[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So.. lets talk comics shall we? Id like to find an interesting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: everyframeapainting.jpg (95 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
everyframeapainting.jpg
95 KB, 1600x900
So.. lets talk comics shall we?
Id like to find an interesting way in constructing Panels the same way you construct frames in a movie. Do you know a artist worth studying or have ideas how to be innovative in telling the story or emotions of the character by Panel itself and not just his or her face?
>>
>>2510543
Reverse engineer storyboards from movies. Every time there is a cut draw it out (keep it quick). Do a few scenes like this and you will get a feel for things.

Film noir movies then to use a lot of shadow and shape design similar to comics, so maybe that is a good place to start.
>>
Read Frank Satoro's Layout Workbook
http://www.tcj.com/author/frank-santoro/page/17/

the composition of the page must be paralel to the composition of the panels.
>>
>>2510543

Just type "[name of a movie you liked] storyboards" on google.
>>
File: lWVTQlz.jpg (59 KB, 584x270) Image search: [Google]
lWVTQlz.jpg
59 KB, 584x270
>>2510543
imo Frank Quietly has some of the most innovative storytelling and usually has a very cinematic feel to it. Also Kevin Maguire.
>>
Look up the Will Eisner books on comics, they're both interesting when it comes to using the medium.
>>
>>2510543
>that image
so can i just draw some lines on any image and make it a painting
>>
the manga Ajin does this a lot, something i really like about it.
>>
>>2515974
I think he's talking about the composition of the shot and how it fits well into 4 panels.
>>
>>2510543
You should just watch more movies. If you read any biographies of mangaka it's one of those things they go on and on about.
>>
framed ink by marcos mateu-mestre is a pretty good one
>>
http://floobynooby.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-cinematography-of-incredibles-part-1.html

http://floobynooby.blogspot.ca/2013/12/the-cinematography-of-incredibles-part-2.html

http://floobynooby.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-cinematography-of-incredibles-part-3.html
>>
>>2510955
not op but holy shit this is amazing.
>>
>>2516176
I already do this, but right now im copying alot of David Finchers Camera work.. no close-ups and always a unnatural perspective. But id like to be innovative and do something really stylish.
>>
>>2510543
Theres a lot that can be learned from movies when it comes to interesting comic layout, but dont forget there are a bunch of things you can do in comics that you can't in film and vise versa.

Brandon Graham does a lot of very comics specific comics stuff.
I second the suggestions to look into Frank Quietly, particularly his series We3.

Also don't do letterbox panels. They were fun when they started to be used but now they are just the clear sign that the artist would rather be making storyboards.
>>
>>2520689
What is a letterbox panel?
>>
>>2510543
Comic books are not movies.

Most modern comic books look like story board for movies and end with an issue called decompression. You end reading the issue in 30 seconds and nothing ever happens because the damn artist tried to make a movie storyboard instead of a damn comic book.

Comic books has its own language and ways to tell a story. You cant expect people to pay 4 bucks for something they read in 30 seconds.
>>
>>2510543
Look up 'From Word To Image'.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.