[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
since i was a kid i always wanted to draw, and now that i'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
since i was a kid i always wanted to draw, and now that i'm 19 i'm still fairly shit at it, but the thing that makes me feel bad about it is that since 3 years ago or so i don't even draw anymore because everytime i try to i see how bad i am and i just can't bear it, so i systematically throw the paper away and forget about it, untill after days, weeks or months i just feel the need to draw something again, and then the same shit happens

is there anyway to snap out of this? i don't even want to become really good, i just want to draw decently enough so i don't feel like shit everytime i do something that is supposed to make me feel better
>>
Quit being a bitch.
>>
Ask for the truth and you shall receive.
>>
pussy
>>
>>2495213
keep drawing. If you already suck, you've got nothing to lose. And the urge to draw won't go away!

Try to "see" as you draw. You make a couple of random lines, then "see" something in them, a hunched over figure i.e. then continue to put down lines and while you "see" something in it. If you don't "see" it, don't put down a line or put down random lines to get your eye going again.
>>
Screwing up is a major part of learning man.

You're just gonna have to accept the fact that you're trash and that you'll be trash for a while. But if you draw enough you might accidentally draw something that's not so trashy once in a while. And as you continue it will begin to happen more and more frequently. But none of that will happen if you keep taking month long breaks. So stop wasting time and go draw man.
>>
I was in a similar situation as you are (well still pretty crap at drawing but whatever), but a first step is you could try is to reduce the "break-time" between your frustration outbursts. Instead of waiting a week, give it like 2day break max, then some day reduce it to a 1day break, and so on.
>>
>>2495213
You have to learn to fail, man. Failing is how you learn, and you never want to stop learning. Persevere. Keep at it. The ability to do those things is what gets you through. The slower you fail, the longer you'll be shit.

Also, just remember that when you look around, people are presenting the mask. They aren't showing you all the failure (generally), they're showing you the cool shit. You don't see the 100+ thumbnails and 3 weeks of changes to some cool concept piece or whatever, you just see the finished piece. And you certainly aren't seeing the thousands of hours of practice that came before that. Everyone fails in some way, all the time.
>>
>>2495442
>The slower you fail, the longer you'll be shit

I really like how you put this.

“Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm.” - Winston Churchill
>>
File: 1420775021882s.jpg (9 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
1420775021882s.jpg
9 KB, 250x250
>>2495213
Why do we fall sir? So that we can learn to pick ourselves up.
>>now get over it
>>
>>2495458
http://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/06/28/success/

I mean, it's a nice quote, but he didn't say it, the origin is anonymous.
>>
>>2495213
>tfw 19 as well
a year ago when I started drawing, I had your problem as well. I drew some things, I looked at them, and I was embarrased I drew them. basically I kept forcing myself to sit down and draw just one or two things, and after like half a year of that, it eventually got to the point where my drawings began to look like I wanted them to look and drawing started to become fun, and I started to draw a lot more often.

so basically yes, your problem is a downward spiral, and yes, the only way to 'snap out of it' is to look the beast in the mouth and accept that at least for a couple months, half a year, your drawings will be shit and you will feel like hell. honestly, looking back, I'm not sure how I got past that problem
>>
>>2495213
Had the same problem when starting out. I put all my energy into one drawing and felt discouraged when it didn't look good. I underestimated how many studies professional artists do. You can fill whole rooms with the paper they used for rough sketches, which was an eye opener for me. I had my head too far up my ass to see that doing a portrait every other day won't get me the results I want. Instead I do 10-20 rough studies per day on cheap paper and I am improving very quickly, even though I don't put in that much time. The quantity will let you get over a bad drawing very quickly.
>>
>is there anyway to snap out of this?

You drink heavily then hang yourself.

But seriously you just need to be disciplined. There's not a magical psychological trick, you're going to have days where you want to give up and you're going to have whole months where you think your art looks like trash. Even when you're better than you were, you'll continue to see your own flaws. When you're really good, you won't notice as much as you think because it was a slow and steady grind to get there.
Just keep going. Hold on to your old shitty art, it'll be embarrassing to look at but also motivating and a good reminder once you've improved.
>>
>>2498747
My mistake. I guess the site I was on got it wrong.
>>
You're not alone. Going through the same stuff. Adds up to the rest of the bullshit going in life and everything seems even more hopeless.
>>
>>2495213
Re-draw from masters and analyze what They Do right with composition and stuff.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.