[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where tf is the main light source direction in this? It looks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /ic/ - Artwork/Critique

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: daverapoza-spooky-witch.jpg (877 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
daverapoza-spooky-witch.jpg
877 KB, 900x1200
Where tf is the main light source direction in this? It looks awesome but it's confusing me trying to figure it out. Are you guys able to spot it?
>>
>>2473920

It looks like top left but the face feels very off
>>
>>2473922
Maybe it's from a small flash light
>>
>>2473920
Theatrical lighting.

As if a creaw if light guys were pointing bunch of limelights at her fron here and there
>>
>>2473920

Here is sort of rough and very simplified guide on how lighting works in digital painting.
It's usually either one of two options:

1. The artist used photographic or 3d reference. The result is very realistic.

2. The artist invents the light source and just paints what looks right to him. Result is less realistic.

This pic appears to fall into category number 2. The lighting is made up as he went along based on his visual library of countless studies. Don't think too deep about it.
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (879 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
879 KB, 900x1200
something like this. Upper portion of the face being in shadow is for dramatic effect but also because the face is turning away from the main light source..The only thing that seems off is the highlights on the face should be much weaker than the ones on her butt, because of the fall-off from the light source.
>>
>>2474015
One up the butt, one in the face. Classy Repoza.
>>
>>2474013
Not really. The main light source and the green fill light make perfect sense. Only the red rim lighting is somewhat nonsensical, but it's such a large light source, bleeding everywhere that Dave probably thought he could get away with adding it wherever he thinks it'd look cool.

You shouldn't jump to conclusions just because you don't immediately understand the lighting setup an artist used.
>>
>>2473922
This. It is top left.
Face looks fine to me, sounds like your personal preference.
>>
I think it's top left but a shadow falls across the upper half of the face. There is a soft green light on the chest and face at a 3/4 angle, and the rim lighting is just ambient.
>>
>>2474681

I think your right, the part that was throwing me off was the face and nose being underlit seemingly.

Double checked in the mirror I think it probably would work though, It's just the top left light musn't be very high
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.