[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi dudes. I want to get as much attention around my work as i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4
Hi dudes. I want to get as much attention around my work as i can, but i don't know what i should do. I know my skill lvl is better than alot of stuff that's getting alot more attention, but i don't know what to do in order to create some buzz around my stuff.

The main reason my work isn't that popular is because it's mostly gritty and dark stuff that most pple can't relate to i think. Should i just start doing alot of fanart and stuff so i can start earning atleast some money from it?

Pic related. Not my work but similar.
>>
you do photo copies?
>>
>>2476781
no, why? Because the work i posted to demonstrate the type of style my work usually has is one?
>>
>>2476797
If you are good enuff people will like it.
It sounds like you are having a bit too much inflated ego.
Post work
>>
>>2476815
I was going to post my work, but i couldn't find a way to explain my situation without sounding a bit pretentious, so i'd rather not post any work in fear of it being recognized.

I don't look at myself as an artgod or anything, i still have a ton to learn for many many years to come, i just think that my work is starting to become good enough for me to earn some money from it. The problem is that the kind of work i love making, is not the kind of work that alot of people want, so that's why i'm asking for advice on how to maybe change my work a bit, or if i should sell my soul and do some fanart or whatever. I'm kind of lost when it comes to this stuff, and i thought of /ic/ right away.
>>
>>2476843
No one here gives a shit about your work, post it and we'll provide critique.
>>
>>2476845
this
>>
>>2476843
Imo all art does have an audience if
1) you really like what you create
2) it's actually good fundamentally
The problem is more likely the latter one
So post work.
>>
>>2476845
>>2476897

does it really matter if you see my work or not in this situation? All i'm looking for is advice on how to get people to notice any potential stuff that sells well.

Let me rephrase the question then, what sells if you can draw?
>>
>>2476921
>Let me rephrase the question then, what sells if you can draw?

pic related doesn't really sell. anything that is just photorealistic copying with some surrealist /edge/ isn't going to get you work. maybe it's something you put up at a gallery but who apart from pretentious gays are going to buy that.

srsly you either do photocopies or like to draw pictures that look like edgy calvin klein commercials. there's nothing else to assume from what you've posted. nothing that shows any potential of getting gains from incorporating fan art, because i doubt you could draw anything like the OP pic and have it look realistic enough from your imagination to have any impact
>>
>>2476921
The shit that sells is shit people want on their walls. Neutral shit.
Pretty women, flowers, landscapes, and, for younger people, hipster looking shit.

You're making home decorations, remember that. People will buy your work based on the color of their couch.
>>
>>2476928
I don't like the pic from the op that much, it was just the only thing i had saved that is kind of in the same universe as my stuff in terms of mood.

Alright, forget my work then. cause it doesn't matter. What sells if one can draw?
>>
>>2476933
finally, thanks for the input.
>>
>>2476935
fan. art.
>>
>>2476937
Do people actually buy fanart prints and hang that stuff on their walls? Seems weird to me that THAT is such a good business.
>>
>>2476947
people like to have pictures of stuff they like. not surprising at all
>>
>>2476947
not everything people buy is hung on walls. yeah stuff like that is sold as posters, but there's stuff like clothing, prints, stickers, accessories, you can sell original drawings, comics you've made, childrens books, etc. but for the most part you need an audience. even the best artists can starve if they don't know how to market themselves

the best ways to get your work sold is to make it into something that you can sell like the stuff above, or use it to help make something that someone else is making e.g. game development, book illustration etc .
>>
All of these threads.

Im really good.
Post work.
Sorry i have this retarded excuse.
Delusions
Thread
>>
>>2476972
never said im really good
sound kind of pretentious in op
don't want my work to be affiliated with that
thread is basically about how to promote yourself and sell your work better, a topic everyone here can benefit from discussing.

I don't get where the problem is, man.

>>2476949
true

>>2476969
ah ofcourse, i didn't think of merch. That probably sells really good if you can manage to get an audience. Thanks for the advice, dude.
>>
>>2476980
connected to that* I have no idea why i wrote affiliated wth
>>
>>2476980
Just post something that at least gives us a vague idea of what you do.
Right now I don't even know what to say.

Do you draw naked men getting hit by water pellets ?
If so there are a lot of women who would buy prints of men being hit by water pellets.

And if your problem to posting is fear that people will tell you it's shit...
That's something you need to know before you market it to plebs.
>>
>>2476990
I just said why i don't want to post my work, in the actual post you replied to. But once again, it doesn't matter at all. And why would you not seing my work affect your opinion on what sells today in any way?

I'll look through my stuff and see if there's anything i can post, although i have no idea why it's so important to you.
>>
So you want as big an audience as you can get, but you don't want to post your work? You are retarded. Do you seriously think you're going to get doxxed or something because someone doesn't like it?
>>
>>2476995
Some people might recognize it, and it has my signature, but oh well.

Graphic novel idea im trying to make, not quite the usual style of my stuff, this is alot more gruesome and in your face than most of it.

It's close enough though, and this kind of thing doesn't really cater to alot of people, and i want to do something about that so i can start to earn a few bucks on my own, without having to work for a studio.
>>
File: Psycho style tryoutssmall.jpg (601 KB, 2500x1448) Image search: [Google]
Psycho style tryoutssmall.jpg
601 KB, 2500x1448
>>2477000
forgot pic
>>
File: Jesus3ic.jpg (488 KB, 1500x1839) Image search: [Google]
Jesus3ic.jpg
488 KB, 1500x1839
>>2476999
>>2476999
no, that's not the reason at all. I've stated why i didn't want to post the work 3 times already.

But i posted it now, and i just wanted to discuss what sells, because it can help me, and alot of others to have a discussion around that.

Here's another example. Again, i don't look at myself as godtier or anything, i just think i can earn some money if i start making something that doesn't only cater to my own interests.
>>
>>2477003
this is the unfinished version btw. Noticed that now. I'll make the finished version smaller and post it. Give me a sec
>>
File: Jesus3finishedic.jpg (726 KB, 1500x1839) Image search: [Google]
Jesus3finishedic.jpg
726 KB, 1500x1839
>>2477003
>>2477004
>>
>>2477000
OK, it's an idea that's been done before. So I now have some vague idea.

I remember some very edgy comics I've read on /b/ and they had good appeal to that crowd.
But they were done really well as if the artist had no remorse over what he'd just drawn.
There is a market out there for that kind of stuff, but it has to be done well and the people who buy it won't find out about it conventionally.
It's the same situation for Japanese H-manga artists who draw lolicon.

Meaning, the best way to generate attention is like everything else, networking with artists who draw something similar to you and enter into their network.
>>
>>2477005
>>2477002

I actually like your work. You're at a decent level of skill.

The easiest way to draw attention to your art is fan art, and distributing this on various different social networks, really.

I mean, you can still do fan art that fits your "gritty" style.
>>
>>2477006
The only reason I can`t think why it isn`t selling the way you want it to is because you have no clue how marketing works.
>>
>>2477006
That sounds like a good idea. I've been looking for these kind of graphic novels and comics for quite some time now, or just artists who do kind of macab and edgelordy stuff, but i can't seem to find anything. Do you know of any?
>>
>>2477007
yeah i guess that's true. Thanks dude.

>>2477009
That may be very true. Do you or anyone here know of any good resources where i could learn about marketing yourself as an artist?
>>
Don't bother fueling this fucking popularity rat race, you're pretty good so just get a nice industry job and get some consistent income and practice.
>>
>>2477015
popularity isn't really a goal or even motivation, all i want is cash so i can eat, without having to do something i hate all day. Concept art isn't really a huge interest for me.

What i would absolutely love though, is something like living off of doing book covers, album covers, just selling prints and maybe some merch. If i could be able to pay my rent with that, i would be a happy camper.

I think i should ask around for advice on marketing myself, and maybe read up on it.
This thread proved really usefull, thanks alot dudes.
>>
>>2477012
Lots of indie artists succeed with the web comic format. Small weekly releases that generate attention to who you are.

I`ll think about some ideas, cause it`s beneficial to me as well. It`s something I don`t know very much about personally.
>>
>>2477019
I didn't say you have to be a concept artist. There's a wide gamut of of in-house illustrator jobs you can get in a whole bunch of industries. Living off freelancing or popularity is a mug's game imo
>>
>>2477015
>>2477022

I agree with this guy, but also understand your POV.

Lots of people spend time working in an organization before they make a big hit.
>>
>>2477022
Yeah that's true. I just automatically think of concept art when i hear or read "industry jobs"

Illustrating for a company would almost be the same as fanart though, atleast i would imagine that's how it feels. Unless it's an original project you really love and have alot of freedom with.

Selling merch and prints seems like a great thing imo, if you can manage to get a big enough fanbase ofcourse.
>>
>>2476843
There are tons of gothy / emo / metalhead shitters out there who are into dark and edgy stuff. Just sounds like you're not marketing to the right people.
>>
>>2477036

agreed , tumblr, deviantart artstation ect all have there own type of audience and art they like. Don't bother posting dark art to a place where all they like is cute shit and fanart.

A good example is I made some concept art of a historical figure and posted it to a total war forum and got a lot of responses and feedback.The same piece on deviant art got jack shit.

I'd suggest op find some music forums and maybe horror forums and post his work there.
>>
>>2477668
This is the kind of thing that's genious about these discussions, i would never have thought about this at all. Thanks man!
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.