[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm only telling you all this because I want to help you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5
I'm only telling you all this because I want to help you like I'm trying to help myself. I've come here as a fellow struggling artist who wants us all to succeed.

The videos I'm gonna give you (in order of how I think you ought to watch them) are for all of you, any of you struggling, the advice I'm gonna give is for us all. Stop the projections, stop the self-hate, stop being so self-critical you cripple yourself, stop the expectations, stop nitpicking artists (you may have legitimate complains but it's a waste of time and you know it, they won't change for you). Your attitude has been the issue. Put down the competitive game, put down the distractions because you're too afraid to work on your art, hell put down /ic/, put down social media sites. You have the resources, you've had the resources. There's Drawabox, Brainstorm, Vilppu, Hampton, Loomis, Bridgman, Alla Prima, you've got the gesture sites, you've got still life. You can get the Concentrate app to block sites for X hours, you can get Habitica to use a scheduler and make it feel like an RPG. It starts today, it starts now. Pick up the stylus, pick up the brush, pick up the pencil, pick up the pen, pick up your tool and DRAW and FAIL and learn to love the frustration and learning process. No more excuses. Watch those vids, setup a plan of attack and GO AND DRAW AND START YOUR JOURNEY UP THE MOUNTAIN.
>>
File: poop.jpg (110 KB, 1011x243) Image search: [Google]
poop.jpg
110 KB, 1011x243
>>2476852
Wow it gave me the hardest time with the videos so I just put the urls in the image holy shit.
>>
If only I wasn't injured so I can continue my drawing journey :(
>>
>>2476881
Where's it hurt?
>>
>>2476852

What the hell is going on in that picture
>>
File: 1460018499384.gif (2 MB, 164x275) Image search: [Google]
1460018499384.gif
2 MB, 164x275
>>2476852
you don't expect me to read all that do you?
>>
>>2476884
My entire arm is fucked, but I should heal up soon. I'm told to stay away from drawing for a while, but I intend to continue sometime this week. It still hurts, but it's healing, but fuck I want to draw again.
>>
>>2476923
you have two arms, don't you.
>>
>>2476927
No ( ._.)
>>
>>2476923
>>
File: image.jpg (32 KB, 187x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32 KB, 187x250
You are a failure, a beautiful failure.

Now pick up your brush and strive for perfection, and fail. Have hope, rip it to shreds after the last stroke!

Just do it! Don't let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow, just DO IT.
>>
>>2476987
>Tries to comfort fellow d/ic/k
>posts designs of incredibly successful graphic designer

why?
>>
>>2476852
>The videos I'm gonna give you (in order of how I think you ought to watch them) are for all of you,
I dont see any videos
>>
>>2477001
These- >>2476860
>>2476922
If you can't read a few sentences I have no clue how you'll succeed in art but I hope you do anyway.
>>
>>2477014
not reading because i skimmed through and it looks like pseudo motivational bullshit. i could spend my time drawing instead :^)
>>
>>2476927
>Draw with your other arm
>Suffer the same injury :^)
>>
>>2476852
Where r even the fucking videos?
>>
>>2476991
Because you are shit, there's a goal. Get walking.

Or define your heroes. Picasso made like 80,000 works. He didn't let his dreams be dreams.

Get walking!
>>
>>2476860
>Facepuke
Why? I'm not a polar bear in a zoo who has to claw through a block of ice to get to the fish, you can actually just drop the videos on youtube.
>>
>>2477119
You people really are horrible to deal with and have a shit attitude. Just go to the link dude.
>>
>>2477097
>Picasso made like 80,000 works
they were all garbage though
>>
>>2477122
I'm talking about that Ryan guy, he should know I'm not a polar bear. This Feng Zhu stuff is great though, but Ryan needs to get his shit together.
>>2477123
His riches and fame tell a different tale.
>>
>>2477126
>His riches and fame tell a different tale.
So Justin Bieber makes great music, right?

Picasso was great at marketing. We're talking about art here
>>
>>2476852
One thing that all these motivational speeches forget about (because they're told from a position of success) is that even if you're motivated and you progress and you try hard and have passion, you need to WORK to keep yourself alive.

You need to make some kind of income or you'll have to put art on the side. If you don't have a supportive family that pushes you towards an art education or supports you in general, it's going to be you and you alone.
It's fucking hard to progress when you're starving for money and you can barely buy art supplies. In some countries it can be really hard to find a job, even a temporary one. These jobs are often draining and stressful. It's HARD to PROGRESS in this kind of situation, and you progress SLOWLY. I don't know what kind of people give up because they have to face a little failure on their way, but it's weird to me that these motivational speeches seem to be directed at those, instead of people with legitimate problems who are making enormous sacrifices to pursue an art career.
>>
>>2477123
>>2477126
This is the kind of crap I was talking about. A lot of You guys would rather argue about a dead mexican dude and hate on things rather than focus on your work or be positive.
>>2477166
While I get it can be tough for a lot of people, I'm under the impression there's a good chunk of people here that have a lot of free time and just don't utilize it properly. I know that's the case for me- I've allowed myself to get distracted on the internet and with games instead of just buckling down and doing art. If you really can't afford a few hours a day then maybe you ought to consider a different field. As for supplies... honestly Feng is right, all you'd need is some generic pens and printer paper (or you can save up buy a tablet for a few hundred then never have to spend money again) which are less or the same as a fast food meal. Books? Videos? You obviously have internet and a computer likely capable of executing video and PDF files, so there's all your resources for free.
>>
>>2477264
It's not like reading and watching videos makes you better. You still need time. The majority of what makes you improve is the time you spend on drawing. When the reality of things comes into play and you're facing the need to provide for yourself, you have to put drawing to the side. This means you'll progress even slower. It's a vicious circle.

Most people who "made it" from this situation either made it in the last century when there was no competition (compared to this day) and jobs were plenty, or made it because of factors that didn't relate to skill.

I'm not gifted and I don't believe in it. I also don't believe that drawing for 2 hours a day is enough to ever get anywhere in the current scene.

I really want to go on, I've been scared as shit as these couple years went by, but all I obtained is a noose around my neck getting tighter and tighter. Of course I improved but I'm not competitive. I don't have an audience, I don't have any income. Now I'm broke and depressed. I'll have to get a shitty day job soon (in my country that's a job on its own, there are almost no jobs for a loser with no qualifications like me) and that will likely mean I'll have to say goodbye to this career 'cause I'll get home completely drained.

I don't know what to do. At this point I don't even feel any motivation to keep throwing the creative vomit into the toilet. You NEED something back for all of this.

Really close to a nervous breakdown (again). I'm already on antidepressants so I wouldn't know how to fight this one. I love drawing but I'm not getting anywhere like this.
>>
>>2478200
post blog
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.