[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's that high school tier drawing going /ic/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7
File: feng-zhu010.jpg (30 KB, 300x396) Image search: [Google]
feng-zhu010.jpg
30 KB, 300x396
How's that high school tier drawing going /ic/?
>>
File: 1452588171793.jpg (38 KB, 307x297) Image search: [Google]
1452588171793.jpg
38 KB, 307x297
>listening to design cinema right now

I-I was working on my fundamentals, Feng.
>>
File: photogenic bodyguard.jpg (310 KB, 1600x1095) Image search: [Google]
photogenic bodyguard.jpg
310 KB, 1600x1095
>>2488120
I really enjoy his youtube channel, even if I never git gud I'll still keep listening because its interesting to hear some one good talk about what makes em so
>>
>>2488120
THAT'S HOW HE LOOKS? by his voice I though he's some 40 year old american guym more like the dude in pic >>2488132 than in the OP
>>
I would totally suck Feng's dick.
No homo.
>>
>>2488184
Maybe if he gives you a load you git gud instantly.
>>
>>2488184

His sperm is like strength potion from "Asterix & Obelix", if you suck him dry you get massive art gains for short period of time.

Actually the reason why you git gut after attending his school is that every student has to fellate Feng for an hour each day.
>>
>>2488193
This is the truth.

This is how you grow ligameme.
>>
>>2488161
I bet the name Feng Zhu wasnt a dead give away then
>>
>>2488382
I assumed one of his parents are asian or something
>>
>>2488120
It's going alright
>>
>>2488403

You're still in high school ironically.
>>
>>2488405
>being in school ironically
>>
>>2488416
why'd you take off the trip?
>>
feng zhu school student work is a joke
>>
File: 1437983976071.png (515 KB, 625x351) Image search: [Google]
1437983976071.png
515 KB, 625x351
>>2488161
>feng zhu
>slight asian accent
>white guy
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (287 KB, 1734x805) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
287 KB, 1734x805
>>2488423
http://fengzhudesign.blogspot.sg/2016/04/room-designs-by-fzd-term-2-students.html

You are a joke.
>>
>>2488443
>don't be from america
>don't come in contact with ppl from all over the world so wtf is an asian accent
>slightly
how am I suppose to pick that up?
>>
>>2488449
fdz at best teaches you presentation, and work ethic. the people who get accepted are people already good at what they do, and a simple 30 minute talk could give them all they need to change the "amature" art to something they can "sell"

now, i may have just went to a highschool with a fantastic art program, but the student work you posted was shit we did, granted, ill give the person credit where credit is due, their perspective is spot on for almost everything and they make the places feel lived in, something i wasn't able to accomplish, but using these as an example isn't that good.
>>
>>2488120
>high school tier
Ha, yeah right. I'm middle-school tier at best.
>>
I want feng zhu to fuck my non existent gf
>>
>>2489430
like any other normal, non-psychopathic human being.
>>
>>2488449
There's no design on those works. It's just copying and arranging reference for the most part. This is something a guy with sketch up and 3d warehouse can do in an hour or so. Why would a studio pay a fenglet for it instead?
>>
>>2489586
That's like looking at some still life studies and wondering why the artist didn't just take a picture. It's a homework assignment from a class with a supposedly high work load so I'm pretty sure they're just trying to convey their knowledge of the lesson and aren't actively trying to market their creativity.
>>
>>2488193
>>2488201
kek
>>
>>2488120
> even his person looks photobashed
>>
>>2489586
>Why would a studio pay a fenglet for it instead?

Because the vast majority of people can't do it, because they never actually DO IT. Regardless what software they use. You look at this stuff and you think "hey, I could do that too if i wanted to, it's really easy.", but then you rather do some 30 second gestures of naked chicks or a grayscale portrait study instead.

If you actually tried doing a perspective drawing like these, you'd realize that everything is indeed really easy in theory, but where it becomes incredibly difficult is to have the patience and sheer willpower to go through with it and arrange those hundreds of references in perspective and draw it in painstaking detail. Doesn't matter if you use sketchup or a perspective grid and a little bit of hand-drawn construction, that's the easy part anyway.

Feel free to prove me wrong. Fire up sketchup and let's see if you can come up with a perspective drawing of that detail and quality in an hour.
>>
>>2489586
>>2489638

BtFO
>>
>>2489520
Well then congratulations on going to a high school that was teaching technical skills that would benefit an artist greatly.

The nice thing about art is you never stop learning. Even stuff that you do constantly, you are going to learn new techniques, new ideas, and new observations that would improve your work.

So I'm not sure if you're trying to discredit the work from fdz just because the lessons taught there are similar to lessons taught at your high school. That just means that the lessons are important to learn, and important to master.
>>
>>2489638
>perspective drawing is difficult
Just make a fucking 3D model and trace it like everybody else does. Simple math like that is best left for computers.
>>
>>2489812

Are you seriously saying you need to use sketchup for every single perspective set-up you do? How do you manage to achieve perspective distortions, curved perspective, proper character perspective relative to the environment, etc by hacking your way in a 3D program because you're too stupid not to study it? Like everybody else? More like everybody who wants to not be the best.
>>
File: pespconstruction.jpg (254 KB, 1300x823) Image search: [Google]
pespconstruction.jpg
254 KB, 1300x823
>>2489638
sure it's a good skill to have, but the problem with fzd is that a lot of students leave school with perspective drawings and not much else. they are then released into a field of people who use software that obsoletes their skills.

so if i'm an AD, would i rather hire a guy who can work really really hard for 50 hours on a drawing that arranges reference, or a guy who can mash it up in 3d in a fraction of that time and have it be just as good (better actually, because i can then give the model to my modelers as a base) for the meeting?

pic is a perspective construction of mine. fun exercise, but it's not useful on the job anywhere
>>
>>2489810
no, i just brought up my school because i thought these works were nothing special.

however, my point stands, fdz largely does not teach anything art related from my understanding, they teach presentation, and try to drill how to do the repetitive task of drawing 20+ things VERY similar to each other fast.

realistically anything they teach can be taught in less than 2 hours, because remember, they do not take anyone in who doesn't meat their bar, as in you are almost there, they just know damn well where you need to be pushed.
>>
File: tumblr_nuc0t1pUrr1tqz96ao3_1280.jpg (389 KB, 1280x1426) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuc0t1pUrr1tqz96ao3_1280.jpg
389 KB, 1280x1426
>>2489825
>so if i'm an AD, would i rather hire a guy who can work really really hard for 50 hours on a drawing that arranges reference, or a guy who can mash it up in 3d in a fraction of that time and have it be just as good

I'd hire the guy whose drawings look the best and that will always be the guy who actually spent time exercising them and gained experience with these type of drawings, not the one who in theory knows how to do them, but never actually did them.

As I said before, whether you use sketchup or construct the basis by hand is irrelevant because that is not the difficult part in the first place. Feng too teaches his students how to use 3d programs for that sort of thing. Hell, I bet some students even used sketchup for those drawings. That's the first 20% of the workload out of the way, great. But now you have to know how to finish the remaining 80% and there is no program that does that for you. You don't go from a sketchup block-in to pic related in 1 hour and the only artists who can get there at all are those who have lots of experience with these type of drawings, not the ones who can do it in theory because everything is really easy, but never actually did them.
>>
>>2489821
sketchup is for plebs, I use Blender. Most if not all of the things you mentioned are possible with Blender, and no I don't use 3D for perspective unless it's a complex enough scene that I can't do it faster by just drawing it.
>>
>>2489586
>No design on those works

Are you fucking kidding me? Literally every room is designed to be exactly what they are. Using reference is the most important part of design.

Sounds to me like you are jealous. /ic/ never disappoints kek
>>
>>2489961
Sure, if I'm looking for an illustrator. If I want concept design, having the drawing that took the most time doesn't mean shit if it doesn't translate well into my game engine. If you take those rooms and model them out, they look like maps in an amateur mod. There are no props in there that a 3d modeler + texture artist cant handle, without any need of a concept artist. There are studios that tell their hr to reject fzd portfolios because they know the work within is just a lot of effort with nothing to contribute to their projects.
>>
>>2490514
>There are studios that tell their hr to reject fzd portfolios
name some?
>a lot of effort
because employers don't look for people who try of course
>>
>>2490553
Off the top of my head I can think of.... less than 20 fzd grads currently working at a large studio. None of them have the overdone fzd look, meaning they most likely were pro or semi pro coming in. That's over like 6 years of teaching btw.
>>
>>2488120
>fundamentals
>fundamentals
>fundamentals

Doesnt have one video explaining fundamentals.

Why?

Because you need to pay billions to go to his school and learn it.
>>
>>2490631
or you can do drawabox

all of what he talks about in terms of "fundamentals" is the grinding of perspective, composition, color etc. and also learning how to break things up into the 5 basic building shapes and with that you can literally draw anything

I love feng but there's a lot you can do outside of his school and look like a graduate (if you are committed as his students are)
>>
>>2490701

You are missing anatomy from the list.

I was under the impression FZD is based off Scott Robertson How to draw book.
>>
>>2490553
>because employers don't look for people who try of course
Is that some feeble attempt at sarcasm?

Employers really don't give two shits how much you "try", they're interested in results. Which is mainly two things, how good your work looks, and how much it took you to make.

The latter is hugely important because time is literally money to these people. If you work full time at a studio you're being paid by the hour so you better be fast at what you do or you'll just be eaten by some junior artist who does effectively the same thing in a fraction of the time by methods you consider cheating.
>>
>>2490701
Here's an objective exercise you can do: go on youtube, look up the credits to your favorite film or game, and look up the people listed under concept art. see what their work looks like, and emulate that instead of fzd student work.
>>
>>2488120
Beyond terrible.
Can't understand loomis.
Draw a box too advanced.
Edwards exercises don't help.
Classes in my area are Deviant Art level shit. Impossible to get critique from.
No improvement at all
>>
>>2492022
>Draw a box too advanced

You mean past the first two lessons?
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.