[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I find it amazing how graffiti artists know such little about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4
File: 4913353_image.jpg (170 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
4913353_image.jpg
170 KB, 960x960
I find it amazing how graffiti artists know such little about typography despite their whole art form being based around it.

Most could not tell you what a Serif is or the difference between a font and a typeface.

How is this even possible?
>>
You don't need to have formal education or be exactly bright to spray rad colors with your gang on some stinky street wall.

Btw same applies to other types of art, lots of people don't even bother or know that there is something like "fundamentals" which doesn't hinder their artistic career.
>>
>>2531743
Anon pls, I just fapped
>>
>>2531743
Who is this semen demon?
>>
>>2531760
>Gang

Confirmed for not knowing much about graffiti.
>>
>>2531774

Whatever you say, you ex-convict you.
>>
>>2531743
I met people in art school who could tell you all about art techniques, art history, art vocab and everything to to with art, but yet they couldn't draw or paint to save their life; I use to be dumbfounded how someone could be so into studying art, but yet not practice it themselves.
>>
>>2531783
Studying is a passive practice, whereas practicing is active. I know a lot because I'm too lazy to do anything but reading is easy for me.
>>
>>2531743
>How is this even possible?
Most graffiti is illegible. So this makes perfect sense.
>>
>>2531743
damn what a qt
>>
>>2531743
I remember when I was a kid that a classmate of mine did nothing but write font designs in his book. So instead of drawing like us the normal stuff they do the same but with letters and that's how they are able to do it.
>>
>>2531760
Are you an old white guy or something?
>>
>>2531825
As someone who knows a couple graffiti artists through art school this is exactly right. They're fucking insane if you look through their sketchbooks. You'll see nothing but the same word drawn over and over again filling up pages. Its crazy, but it just sorta works. Though I don't really agree with painting on shit that isn't your property.
>>
>>2531831

I only know that if they would put the two of us next to each other, I wouldn't be a nigger.
>>
>>2531743
Many artists don't even know the fundamentals of their craft.

This is nothing new.
>>
>>2531841
What does that have to do with the fact that creating graffiti art does not mean that you are in a gang? I feel like only old white guys think that.
>>
>>2531863
Everyone thinks that idiot.
>>
>>2531863

Stop being nigger already, it becomes embarassing at this point.
>>
>>their whole art form being based around it
not at all
>>
>>2531743
oh fuck MY DICKKK!!
>>
File: 1462615754700.jpg (41 KB, 460x345) Image search: [Google]
1462615754700.jpg
41 KB, 460x345
>grafitti
>art

gb2africa
>>
File: 1461210131593.jpg (45 KB, 960x862) Image search: [Google]
1461210131593.jpg
45 KB, 960x862
Why are most hobbyists so bad at drawing
>>
>>2531743
>A western formal art education is superior and the way to judge if something is aesthetic
>My made up rules are meaningful
Why haven't you killed yourself?
>>
>>2531781
Funny because I am not.
>>
>>2531997

I didn't know you can have internet in prison. Strange times.
>>
>>2531811
Abstract art is hard to understand as well.
Surrealism looks weird
Impressionist paintings look all blurry.
>>
>>2531882

I think you would have to be like 70 years old and complain about how things aren't like the old days to think that...
>>
>>2531901
still better than badly done manga drawings.
>>
>>2532004
Well weebs keep their shitty drawings to themselves at least, unlike people who do graffiti.
>>
>>2532001
>only old people dislike vandalism
>>
File: 6993.jpg (965 KB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
6993.jpg
965 KB, 2560x1440
Well-done grafitti is actually an excellent reference for cartoony rendering and design.
>>
>>2531863
Youre right, sometimes hipsters do graffitti, too
>>
>>2532074
We call them squares if they're not old and white back in my day.
>>
>>2531743
surprise surprise? Most graffitti text looks like somebody wrote it with their dick and is completely illegible and void of any consistency or artistic merit.

Of course those people know nothing about typography. If they did, they'd probably work in advertising.
>>
I only see graffiti on train cars. Do railyards even care? I mean, as those cars get retired after a time, anyway, and no company is turning down a cargo train because the cars look too colorful or something.
>>
>>2532116
true, true
>>
>>2532116

It's not meant to be legible.. It is art.. Not manga illustration / graphic design.
>>
>>2532074

No, but it's mostly old people who are so clueless and behind the times.
>>
>>2532120
They move like ninjas...

They often out number and out organise the security guards at the train yards..

A lot of the time 2 security guards are too afraid to confront 10 of them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WicEZ9qM0c
>>
>>2532707
>security guards are too afraid
lol where the fuck do you live
>>
>>2532716
>all that faggotry
I am torn between admiring his arm control and wanting to smack the stupid out of him.
>>
>>2532960
What, why?
>>
>>2531743
who is that semen demon
>>
>>2532956
Australia, they are afraid when they are outnumbered.
>>
>>2532956
Honestly look at one happens to the train driver at 0:55..

It's not hard to see why security guards are afraid to confront them when they are in large groups.
>>
>>2533049
Forgot video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO0m5Y-IAiw
>>
>>2531743
Both graffiti artist and graphic designer here, not the only one ftw.
>>
>>2531882
No, not everyone thinks that unless you are some old ass living in uber whitesville or watch too many Hollywood movies.
>>
>>2531886
So are you lack of prepositions.
>>
>>2531743
I need to know who this absolute qt is
>>
>>2533818

I am not even sure it's made out like that in hollywood.

I remember watching some show where a teacher dates a father who has a kid who paints the side of buses at night and they made him out to be a misunderstood teenager with lots of talent.

I can't remember what that show was..

I guess they chose buses because the city wouldn't let them paint trains.
>>
You don't have to be knowledgable about something to be good at it, or rather, not properly knowledgable.

For example: A lot of chefs in entry-level kitchens (Above fast food but below fine dining I guess) are usually off the street or from fast food kitchens. They might not know the word for the way they slice something or a certain technique but that doesn't mean they haven't learned how to do it anyway by watching.

Does that make a little more sense, OP?
>>
>>2531743
very literally the difference between book smarts and street smarts
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.