[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
how do you paint, anon? i am using statues to study from with
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4
File: 1449304047505.png (189 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
1449304047505.png
189 KB, 620x320
how do you paint, anon? i am using statues to study from with a hard round brush but i cannot into form with default round. i pulled out my watercolors and am painting on canvas but i cant even do a basic face cause im not used to this real shit.

i can line work, lay out my value placements, but when it comes to adding values i freeze, moms spaghetti, etc. what can i do as practice to get my values to not be top kek?
>>
>>2534702
Post your work first so we can see better.

Probably your drawing is not as good as you think. And also are you using the round brush with zero pressure? Set it so the opacity is affected by pressure.

For values, you can assign numbers to the value scale, 1-10 for white to black, for example. I don't personally do that, but it might help at the start and is pretty common to do.
>>
>>2534702

Post your work, otherwise we can just guess why you suck. You can paint anything with the hard/soft brush although creating texture with it is laborious.

A good rule of thumb when rendering form is to be aware at all times if what you're painting belongs in shadow, midtone or light.
>>
>>2534708
>>2534710

https://i.imgur.com/MbdlnG8.jpg
>>
>>2534719
4chan is an image board, next time post it directly in the thread so we don't have to go offsite to see it.

Your initial post implied it was a study you were struggling with, but that's not a study. You'll need to know more about lighting to paint it from imagination like that. Decide on a lighting scenario (eg ambient lighting, or direct light from above, or whatever) and then try to keep things consistent.

Once problem you may have is you are really really detail oriented. There's all these small forms there that are easy to get caught up in, but you want to maintain the larger masses first and foremost and ensure that they are well lit. All that detail is secondary or tertiary.
>>
>>2534719

Well, that's not even a painting at this point. It's just flats with some gradients. You have to attempt to portray some kind of light source, otherwise you're just doing a comic book style illustration. Which is fine too, but not for the purposes of the thread.
>>
>>2534764

no shit, the file is too big to post or i would of posted it.
>>
>>2534786

is that a meme?
>>
>>2534959
Then resize it dummy
>>
File: u.png (4 MB, 3135x3503) Image search: [Google]
u.png
4 MB, 3135x3503
>>2534961

4 mb, so small :(
>>
>>2534969
how about you work on your picture instead of going every board these past two weeks and asking for critiques.
>>
>>2534986

not him, but don't be a retard. There's nothing wrong with asking for input.
>>
>>2534988
TWO WEEKS.
>>
>>2534993

this is old, i don't post new stuff until a month or so.
>>
>>2535000
it takes you a month to get a critique for it?
>>
File: mrskeltal.png (754 KB, 784x876) Image search: [Google]
mrskeltal.png
754 KB, 784x876
Eh, I took a stab at it.
>>
>>2535089

see, I need to get off my default round brush and just use other brushes,
>>
>>2535079

i don't like showing new stuff. stop being dumb.
>>
>>2535104
Your problem isn't brushes. I mean, sure, experiment with new ones, but they won't magically fix your problems.
>>
>>2535106
it obviously comes off as disingenuous , dummy
>>
>>2535112

ok

>>2535110

it's not about magic, it's about speed. sure, i could render it out with a default round, but that is going to take forever.
>>
>>2535115
>i could render it out with a default round
This entire thread is about how you aren't able to do that.
>>
>>2535128

maybe i should of said "i can't render with default round without spending 10 hours on 20% of this character".
>>
>>2535141
you dont understand why that's the issue here?
It wouldnt take that long if you could properly render with a hard round. You would learn a lot and it would look a lot better
>>
>>2535144

like i originally asked (because it's slow as dicks)

>how do you render, anon?
>>
>>2535141
Can you post up a finished piece of yours? Curious to see how your 50 hour rendering looks like
>>
File: spacemarine.jpg (219 KB, 800x1154) Image search: [Google]
spacemarine.jpg
219 KB, 800x1154
>>2535184
>>
>>2534969
Still didn't fix them paddle feet like the critique guy told you nigga
>>
>>2535793

what are paddle feet? i haven't touched this thing since i finished it lol
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.