[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
For those of you who are freelance/self employed, what is it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 400x323) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 400x323
For those of you who are freelance/self employed, what is it like, in terms of hours worked/income?
>>
>>2495375
tick tock wage cuck
trying to freelance now? i dont think your boss will like that
>>
It sucks. Better to work in a studio.

Freelancing is a nice little bonus or something to do between real gigs, but in my experience it's very hard to make a living at.
>>
everything is fine until you try to live of your art, i have to work at a school for 3 days a week and 2 days at home in order to provide. other than that, it's great living like this
>>
>>2495525
what this guy said

clients are entitled assholes
>>
File: 1455258503394.jpg (4 MB, 2825x4259) Image search: [Google]
1455258503394.jpg
4 MB, 2825x4259
It can be vastly different for everyone
For some people they hate it, working harder than a normal job to make less money, no benefits of a regular job and they destroy their passion.
On the other end of the spectrum there's people making a comfortable living doing what they love, working at home able to bond with their kids and producing beautiful art that they love.

Don't compromise on your passion just to make money. Get a day job and use that to pay the bills until you can do absolutely 100% what you want art wise for a living.
>>
>>2495375
freelance is an awesome way to make drawing be extremely unenjoyable. work ten thousand hours, no breaks ever, barely money to pay rent
>>
ITT: people without the spark
>>2495649
>working harder than a normal job to make less money
Lol no. See feng video on studio vs freelance income.
>>
>>2495659
yes but feng is talking about very competitive high end contracts. For people starting out/breaking in, it is essential to make yourself part to the race to the bottom in terms of wages because until you have a bigger base of decent clients you still need to pay your bills with your work.
People have the spark and passion to do it or they wouldnt, simply because being a freelancer for the vast majority of people is unstable, unprofitable and involves ruining your work for art directors with no taste.
>>
>>2495659

Shut the hell up about that spark nonsense. I don't care what Feng or whoever else says. All I know is it was way easier to pay my bills when I was working in a studio.
>>
>>2495659
>studio vs freelance income.
This is assuming you're getting the top 10% of freelance jobs that actually pay well
The majority of freelance jobs that you'll get if you don't have the exposure, marketing and skills are startup companies trying to go as cheap as possible or not companies at all but actually one of your dads friends.
You can avoid those kinds of jobs all together by just not relying on art as an income until you have the ability to get the best jobs.
>>
you guys are doing something very very wrong. i agree with unenjoyable etc but you can make 30/40 an hour easily.
>>
>>2495659
Or how about you just fucking post whatever he said

not gonna watch through three hours of some mongoloid muttering nonsense until they get to the relevant part
>>
>>2495668
Not to mention it's hugely dependent on where you live. Freelancing is much less feasible in much of the first world compared to countries with a low cost of living.
>>
>>2496076
PLEASE SHARE YOUR WISDOM
>>
>>2496146

there is none man, just get good, put in the mileage, put up a site, and start reaching out. some anon was sharing a list of companies on here a while ago. you'll spend a year sending out tons of emails and replying to tons of job posts (make it a habit to check a fuckton of bookmarked sites every morning) and eventually some fish will bite. then you snowball from there. make a client happy and he will most likely direct other people your way and/or check back with you later for more work. don't charge too low. seriously charge 400-600 for an illustration. long term work charge 300 per day. i believe i have missed out on work for undercharging. not for overcharging. get in touch with people doing work that is similar to yours, ask them for advice and help on how to get started.

most importantly, get rid of the idea of this being sort of a 'job'. it's extremely entrepreneurial. you run a tiny one man business, acquiring clients, retaining clients, negotiating payment/deadlines/etc is all on you.

and lastly i don't have a lot of concept experience, but i think concept art is so flooded with wannabes, it might actually be worth it to go a step further and create actual products, using your art, than to become a concept guy for hire. maybe that's just me though, my folio is not conceptish so it's not like i should be getting more work of that kind anyway.

i dunno. it's really not as bleak as you guys make it sound. but it's all on you. that can be both scary but also really liberating. nothing is holding you back from making 40-60k a year with your art.
>>
>>2496115
why is his opinion and insight even relevant to you if you perceive him as a mongoloid who mutters nonsense that you can't even bother to sift through?
>>
I make about $400 on my patreon per month. it's maybe 15 hours of work to upkeep?

im too slow to do commisions.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.