[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Photoshop brushes
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6
File: brushstuff.png (1 MB, 800x1243) Image search: [Google]
brushstuff.png
1 MB, 800x1243
Hey /ic/, i have been using photoshop for a while actually, but there is one thing that really frustrates me. i keep seeing this grungy texture in brushstrokes that really adds something to paintings that i like, but i have no idea how to replicate it. it doesnt look like a texture, but more like the brush itself is randomized and somewhat grungy. its hard to explain so yeah pic related
maybe its really obvious and im just a retard but i really want to figure out how people do it.
pic belongs to bayard wu (hes pretty obviously amazing)
cedric peyraverney has this grunginess in a lot of his art too.
if anyone knows something, id really appreciate help. i know my way around brush settings/tips usually but i feel i cant replicate this sort of texture at all.
>>
>>2524404
Some of those look like normal brushstroke with textured brushes. Have you downloaded different sets and experimented with them?

Otherwise if you use the mixer brush you can get that type of texture very easily. You'll need to set a texture to it and put it on height though.
>>
>>2524404
just google oil painting photoshop brushes and I am sure you'll find em.
isn't there a question thread anyway?
>>
>>2524404
Sauce?
>>
If you're willing to shell out a little money, Kyle T Webster makes tons of Photoshop brushes with all sorts of fun textures and feels and effects. I use them constantly and feel they were totally worth the money I spent. The Megapack set is also constantly being updated with new free stuff.

https://gumroad.com/kyletwebster#
>>
>>2524429
its in the original post. bayard wu.
>>
OP here. ive been looking for brushsets that looks like this a lot, and in the preview they all look exactly how they should, or in the example pictures, etc
my problem is that the same brushes i have installed just look different when i use them. i feel like the dryness (?) gets lost. maybe i have some wrong settings on, i just dont know. pen pressure and direction are working btw.
>>
>>2524451
Have you tried tweaking the flow of the brushes?
>>
>>2524432
Nice shill attempt, youre prob also the OP

Why the fuck would you pay someone for brushes when tehre are thousands and thousands of brushes available online from actual professionals.
>>
>>2524479
Not OP, just someone who found some good brushes and uses them regularly.

I'd pay for them because frankly I don't have the time or the knowledge to make my own brushes right now. There were some cool ones with effects that I wanted and I figured it was worth the money. I've used a ton of free brushes but aside from the Stumpy brush, most of them weren't stuff I ever used regularly. I use brushes in these sets daily.

I'm also the kind of person who buys music and pays for movies and such. I'm not broke, and I like seeing people get paid for the work they do. Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>2524432

my fucking sides. Kyle. Dude. You keep posting your stuff here pretending it's not you. Everyone and their grandmothers can tell it's you.
>>
>>2524491
The idea of paying for brushes is relatively new. For most of digital art history people shared brushes freely, even if they spent large amounts of time developing them. Even people at the top of the industry freely shared their brushes, people like Jaime Jones, m@, and Whit Brachna. Their brush sets are still to this day some of the best in existence, and most other brush sets are just modifications of theirs.

So to many people it is a kind of scummy thing to charge for something has been traditionally treated as free.

I'm not disagreeing with you btw, I just am explaining the other viewpoint in case you weren't aware.
>>
>>2524477
yeah... i have basically been trying everything in the settings, but i just dont get the proper result. i thought it might be the flow, because it kinda feels like theres too much "paint" coming out of the brush, like its just immediately too loaded with paint, you lose all the detail of the initial brush tip
>>
>>2524516
Post some examples of your strokes vs the strokes you are trying to get.
>>
>>2524495
Sorry, this time it's not. First of all, I'm female. I know you're not gonna trust an anon but hey.
>>
>>2524516

Two important questions:

- Which version of Photoshop are you using? There are some differences in possible brush settings between CS4, CS5, and CC. You might be using brushes that are optimized for a newer version of Photoshop.

- Are you sure you that the brushes are the issue, and not the tool presets? Some brush sets include tool presets and you have to use those for the desired results.
>>
>>2524676
im using photoshop cs 6 and i have the feeling that the tool presets are the problem. but i have no idea how to really get them right, its not like the brushsets give huge tutorials how to use them for idiots like me, haha
thats probably the problem
>>
File: brushi.png (235 KB, 414x704) Image search: [Google]
brushi.png
235 KB, 414x704
>>2524520

mine are really smudgy and soft, but im really looking for this oily, grungy feel
sorry for late reply btw
>>
File: brush set-up.jpg (162 KB, 924x924) Image search: [Google]
brush set-up.jpg
162 KB, 924x924
>>2524769

Ok, first of all, use an angle jitter and flip X/Y jitter to get rid of any ugly repeating/tiling effect and add some randomness to your brush.

Secondly, use a dual brush to add additional texture to the brush. Basically, think of it like this: the first brush controls the outline of the brush, the second brush adds texture/detail within that brush outline.

Thirdly, you can add a texture to the brush for additional effects.
>>
File: brushes.jpg (123 KB, 921x749) Image search: [Google]
brushes.jpg
123 KB, 921x749
>>2524769
Just screw around with the texture setting under the brush settings
>>
>>2524783
wow! this looks like what i was looking for, thank you! im gonna try it out
>>
>>2524785
thanks m8
definitely gonna mess around with that stuff a bit more, i feel like ive been overlooking this
>>
File: brushes.png (162 KB, 600x514) Image search: [Google]
brushes.png
162 KB, 600x514
>>2524769
Hey OP, where did you get the second to last image from (right under where you wrote w.i.w)? I'm guessing it's from a preview of a brush set somewhere? I'm currently fiddling around with some of my brushes too.
>>
>>2524862
http://www.deviantart.com/art/Digital-Oil-Brushes-Free-Download-597379459 have not installed these myself, i was just looking for quick examples. but i'll try them out too
>>
File: 02.png (84 KB, 259x272) Image search: [Google]
02.png
84 KB, 259x272
>>2524429
are you fucking serious... it has a signature in the fucking corner.
>>
>>2524783
This is a quality post.
Now, I don't have much experience downloading brushes, but I thought the main point of it was not having to mess around with those settings. Don't the brush presets get saved along with the brush?
>>
>>2524528

yeah right, kyle, you cant fool us
>>
>>2529181

Brush presets are indeed saved with the brush, so if you want, you can make as many variations if you want, using just one brush tip shape. You don't have to change settings then, just switch brushes.

An important reason people download brushes is because of the custom brush tip shapes and brush textures that are available. So, if you want nice grass or fur, or leaves for trees, or a cool decorative pattern, you can just download them instead of making them yourself. Another reason some people download brushes is because they want the same brushes as their favourite artists.

So, download the brushes you like, but I would recommend making your own brushes as well, or at least pick apart brushes you download to see what makes them nice.

Once you know how the settings work together, it is so amazingly easy to make your own brushes, that are unique and work just the way you want to, even just for a single artwork.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.