[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>30 years old Do I still have enough neuroplasticity to git
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6
File: neuroplasticity.jpg (47 KB, 320x247) Image search: [Google]
neuroplasticity.jpg
47 KB, 320x247
>30 years old
Do I still have enough neuroplasticity to git gud?

When I read literature or watch tutorials, I feel like the information really sticks well

>Been drawing with pencil most of my life, lately mostly charcoal based portraits
>Others have always told me I'm good at it, but I've kept it as a hobby so far
>>
>>2529211

If you aren't working at 30, just quit. I had a friend irl who still wasn't in by 30 and I was better than he was when I was 22.

Understanding tutorials and being able to do work are not the same.
>>
>>2529218
Art for me is still a hobby, I haven't been trying to make a career out of it, it's more for personal satisfaction. Career wise I fell for the STEM meme
>>
>>2529233

How is STEM a meme?
>>
>>2529218
There are thousands of artists who were better at 15 than you were at 22. You should have quit too then.
>>
>>2529243

Well, there are artists who work on their stuff daily while young but none of them are working at a professional level at 15, that's delusional to think that way. On the other hand, 30 is (or was, before Patreon and Gumroad) considered to be too old for pro work if they aren't almost or already there.
>>
>>2529258
Also you should maybe draw more.

I noticed a big jump in my work when I stopped watching tutorials at random / for entertainment. Look for tutorials when you actually need them.

>When I read literature or watch tutorials, I feel like the information really sticks well

>Theory has no place ..., in an artist's basic education. It is the eye and the hand that should be exercised during the impressionable years of youth .... It is always possible to later acquire the accessory knowledge involved in the production of a work of art, but never -- and I want to stress that point -- never can the will, perseverance, and tenacity of a mature man make up for insufficient practice. And can there be such anguish compared to that felt by the artist who sees the realization of his dream compromised by weak execution? 2
http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/Technical_Articles/WALKER-BOUGUEREAU/WALKER-BOUGUEREAUpage1.php
>>
>>2529211
I am 29 and I am learning kills way faster than in my youth. I am more mature about it, don't daydream too much, stopped being a stupid idealist and I just focus on routine instead of believing in god given talents.

What I miss about being young is the passion I had for things. I was unstoppable and kind of reklessly chasing my dreams in a good way.

It's a trade off, but I think starting late can be a good thing when it comes to learning to draw. The downside is that you have to be a productive member of society while learning.

Just take a good look at the insecurity of most young guys here and all those 'muh style' guys, pointless dick comparisons and retarded discussions about the industry. You have the advantage to chill the fuck out and get past all of this without having an existential crisis every 2 weeks.
>>
>>2529253

Art isn't a professional sport where you peak in your mid 20s you fucking moron. There is no difference between a 22 year old and a 30 year old artist when it comes to their value for a company or client. That depends entirely on their individual skill level and experience. Obviously a 30 year old who lacks work experience will have a difficult time getting an in-house internship and stuff that big companies usually give out to younger artists. In that case you'd have to get some projects under your name by freelancing.

Why do amateurs like you pretend they are professionals just to demotivate people like OP out of spite? I know for a fact that you aren't a professional but a bitter failure who wants to make sure OP gives up on art. Does it really feel good to pull other people down to your miserable level?
>>
>>2529265

why are all you linking fine artists? A lot of guys and gals on here don't want to draw still lives all day.
>>
>>2529293
rekt
>>
File: 1448572192415.jpg (45 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1448572192415.jpg
45 KB, 1000x1000
>>2529271

>in-house internship

Now I know you don't know what you're talking about.

>you'd have to get some projects from freelancing

Again, no.

Why are you being so hostile over disagreeing with someone on the interwebs? Does the word fuck and moron make you feel like an adult? I bet you drive without your seatbelt and you don't wear condoms when you bang highschool girls.

>Why do amateurs like you pretend they are professionals just to demotivate people like OP out of spite?

Goingtoneedabiggerbait.jpeg

pic related.
>>
>>2529272
Only way to git gud.

>why are all you linking fine artists?
what's your definition of gud then?
>>
>>2529306

You sure about that? Drawing still lives is something specific artists do as a career/for learning. Next to no one actually sits around doing still lives, just beginners who can't draw or are getting a handle on fundies. The meme going around on 4chan that you gotta practice still lives all day and figure draw like Vilppu is bad information and should be avoided. That is, unless you want to do illustration and painting for a living, then good luck beating out all of those Chinese artists.
>>
>>2529253
It simply doesn't work that way. Earlier is better but in our society people start working in their late twenties. It's a complete joke.
>>
>>2529349
What's all this about doing still lives
What are you implying here?
I don't understand
>>
>>2529349
really I've read this twice now and I still don't understand
this entire board is focussed on getting into either fine art or painting or illustration and you are calling advice on getting into illustration bad advice because it's advice on getting into illustration, and only because you don't want to do still lives.
>>
>>2529402

This entire board is focused on shitposts and burned out Loomis memes. I'm saying what you're calling illustration and what I call illustration are two different things. By terms of industry, illustrations are graphic designs (logos and book covers) and fine art. Splash arts might fall into the fine art category but only on terms of how far the rendering and composition goes. That market is also highly competitive and no one on IC is even at that level nor anywhere close to it.

>>2529362

Who said it doesn't work that way, you? Earlier is better, people often get in around their 20s, but they aren't doing professional-level work until they're experienced and have a decade or so in the field. You should look into your favorite artists at when the first started, it's never pro-level work.
>>
>>2529411
you are 19 years old
>>
>>2529467

I'm 25.
>>
>>2529470
you talk like you are 19 years old
>>
>>2529471

Why so specific on the age? What am I saying that makes me sound younger than I am? Don't insult me by calling me immature and then not explain yourself.
>>
>>2529211
>Am I too old?
Brad Rigney.

/thread
>>
>>2529478
There's a vagueness to your posts,
conciseness is a telltale sign of maturity.
>>
>>2529497
>>2529478
oh and also nothing you said makes any sense at all

>Calling design illustration
>Splash art is like fine art
>referring to fundamentals as doing still lives
>doesn't feel Vilppu because it's a meme
>don't study That is, unless you want to do illustration and painting for a living
>>
>>2529500
what even is Splash art
why are you bringing that up as if it's a legitimate art form.
>>
File: 560px-Jan_Bruegel_d._Ä._007.jpg (112 KB, 560x725) Image search: [Google]
560px-Jan_Bruegel_d._Ä._007.jpg
112 KB, 560x725
>>2529478
I forgot to post a picture with my posts.
>>
>>2529489
Just googled him, but can't see anything in relation to age
>>
>>2529218
>>2529253

This is nonsense.
>>
>>2529253

*perpetuating a mentality that is used to bankrupt the young, and exploit a workforce out of fair working hours/pay on an industry wide scale*

Cool, but, it's ok, because you know, pro? Whatever the fuck that even means in your obviously narrow definition.
>>
>>2529218
>>2529253
Spoken with all the confidence of people who still think life somehow calcifies at 30.

AKA, idiots.
>>
The cut off age is 25. If you can't get pro by 30 you might want to look into assisted suicide.
>>
28 here and i'm just starting. You mentioned neuroplasticity OP. Well one strategy i'm using is actually improving the health of my brain so that it learns faster.

There are books out there on improving the heath of your brain. Boost Your Brain by Majid Fotuhi is the one i'm using. Very encouraging read because with that knowledge you know you're doing alot more than before to improve your brains ability to remember and grow than you were before. Through exercise and a brain healthy diet you'll improve blood vessels and oxygen flow in your brain which will help in all stages of learning.

Sleep is also extremely important in learning. If you're pulling all nighters on your art or not getting enough sleep that will hurt your ability to learn.

There are videos on youtube about studying effectively for college by college professors. Those videos will expose mistakes you are making in trying to learn and will help you learn faster.

Another thing i'm looking into is performance psychology. If you could get into what they call "the zone" more often when you practice I bet that would greatly increase how fast you improve each session.

The inner game of tennis is a book that tries to talk about this. I haven't yet tried to do everything the book says so I can't vouche for how good it is yet.
>>
>>2529767
That isn't the cut off age

You could start at 50 and still get good anon
>>
>>2529767
lol
>>
itt idiots who assume 'going pro'=giten gud, and that 'gitgud' means one thing with one goal. Also having no clue wtf neuroplasticity is.

Unless you wanna buy into that narrative. In which case, go right ahead! Thank you! You're helping thin out the competition for the rest of us.
>>
>>2529692
>>2529691
>>2529657
>>2529497

samefagging so hard like its 2003
>>
>>2529896

You think you're competition for anyone? lol

Do you realize that once you get into an in-house position (and keep it) that you will become a different artist by the end of your first year? Nothing amounts to the knowledge you gain from working around professional artists, it's night and day.
>>
File: dl09rDa.png (351 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
dl09rDa.png
351 KB, 500x334
Neuroplasticity is as dumb as the genetic obesity meme. Anyone who talks about this in regards to actual real life work is looking for an excuse to quit.

>I don't have 64 GB of ram so I should just throw away my PC.
That's how stupid it sounds
>>
>>2530050

>your memes make dumb people believe you

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2383929/
>>
>>2530062
>reading comprehension
You're the only one lacking in plasticity here. True or not, plasticity, like genetic obesity, is not even worth considering in a place like this since it has such a small effect on working performance.
>>
>>2529218
Don't listen to this asshole.
>>
>>2529843

Feng Zhu states that 25 and below is the average age students enter his school. And we all know those students were drawing way before they lay down 50k to a 1 year program.

You can run from facts but you cannot hide from facts.
>>
>>2530208
OP's question wasn't if he still could be the best there ever was (which is a retarded thought anyways). If you keep obsessing over what the best accomplished much earlier than you, than you will get absolutely nothing done in life.
>>
>>2530173

>small effect on working performance

>working as an artist is one of the highest stress careers and taxes the shit out of your brain

I think you might be confused, friendo.

>>2530194

Are you 29, anon? Are you afraid?

>>2530234

You need to be in the top 3% of the people around you (forums/college/groups of art friends) if you expect to do this for a living. This isn't Pokemon, you aren't trying to be the very best that ever was, but you need to be fucking good. Although, shilling out on Patreon/Gumroad makes it easier nowadays. Even you might be able to make it if you draw enough dickgirls.
>>
>>2530208
FZD has people even in their 30s and up to 50s attend. They only get a year to study and they come out pretty good.
>>
>>2530295
>top 3%
Where did you get this number?
>>
>>2530307

Yeah but you're not a 30/50 year old with 50k in disposable income to piss away. Therefore if you are 29/30 and don't have access to such funds you--must I say it again?
>>
>>2530309

By working with professionals. Same place I get all my information from, people who have decades of experience on me.

>>2530313

Different anon, while you are right about money, you're a bit off on the age. There are hundreds of thousands of people who are 40+ working at minimum wage jobs. Usually if they aren't gonna make it with art, they end up in the low shit-tier industry of work. Don't be stupid, you can take out loans and shit to do to FZD if you really want to spend a year there. It's not the best but it's better than the high volume of upper education in America.
>>
>>2530330
>There are hundreds of thousands of people who are 40+ working at minimum wage jobs.

Right, and they need to die. Those are jobs high school kids and rising adults need to get their foot in the door to pad their resume for the first time. Those jobs are not for worthless sons of bitches who want to act out of their age group and make their place of work a simulation of high school; a gossip central playpen on their off-time. If you can't get your shit together, may it be art or an actual career that isn't a sandwich artist at the age of 45, please do the younger generation and release yourself from your mortal body. A simple act of kindness goes a long way.

And taking out loans IS stupid. Only rich people can afford FZD. Taking out swabs of cash to move pencil on paper is beyond the scope of retardation.
>>
>>2530343

>they need to die.

Man you are too edgy for me. You probably don't realize this but sometimes life can take a huge shit on you. You will understand when your feathers come in and you leave the nest.

Loans are not stupid, especially if you're going somewhere like FZD, ACCD, or Scotty R's school. Also, FZD is not expensive, 45k-60k is nothing compared to what you can make in your first few years doing any industrial-level art job. You're an idiot.
>>
>>2530343
>Right, and they need to die

Did you came here to vent or something? Most of working artists offer case-to-case approach when dealing with aspiring novices.

People of the "please an hero if you aren't top percentage by 20s" usually have serious issues that are kept out of public sight. Like, for instance, having wasted their own lives and being livid about anyone with a similar background who still tries to arise above his state.
>>
>>2530404

I think he might be underage, he sounds a lot like that Nile guy.
>>
>>2529840
imagine if you spent all that time you wasted reading pseudoscience about shit unrelated to art and actually worked on the skill you were trying to learn
>>
OP here, and I'm encouraged by the feedback in this thread. I'm hoping to attend an oil painting workshop with Eloy Morales very soon, so I'm making this the year when I transition from charcoal to oils.
Many thanks
>>
>>2530343
>>2530295
This entire rant is completely unrelated to what OP was saying. He presumably has a solid career considering he said he went into STEM, and he specifically said he wasn't looking to go professional in art. You're a retard.
>>
>>2530350
Sorry you don't want to hear your reality. Then you shield yourself by throwing the classic "you're just an underage kid you don't understand" to prevent further scarring.
>Also, FZD is not expensive, 45k-60k is nothing
What a contradiction to your post because
>sometimes life can take a huge shit on you
How do you know something won't happen to you while you're over in Singapore like a health related issue because you're past your quarter years and balding? Then you can't get that
>industrial-level art job
simply because your health isn't as it used to be like a 20 somethings. You're going to work hard. Harder than any time in your life when you step into FZD. Barely any 50 year old would have that kind of stamina left, especially if they're just all $$$ but no work to show. Like I said no kid can take out a 50k loan.
>you're an idiot.
And you're naive. Case in point 25 is the cut of age.
>>2530447
Maybe try reading comprehension. I don't have time to write out another paragraph for small minded people such as yourself.
>>
>>2529211
lol
>>
>>2530498

hi Icarus :)

Do you think Singapore doesn't have hospitals? Do you think Feng's school is some mud hut out in the swamps of the Bukom Islands? I didn't see him include a mosquito net in the list of supplies you get when you pay 45k, maybe you are on to something, Icarus.

Why can't a student from an educated country take out a loan for their education? Which part of student loan do you not understand? Are you American or is your backwards-ass country too far in debt to the United Superpower that you can't afford an interest rate on a 10 year loan?

Again, you're an idiot and I'm starting to see why.
>>
File: uninvitedpreston.gif (39 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
uninvitedpreston.gif
39 KB, 256x224
>>2530439
>I think he might be underage, he sounds a lot like that Nile guy.

If my memory serves me right, young Andrew Dobson also was keen to go around and shittalk older novices until his own hubris made him into an unemployable trainwreck.

If there is any pattern to this, I'm sure we will be hearing from that guy in 5-10 years once he becomes the new pet lolcow of artistic community.
>>
>>2530637
>If my memory serves me right

Aw, your memory already fadin' out on ya? That's what happens when you don't harbor enough neuroplasticity to retain all that art knowledge~
>>2530615
You act as if a student loan is easy to get. Sure Stanford loans and FASA loans are easy but that's nearly not enough to cover FZD expenses. You're the idiot wanting to get into debt here. You don't need to pay an arm and a leg in the creative fields (unless you have the income) because there is so much stuff out there than there was 10 years ago. The real idiot here is your mother and father.
>>
>>2530643

I never said you should go there, I just said it's easy to get money. FZD is a waste of cash if you have a brain and some time to dedicate to learning on your own. Take the stick out of your ass, anon.
>>
>>2530644
But it's not easy. I'll take that stick up my ass and shove it right back in yours.
>>
>>2530645

But it is easy, you're just retarded.
>>
>>2530643
>>2530645

What is wrong with you? Even /pol/tards are more courteous in their dealings with Jews and blacks than you in an advice thread on /ic/. I have talked with quite a few professional artists both IRL and OTI and none of them had your approach to communicating with others.
>>
>>2530648

Next you'll tell me to land my next job I have to go out to meet the owner, give him a firm handshake, look him dead center in the eye and scream at his face "I want this job" while clenching my buttox as hard as I can while saying it, huh old man?
>>
>>2530637
What's the story with blue teddy bear man anyway? From some posts I read, the guy is in crippling depression because of how shit his art is or something like that
>>
>>2530654

Nice strawman, Dobson.
Now go back to your Twitter and resume complaining about how hard it is to be you.

[spoiler]__________See what I did there? :^)___________[/spoiler]
>>
File: YOU_EEEEEEEEEEEDIOTS.png (118 KB, 500x483) Image search: [Google]
YOU_EEEEEEEEEEEDIOTS.png
118 KB, 500x483
>>2530658
>From some posts I read, the guy is in crippling depression because of how shit his art is or something like that

Encyclopedia Dramatica and Bad Webcomics Wiki both have elaborate entries on Andrew Dobson vel Tom Preston vel CattyN.

His story is one of the animation & art school graduate who, after it turned out that Disney wouldn't just pick him up right off the doorway, decided to try his best to go viral as comic artist on the internet with inflation fetish artworks on the side.

Although his skills as an artist began to stagnate and deteriorate due to his delusion of inherent talent diminished by the process of academic learning, he managed to become enough popular with deviantART crowd to have his works appear on site's frontpage on a regular basis.

However, his asshattery in dealing with other people - especially those who made him feel bad about his works or his life - turned this semblance of career into a smoldering wreck as he couldn't bear to stand even one 'hater' amongst crowd of hundreds of supportive fans and his block list was always overflowing.

Eventually he sought acceptance and merit on the wave of SJW activism and his increasingly triggerable new visage began to turn more and more people against him while his fans were increasingly scared of being blocked/reported for speaking out. Eventually he abandoned deviantART and settled on Twitter, hidden behind several blockbots in an attempt to shield himself from any real or imagined threat while his workshop ended up unused.
>>
>>2530671

What's a blockbot?
>>
>>2530673

An app which automatically blocks people who either fall into a given cryteria (like that infamous GG blockbot which allowed for over 10k accounts to be blocked by those who chose to run it for themselves) or intereacted with you while failing to apply to certain regulations.

In case of Dobson's blockbots, his app automatically blocks all accounts which began their communication with him after just few days of being made.
>>
>finally get STEM internship
>9 to 5, 40 hour weeks
>no time to git gud anymore
RIP Me
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.