I wanted to bring some art supplies with me to draw some cities and landscape. What should i buy that is:
portable
has colors
will last at least a month
bonus: will impress my normie friends

I am looking at watercolor pencils but I have no idea what brand to get in particular so I would love to hear some recommendations. Note that I am not looking to save money on supplies so I want the best bang for my buck. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>2536907
> refillable water color brush. Any brand will do
> Watercolor cakes than tubes. I use prang as it is cheap as fuck and pretty competent
> Any thick papered sketchpad. I use monologue sketchpads for that.
>>
File: braum.png (19 KB, 678x545) Image search: [Google]
braum.png
19 KB, 678x545
>>
I would bring pens like Copics or something, some kind of brush pen, a good little sketchbook with watercolour paper, and a tin of watercolour blocks (mix paints in the lid).

>>2536913
Shit a refillable brush? How did I not know this was a thing. Okay I just looked it up and its called Pentel Aquash, and I am definitely buying one. Do you have any experience with it?
>>
>>2536961
Yes I have. I own a sakura koi and some kuretake brushes.

Each brushes has different tip shape and sizes so keep that in mind. And like I said earlier, any brands will work ... At least from my experience.
>>
>>2537065
Cool, thanks. I found a sakura one on aliexpress.
>>
>>2537065
I forgot to add, have you tried the kuretake watercolour paint boxes? They look very shiny compared to all of the western ones I've tried.
>>
>>2537069
I have not tried any art material that costs more than 15$ , anon. I'm sorry .
>>
>>2537070
Haha, that's okay. Do you just not like spending money on it? I understand, all the art supplies I have were gifted to me. That's the benefit of being 'the arty one'
>>
>>2537072
Yeah I usually just use traditional art materials for sketching so buying expensive brands for a sketch is kinda a meh for me. If I tried to do a more finished work. I'll consider it immensely. :) Hope I help you with your inquiry tho.
>>
>>2536907
where in asia?
>>
>>2536907

>I would bring pens like Copics or something
I wouldnt do that.
If you have to go through an American air port they will brutally rip open your markers looking for explosives because they are government employed mongoloid idiots.

I would stick the the pencils. I think col-erase are cheap but you can get a 24 pack and they do mix with water. If you wana top out your budget then you could get some prisma color ones, but I think col-erase r close enough..
>>
How much is this book going to help a beginner? I've seen a few threads bashing on it, but now that I'm considering buying it I was wondering if the exercises inside are worth anything
>>
>>2537219
transformative for some people, worthless for others. depends on the type.

the science is gobbledygook, but the main conceit is legit: draw what you're seeing, not the clipart translation your brain makes.
>>
>>2537219

Find it in the book thread and flip through it.

There's a lot of pseudoscience dribble that you can ignore but the exercises are useful. There's another similar book, I think it's called Keys to Drawing, that's also a good "total beginner" book.

Do the exercises even if you "get it", by the way. A lot of people skip the stuff they think is obvious but usually it's not as simple as they assume.
>>
>>2537087
China Taiwan Hong Kong and Japan
>>
I suppose you're urban sketching.

A clipboard.
8.5x11 Color Copy Paper from Office Depot. Must be 25lb gsm or more.
Pentel pocket brush pen.
A decent backpack or satchel.

For Color:

Kuretake MC2036V Gansai Tambi 36 Color Set ($36)
Hand Book Travelogue Journal Landscape ($12)
Misting spray bottle
cheap ass princeton brushes
http://www.amazon.com/Art-Advantage-Collapsible-Travel-Washer/dp/B00VYDID06 ($5)
waterproof inkpens like pigma microns or a pentel pocket brush pen (let it dry first)

If that's a hassle to lug that shit around (and it is)

Grab a sketchbook whose paper isn't thirsty
And a bunch of fabercastell pitt pens
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00110WPCO/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_03_01_t_img_lh?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Or a smaller pack: http://www.amazon.com/Faber-Castel-FC167105-Artist-Landscape-Assorted/dp/B0014ZNLBU?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_3&smid=A1SP2RA2ML0SAW
Grab colors that you think you'll need if you're going urban or landscape sketching. Personally I'm happy with a set of warm and cool greys.
Use lots of rub with your fingers alot to create textures and to encourage blending.

Have fun!
>>
>>2537575
*rub with your fingers alot
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mrdz72Akmo1qz4rgp.gif (454 KB, 250x188) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mrdz72Akmo1qz4rgp.gif
454 KB, 250x188
>>2537575
>not using ballpoint pens
>>
>>2537075
dude stop!!!

this forchan. here

fuck off faggoto sempai
>>
File: apple_watercolour pencils_study.jpg (573 KB, 1836x1772) Image search: [Google]
apple_watercolour pencils_study.jpg
573 KB, 1836x1772
I really recommend the Caran d'Ache "Supracolor" water-soluble pencils OP.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.