[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/ic/, how do I deal with being a crazy perfectionist about my
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: P_Distain~2.png (153 KB, 398x432) Image search: [Google]
P_Distain~2.png
153 KB, 398x432
/ic/, how do I deal with being a crazy perfectionist about my art? I never think it's good enough and expect to be the best at everything and get pissed off when I'm not. What do I do?
>>
>>2475476
post your work.
>>
File: IMG_20160406_102810.jpg (2 MB, 1944x2592) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160406_102810.jpg
2 MB, 1944x2592
>>2475477
Well I'm working on this right now but it's pissing me off
>>
that's simply your big ego
you have to accept you're not the best and have to learn first just as other people
>>
>>2475483
xD
>>
>>2475484
OP here, I phrased that improperly, I meant that I want my drawings to look a certain way, and whenever it doesn't look that way in my mind, I get pissed off
>>
>>2475483
Throw it away, pick up fun with a pencil, and then get frustrated legitimately. You're getting worked up over nothing wait until you start getting into perspective and foreshortening hands and then come back and tell us how buttmad you are.
>>
>>2475483
You have no talent, give up.
>>
>>2475491
Never
>>
>>2475477
Irrelevant.

You just need to change your behavior and stance on art. Doing quick studies, like gesture drawings, sketches from life ...etc then you should never fixate on the details and it'll help you work away from the perfectionist attitude.

I have the same problem when it comes to some finished works. I shouldn't have spent 3 hours polishing a turd, I should have timed myself to take an hour on each idea. Instead I'm stuck with 1 polished turd, when I could have 3 really decent studies the each deal with a different scenario of lighting, perspective etc.. It's more bang for your time-buck.
>>
>>2475489
That's exactly what the anon was saying. You have an ego. Whether or not you tell yourself outloud you don't have one, doesn't mean you're mind set is stating you do have one.

Learn how to drop the ego. Everyone has their own way of fighting it. Until then, practices the basics.
>>
>>2475496
Alright anon I'll do it, thanks
>>
>>2475496
>Irrelevant.

How was that question irrelevant that should be the very first thing you should ask someone when they say how frustrated they are with drawing as you can see he is an absolute beginner who's frustrated at the fact that he doesn't know what he is doing yet he wants to "perfect" whatever it is he is trying to draw he is frustrated because he has no direction he doesn't know how to get there and what he needs is for someone to tell him to go and get frustrated at drawing from life instead of Christopher Hart's How to draw Manga book.
>>
>>2475483
Learn form, perspective, anatomy, etc etc.
Read the sticky.
>>
>>2475483
I'd be pissed if I made this too
>>
>>2475503
Whether they're a beginner, or an expert. If they feel they're spending too much time on a drawing, then it's a problem. Making them post their work can help send them in the direction they need to go in, but ultimately, that was not OP's question. And because OP posted the work, we get people like:
>>2475491
Derailing the thread.
>>
>>2475511
kekekekekekekek
>>
You get over it.

It's okay to have a desire to improve. Perfectionism can be a drive to better yourself, the people who draw shitty art and think it's great don't improve, and many artists nitpick their own flaws.
That said, if it reaches the point where you're constantly angry/self hating, you need to try and fix that. If drawing is constantly unpleasant and frustrating, you'll have a hard time gitting gud. You need to reflect on what your limits are, and notice when you've exceeded what you've done before. Both might be shit, but if you use yourself as your own measuring stick you'll notice your own improvement and be a lot less miserable.
>>
>>2475476
That's what being an artist feels like.

Have fun with your career choice for the rest of your life.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.